New Avengers Vol 1 Storytime Finale (Part 12)

Welcome back Anons. We've been reading Bendis's New Avengers for a while (since early September, actually), and now, let's finally finish up this series!

Yes!

God, them's some good crazy eyes.

These power ups are just as useful as the one the Avengers got in Siege.

If you recall (Bendis doesn't), Zemo ruining all of his things was kind of a big deal back in the old days. Part of how Zemo proved he was on the up-and-up was by bringing back his stuff that he destroyed including the only picture of his mother.

Don't get too excited user, we still have more Bendis.

Can't the laser just move AROUND the damn shield?

>Hood's horde of jobbers swarm the avengers for the third time

Going to predict that the all get taken out by an aoe attack again

>"Read a book! I'm the living laser! I'm made out of light. You can't kill me with a bullet!"

I get the feeling a bunch of people told Bendis this the last time he wrote the Laser.

Remember that in his first appearance, this guy took control of THOR.

If you've been wondering where the following bit is from, now you'll have context.

This is probably the last time Jessica Drew working for SWORD ever got referenced.
Which is surprising since Carol ran it for a whole... what, 12 issues?

Why doesn't he keep this at all times? Seriously, this could be REALLY useful as a backup defense.

I can't tell if I'm too used to other colorists on Immonen's sweet art (like Gracia), or if Von Grawbadger actually changed the way he inks him a bit. But damn if I don't feel this is the best and most dynamic Immonen's art has ever felt.

Fucking no one read your stupid Spider-Woman mini, Brian.
>sloppy writing
>Maleev literally tracing every expression and recycling them 1000 times
>nothing happens for 7 issues
I'm glad it bombed.

To be fair, the Avengers have had worse members than these two smucks. Like Doctor Druid.

>that OMD reference

I wonder if the reason Bendis is shilling Miles so much is because Miles never had an One More Day story.

If you recall, last time we saw Griffin pre-Bendis, he was trading hits with NAMOR.

This is the intelligence difference between a C-List Avengers villain, and a C-List Nova villain.

Wait, even the holo shield can reflect bullets like that? Seriously, why DOESN'T he keep that around?

So by all rights they should be dead right now. Dude could cut through them as easily as those HAMMER agents.

Are you trying to say that Jessica Drew ISN'T the most popular Marvel woman? That's just silly, user. You're silly.

>Mandrill makes Spider-Woman attack Spider-Man

A premise so good, Slott stole it!

I'm just assuming Bendis is writing this guy as "Purple Man, but not as cool".

Oh good, the Hood's back...

This is the stupidest shit.
>Wait, even the holo shield can reflect bullets like that? Seriously, why DOESN'T he keep that around?
I THINK it has to vibrate at a specific frequency to be able to deflect solid objects since it's versatile but it has to be used very smartly. Last time we saw it was together with Cap-armor in AXIS because Remender is an absolute madman

>"This is embarrasing. Even for me."

Spidey, just wait until Slott starts writing you. THEN you'll get embarrassing.

There's probably bigger Spider-Man fans than me out there, but has the Spider-Sense ever reacted to something that WASN'T a thread outside of the bit just before Otto took over his body? I feel like he should NEVER question it.

>he didn't know Mandrill could mind control women

Is that not literally his only superpower? The fuck did you THINK he could do?

And suddenly her hair is a lot bigger.

This always bugs me in fiction. Just because you don't want to fight your friend doesn't mean you can't DODGE.

This page is so #problematic

>Spidey, just wait until Slott starts writing you. THEN you'll get embarrassing.
He was already being written by Slott for a couple of years at this point.

>"That's Captain America in there, man. And the OTHER Captain America. And they are fighting guys way out of our species. Guys made of lasers."
>"We have guns."

Suddenly it makes perfect sense how Osborn got such a high position in government.

Because it wouldn't be a Bendis story without Luke Cage, Miles Morales, or Kitty Pryde saving the day.

I'm not saying use it as your main weapon, lord knows that would never last for long. But still, if for some reason you don't have THE shield, BAM, you've got a spare.

So Bendis knows that bullets can't do shit to him, but apparently Luke Cage punches can totally knock him on his ass.

Going by Luke's surprise here, I have no damn clue when the Annual is supposed to fit into the Timeline, for reasons you'll see later.

Aren't we newly into Brand New Day now? I thought Slott only started with Big Time, which didn't start yet.

Short round? That's a weird way of referring to the Human Torch.

>"If you weren't here, I'd kill them."
>"That's not true."

I dunno, Peter, she may actually. You're trying REALLY hard to stop her, after all.

So have these guys done anything to capitalize on the Agents of Shield show, or is Marvel focusing on the regular guys still?

Well, at least it isn't a splash page.

He started being THE series regular by then, yeah, but he'd been one of the rotating writers on ASM since the immediate post-BND when it shipped three issues a month and he'd do like 2-3 issues every 10 or so

Remember when I said I didn't know where this took place? Remember, Spidey referenced earlier that Clint had already tried to kill Osborn. It ended with him captured and tortured. Osborn's Avengers blew up Cap's safehouse (the place they were at at the beginning) and that ended with them seeing Cap, IN UNIFORM.

And remember, Bendis wrote them both.

And speaking of shit Bendis wrote, here's a second version of how Steve Rogers found out about Siege. The Captain America books had a third version.

The Siege storytime is still in the OP, so refer to there if you need to see how they line up.

Or don't, and save yourself a headache.

>Carol busting out of Venom on the right

Okay, so either that's when the symbiote posessed Carol, which explicitly took place outside of Asgard, or Carol just ripped her way through his stomach, which I'm pretty sure should kill him.

why does bendis keep getting the best artists
why is life so unfair

Was that with the page where it was Caps face and him pointing?

And Peter's talking shit about their cool gliders just like did

Sorry for the delay, had to kick my modem a bit.

i miss this immonen and ultimate spidey immonen, his style looked boring on bendis x men, maybe it was because of marte gracia´s terrible colors there

>"We're still sure she's not a Skrull, right?"

Bendis, just because you shittalk people who point out the things you forget doesn't mean they're not right.

Because we live in the timeline where Mark Gruenwald died before Captain America got to be someone even casuals loved. We live in the worst of all worlds.

That's the page, yeah.

Honestly, I kind of fell out of Spider-Man during that period, with a few exceptions (Grim Hunt, for instance), so I forgot who was on the revolving writer list.

So going by the random Venom there, I can only assume that means Luke and Jessica used tongue.

Oh yeah, remember when the army of Jobbers showed up, and did basically nothing?

So who's worse, Knife-Hands here, or Mace-Chuck head from Heroes For Hire?

I can't explain why, but random Spidey cameo there made me chuckle.

So has this character done anything lately? I vaguely remember her appearing in Superior, but that may have been a different woman.

And for once, it's a VILLIAN who doesn't know who the HERO is. Relatively rare for Bendis, but it never occurs to one of his pet characters.

If the Ronin costume didn't have a coast, that would've been one of the most gratitious ass shots I've ever seen.

So has Sif appeared in the books since Aaron started writing?

Nope, that was Stunner, a different woman obsessed with Doc Ock. I find it weird that neither Slott or whoever was writing Superior Team-Up had any interest in using her.

Is it wrong that, since I watched JoJo the other day, all I can think of is "CAESAR!!!"?

The one obscure character in Bendisworld that everyone seems to know is D-Man, and that's only so that Bendis can write yet another "lol D-Man sucks" joke.

And here we go, the last issue of New Avengers!

You bet. She was involved in the the Malekith arc and later was one of Odinson's prime suspects for being the mysterious new Thor.

During one of the lead-ups to Siege, Doom demanded Osborn let Namor go. Osborn, still thinking he was hot shit, refused. So Norman wrecked the tower.

>"Loki said the stones pick their master."

Given we see Loki take them back, I'm going to assume this is less "shitty writing" and more "Loki lied, and you're an idiot for thinking he wouldn't."

>"No, no. Wilson Fisk is a true criminal. Dishonest. There's no doing any kind of buisness with him."

How badly has Kingpin fucked him over in the past?

Kind of weird that the fact that the Wrecking Crew also got their power from the Norn stones isn't brought up.

>"It's a get out-of-jail-free card."
>"And that's a real thing?"
>"Nick Fury invented it."
>"Why?"
>"To keep himself out of jail."

Sad thing is, this probably sounded really good in Bendis's head.

Yeah, but sadly by this point Brubaker was already launching Zemo off the carefully set up "Semiheroic figure with villainous tendencies" rails he'd managed to get on through the Thunderbolts.

Seems like something obvious to do, I feel like.

>Living Laser inconvenienced by bullets.

Bendis a shit.

WHAT POWER UPGRADE?!

Did Osborn really think that giving a get out of jail free card to a bunch of mass murdering super-villains (including NITRO) would fly with the public?
Who am I kidding, the Marvel public are morons.

Wait, is the power to turn your nose red?

I know, if anything the Living Laser seems to have gone through a power downgrade. And so has everyone because Bendis tends to write people as much weaker than they should be because he thinks too much on the street level.

>Asgardian powered guns hit Nick Fury in the chest
>Doesn't even kill him

Say what you want about Spencer, he's at least going to do a bit with him, and not as a joke.

Any pet villains that Bendis left around that D-Man can fuck up?

You know, I forgot to say this last time, but "The Siege of Asgard" wasn't a siege at all, it was a full-out invasion. They didn't surround the city and cut off its supplies waiting for them to starve.

So if I'm reading this right, Maske could've killed Captain America if Sentry didn't wreck Asgard.

>Spider-Man flirting with Jess.

Gross.

Wasn't Namor an Avenger during his Byrne solo book?

The Griffin may already count as as much of an Avenger as Aragorn, Black Knight's first pegasus.

Okay, so Mockingbird WAS under there. How is she fine, that rock should've crushed her.

Remember when Sentry became the big threat for all of ONE issue?

Oh man, could you imagine Bendis OMD? I think he'd just quietly sweep being married under the rug outside of quips like this. No deal with the devil, Spider-Man just stops ever having been married because continuity is for neeeeerds.

I'll be honest, I forgot the Malekith arc right after that first issue, which is probably one of my favorite Thor comics.

Remember, Griffin can tank blows from NAMOR.

I'm glad that Gillen retconned Loki's dumb motivations in Bendis' comics.