This guy had to be just an animator director, all his movies sucks plot-wise but are beatifully animated

This guy had to be just an animator director, all his movies sucks plot-wise but are beatifully animated..

>beautifully animated
Let's not go that far. I love Don Bluth for nostalgia mostly but learning even the basics about animation will show just how atrocious his animation style is.

I dont get why they didn't just hire good screenwriters who know their shit

Do those exist?

>why they didn't just hire good screenwriters
And art directors/character designers. For example with pic related. These characters don't look like they belong in the same universe. This happens so much in his films it's insane.

Then there's the animation issue. No offense I just hold the opinion that Don's animation style is just not that good. It's good enough, but not actually "good" if you know what I mean. His characters move around a lot and have a high frame count but the actual movement is sloppy, jarring, weightless, often lacking real purpose, and all of the characters move exactly the same. I've seen many people say that the animation style of his films make them feel uneasy and they don't know why.

In one of my animation classes he was actually used as an example of what not to do. That has to hurt. Sorry, Don. I still love you but I'm not a kid anymore and I can see how flawed your work is now.

and there's so much goddamn obvious rotoscoping it drives you up the fucking wall.

Exactly. Rotoscoping is fine when done right, or intentionally meant to look like rotoscoping. But Don's movies never found a proper balance. Snow White is a perfect example of what it looks like when done well.

Then we compare that to Bluth, and, well

No the perfect example would be Fliescher Superman

I don't get why one would be better than the other here.

I'm sorry.

Fine, just keep on spouting bullshit without being able to back it up.

Actually no, you know what, you gave a sincere response, so I'll respond in kind. I can't say I know everything there is to know about animation, but I do know at the very least that there are 12 basic principles that any animator worth their salt abides by. One of the most important principles is "solid drawing", which Bluth's films break very often, especially with their human characters, but his worst offender is the film Anastasia in my opinion. Their features tend to be very wobbly and change shape and size subtly as the character moves, which is a bit unpleasant to look at (even subconsciously) whereas humans in Disney films rarely have this problem- though it does happen in Pocahontas a bit, and that film is often criticized for having lower quality animation than Disney is known for.

Notice how every movement and angle of Snow White, her features remain intact, her features stay consistent any direction she turns her head with very close to no awkward twitchy movements. The artists working on her have a good understanding of her proportions. This doesn't come across as much with Anastasia, whose features seem to go all over the place depending on the scene. If you watch both respective movies frame-by-frame you'll see that Don'd faces tend to go slightly off model a lot.

Another tip I remember getting is that a character's mouth movements should never be too distracting. No one really moves their mouth this wide when they speak, and it's not necessary for a cartoon's mouth to move this way, especially if they don't have a highly stylized appearance. It looks very unnatural and you end up becoming a little too aware of the mouth as it moves. And when you consider that Anastasia is not yelling, but whispering to herself, in this scene, it looks even more out of place.

I hope this basic explanation gave you a little insight. I also hope it didn't have too many typos since I should be sleeping right now.

Excuse me And it's not bullshit. Animation has rules that need to be abided by no matter what studio or style of drawing is used. It's not really a matter of debate. I still like Anastasia for what it is but the animation itself isn't very good.

For what it's worth though, I think Banjo the Woodpile Cat is his best work. It's also probably one of his least known, which sucks. Don Bluth would have probably thrived more if he stuck to making short films like this instead of trying to make feature length films.

Damn, I loved his films as a kid but this all savagely true. I knew that there was something odd when I saw his films recently.

Goddamn stop being a fucking hipster! We don't care about this autistic shit!

>Board about cartoons
>doesn't care about animation discussion.
I bet you're one of 'dem 'der waifu folk, ain't cha?
>>Sophie when?

On a board for people interested in comics/animation/other related media, you shouldn't be too surprised that the nuts and bolts of our hobby is discussed and opinions aired.

You are perfectly free to skip those kinds of posts of course, if not for the fact you clearly love being angry about stuff.

Well, just being angry seems to please you.
I know, this is Sup Forums, perma-angry is a lifestyle.

>Expect thread to have shitposting
>Is actually an educational discussion on how animation functions
Neat.
Not an artist of any kind myself but it's always interesting to understand the thought process behind this stuff.

your speech is pretentious as fucks and you act like some kind of "artistic nazi" "muuuh this way of make the things is the good one because some teacher tell me that:"

nobody cares about what you saying when they watch a don bluth movie.

>nobody cares about what you saying

*nobody cares about what you are saying

You certainly care enough to comment.
I'm sorry that everyday english triggers you so much, perhaps it's your second language?
Or perhaps you're just one of the less fortunate yanks for whom any kind of english is too much?

Pretentious contratarians are annoying though. Just shut up and fucking like things.

Your autism triggers me.

I'm not really sure what she's supposed to express with her face. In the middle of the gif, her eyes open wide as if she was seeing something horrible.

I kinda see what you mean when I look at her shoulders.

he's just some contrarian hipster pretending to be professional and have "sensitive taste" but literally just sperging out for nothing of important.

I think anything outside your own skill set will trigger you.
Poor kid.

B