Amazing Spider-Man #3 storytime!

First appearance of Dr Octopus

Anyone reading?

The end

Thank you, user!

Is it asking too much to want comics to be like that again?

Do they even do self-contained stories that start and end in the same book anymore, or is everything multi-issue continuing storylines now?

That's not bad.
If a story spans over three or five issues, it's good.
Any more than that though, and you're liable to lose focus if you have to wait a month for each issue getting out.
Especially when characters from that same story, appear in other titles published the same time.

Man, Spidey crossed over with the F4 a lot back in the day. Was he supposed to be some sort of spin-off of them, or was it just a heavy ad push?

They were marvels only two superhero comics at the time, except for the Avengers.
Only The Hulk had his own solo series, but he wasn't really a super hero.

Hulk wasn't regularly seen because he was hiding in the deserts of Nevada.
While all the rest were in the New York state, I guess.

Spider-Man didn't interact with the Fantastic Four as much as he did with the Human Torch specifically.
I remember reading in one issue Peter Parker saying to Doris Evans that he lived nearby, so it makes sense that Spider-Man and Human Torch met a lot.

Is it wrong of that I really struggle to read pretty much anything pre-Bronze age? It could be the gold/silver age writing style, or I could just not like Stan Lee. I've read early Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman, etc issues but really struggle to enjoy them.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for continuity and character development? Seems 60s/70s comics didn't have so much of that unless I'm being an ignorant fuck.

Wasn't much continuity to worry about given they were new characters. Comics were still getting into their stride in the 60s

yes sir

Very true. I mean more general character development and referencing older stories I guess. I'm not the biggest fan of monster-of-the-week or self contained stories so much.

That bitchslap is pure humiliation

Pete has more character development in the Ditko/Lee run than he's had over the last ten years.

i remember reading this at the barbershop when i was a kid, they had a thick compilation you could read while waiting for your turn, it was my first encounter with spider man

I remember being a lot more interested in reading Spidey than I did with X-men. Might give it another go. I've been wanting to go through an entire comic run from start to finish but it's tough finding a series that stays at least decent all the way through (considering maybe reading Daredevil?).

70s was Bronze age. Silver age X-men and Batman wasn't that good, but Spider-man, FF and Superman were good.

Yeah I know 70s was bronze age, sorry. I know Morrison has a soft spot for silver age batman and I tend to like his work, what was the problem with it? And from what I know, X-Men was sort of a flop at the time, so I guess they kinda phoned it in on the writing. I know Neal Adams has a run that I really want to read just for the art. I read the first issue of it and the writing is definitely a hell of a lot better.

REKT

Adams came in during the late silver age. Early silver age Batman stuff is decent if you're into weird and campy stuff, but not as great as Superman. I've heard good things about Haney's brave and bold, although I haven't read it.