How can DC even compete?

How can DC even compete?

Other urls found in this thread:

blacknerdproblems.com/ta-nehisi-coates-attended-his-first-nycc-panel-and-lord-i-hope-hell-come-back/
news.mongabay.com/2013/09/the-brown-bears-of-bulgaria-life-after-dancing/
youtube.com/watch?v=olqPODTcRHI
youtu.be/ShyrnGuElQc?t=140
twitter.com/Jennifer_deG/status/791747167354429440
tezmilleroz.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/tez-talks-the-case-of-chelsea-cain-and-why-public-perception-matters/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Last night Ta-Nehisi Coates attended his first Comic Con panel at NYCC 2016 and, judging by his facial expressions, it might be his last. The panel, titled in the program Race & Gender: a Conversation with Ta-Nehisi Coates & Steve Orlando, was to feature him, DC writer Steve Orlando (Midnighter, Virgil), and be moderated by Professor Jonathan Gray, but as you might have noticed and raised an eyebrow at the all-male panel, a late addition was added and Miz Caramel Vixen, creator of #BlackComicsMonth, joined the writers and professor onstage. And it wasn’t long until things got weird. And then weird turned awkward. And then awkward turned into Coates eventually hailing a cab in front of me on 37th and 11th avenue having left the Javits Center and running for freedom with the Chariots of Fire theme music playing softly from nowhere. But I’m getting ahead, let’s back up here. Why was it weird?

>The panel brought up topics of contention in the nerd community — “diversity” as a buzzword, the “big 2” of Marvel and DC versus independent publishers, who’s allowed to write what types of characters — but what made it awkwardly hilarious was the increasing demand for answers from audience members from a place where answers would not be found. From the first 10 minutes Ta-Nehisi seemed to realize that he, as a powerful voice and a writer for Marvel, was being seen as a powerful voice within Marvel with the ability to storm corporate conference rooms to change Romani representation, greenlight superhero crossover series, and solve every fan’s problems. I felt I could almost pinpoint the moment he perhaps realized he wasn’t talking about comics with other people who loved comics, he was being held accountable for comics by people who were angry at comics.

blacknerdproblems.com/ta-nehisi-coates-attended-his-first-nycc-panel-and-lord-i-hope-hell-come-back/

>With the onslaught of attacks against Marvel and DC — two publishers that many of us, including Ta-Nehisi, grew up with and loved — empathetic audience members might’ve wanted to send him a sign, a blink code, something to say “it’s not normally like this” as the tone of “eff the Big 2” — an actual quote of the night — was painting his first experience of the largest convention in his own city. If I were him I would have believed myself trapped in a genjutsu, because how could this be real life? In one instance dialogue turned to Roxanne Gay’s signing as the first Black woman to write for Marvel, to which Miz Caramel Vixen — a long-time supporter of diverse comics — explained why some have suggested it a slight against Black women writers who have been in comics a long time, and that those people found it “shady.” “If it’s shady for Roxanne, then it’s shady for me to be here, too,” Coates replied, not out of anger, but seemingly out of exasperation towards our collective propensity to balk at a Black writer’s success, to make perfection in diversity the enemy of good. And the hits kept coming at Marvel and its new, involuntary-but-de-facto figurehead, along with DC’s analog in Steve Orlando who looked one wrong question away from “I’m just here so I don’t get fined.”

>>Audience members keeping score could count the number of strategies Orlando and Coates used in response to the recurring discomfort, like rifling through your weapons inventory to see if you have anything that could be effective for a scenario in which you didn’t expect to find yourself. Passivity, directness, and assertiveness were all met with a continuance of negativity to the point that questions were inevitably followed with a 5-second pause while Orlando and Coates passed psychic messages of “you got this one?” One question challenging the decision-making of Marvel, yet again, and shortcomings of art, led to Coates resigning, “I don’t know why anyone reads anything or does anything…” before following up to discuss different people’s motivations for reading and his own internal struggle in quantifying the utility of art. The panel’s success, from my seat, was an exploration in fandom’s diversity of expectations more than the panelists sharing their perspectives on diverse representation in writing.

>Ta-Nehisi
What does this word even mean?

>>There’s an old scene from The Simpsons where Bart and Lisa heckle baseball star Darryl Strawberry from the stands. When Marge suggests it’s not very nice the kids reply “they’re used to this sort of thing,” secure in the knowledge it rolls right off their backs as a secret tear wells in Strawberry’s eye. The scene came to mind as Coates hailed his taxi: a professional writer, undoubtedly having faced worse, yet facing the expectations to answer for something much larger than him, than any of us individually, in a realm that was meant to bring joy. I thought of asking to discuss the panel, to hear how he felt about questions he was asked and expected to answer, but the man deserved peace. Creators have a lot to answer for in their work, and that’s part of the fear that debilitates so many from achieving their goals, but that with which any published writer has likely come to terms. What might be unexpected is reaching a level of popularity that your status as a writer is seen to carry more power than what you can squeeze from a pen. And it’s the punches you don’t see coming that hit the worst. Ta-Nehisi Coates will hopefully be in comics a long time, and this experience — strange is it may have been — will hopefully be put into perspective with many more panels to come.

Paying shitposters and that one guy on twitter.

>change Romani representation

What happened to the Romani activist guy? Did they eventually kick him out after he hijacked the mic at every panel he attended?

He got gassed by PAD.

>Coates says that his first name, Ta-Nehisi, is an Egyptian name his father gave him that means Nubia, and in a loose translation is "land of the black".

He's literally "we wuz kangz and sheit" the person.

>Nubia
Lost temples?

They look so haggard and exhausted. Unkempt, unhygienic, unhappy hobos.

Based.

>tfw they will never run a train on your multiverse

Seems pretty Marvel to me.

No, he was obviously in the right.

Isn't Nubia a girl name?

>Ta-Nehisi Coates
What is he, some kind of Klingon?

Did Grant get the Okay for volume 2 of Earth-one Wondy?

At this point I don't think DC is in any position to say no to Morrison

lol no he wasnt faggot

Got arrested for squatting in an empty apartment

He could want to write about an event revolving around Kite Man and DC would still allow him.

The industry, ribbit, tumblr and twitter disagree. Half of Sup Forums too.

Romani are trash not liked by anyone

>event revolving around Kite Man
Fund it.

>speaking for half of an image board that you cant even accurately gauge
>trying to speak for anyone other than yourself

son, I've been to Bulgaria, I've traveled in a bus with romanis for over 24 hours. My girlfriend is bulgarian and had a hungarian roommate. They all hate gyppos. If you spend any time near gyppos you will learn to fucking hate them. They used to enslave bears and make them dance in Sofia, infact there is a whole shelter dedicate to the bears the romani fucked over.

news.mongabay.com/2013/09/the-brown-bears-of-bulgaria-life-after-dancing/
They also break their kids legs and starve them so that they are more effective beggars. And the rest of the romanis do nothing to stop this terrible behavior and in fact encourage it.

>Half of Sup Forums too.
No you fucking retard. Literally every post about that was calling pad based and shitting on gypsies

Nubian actually ruled Egypt for an entire century you fucking nigger.

>white woman in a burka
>probably doesn't know that she would get beaten by a real Muslim for writing haram
Is this pottery?

>calling a hijab a "burka"

murican education everybody

>I felt I could almost pinpoint the moment he perhaps realized he wasn’t talking about comics with other people who loved comics, he was being held accountable for comics by people who were angry at comics.

did you mean Sup Forums

After King started to make him a meme, they'd be crazy not to.

Yeah, well... Muslims are not exactly loved around here, boy.

Poor guy had no idea what he was getting into. Comic fans are cancerous.

So you learn about Muslim clothing in school? Do they go over Christian and Jewish ?

Curiosity: when you see someone using the "we wuz kangz" meme, do you think they're mocking the idea of African kings existing?

Because I guarantee even Sup Forums acknowledges Africans had kings.

"fans"

Snyder legit looks like he could beat someone up.

Cucks
Chads

Different user, I do. I know the joke started from how fucking insane "hotep" theories get, but the joke is so overdone it might as well mean that.

I think he's doing Multiversity Too: Flash and Batman Noir first

and hopefully Seaguy Eternal

Honestly, I'm really far out when it comes to Sup Forums culture and I got no interest in furthering my knowledge of it. Sup Forums is cancer and a cesspool of morons but for fuck sake I hope they're not dumb enough to not acknowledges Africa never had any kings. We're talking about a continent which a known history that spawns for over 3000 years. Sup Forums acknowledging that Africans had kings is exactly like Sup Forums acknowledging Marvel and DC hires black writers. It's a simple fact that doesn't hold place for any debates.

My interpretation of the ''we wuz'' memes sterns from blacks are appropriating white (or any other) cultures and history in order to elevate theirs. Such as when a fraction of black nationalist will insists Shakespear is black (watch this : youtube.com/watch?v=olqPODTcRHI ; Louis Theroux is comfy as fuck).

>I hope they're not dumb enough

Actually it mostly stems from images like this. The whole "Remember, we didn't start off as slaves" even though most black slaves in the US were taken from West and Central Africa while Egypt is in Northeast Africa (and had black slaves too).

The absurdity comes from black Americans who are more pan-Africanist than actual Africans are. Imagine an Irishman bragging about the Holy Roman Empire as an example of how great "his people" were in the past.

>Marvel writers are politically correct and out of shape
>DC writers are all ripped Chads

WATCH IT MARVEL

>Imagine an Irishman bragging about the Holy Roman Empire as an example of how great "his people" were in the past.
You man Sup Forums?

>Holy
>Roman
>Empire

Fuck off Voltaire I was making a point

I'd read a comic about the DChads

I want to share a pint with these lads

You don't want to fuck with any Snyder that works for DC.

>trapped in an genjutsu
What the actual fuck.

>that issue when they go to the beach and bodyshame fatties
Wew, how did they even publish that?

Those kids who were watching Naruto in high school are now in their mid-20s

The only people who post and talk about egypt shit like that are what black people call Hoteps.

I don't know how it became an "ALL BLACK PEOPLE BELIEVE THIS" thing

Black people love shonen

The same way anything David Duke says became an "ALL WHITE PEOPLE BELIEVE THIS" thing. Some people just like to simplify and strawman.

>Hickman: my feet hurt, I wish I was at home writing sentences on blank pages & that wall could use an over designed circular logo

AFAIK we haven't elected any hoteps to public office.

>Leave Bendis?BendisTheWriter to me

youtu.be/ShyrnGuElQc?t=140

Just listen fuckin Percy who wrote new Arrow, this man is Tiger Force himself.

Problem?

pff, boys club

Not for lack of trying. Remember when Reverend Al "We were philosophers before those Greek homos" Sharpton ran for the Democratic presidential nomination?

Feels good, man.

Ok, I'll bite. How do you defend coming to panels about other people's issues and hijacking the mic and making it all about your pet problem?

It's the same thing the Steph autists used to do, haranguing Didio at every panel he was on. Comics are read by dysfunctional people eager to spread their dysfunction everywhere.

>Mahnke looks like his art.
Is Frank Cho secretly a buxom woman?

>SJW
>intelligent
>making sense

twitter.com/Jennifer_deG/status/791747167354429440

If he is, he's a master of disguise.

>if only you knew how bad things truly are

That doesn't answer my question, but the criticism Cain got counts as abuse, then I've (and probably most of us) been abused all my life.

Who's Katie Hopkins and what was her role in all this that got people angry at her too?

Dr. fucking Doom is a gypsy.
Romas got nothing to complain about.

>That doesn't answer my question
Yes it does. If SJW think what Cain got was abuse then how can you not see their logic is "celebrate women, blacks, this exotic romano race and others and portray them in a good light or else you;er a racist sexist white guy!"
PAD had to make two apology posts.

They're complaining that he's a dictator, thus reinforcing "negative stereotypes".

Is there really a negative stereotype of gypsies as dictators? Thieves, maybe. Dictators?

Oddly, googling the two names brings up an internet controversy from two years ago involving her:

tezmilleroz.wordpress.com/2014/09/05/tez-talks-the-case-of-chelsea-cain-and-why-public-perception-matters/

He's evil and a communist dictator. And apparently he steals. The romani activist actually named Doom as a negative portrayal of gypsies in pop culture.

>3 of them are gone
>the other 2 write mediocre to shit comics
so much for the architects

Don't forget Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch, the only Marvel heroes so popular they're appearing separately in two separate franchises by two separate conglomerates.

The guy on the far right looks respectable.
But all these guys are alphas.

Aaron's not bad and he is readable so his great artists aren't wasted

Seriously? He's the baddest of the badasses and the one character that every reader respects and they complain?
He saved the fucking multiverse or whatever the fuck happened in last Secret Wars, I didn't read that bullshit.
Much better if you ask me, than a thieving, stinking scammer which is what most of them are.

if given a choice, who would you hang out with: the cool bros whho justw ant to tell stories or the SJW faggots who want to push their agendas?

After years of getting ruined by Bendis Dr. Strange had a chance to be redeemed, but then Aaron ruined him even further. Fuck that guy and his interracial fetish.

the group with semen demons.

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch had the decency to repent their past with Magneto and make amends by joining the Avengers and fight in the premier superhero team to defend the entirety of the human race and the universe from the greatest of threats. And Romas are still not pleased?

DC has Lupacchino

Marvel has ???

> interracial fetish.

i thought you were going to raise some kind of decent points but then you got all weirdly racist

DC has Joelle Jones

I don't know, thanos rising, original sin and the recent doctor strange are pretty shit and that's a good chunk of his recent work.
His thor is divisive but I think it's alright save a few points.

I'm not weirdly racist, I just think it's retarded that he's still pushing his Whor/Sam shit when he's already banging Misty.

i think dautermann is one of the best artists at the big 2 rn. thanos rising and original sin were a while ago