Secret Origins

Batman.

I'm waiting

The main parts of this issue I wanted to post are "The Killing Peck", which is the Penguin's origin, and "When is a Door?", the Riddler's origin.

I think it's pretty obvious what inspired these.

British writers always seem to forget nobody in America says "bloody".

This is the only Penguin origin I can ever remember.

HERE I COME!
rougher than the rest of them!

I ain't gonna let it get to me. I'm just gonna creep.

Yep

Got it.
Good to know it's THAT story.
Deleting post for possible kind of but not really spoiler.

It's also actually the first time Riddler wore his now trademark bowler and suit.

Bye, Not-Jaws.

Penguin's a tough villain to pull off. But the one consistent aspect of him is his sheer cruelty.

This is a true Batman classic right here, it's got a great short tale, it's got the memorable villain, fantastic art and masterful layouts.

Also
>Finger Yard
I love those little callouts.

The only think that annoy me in this comic are the TV staff aways: "Hurr! Durr! Famous villain wants to give us a free interview and say eveything about his life? Nah! He isnt a big fish!"

Oh and
>They used to build giant props for advertising stunts-- they all worked, too
references Bill Finger's propensity for putting giant objects in many of his stories, including of course the iconic giant penny and Joker playing card.

I think Glenn Howerton should play the Riddler.

As fun as this story is, I can't help but feel like it was a bit misguided to make The Riddler the torchbearer for the 60s "everything is kid-safe" approach of the Silver Age - yes he was the villain most associated with the Adam West show, but as campy as that was... he actually still tried to kill people in it. Gorshin did a good job at conveying how hard his murder-boner for Batman and Robin got.

Riddler was really one of the most bloodthirsty villains on the show, now that I think about it. Joker just wanted to get rid of Batman and Robin, Riddler seemed to always want to torture them.

The Killing Peck is easily my favorite of the three stories... others have tried to expand upon Alan Grant's backstory for the Penguin here, but I think he hit jussst the right amount of tragedy in Oswald's backstory, so it's somewhat understandable why he's such a bitter fuck but also you can see that he's a petty fuck who literally hunts down his old school bully for revenge. Other stories that expand or retell his backstory all try at least a little too hard.

You could justify it by saying they were just trying to kill Batman and Robin, whereas now Joker just kills innocent people for the fun of it.

How is Penguin tough to pull off? He's just a gangster with a bird fetish. Almost every run had a penguin story.

Kingpin status. You can put him in the Jail, but he aways comes back with the throne cleaned for him

I think the Joker's Asylum story went a little overboard with how insane he was. Which, of course, goes back to this story here that points out that they're constantly trying to up the ante with the violence.

The above is what I'm talking about, because he's a bit silly even by Batman standards writers try to make him extra hardcore sometimes.

Grant did several excellent stories with him, though. Great job balancing the classic criminal aspect with the modern crime boss.

>Autism Speaks

Ah, so this is what that page is from.

Riddler spinoff program starring Andy Kaufman

Prepare for trouble

>Tells a forced joke to mess with your kid
>He ends up insane for the rest of his life

Dad humor creates super villains

I have a friend who is a very, very big Two-Face fan, and this is one of his favorites.

Great to hear this. Few people give Harvey the love he needs.

According to him, the biggest problem with a lot of Two-Face stories is the writer doesn't quite understand what he represents. Not Good/Evil, but the conflicting views regular human beings have. Do the ends justify the means? Do two wrongs make a right? Harvey sees chance as being the way to maintain balance when justice isn't black and white.

He's a great guy to listen to. Very insightful.

Harvey just stood at the window, waiting for the perfect opportunity to yell his quip loud enough for them to hear through the glass.

Hervey is pretty much not just between caos and order, he is the tentive of putting order into caos. Justice is arbitrary and the universe don't follow rules. Randomness rules the universe, and letting randomness rule his life is the way Harvey see how everything should work.

At least this Nolan got right

>your image contains an embedded file
Your mom contains an embedded file.

Very good post.

HE STINKS, AND I DON'T LIKE 'IM

And that little punk in the top corner grew up to be the Mutant leader from TDKR.

And of course we can't sell a Batman villains' issue without the Joker!

Thanks for reading, folks.

From one Texan to another, thank you.

>Citizens! How is living in a city where maniacs and terrorists cause mass murder everyday?
>Meh! At least is not detroid!

Thanks OP! Glad to see that in this board full of elitist oldfags and virgin rage you can still just relax and enjoy some batman without someone bitching

10/10

LOL leave it to crane to troll some reporters

>A college professor wanting to make a lecture for free

Dropped

Is that John Constantin?

Hey john!

Riddler sure is creepy in this considering how loudly he's saying he ISN'T creepy.

Wonder if that's on purpose.

Well, he did go full murder after this comic

The Riddler rides faboulously a lot of phallic things

I guess this was him deciding to reinvent himself.

Though hell Riddler was pretty murderous even in the silver age, he just never pulled it off. Dude pioneered the deathtrap.

Harvey is so great in this, are there other stories with him like this? Also props to his ex, I felt bad for both of them