Was this kino?

Was this kino?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qCVpFu8C_UQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i've never seen, but i remember my mom and dad talking about it in the car one time. my dad thought the aliens looked like big anuses lol

read top letter of poster
>T O M C R U I S E
of course it is, no matter how shitty

An unironic 10/10

Watching it right now on Netflix quite good.
Is the book any better?

Could be were it not for the kids. Like no kids at all and it's a solid 8/10, being generous considering that ending.

youtube.com/watch?v=qCVpFu8C_UQ

I haven't read it in a while but the book can seem pretty detached, there isn't a lot of emotion of personality to the narrator. Other than that it's still pretty good.

This you have the whiny little cry baby 11 year old.

And the let's go fight aliens without weapons brave robey

I can't think of a more forgettable soundtrack desu.

What's different in the book does it give you more of an insider of aliens?

Does it give you a reason why robbie wanted to fight aliens so bad without weapons?

thats a nice tiddy

It's written more like a historical account than a personal account, so some bits about the martians that would be conjecture on the part of the narrator is just treated as fact.

Since it was written back in the 19th century the technology is different, and the humans are actually able to fight back for a bit but eventually get overwhelmed by chemical attacks from the martians. One of the things that pisses me off about WotW adaptations with magic martian energy shields is it makes human resistance utterly meaningless; in the book the humans briefly turn back the martian advance before the martians change tactics and start gassing everything, and from then on the scattered military can at least delay the martians to help the civilians evacuate.

Nah that was just retarded.

I liked it until the ending

I liked how everything was in tom cruises point of view, we only knew what he knew.

So the books doesn't tell the point of view of Ray like and the movie?

And how does it ends?

I remember that the aliens were using the humans as batteries right?

>the car scene at the restaurant

same as movie. microbes kill aliens

What was wrong with it?

Most of it is from the point of view of the narrator, but again it's detached. The narrator doesn't talk about his past, what other people are like, what their names are, almost everything is focused on the invasion/surviving the martian occupation.

Then ending is the narrator gives up and tries to commit suicide by attracting the attention of the martians but finds out they're all dead/dying of disease.

Yes. A masterpiece and one of the best 9/11 films.

Finished reading it a week ago. Both are similar but mostly different. I liked the movie better but the book is def worth a read.

It was just intense.

It really is a perfect example of post 9/11 cinema. Most people either don't realize, or have forgotten how much of it was directly inspired by 9/11.

I legit thought the girl was gonna be stuck there and get raped afye after the guy got into the car by the broken window.

How was that movies inspired by 9/11?

One thing that bothered me about the movie

>technogically advanced alien race
>don't know enough to wear gear to protect against harmful pathogens

They created them.

How could they know maybe they had a good row destroying planets and shit so didn't even bother puff

The radio show that Orson Welles did is the best version by far. People were freaking the fuck out because they thought it was a news report.

>the ferry scene where cruise and crew scramble across the forrested mountain top as a big fuck off ayy walker roars above

The shots were magnificent. Whole movie had ground breaking cinematography.

1953 version is so much better. I expected typical 50s sci fi and got seizure-inducing 50s Star Wars on steroids.

Appeal to masses with a slight undertone of burgershart post 9/11 mayhem. Artistically it was still pretty great.

I really enjoyed it. One of Spielberg's best desu, with a handful of unforgettable scenes.

The beginning was so strong the rest of the movie doesn't really matter. Overall 8/10

It was more a reaction to the time, an age of paranoia. But direct inspiration can be seen in the fearful, running mobs of people, the few individuals filming the horror, and more overt shit such as
>w-what's going on?! Is it the terrorists?!?

For one the movie is littered with imagery of mass destruction and death. It was the first movie after 9/11 to show that level of destruction. In the 90s movies did it freely and without thinking anything of it (see: Independence Day). After 9/11 directors stayed far away from images of mass destruction in blockbusters because they no longer seemed meaningless given the events of 9/11. War of the Worlds deliberately took that image on and used it meaningfully. Also the whole film's depiction of the war and the depiction of the aliens can easily be seen as a commentary on 9/11. The grotesque tales of the aliens' feeding on people is reminiscent of the media colouring America's enemies with gruesome stories so that a war can be waged without feeling conscious of the enemy's humanity.

The whole movie is also filled with imagery of other historical massacres, eg. all the Holocaust imagery.

Then you have conspiracy nutters like Tim Robbins who is pretty easily a post-9/11 construct.

The whole movie brah.

Oh yeah I get it.

>where did it come from?
>somewhere else
>like Europe?.

I wanted to see the military fight the aliens more. The hill battle scene is probably my favorite.

>The scene where the girl doesn't know if her father died or the tinfoil hat redneck

The first half is absolutely kino. No kid wasn't shook to their core by that bwong,

NOT MY BLOOD

Almost, Tim Robbins and the third act derails it too much. Still decent tho