The Orville Review: Seth MacFarlane's Somber Sci-Fi Dud Crashes and Burns

tvline.com/2017/09/05/the-orville-review-fox-seth-macfarlane-sci-fi-outer-space/

It's official, The Orville is shit but is that really any surprise? MacFarlane is one of the most pompous, overrated hacks in show business.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CrGMh7tO6dk
youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0
sfchronicle.com/tv/article/MacFarlane-is-lost-in-space-with-Orville-12169901.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ah, man I actually had a little bit of hope for this one.

I guess science-fiction is done guys.

>tvline.com
Literally who

Not even slightly, MacFarlane is way too far up his own ass to produce anything other than shit

Did they watch the whole season or just one episode

I'm not sure if it was the whole season but the reviewer does mention things that happen in episode 2 and 3 so at least that far.

>expects a comedy
>admits it's not a comedy early in the review
>continues to review it as if it's a comedy

This is just "House isn't funny" all over again

Because they keep making shitty jokes that ruin the atmosphere.
>serious scene serious scene PEE PEE POO POO HA HA HA serious scene serious scene serious scene

It's not a comedy?

They sure marketed it as one....

The first three episodes were put out for reviews.

This actually made me a little more optimistic than I was. I had written this off as another McFarlane comedy but if this is trying to be a serious trek show, that's awesome. This literal who website says the characters and plots have bad writing, but maybe that can be improved?
Premise can't be changed (family Guy comedy in space vs serious trek show) but writing quality can always be changed for the better.

I want this to succeed, but the more I look at it the more obvious that it's a dud

>there are ZERO (0) good sci-fi shows left on TV
We're in a dark age, mates

that would be fine if his dramatic writing wasn't also heavily reliant on esoteric pop culture references

Not surprising at all. Looked like total unfunny dogshit.

Seth McFarlane is poison outside of Family Guy, which is well beyond its prime.

How can all members of a specie be male?

I get the impression that he's trying to do "what if Joss Whedon wrote star trek you guys?" but can't pull it off because a) Whedon hasn't been good since 2004 and b) star trek isn't supposed to be a comedy drama

I've got the horrible feeling that despite the reviews I'm going to like this. I found A Million Ways to Die in the West funny too, my brain isn't normal.

How could they NOT?

you probably smoked pot one time and that's what ruined your brain.

Stop oppressing homosexualoids jesus christ!

They have mechanical wombs they can just cum in?

>star trek isn't supposed to be a comedy drama

Brutal

Quark dressed like a nigger who just received a large settlement

it can have comedic elements here and there but it's not a sitcom.

Sure but being funny doesn't immediately make something "not Star Trek"
It makes it different than the others, but not by much.

Look at Galaxy Quest. Very Star Trek. Very funny

It's almost as if Ferengi are obsessed with profit and wealth.

Ill still watch new family guy episodes because theres always at least a few good jokes. I have no desire to see Seth Macfarlanes face on screen though. He just isnt funny on his own. Its like he tries to hard or something.

They have been pushing it as a comedy in every promo. What do they expect?

Prove to me this guy isn't just a massive pleb, I clicked on the author's name and most of his articles are about reality shows, so I suspect he isn't the target audience.

It makes no sense to have word for sex if they are all the same.

They used to have women, but they thought they were too much trouble for what they're worth

It's sad to see Seth MacFarlane get so much crap whenever he does any kind of project, whether he's producing/writing/acting/etc. in it.

Look, I know it's popular for people to jump on the hate-bandwagon like they're all uniting against some common enemy, but really? C'mon guys, you're criticizing a guy who pursued his dreams, had his animated hit TV series cancelled TWICE but still brought back from cancellation (which is now in its FIFTEENTH season, btw), spent a good freakin' chunk of his money to bring back Cosmos (AND whose production company, Fuzzy Door Productions, produced the animated bits for the reboot) as well as create an archive at the Library of Congress dedicated to THE Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan, is an activist for gay rights, and is a Star Trek fan (which makes sense for why he'd want to do this show)?

He's not some comic book super-villain, people. He was a kid from Connecticut who started out drawing characters from the cartoons he would watch, making flip books, and even publishing a weekly comic strip in his local newspaper (and even getting paid for it) at age nine. He's a person just like you and I.

And here's something else to think about: did you ever watch Hanna-Barbera cartoons like Dexter's Laboratory, Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, and Johnny Bravo? Well guess what, smart guy? He worked for Hanna-Barbera as both a writer and a storyboard artist for many of those shows' episodes.

And just to piss off the MacFarlane-haters: he once dated Emilia Clarke for about six months back in 2012. If you don't know who she is, then do us all a solid by googling the name "Daenerys Targaryen".

The Voyage Home is one of the most popular Trek movies, and it's basically a straight comedy with a science fiction premise.

It literally was a "sitcom" form time to time. The situation lead to comedy. The original series nearly always ended on a joke, and they had weird episodes like when Spock got high and smacked Kirk around, TNG had entire episodes about one or more character being a goofy bastard, or a ridiculous situation arising from a miscommunication on personal level. DS9 has about a full season's worth of comedy, if you excise out all the drama, along the series full run. How about the episode where Quark goes into the Wormhole to save the Nagus from the Prophets' machinations? Pure camp.

Voyager can only be enjoyed as a sitcom.

And, holy shit, I can't believe I forgot The Voyager Home.

Every once in a while, search "the one with the whales" on Wikipedia (without the quotations), it'll know exactly what you're looking for.

no one suggested any of those things. I just don't like his work. he's obviously a smart & talented guy that shits out pablum for the masses and shits out way too much of it for any to be good.

There's still the expanse going.

Oh right
Yeah, I guess that's alright

Not if you account for a translator-convention. The species presents masculine, so for the sake of coherence, the translator presents a masculine word. However, if there is no electronic translator, they could simply choose that word, because they understand the conventions of English and most-of-humanity enough to know that, though asexual, they appear male. So they go with it.

Considering there was a strong Galaxy Quest vibe on the marketing, I don't see why people wouldn't be expecting a comedy.

Two men can have sex.

Maybe if he didn't plaster his fucking punchable fucking face in everything he did.

Sure thing

They can, yes, but making offspring would be a tad more difficult task. Hence in all male species, sex would most likely be very foreign concept, as there wouldn't be any biological need for it.

Really, with a single sex species, would they even have genitals?

>It's sad to see Seth MacFarlane get so much crap
He's a billionaire, no it isn't

The consternation comes from the fact that the reviewer acknowledged right away that the show is not a comedy, then reviews it on its merits as a comedy.

My push-mower isn't a golf cart. Now, as for its merits are golf cart: Terrible.

But you were told beforehand that it would be a golf cart and you purchased it on the assumption that it would be a golf cart. Shame on you, what a terrible comparison.

>car analogies
I need Sup Forums to leave

What if your push mover was sold to you as a golf cart?

is that from reddit, because it sure smells like it does

that went south so fast!

Close enough, I Googled it and it's a YouTube comment from someone with this as an avatar.

Are you being serious? Who cares what some literal who critic on some bullcrap website has to say? Are you interested in seeing the show? That's all that matters. Form your own opinions, if you are capable of such things.

why is the troll logo someone in doggy position with a stink lines coming off their head?

>golf cart
>car
I need retards to leave

maybe he's european?

They're not a troll but a fighter of trolls.

>shills are on full damage control

>market it as a comedy
>starring a guy known for comedy
>oh it's not a comedy btw
what were they thinking?

Probably something like "oh shit we can't directly compete with Discovery, let's piggyback off the Family Guy comedy credentials"

HUURRRR SHILLS LOL

I don't care either way about this show. At all. But I'm not going to let someone who gets paid to complain about TV shows or movies tell me what I should want to watch. That's reatarded.

the expanse is great you uncultured swine

although there has been a significant drop in writing quality since book 2 (season 2 episode 6 onwards) which is pretty worrying

>doesn't believe in consumer protection
go back to Rapture you libertaritard

Wow, a Seth MacFarlane show is shit. Water is wet. More news at 10.

Move over Seth, and let your actually funny twin brother Sath take over:
youtube.com/watch?v=CrGMh7tO6dk

youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

watch this and tell me this is not a comedy trailer

>only YOUR opinion matter
is this kind of arrogance that is destroying the west

What a complete fuck up

sfchronicle.com/tv/article/MacFarlane-is-lost-in-space-with-Orville-12169901.php

Holy fuck according to every review out MacFarlane actually unironically cast himself as a straight, dramatic, Kirk-style lead. Not a satire, not a parody, no winks, no irony.

The fucking ego on this man is completely out of control. I hope the massive budget on this flop burns all of his Family Guy good will and keeps him out of work at FOX forever.

still gon' be better than STD xD

cbs shills in the house

>MacFarlane apologists are a thing on Sup Forums now
Sup Forums has gone JUST

not an argument

Consumer protection is for facts, not for subjective opinions like move or TV reviews.

Didn't stop everybody from loving rick and morty

THAT WENT SOUTH SO FAST

Seth can't do live action

This has always been true, his le wacky reference humour belongs confined to fox animation

>"STD might be okay, give it a chance, wait until it comes out before you judge it."
>this is considered shilling
>"Orville is going to be awesome, I'm going to watch Orville instead of STD, haters are going to be BTFO!"
>this isn't considered shilling
Really makes my positronic neural net go click click beep beep whir pop.

First Ted was some dumb luck for this guy

So what the hell is it? I was expecting Star Trek parody. Maybe not as good as Futurama, but something in the same spirit. We got incompetent captain played by comedic actor, goofy alien and some weird comedic dynamic with the ex.

Now you telling me what I'm supposed to expect is just plain Star Trek rip-off?

>Form your own opinions

by all accounts, yeah

there's """"jokes"""" in the episodes, but it's mostly played straight

>believing anything liberal media writes

Like everything else "deemed shit" by your average critic these days, if you actually take the time to watch whatever it is, you'll see it probably flies in the face of one gay lefty ideology or another.

>jews shitting on mcfarlane again

huh go figure

Jeez Lois, this is even worse then when I ripped off Star Trek.

The expanse is good but all the actors are trash。
Pretty much the opposite of The Strain.

You fucking troll I'm not talking about geopolitics for fuck's sake. I'm talking about movies and tv shows I choose to watch. That's the thing: I choose, not some dipshit on a website.

Thomas Jane is a fucking treasure.
But yeah, literally everyone but him is shit

RIP

Just like Million Ways to Die in the West?

If it worked in Enemy Mine, I'll allow it on a McFarlane show.

I have a spoiler for you if you haven't read the books. So don't read this if you don't wanna know.
He comes back

I'm surprised that (((they))) haven't come for Seth yet

Family Guy is more "problematic" than South Park

>it's so bad they need to pretend it's not a comedy

Maybe they mate with other species like reverse Asari.

>something made by seth macfarlene is shit

Wow who could have seen that coming?

I haven't, but I totally expected it since we saw that his waifu wasn't really dead and was alive in the protomolecule.