Hey, Sup Forums. I don't know shit about comics, and there's no sticky here...

Hey, Sup Forums. I don't know shit about comics, and there's no sticky here, so I'll just be annoying and ask: what comics do you enjoy the most?

I've read Arkham Asylum, The Killing Joke, and Y:TLM.

Michael Deforge
Hellboy
Love & Rockets
Doom Patrol
Peanuts

Mosaic
Hellcat
Gwenpool
Champions

I dig the non-superhero comics most:
>Y: The Last Man
355 is the reason I enjoyed this.
>DMZ
Vote Parco
>100 Bullets
Awesome crime story
>Punisher MAX
Ennis' run was good
>Scalped
>The Walking Dead
it got boring and repetitive really quick. I still re-read the earlier issues though

I'm the same as you but I started reading The Sandman a couple of days ago. Pretty damn good, I can see why it's so praised

Superman red son
Batman dark victory
Batman the dark knight returns

Heres a few to get you started

That's actually on my backlog along with Watchmen and Hellboy.
Thanks, user.

I really want to read Watchmen, but I should be somewhat knowleadgeable about capeshit to properly appreciate it, right? Not that I mind superhero comics.

Saga of the Swamp Thing and Planetary have been the western stuff I've had the most fun with.

>I should be somewhat knowleadgeable about capeshit to properly appreciate it, right?
What you need is knowledge on how people felt about the state of the world during the Cold War. You can enjoy it just fine without knowing anything about capes.

DMZ
Not OP, but I'd like to hear more about this.

I do know that, and its commentary on the state of the world and people's behavior during the Cold War is exactly why I want to read it. But isn't Watchmen a deconstruction of superheroes to an extent?

My personal favourite comic of all time is Marvel 1602, by Neil Gaiman.

It has Everything.
And it sums up comic books wonderfully at the end.

Why are things in comics the way they are, despite not always making sense?
Because they're much more interesting this way...

Do you know what deconstruction means?

The meaning of the word has changed a bit, honestly. People keep calling stuff like Madoka a deconstruction of mahou shoujo shows, when, in the literal sense of the word, it isn't.

Now, and correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't read Watchmen, isn't it constantly praised for being a deconstruction and parody of heroes? Or for portraying thier behavior in a more realistic manner?

Watchmen is given credit for "putting superheroes in the real world" and "giving them real problems". This was already a thing when Marvel started out in the 60's and made their heroes quite obviously more human than their DC counterparts were, with more personal problems and such. Don't be daunted by the reputation Watchmen has.
Also read Squadron Supreme, it's another 12-issue miniseries that came out during the same time period and might offer up an interesting comparison.

First off, know that there is a big 2 in comics (Marvel and DC) and everything else falls over the elusive Big 3rd. Let me give you a short list of mini comics to get you started.

>Marvel
Spider-Man: Gauntlet
Cable and Deadpool
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Beta Ray Bill: God hunter

>DC
Suicide Squad (John Ostrander)
All Star Superman
Batman Long Halloween+Dark Victory
New 52 Wonder Woman
Superman / Batman (Jeph Loeb)

>3rd
Empowered
The Boys
Bone
Hellboy/BPRD
We3

Have a good time OP and welcome to comics.

Thanks, anons. I'll probably read Hellboy after The Sandman.

You may also enjoy Punisher MAX

Know that Sandman does not exist in a vacuum and is full of references to other things, meaning you will sometimes find yourself lost.
Also it has a spin-off called Lucifer which is pretty neat, you can start reading it after the fourth volume of Sandman.
Also pic related.

Usagi Yojimbo is my favorite comic. I'm not big on capeshit, Y The Last Man and Locke & Key are some of my favorites that have endings. I'm also huge on TMNT, both Mirage and IDW.

I'm watching the lucifer series and had no idea it was related to Sandman until I read that chapter today. Heck I had no idea it was based on a comic. I was pleasantly surprised.

It's a pretty cool story about a modern day civil war in the US. A reporter is has to survive in the demilitarized zone (New York) after his helicopter is shot down

>that list
that is the most mediocre list I have ever scene.

Uncanny X-Force

If you don't read this, you're dead to me.

>is full of referenced to other things, meaning you will sometimes find yourself lost
That's even better, honestly. It usually increases the reread value for me.
It does look pretty nice, actually.

You should read John Ostrander's Suicide Squad (volume 1, #01-66, 1987-1992). It ties up some of the loose ends from The Killing Joke, which you've already read. I really enjoy it a lot.

Also, here's a guide so that you can "know shit" about comics.