What's your take on having novelists jump aboard comic writing...

What's your take on having novelists jump aboard comic writing? Is the the pool for new talents from the new generation of comic enthusiasts who wants to be in the industry that low and incompetent that they have to resort to established names from another medium?

Other urls found in this thread:

aei.org/publication/chart-of-the-day-scottish-iq-test-scores-by-gender-reveal-the-greater-variability-of-male-intelligence/
psychologytoday.com/blog/beautiful-minds/201207/men-women-and-iq-setting-the-record-straight
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It draws in people who don't read comics but like the works of the author in question.

R.L. Stile is a "manufacturing" writer, who pick ideas that were already used in twilight zone episodes and cheap horror movies, than he uses the formula that created Creepypasta and is used since Lovecraft shorts.

"Kid finds thing, Thing goes apeshit, everything comes back to normal, PLOT TWIST Just kiding, everything is still fucked"

And like the Sherlock Holmes/Arsene lupin/ Agata Christ formula got to Batman and Detective comics. (Go to place, find silly clues, go to the villain, explaim clues? Lovecraft shorts formula got to early Horror Comics.

So yeah! Hacks can do what other hacks do

I see he still has that gross looking mole on his forehead.

Give the old bastard some credit. He's in his 70s and has hundreds of millions of dollars, he doesn't write because he has to, he does it because he wants to, so clearly this is something he thinks he'll enjoy.

Now, his comic will probably be hacky and juvenile, but you know what? It probably won't be as bad as Bendis, so I've got more important things to bitch about.

basically this

>Now, his comic will probably be hacky and juvenile

So like 95% of comics then?

Jonathan Lethem did a good job on Omega the Unknown.
>Is the the pool for new talents from the new generation of comic enthusiasts who wants to be in the industry that low and incompetent that they have to resort to established names from another medium?
No and novelists usually comics for fun/as an experiment.

Get Stephen King.
Now that's a trainwreck I would love to see.

The people in the so-called talent pool are way more ambivalent to working for the Big 2 than they once were. They're very aware of the horror stories of dealing with editorial and creators rights. Those people would rather make money telling stories in other mediums and creating comics on the side. There's a reason why Ellis only writes 5-6 issues at a time for Marvel.

>not mentioning Chelsea Cain and Margaret Stohl

>I haven't read American Vampire and am so out of touch with comics I don't even know what it is! But let me speak condescendingly anyway.

American Vampire is shit, like everything King and Snyder ever wrote.
The fact that you think it's good only shows how shitty horror comics are.

Stephen King has written some pretty awesome comics. His son, who's also a novelist, has as well.

>What's your take on having novelists jump aboard comic writing?

I rather have TV writers or screenwriters try comics. It'll be a lot easier to adapt to the style. And most of the adjustment will probably be researching on the characters and universe.

It blows my mind how few comics fans read anything else, even popular novels.

>le Stephen King is a complete Hack meme

He's gone downhill in later years but he's a better writer than anybody at Marvel and DC right now

>This comic will be shit but at least it won't be an even bigger pile of shit
Marvel apologists. When will they learn?

>has written some pretty awesome comics
Get some fucking standards, please. Trash like Dark Tower doesn't even deserve to exist.

>Batfags still bitter

Fuck off and read the swamp thing run

>b-but he's a pile of shit that stinks less
And he never "went downhill".
He was always terrible.

I can't wait to see another trainwreck Captain Marvel under Stohl. I wonder how this whole Cain-Mockingbird fiasco affects her and Marvel in terms of editing and handing off established characters to noncomic writers who does not reasearch.

>thinking I care about Batman
Fuck off and read actual horror literature and not washed-up uncreative idiot hacks.
>non-Moore Swamp Thing
>worth reading
You're not helping your case.

When's DC going to give China Miéville a new project?

You can't expect much from women. They will never be capable of creating actual works of art, just derivative mediocrity with none of the creativity male writers could have at their very VERY best.

And those two are so far from any kind of "the best" it's not even funny.

>R.L. Stein

inb4 a vampire story about a young boy who hunts vampires but was really the vampire all along.
And then everyone turns around and have eyes and a mouth in the back of their heads, and a mask comes to life when it's put on a puppet or some shit.

God, I wish Sup Forums had never been made.

>Now, his comic will probably be like a comic

Fify.

I dunno, if it was someone that failed at being a book author I'd say they're falling back on a back up plan. But Stine can live off of royalties from reprintings alone. Maybe the old guy just thinks it'll be a nice change of pace for him.

>most of the adjustment will probably be researching on the characters and universe.

Or they could just do it like the writers at the big two now and do no research at all.

>big two now and do no research at al
> big two
> DC and Marvel
> pulling DC into Marvel's shitstorm of non existent editors

at least DC tries and attempts

This is what King has come down to. Genre fiction writers are the same as capeshit writers anyway.

And then everyone turns out to have been a dog.

>Moore Swamp Thing

Not make me barf kid. What "Hip-Comic-Pop-news-that-every-geek-should-read" is giving you tips? Linkara?

DC was fucking stupid to cancel the series halfway through.

>I have no argument, better call him a kid
Go read more of the garbage your talentless hack wrote.

>this thread
Great, as if Sup Forums subhumans weren't enough, now we have /lit/ards.

>That is a very buzzword argument! You Buzzword, Buzzword son of a Buzzword!

>WAHH WAHH WHY DOES HE SHITPOST ONLY I CAN SHITPOST
Pathetic.
>Snyderfags
>Kingfags
>human

I uhh vaguely remember R.L. Stine. He writes children's horror stories, right?
And is that Morbius behind him? It looks like Morbius to me, unless he's some character who just looks like him from R.L. Stine's books.
I was hoping to see more of Morbius, he's special to me.
But I'm not happy to hear that R.L. Stine will be writing him.
Nothing but disappointment, Marvel, as always, every news I get from them, evoke a feeling of disappointment.

Didn't Liu write novels? Romance novels?

Horror never made any real contribution to literature for being horror. Even in cinema, people just found the acting and effects the new hot thing and Frankestein had to gain whole new tractament for the mediocre "One moral over and over" shit that Mary wrote in her spare time. Any real classic horror was in the list beacause of the lyricism or symbolism.

Horro was born on tropes and mediocrity, just like detective adventures

yes she did.

Also Abnett writes fucking amazing 40k novels

Can you rec some for a 40k newb.

This post comes off insincere.

>WAHH WAHH WHY DOES HE SHITPOST ONLY I CAN SHITPOST

Sounds like the posts you've been making so far.

I know you are but what am I?

Easily triggered, that's for sure.

I know you are but what am I?

It's because Marvel doesn't give a shit about people who care about the books and characters. Just the prestige of being a "real writer" and usually fitting under a nonwhite or nonmale identity. Stine is likely for the prestige. "Hey look guys! Our next big thing is monsters and do you know who we got?!"

It's not like he can be any worse than Slott or Hopeless. Right?

>people who care about the books and characters
This is how you get Tumblr writers. Stine is a proven kids' writer, so he can write capes well.

Nothing to do with Sup Forums.
Women are objectively less intelligent than men.
>lower IQs
>smaller brains
I don't know what other proof you need.

See? Easily triggered.

[Citation needed]

If it leads to stuff like Charlie Huston's Moon Knight, I'm all for it.

I know you are, but what am I?

>lower IQs
>He hasn't heard

A simple wikipedia search wouldn't take you that long, faggot.

Biased PC studies don't count.

It's a real downgrade for the novelist
Working on capeshit is like rock bottom for writers

>Is the the pool for new talents from the new generation of comic enthusiasts who wants to be in the industry that low and incompetent that they have to resort to established names from another medium?
I don't think the term 'talent' really goes with comics
Or the industry, but that's neither here or there

[citation needed]

>Science doesn't count if it hurts my feelings, abloobloo!

>meme responses

kek

I'm sure King and R.L. Stine are enjoyable for people who aren't hipsters looking for a reason to hate them.

I love how that irony escapes you.

Want to act obtuse, keep at it.
It's not like I'm getting paid for spoonfeeding you.

But weren't you unable to come up with a source?

You're saying a simple wikipedia search would take you too long to do.

Am not against artists jumping from one medium to another as long as they understood and respect the culture of the medium they are trying to enter.

If it's an OC, then go ahead you have full freedom on whatever you'd want to do. Drown it in agenda ridden plots and preachy dialogues if you want. BUT if you're given a character than has existed for decades and has been in the hands of other writers, please please research and write for the character.

Not wanting to spoonfeed lazy idiots =/= being unable to come up with a source.
It takes 3 seconds to enter google and look up "sex and IQ" on the wikipedia. If you can't do even something that basic, you should go back to your short bus.

There's no irony. You're going off of outdated research, and you're blaming PC culture for results you don't like.

>n-no u
White knights are predictably retarded.

> If you can't do even something that basic,

But you didn't even do it.

>you should go back to your short bus.

Why, to keep you company?

Fucking elitists. Still stuck in the time when integration is not practiced in art forms?

Filter the thread. You're not obliged to participate.

>Psychology
>Science

>White knights are predictably retarded.

>It takes 3 seconds to enter google and look up "sex and IQ" on the wikipedia. If you can't do even something that basic, you should go back to your short bus.

You're saying you're a white knight?

>outdated research
Whatever makes you feel better.
>w-who cares that independent unbiased studies were consistently proving that women on average had 3 or 5 less IQ points than men
>these new totally not fabricated studies are suddenly correct
I bet you're the same sucker who keeps falling for the "cell phones are not dangerous" meme because phone companies influence researchers.

Easily triggered.

ITT: let's derail this thread to a sex/gender war.

>n-no, he owes me the information I want and can easily look up
Get fucked.

>were consistently proving
Yeah, they were. They don't anymore.

>if you ignore cancer, it goes away
Fuck off.
>/lit/shitter
>calling someone else elitist

i think that's a triggered femanon

>I d-don't have the information, I-I'll insult him s-some more by implying he's a retard like me

kek

>i-it's totally not fabricated, I swear
Keep acting obtuse.

I agree, is a triggered femanon

>Sup Forums
>not cancerous by itself

/lit/ and Sup Forums has more integrity in thier art forms that you

kek

>I refuse to look up something that might hurt my feelings
>better act like I'm still winning and it won't show
Kek.
Explains the passive-aggressive typing and stubborn attitude.

You're the one who's acting desperate. The gap in IQ test scores has been closed. I don't know how you think that's fabricated.

>n-no u
Go back to your shithole and whine about how much you hate LE EBUL GENRE FICTION instead of shitting up other boards.

Well, there's certainly a triggered femannon here.

Trigger source:

>I-IT'S BEEN CLOSED, I SWEAR
The only desperation I smell here is yours.

>Explains the passive-aggressive typing and stubborn attitude.

>n-no, he owes me the information I want and can easily look up
>Get fucked.
>Whatever makes you feel better.
>I bet you're the same sucker who keeps falling for the "cell phones are not dangerous" meme because phone companies influence researchers.
>I love how that irony escapes you.
>A simple wikipedia search wouldn't take you that long, faggot.
>Biased PC studies don't count.
>Women are objectively less intelligent than men.

i think these posts really were made by a triggered femanon

Why were you triggered by that post? What's wrong with it?

You lost. Leave gracefully and stop making a laughingstock out of yourself.

aei.org/publication/chart-of-the-day-scottish-iq-test-scores-by-gender-reveal-the-greater-variability-of-male-intelligence/
>“There were no significant mean differences in cognitive test scores between boys and girls, but there was a highly significant difference in their standard deviations (Prob. < .001). Boys were over-represented at both the low and high extremes of cognitive ability.”
Low end, AKA you.

>psychologytoday.com/blog/beautiful-minds/201207/men-women-and-iq-setting-the-record-straight
>So they certainly equaled men, and perhaps were slightly above. This has been distorted in the news of my saying that women are incredibly more intelligent than men. As you can see, this somewhat goes beyond what was claimed.
>I suspect that is a characterological trait. They are also more focused in the testing room just as they are more focused in the classroom. So my conclusion is the sexes on the Raven's is probably dead equal for cognitive factors and there is a very slight female advantage for characterological traits.

Learn to comprehend. I'm not triggered I'm pointing out the source that instigated this whole debacle of M vs F shit on this thread. Holy shit work your brain cells.

>It takes 3 seconds to enter google and look up "sex and IQ" on the wikipedia. If you can't do even something that basic, you should go back to your short bus.

It looks like it took you more than 3 seconds

>m-muh Wikipedia!
You can stop now.

But why were you triggered by that post? Didn't you write it yourself?