Who is the best Wire character and why is it Frank Sobotka?

Who is the best Wire character and why is it Frank Sobotka?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BRNm21GWEJY
youtube.com/watch?v=SMe-3jFdwLY
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Poles_in_Baltimore
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Did they say Kurwa even once?

bunk is the best wire character

FUCK YOU

AND YOUR WINDOW

Muh union
Muh docks

He literally did nothing (everything) wrong, he was just looking out for people that depended on him

His sons gf had a nice rack

Frank was the only criminal on the show whose motivations were purely benevolent. He was trying to help the people around him in his union and in his family and unlike the other drug kingpins he wasn't doing it for personal gain.

Fuck you, its Cutty
Goes straight, helps kids and slams milfs.

at least you got the season right

BLUE STEEL, GENTLEMEN

three and a half inches of blue steel

What's an ass dick?

valchek is the best character

>Giving
>alcohol
>to
>a
>duck

Why do people like this idiot?

>literally every single person on the show hates Valchek
>he ends up police commissioner

pure kino

*gets punched*

>*gets sucker punched*

ftfy

Uncle, not son. Otherwise you're right, they were surprisingly great.

Why was he so obsessed with muh window?

Daniels' reaction is one of the best faces ever made on television

>not this suave motherfucker

Step your game up

Oh yeah

What a great show

Saved for fapping

That guy was based on the real Jay Landsman, who was a Baltimore homicide detective and the protagonist of Simon's first book, Homicide: Life on the Street which was also turned into a tv show and on that show Landsman was the inspiration for Detective John Munch, who would also appear on Law and Order SVU. The real Jay Landsman was actually on The Wire, it was this guy

I always wonder why Simon decided to depict his close friend with this fat fuck

He's a loser, a clown and seems mildly autistic. He's Sup Forums the character

>and on that show Landsman was the inspiration for Detective John Munch, who would also appear on Law and Order SVU. The real Jay Landsman was actually on The Wire, it was this guy

in addition to all this there's a scene in The Wire where John Munch makes a cameo, and he's sitting at the same bar as Jay Landsman/Lieutenant Mello

what a mindfuck

It wasn't about the window really. He was a loser in the Polish community, then he got in bed with the city and decided every Polak should worship him but they still think he's a loser. Sobotka's window is just a representation of that

I sure like that idiot

The real Jay auditioned for himself.

youtube.com/watch?v=BRNm21GWEJY

Because this scene was pure concentrated kino

youtube.com/watch?v=SMe-3jFdwLY

Lester>everyone else

Never thought about it this way but you're right user

Season 2 was such a fucking great season, I couldn't believe it when they went straight back in Season 3 to the gangshit.

Do Poles really have a communitylike the fucking Irish in Boston?

???

The feels user

Why is season 2 the best?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Poles_in_Baltimore

Because you're a hipster and you read that normies dislike it

Not him, but on my first watch I couldn't get into season 2. I was still invested in the street story and wasn't ready for the sudden divergence. On rewatch I'm loving every scene. It just works. Frank and his nephew are great, the Greek and crew are great, and it still keeps up with the most interesting people in the streets crew.

It also has some top tier McNulty and bunk

Because of Sobotka

That sack of shit had it coming.

IMO S1 drops you right into the amazing story and you're invested from the go, S2 starts luke-warm but gets better and better and better
IIRC S2 is also where McNulty figures out that one of the Jane Does who fell off the boat belongs under Rawls' jurisdiction, right?
>spending a working day doing amazing police work to make life harder for the guy who fucked you over

I always though it's more about Valcheck being an old-fashioned guy. Racial tensions were nothing new to his generation, they most likely faced with it growing up. Not to mention their parents, who were often 1st gen immigrants.

Because of these they were taught (willingly or not) to represent their people "properly", even if it means going into pity arguments. Plus Polaks known to be very religious, so Temples (and thus their windows) are valuable to them.

I really don't think he wanted to get his window up there because of his love of the Polish community or wanting to represent them properly (cause if he did, why would he care about HIS window being the one that gets fitted?) I think it's fairly obvious it's just a status symbol how much money he spent on it

>mfw every single so called critic missed the meta narrative of season 5

The one where David Simon goes REEEEEE NEWSPAPERS ARE SHIT AND ALSO THE JOURNALIST WHO MADE SHIT UP IS MY OLD BOSS SUCK IT?

>tfw all the stringer bell, avon and d'angelo tension

that was my shit.

Sounds like you missed it too user ;)

Maurice > Saul

I liked the waitress at the beginning of S3

Exactly. Maybe I should have worded better, but I never doubted that his reasons were personal. In my experience, people around that age often like to flip the narrative to support their current opinion or agenda.

I agree Valcheck indeed wanted his windows because it's a status symbol, but also because it's a(n objective) achievement. Which gives him the powerful "I did it for the Polish community" card, even if it's a lie.

Do you have a picture?

I kinda remember there was that whole legal clusterfuck with him in S5. He found out about McNulty's illegal wiretap, and the DA found out he had been using leaked court documents to warn his clients, so the lawyers did a deal to cover up their respective malfeasances. Not sure that really qualifies as a meta-narrative so much as just a minor plot point. Everybody already knew Levy was a scumbag by then.

Wut

still couldnt drop the old man

true. I couldn't see what was so attractive about Cutty but maybe black women could

used to be, especially in Chicago, but those old ethnic neighbourhoods are all broken up as whites move out to the suburbs

except the ever classic weebey

basically he was a new single black guy in the neighbourhood who didn't seem like a total piece of shit

ahhhaaha YES! I love this fat waste of space. He was so disgusting that he almost was not possible to exist in the real world

I think he means the one where McNulty crashes his car twice and then goes for eggs and coffee, and she says "you can have whatever you want" and they fuck

The narrative that every critic missed about the newspaper storyline was not was in it, the lying journalist, but what wasn't in it, namely all the major plotlines from the rest of the show. Carcetti's machinations, the problems with the police department, the drug war battles, etc. were all completely missed by the newspaper. The meta aspect is that all those stories basically happened in the real life Baltimore in one form or another in the early to mid 2000s, and the real life Baltimore Sun completely failed to cover them too.

>didn't seem like a total piece of shit
lol since when did that ever earn points with women? He was still broke. Doing good, especially when it's letting black kids into gym and training for free, doesn't get you any money. Fruit was more a guy women might go for imo

oh, i just dismissed that as non-pertinent

La Machina

my personal favorite is the face he makes when they're trying to get his desk through the office door and he realizes they've been working against each other

Ok here's a complaint I have I haven't heard anyone else say. From seasons 1 to 3 they explain how important it is that the drug dealers have phones to conduct business, hence why they risk getting wiretapped. We see the systems they use to try and evade police detection, how the police exploit weaknesses in their systems, all good stuff.

But then we get to season 4, and Prop Joe just tells Marlo "man cell phones are too dangerous, stop using them." And Marlo does, and there is zero consequences to that. We never see how say having to arrange all communications face to face negatively effects his business. It just makes everyone before him look like a moron for not taking this apparently consequence free step.

Is this the thing where pretty much all of TV is a coma dream by that kid in St. Elsewhere?

You took the words right out of my mouth.

He went school shooter in that one scene.

Fuck maui tho

john cena should lay off fries.

i applaud simon for unintentionally spilling the guts about your average democrat-run city.

Omar obviously

>The Wire: The definitive edition
>No added material, just season 2 deleted

>Omar
The plebbest of pleb answers.

they're not polish. they're polish american.

an obesse drunk? fuck no

Omar is the best

stop being a contrarian

Fat John Cena

there was pretty big difference how marlo ran his crew compared to avon and stringer who micromanaged everything. meanwhile marlos just killing people to ensure shit gets done. he seemed pretty hands off and only intervened at the point of no return.

Most underrated character? Most underrated character

>tfw he goes from YEAH LETS BUST SOME HEADS to actual good po-lice work after Bunny's mentorship

Kinda sucks that he died on Planet P, but at least he got to go out with a bang

That scene where he gives Bodie and his crew shit was one of my favorites.

Go fuck yourself with a 40 shitbreath!

>NATURAL PO-LICE

Why is Kima asian?

the scene where he yells "keep it fuckin movin" and "fuck you!" at the truck legit cracks me up every time

Was this Method acting?

For all the attention Omar's unexpected death gets, I found Frank's death far more tragic and saddening.

Omar's death is like "oh that's just the streets, he never expected differently" but Sobotka is a respected member of society who just tried to do good for his failing industy
Fuck

You knew it was happening when he walked under that bridge in the rain but it was still a fucking shock when they opened up the season finale by pulling his body from the water. The Greeks were ruthless, fucking dumping his body right outside the Patapsco Terminal, you don't fuck with them

WMD

the scene where he yells "keep it fuckin movin" and "fuck you!" at the truck legit cracks me up every time

youtube.com/watch?v=ioPMZQyIwxc

Man I don't think Frog realizes he's white

Where's the love Bodie? Where is the motehrfucking love?

Bodie is the GOAT character, I don't care what anyone else says. His arc was fantastic

I think the docs were just comfy as fuck.