ITT: Punchlines you feel stupid for not getting

ITT: Punchlines you feel stupid for not getting.

I mean, you don't normally post print comics online. Of course you wouldn't get likes and reblogs...? Shouldn't you look at sales instead?

I guess she's sending it to a publisher and waiting to hear back.

>instant gratification vs persistence and hard work

>Shouldn't you look at sales instead?
The sales are poor and the feedback online is mostly negative. As she deserves. The audience is different for printed comics and yet she believes otherwise. This is her downfall.

So getting paid for making a comic is unrewarding because you don't get Tumblr likes for making something for free instead?

I almost feel like the top half should be a skeleton with her being a starving web comics artist and the bottom half be handing a paycheck to a waiter at a fancy restaurant while saying, "Bring me everything in the kitchen".

Fucking kek.

Writters and artists get payed almost nothing. You might as well work on a McDonalds.

Patreon webcomic artists probably have it better.

>outside of the internet people don't want to eat your asshole out for whinging about your rancid cunt- particularly when you can barely fucking draw
At least she's kind of admitting it.

I've come to terms with this never having been a joke. It was just absurd for the sake of absurdity. It wasn't a reference or anything nuanced. It was what it was: a room with a Moose.

>Instant and filtered attention
vs
>Patience and work (for nerds!!! XDDD)

The point is the waiting. That's why she's a skeleton, it's a reference to the waiting meme where the person waited so long they turned into a skeleton. When you upload a comic online the response is often immediate, if it's a regular update fans may have been waiting and refreshing the page so there's an immediate flood of praise.

With print, you send the comic onwards and there's a shit load of stages where it's edited, made ready, printed, distributed and so on till you finally get some feedback. I've heard some book authors talk of the same thing, of how grueling and nerve-wracking the wait between having written the book and are waiting for it to get published and reviewed is.

webcomics are instant gratification but print have to printed and distributed, etc etc

I mean, the strip title of "It's a Virtue!" is also a hint. It's patience. Patience is a virtue. The main difference between print and web is that you need to be a hell of a lot more patient in print because the feedback is so delayed due to the physical printing, distributing etc process and it can be nerve-wracking when it's out of your hands but you don't get the reaction to it.

>You might as well work on a McDonalds
Comic writers and artists have a far better chance at working in a related industry, like cartoons or film, than webcomic artists

Kate Leth is, like, 3 tumblr bitchfits before someone lets her make a cartoon

So why hasn't Hellcat been cancelled yet?

>Writters and artists get payed almost nothing. You might as well work on a McDonalds.
Average rate for a writer at the Big Two is around $100 a page. $2200 per monthly, before taxes. If they write one book for a year that's $26400, not even taking into account that most writers have two or three books. And artists tend to get over $300 a page.

You should never talk about feeling stupid ever again. You need to accept that you are genuinely stupid.

The idea is that being alone with one thing for too long will drive you insane, no matter how mundane it is.

I think the joke is that people are still trying to figure out if there was a joke.

>her works doesn't stand on it's own merits but needs a huge company with already iconic characters
yep, about right

Looks like Kate needs to go back to the basics and convey the sense of time better considering so many people here thought it was about her getting likes on Tumblr.

I also thought the skeleton was a kind of "dead inside" reaction rather than time going by comical cut.

Is there more or is this the whole comic?

Well I mean the room background is also more run down in the last frame, indicating passage of great lengths of time.

It's still very hard to notice. The background is so light and so subtle it's basically the last thing you notice in the entire panel. If anything, I think she should have been an old lady at the very end with even the table and laptop being a bit dilapidated.

And if that fails, a simple calendar in the back would help.

It's honestly not that hard to get. I think that the problem is just that a lot of anons were assuming there's some sort of tumblr angle to it all, assuming that it's likes and reblogs that are the main thing

Well, it would be funnier if the caption said "Please, no meat touching, Ma'am!"

The joke is that cows don't need tools, so if they had tools they would be weird looking and useless. Unfortunately, the saw-looking one throws people off.

Maybe if she made the gutters different it would be clearer?
Or accentuated how instantaneous the webcomic's reaction was by moving the hearts/notifications across the plane of panel A2 and or having the water grab beginning in the first panel.

I think this reads a little better.

I was trying to make the tablecloth look moth ridden.
I don't understand where her clothes go when she's a skele.

I actually hadn't even noticed that the original had her room all dilapidated too.

also, if you look at the first panel, the perspective is such that her left arm going behind the table means that it's thinner than her torso.