Marvel Rage Purchasing

You know, Sup Forums. I thought you were always joking about this whole "Marvel is intent on making you rage purchase things" line of thought. But when you have one editor saying this and other editors retweeting it, you're starting to turn me around.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/brianmbendis/status/769986386887933953
theouthousers.com/index.php/news/136268-please-help-dan-slott-needs-more-clone-conspiracy-pre-orders.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

disgusting

"MAKE A CHANGE THEN BUY OUR COMICS. A BUY FOR DC IS A BUY FOR RACISM SEXISM AND ALL THE OTHER ISMS"

Where did you get that shit from this?

Spencer LITERALLY said this.

Anyone got the screemshot?

Thankfully, everyone's catching wise to this and are actively calling Breevort and Spencer out on their bullshit

Funny thing is that later he started recommending people to buy diverse DC books, guy's a loony

Say if with me now, FUCK MARVEL. I unironically want Disney to step in at this point

Cmon man go down with dignity.
Like say "we had a good run".
Unless Marvel if firing you for not making a comic that reached 10-12 issues, just accept it.

Kek, if he has to beg like this it could mean the sales barely went up.

>you were always joking about this whole "Marvel is intent on making you rage purchase things"

Sup Forums didn't come up with that, it was from like Brevoort's formspring

Provocation works as a good way to bring publicity, but it isnt a sure-fire way of actually getting any money. You have to make sure theres an audience out there who gets curious about a product that certain group of people hate.

And in Marvel's case, there wasnt one. Tumblr is an audience that does not actually buy comic books despite making a lot of noise about them.

I'm not taking a stance on it's effectiveness. I'm telling OP that Brevoort has been open for years that they think angry fans buy more comics and Marvel capitalizes on that.

Stop deluding yourself. The preorders for the trade are through the roof and last week's comixology numbers came in and CW was only behind Saga. Marvel isn't being punished for the shit products they publish.

So either Brevoot is just stupid and is finally getting that this industry of people talking/blogging about comics isn't bringing in sales, or he's trying to pivot and get this new group to start buying comics out of fear of cancellation and he's twice as slimy.

Pathetic lowlife scum.
Not you, OP. Brevoort.

'Buy our comics to make a political statement'
Not because they're good comics, worth buying. Cause well, they're not.
Not because these SJW's got comics reading as a hobby, they don't.
But he could bait SJW's into buying them if that makes them feel they make a political stand. As if it's some kind of a revolution.
It would work, if SJW's were a minority.

That's the editor, m8.

Link for that?
I wanna see the numbers.

The problem is thst Marvel's model quasi-works because most of the people who buy every month, the majority of their consumers, are fucking MORONS.

You'll spot them in some of our really popular character threads. They will buy SPECIFICALLY because a book is either "important" or a travesty. Marvel doesn't fish for people with standards brcause they tend to either buy trades or only buy ongoings once they know they're good. The entire speculation-centric model of floppies makes delling to savvy consumers a fool's errand.

What did Remender tell him before he quit?

Did he call him a fat bloated fuck?

Sure, problem with Marvel currently is their latest stunt on pandering towards Tumblr by demonizing its old readerbase resulted in most of its old whales leaving for good, which is unprecedented. For a decade Marvel has been shit but kept afloat by the "whales" who religiously bought everything they shat out. But not anymore.

So this particular controversy/outrage selling came back to bite them in the ass and hard.

that's great if he did

I hate to break this to you, but buying multiple comics in a series is an endorsement of the content within that comic. It's often why there's a huge dropoff after a given Issue #1 of any new series/reboot/whatever - people didn't like the content and didn't want to see future issues.

The huge dropoff is because there's still a very large crowd of people that buy #1s to pay for their retirement

Catalogue.

Those people would be a bunch of fucking idiots.

So what are the chances Marvel permanently stops making comics and become a name brand that purely exist to market characters for films, television and merchandising?

>bendis and Slott have gone on twitter begging for pre-orders
>Tom Brevoort beggin people to buy Mocking bird
>Nick Spencer calling out their audience for not buying comics.

You reap what you sow marvel.

Anything is possible. As for the probability? I wouldn't put too much stock into it happening within the next five years unless the comics market completely collapses.

I know how it works. What's the point you're trying to make?
You think SJW's won't buy something just to make a statement of sorts?
Literally everyone who bought Mockingbird after the controversy, it was because of that.
"I buy to support the writer and her feminist agenda" not "I buy a comic I liked"
Because nobody liked it! Not even those SJWs did, when Cain fucked up Bobbi's rape subplot.
But when drones like these guys get told that buying this comic is good for their cause, they bite the bait hard.

no arguments here, but they still exist

someone is really mad here

Disney isn't going to let that happen, they would most likely fire everyone off than to actually kill off marvel.

>You think SJW's won't buy something just to make a statement of sorts?

Yes, and it won't hold up in the long run. Buying something for a "cause" doesn't generally work as a long-term strategy - mainly because it drains wallets - which is why boycotting companies is often the smarter move.

They sure are.
And there's at least a few thousand of them.

What catalogue? Just give me a link, man.

>tom brevoort begging people to buy comics on twitter.

No really bendis, slott have both recently gone out and asked for people to pre-order their shit as if their life depended on it. How bad is marvel doing right now if there reduced to begging on twitter.

Haha oh wow. Marvel is Finished. Based Rebirth.

No, it won't hold up.
Marvel will have to bait again at a later time.
But they won't be as successful always.

It's different with a movie like Ghostbusters, for example, and it still tanked.
Comic issues though are part of a series, that requires to keep buying and keep spending.

Hopefully this backfires as hard as the female Ghostbuster controversy gimmick did someday.

Yeah, but that fame wont last for long. Those same drones are also followers of different fads, and they dont generally read or buy comic books, so its not going to result in a lot of sales overall.

MARVEL IS SAAAAVED
DC BTFO
WE WIN AGAAAAIN
AND I GET 0.10 BUCKS MORE

>AND I GET 0.10 BUCKS MORE
How the fuck do your employers even keep track of your shit posts?

These are best selling comics. These aren't sales numbers. For all I know their best selling comics, sold just a few dozen copies each.
It means fucking nothing. Give me actual sale numbers.

Aw fuck it, I shouldn't even been asking. I know already, digital sales are shit anyway.
Last year, print sales were $940 million and digital sales were $90 million. That's not just Marvel's ofcourse.

So even if Marvel sells digital copies, it still sells fewer than actual print copies and their prints selling are shit already.

Will Marvel's failure serve as a lasting warning to all the other publishers that appealing to slacktivism doesn't make for a good profit return?

SJWs seldom vote with their wallet, let alone on progressive comics and video games.

Oh, I duly inform them of my shilling.

First step it's them admitting they failed.
So far, they're in denial.
Secondly, they should admit why they failed.
They'd never do that though...

>Disney isn't going to let that happen, they would most likely fire everyone off than to actually kill off marvel.

This, Disney bought Marvel for their IPs. They don't care about how company fares as long as they can cut their losses.

Electronic Arts has been doing pretty much the same thing on the video game market for years, buying out smaller, succesful studios, sacking their employees and relegating their franchises to other teams.

If Marvel goes tits up, then Disney will simply make a new team to work with Marvel IPs.

Disney firing idiots like Bendis and Brevoort?
I won't believe it till I see it happening.

And who would they hire instead? This industry is so scarce in real professionals now.

>and last week's comixology numbers came in and CW was only behind Saga.

That's not as good as you'd think it is for an event book.

>Ugly hat
>Fat cheeks
>Neckbeard
>Alternates between signalling, whining and begging

Proof positive that Dobson wouldn't have a bright future before him even if he secured a gig in the comic industry.

Spencer started criticizing people who bought DC Rebirth comics because they weren't supporting diversity.

They'll defrost Walt and have him write instead.
First thing he's gonna do, relaunch Mighty Mouse and Howard the Duck.

Well at least he admit that tumblr don't read comics.

>even his avatar is a hipster douche

>Walt
>doing something
>ever

>Secondly, they should admit why they failed.
>They'd never do that though..

That always gets me bout Marvel they're arrogant as fuck, even DC admits their fuck ups.

>hipster douche
Brevoort is a fedora neckbeard, user. Get it straight.

>I thought you were always joking about this whole "Marvel is intent on making you rage purchase things" line of thought.
Why? He's flat-out stated it before. This isn't even the first time.

Breevort doesn't exist in reality. He's never been able to figure out that his whole "if we piss people off they'll buy books" doesn't work in the digital age where people and get pissed off for free.

What he's seeing now is a much deserved result of that. People can do their whole outrage thing from single panels or pages posted out of context on tumblr and not spend a single cent.

The deeper you go into SJW rabbit hole, the more you are eager to believe that economy is a sham perpetrated to oppress.

its the same thing at this point

>You know, Sup Forums. I thought you were always joking about this whole "Marvel is intent on making you rage purchase things" line of thought

Considering they've outright stated as such, not much of a joke.

Yeah and what did he recommend?
Midnighter and Apollo (homosexuality), Wonder Woman (strong womyn), Cyborg (black male lead).
Even Pretty Deadly and Bitch Planet from Image (I think?) which are pretty notorious feminist comics.

They'll just bring the comics closer in line with MCU synergy.

>Controversial

Any link or at least date.
So i know how far i have to go in the timeline?

>twitter.com/brianmbendis/status/769986386887933953

>theouthousers.com/index.php/news/136268-please-help-dan-slott-needs-more-clone-conspiracy-pre-orders.html

Closests I got.

this picture is fucking retarded, spencer is using "diversity" in the normal sense not in the newspeak sense

Someone should check the archive to get Spencer saying "MISOGINISTS ARE WINNING, DON'T BUY REBIRTH, BUY MARVEL!"

Thx user,
you are just kind.

How late to the fucking game are you? Brevoort has been saying this since Slott was put on Spider-Man.

Speaking of the Outhousers, Bleeding Cool just announced that Jude Terror left the Outhousers to write for Bleeding Cool.

But NuWally isn't being respected cause he's been shoved onto a teambook to once again be the team's token black guy.

>going from the industry top dog that could smear shit on pages and have it go into multiple prints to begging people to buy it
the most pathetic thing was Slott blaming retailers for not ordering enough of Clone Conspiracy

Makes sense, since Spencer is retarded.

he was in just Flash before though. What are you talking about?

Wait, what's Brevoort saying here that's wrong? He's saying people freaking out on social media don't actually go and buy the comics they're freaking out about. This is true.

Peter has had enough of Marvel treating him like shit.

It's the natural evolution from this . Tom has probably since realised that rage-buying isn't actually as true as it once was, and so he's trying to nudge people back into the habit.

Nothing in the OP image is wrong. OP is just saying that he didn't believe Marvel used to piss people off on purpose as an actual strategy, but the fact that they're now outwardly trying to spin it into sales is damning in his eyes.

>there's still a very large crowd of people that buy #1s to pay for their retirement

how's the jingle go?

Let's all laugh at an industry, that never learns anything tee hee hee

NuWally has also been appearing in the Flash book semiregularly (not every issue, but it's not like Robin appears in every issue of Batman either).

He's a kid side-kick. His point is to appear in the character he supports' book some of the time and any team book he's in. Which is exactly what they're doing with him.

Black-Wally has not been diminished by OG-Wally's return at all unless you count him now having to share a name with someone else.

I'm just now realising how awkward this shit is. Like Debbie and Black Debbie. Do the Wallies at least have different middle names or something?

original Wally is The Flash

They're idiots, but they exist. Hell, the insane number of variant covers for some #1s plays direct into that.

At the same time as Barry? Still seems pretty awkward.

It's hilarious how that jingle, which was made regarding the games industry, applies so well here.

What did he do though?

Yeah, and Jay Garrick is coming back eventually.
That'll be three guys running around called The Flash.

What happened in this particular comic that prompted this extremely obvious explanation of how businesses gauge public opinion?

>comic gets canceled due to poor sales
>writer goes on a twitter rant about how oppressed she is and that's why the book failed
>social media predictably responds with outrage

Oh, outrage from the girls not buying comics in the first place. I thought this was the usual fanboy rage purchasing. It's weird that he'd try that with an audience that's not nearly as driven by habit.

>writer goes on a twitter rant about how oppressed she is and that's why the book failed

That never happen, she got sick of criticism on twitter and took Tyler the Creator's advice and deleted her account and went to spend time with her kids instead.

In a case of life imitating South Park, everyone treated this like this was committing suicide, and the SJW "comics" media blew the whole thing out of proportion, insisting she was doxxed and harassed off the internet by misogynist comic fans.

It was more like people were angry with her for shitting all over Mockingbird and she cried she was being harassed. I don't think we've seen what kind of harassment she was facing but yeah that's basically the issue.

She never said she was harassed, she put a post up about it on her website.

>It was more like people were angry with her for shitting all over Mockingbird

this is bullshit, there aren't that many fans of mockingbird.