This is where Disney lost its charm

This is where Disney lost its charm.
Flashiness became king from this point onward, resulting in very soulless productions.

Ariel is best Disney Princess

They made a comeback and they rolled with it; can't blame them for that. Up until that movie Disney animation was in a bit of a slump commercially.

Ok.

You have no idea what you're talking about and it shows. You don't call the Renaissance period films "soulless" and expect anyone to take you seriously.

>muh Disney renaissance

I bet you think Lion King is the best movie ever

oh, I got to hear a reason why it isn't. Take your best shot.

>great songs
>based Sebastian
>one of the best 2D animated Disney villains
>faggot OP

If you wanted a Disney renaissance thread all you had to do was ask, OP.

While he's not quite right, he's not entirely wrong either. This is where Disney began making movies that lacked the charming simplicity of the classics, but without having the substance needed to be works that challenged the audience either (something Don Bluth wanted to rectify in his own contemporary work).

This is also when Disney started producing overt Oscar bait in their musical numbers, instead of a more organic approach to musical composition.

So while I reject the criticism that these are soulless productions, they are in some ways much more conservative, almost cynically crafted pieces.

Wait, what classic Disney films do you consider better?

Is there any negative more meaningless than "soulless"? Besides "meme", anyway

After Walt died, the company was at a loss for what to do with themselves for many years. The late 80s and early 90s is when they finally started to find their own voice again, even if it was different than Walt's. It had to be. And currently they are reinventing themselves again. It's what he would have wanted.

Disney films haven't always been perfect, and I don't suck the dick of every Renaissance movie, or at like Disney's never made any flops. I just can't stand pricks like OP who act like "muh classics" are the only valid Disney films. People like this don't have any idea how much the company has struggled to stay afloat over the years. When Disney was alive was actually some of the toughest times for their company because during the war a lot of their features weren't selling. It's thanks to the somewhat flukeish success of The Jungle Book that the company even still makes animated films, and that's partially because Disney died during production, so crowds filled theaters in his memory.

The Disney dark age of the late 90s and early-mid 00s is the fault of hacks like Michael Eisner raping the company and forcing them to make shitty sequels.

Not the best ever, but one (1) of Disney's best, yes. Hercules and Aladdin are also really good.

>After Walt died, the company was at a loss for what to do with themselves for many years. The late 80s and early 90s is when they finally started to find their own voice again, even if it was different than Walt's. It had to be. And currently they are reinventing themselves again. It's what he would have wanted.

Oh sure, and I don't want to come across as overly critical of the direction they took once they even found one at all. Those classics were products of their times, the sort of merch driven focus tested productions weren't really a thing in Walt's day, so when I say the relatively new films are cynical, it's not even an entirely fair comparison (even though it's an accurate description).

Cahgrab I'd say.

Do you think it's not so much the movies that have become cynical, but your outlook on them as you've gotten older?

No, I'm well aware of the differences in the creative process in both eras of Disney pictures. It's not that Walt wasn't interested in doing what it took to be commercially successful, but he didn't (because he couldn't) play to metrics in the same ways.

Had a huuuuge crush on her as a kid.

Oh get fucked.

Really, get fucked.

The film instigated by a gay man dying of AIDS in a period where it was shunned cause his lifelong dream was to work at Disney after working his balls off as a fucking amazing lyricist and getting Alan Menken his fucking position as the go-to guy for Disney's music in Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, Hercules and Pocohontas only to succumb to AIDS in the middle of Beauty and the Beast whilst writing the lyrics for it on his death bed in hospital and never seeing the final product before pulling all the producers and animators of Disney into a cramped-ass room and fucking educating them on what Disney used to be and how they were made to animate musical theatre and fucking instigating the Renaissance itself soulless?

You pleb. You sweaty, mouth-breathing pleb. Crawl back into your corner and shut the fuck up.

OP NUKED

Glorious.

FUCKING RUINATED

I'm sorry, but being dedicated doesn't necessarily make a person capable.

Less one fag in the world. AIDS does it again!

Samefaq