Oh look they wanna ruin their movies too

Oh look they wanna ruin their movies too.

>In the last few years, fans and critics have started to call out Hollywood for its rather homogenous casts. Moviegoers are more determined than ever to see the real world reflected in film, and that means inclusive casting needs to become a norm. Companies such as Marvel have been criticized for whitewashing its characters, but it looks like the studio wants to learn from those complaints. According to Kevin Feige, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is about to become much more inclusive.

>The president of Marvel Studios sat down for an interview with Vulture recently and said future MCU films will be increasingly diversified. "I think that in the movies we've already made, and certainly in the movies that are coming up, it will be as inclusive a group of characters as one could want," Feige said.

Source :comicbook.com/2016/11/02/kevin-feige-says-next-mcu-films-will-move-away-from-completely-w/

Other urls found in this thread:

deadline.com/2016/10/diversity-initiative-sag-aftra-white-house-obama-1201845969/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>whitewashing

People don't even know what that fucking word means anymore apparently.

>fans and critics have started to call out
>fans
Nope. Just people with a political agenda and too much free time.

Oh they do, they just don't read comics. There was this whole fiasco on Twitter over the casting of Doctor Strange because they thought he was a Muslim in the comics. They also thought Danny was Asian, and a few months ago I saw some people talking about how Betty Brant is black in the comics.

maybe this will give DC a fighting chance with all their upcoming flops

You couldn't figure this out from homecoming? You're pretty slow op

Well, they probably don't mean ACTUAL diversity, so they'll quickly abandon this idea when Yurop and China becomes tired of niggers in every movie.

In what universe would anyone consider Dr. Steven Strange to be Muslim?

>Companies such as Marvel have been criticized for whitewashing its characters,
Besides the Ancient One, who else?

Who cares?

that's not what whitewashing means you stupid fuck

>Falcon Cap confirmed
Cap is the only character I genuinely like if Chris Evans Cap dies I'm fucking done.

>Moviegoers are more determined than ever to see the real world reflected in film

If you're looking for a slice of reality, I wouldn't suggest the series of films where the big green monster man gets hypnotised by a witch and fights a drunk in a fancy metal suit.

not him, but the Ancient One was asian in the comics, no? Isn't that what it means?

>Moviegoers are more determined than ever to see the real world reflected in film

Real world is the majority of people are white in this country, thus, casts reflect that. What these 'moviegoers' want is a fantasy.

whitewashing is to deliberately cover up something, not make a character of another race white lol

like for instance when people complain a history movie is being whitewashed its because they're only showing the things they want to show and not the whole truth, not because characters that weren't white are being shown as white.

It also means making a character of another race white. The word has a different meaning in this context.

No its has another meaning the same way literally has a different meaning, fuckwad idiots can't use the right fucking word to describe what they mean , then we have to change the meaning because there are more of you.

>Marvel Cinematic Universe is about to become much more inclusive

Does he mean like in regards to heroes or extras and supporting cast?

Ours, apparently.

They probably only mean The Ancient One and Mandarin. One which can take many forms and the other who wasn't actually the Mandarin

Main characters. They've been race changing across the board for the upcoming movies. However that typically just means making someone black. He brags about Gamora being a black love interest, two black women vying for Spidey dick, and Valkyrie in Thor 3 being the black love interest on top of Black Panther cast (which is set in Wakanda, what other color would they normally be Kevin?) and Doctor Strange with Mordo.

>deadline.com/2016/10/diversity-initiative-sag-aftra-white-house-obama-1201845969/

>SAG-AFTRA will host Friday’s kickoff of a new internship program designed to put more young African-Americans into Hollywood’s hiring pipeline. Co-sponsored by the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) and the Entertainment Industry College Outreach Program, the initiative aims to showcase the talents of students at historically black colleges.

Diversity only means Black these days.

Nobody gave a shit about Doc Strange, they were upset over the Ancient One being a white woman.

>over the Ancient One being the Yellow Kid
Fixed.

Thing is diversity is not what made Marvel comics shit.

She is in Spider Gwen universe, which is probably what tumblretards read.

>they thought he was a Muslim in the comics

Like they give a shit. It's a pr move they're willing to make if it's not gonna cost them.

>whitewashing characters
Shouldn't that be singular? I can only think of (the ancient) one. Or do they think Eastern Euro gypsies can't look whitish (like they do in comics)?
They've "blackwashed" at least as many.

>Guys it's sony's fault Spider-man's cast is so diverse not marvel's

This was before that, it was right when they announced Benedict

>Yurop
You mean Russia

Also Ben Kingsley is literally Asian.

>a piece of uncooked chicken
Das rayciss.

I was hoping you were baiting...

Ancient One and Scarlet Witch I think have been the two castings that have had the "whitewash" tag.

To be fair, I wouldn't trust actual Romani near a movie set. Fucking thieving bastards

It does not. See I'm sure in 10 years people will eventually change dictionaries to support ignorant retards with no education, but as it stands literally no proper dictionary definese whitewashing as making a character of another race white.

Why would you even spout this bullshit without even looking it up? You're already on the internet you lazy fuck.

Predictions, everyone?

I will buy other products

>Gamora being a black love interest

She is green and an alien.

Well yeah, but what do you think those fags will do?

>There was this whole fiasco on Twitter over the casting of Doctor Strange because they thought he was a Muslim in the comics.
I remember that! Someone finally responded that he was never Muslim, then the rage instantly shifted to "WELL WHY NOT, WHY CAN'T HE BE MUSLIM, HUH?"

Someone tell them that few Americans would want a Muslim doctor.

>wanting Strange to believe in any kind of abrahamic religion

god i fucking hate that the internet gives everyone a voice. why do people think that everything they think of is a good idea?

Oh no! They're going to ruin the movies by having minorities in them!

This shit is getting old. What kind of fucked up, racist-ass worldview do you have to have in order to think inclusive casting is a bad thing? All kinds of people go to see these movies; Whites, blacks, hispanics, asians. The audience is diverse, why shouldn't the characters be?

Who cares if Mary Jane is black? I doubt even Lee or Ditko give a shit. Get this Sup Forums shit out of here.

God is dead

The audience is diverse, so why SHOULD the characters be??

I don't understand your question. Marvel has always been a colorful reflection of the real world. They take place in places like new york city, have relatable characters, act as allegories for social issues. There are minorites and women in the real world. The films should reflect that, no?

God, fucking this. I'm one of those people who is all for diversity in both the comics and the movies, but Marvel is shit at it. Marvel has a lot of non-white, non-straight, non-whatever characters, but they don't utilize them. Instead, they make a bunch of new characters and wait for the applause to roll in. They don't even do it well, either. Instead of making a solid, believable character and then giving them good stories and awesome character development, they throw down a black kid, make it into a pr spectacle, and wait for their cookie.

Then, when the inevitable backlash rolls in about some new kid taking on an old mantle or whatever, Marvel can cry racism, but I don't think that's what's happening. There are always going to be fans that push back against classic characters passing the torch on to someone new, but I really don't think there would be this much bad blood if it were done well and believably. You can't introduce a bunch of new characters, pull them into huge events, have them do basically fuck all, and then send them back to their poorly written solo and expect people to fall in love with them. And then this cycle happens where they shove their "diverse" characters to the side, completely forget about them, or just straight up kill them off, and then start all over again.

>have relatable characters
lol

and the actress is from Puerto Rico

except it's not actually diverse when you just add more black people

Its gypsies.

You're going to deny that millions of shrimpy nerds relate to Peter Parker? Relatability was the mission statement when they created that character.

It's more diverse than it would be if the cast were all right. And I'm sure they'll hire more than just black people. The break-away star in ant-man was latino.

>a loser who remains a loser
Yeah, a valuable life lesson. Once a loser, forever a loser.

*All WHITE

I miss when people that read comics used to go to this board.

good good so Marvel can finally die.

Sorry, I forgot Pete is happily married to MJ and has a daughter, as well as a nice job at the Daily Bugle.

Flash Thompson, is that you??

>Having a movie that's not 100% white is "ruining" it
I see

Does that mean Captain Marvel is going to star Monica instead of Carol?
Or that Kamala will get a movie?
Or that any movie other than Black Panther and/or team flicks will star non-white characters?

>Moviegoers are more determined to see the real world reflected in film, and that means inclusive casting needs to become the norm

But in the real world people don't live near other races unless forced, at least in the US. Even in urban situations where it seems inevitable, all peoples draw back to themselves and resist integration. In the US, they don't mingle too much outside their tribes. People live with their own and tolerate the presence of others in their day to day, tolerate being the operative word.

Is the message not that diversity should be true to life but that forced diversity should be the norm in everyday life too?

Or would a more accurate representation of real life simply be too bleek and hypocritical?

You're thinking rural US and maybe Australia, mate. The rest of the civilized world co-mingles pretty easily.

Sure, you've got your Chine Towns, your Little Italys, your Brown Towns - but those are hold-overs from immigration waves.

>Companies such as Marvel have been criticized for whitewashing its characters
They have?

Iron Fist

inded, why a nigger can be racist and a white person can't?

Never underestimate the powers of casuals.

as a marvel drone, i must say i am getting pretty tired of Marvel's bullshit, their comics are shit and it seems their movies will go that way too.
fucking DC, move your ass and start doing something with your movies like you did with rebirth.

>why do people think that everything they think of is a good idea?
i would tell you that everybody thinks that their ideas are pure gold, the problem is when the people in charge start listening to every shit that comes their way.

>Betty Brant
Betty Brant / Glory Grant. I think that's an understandable mistake so I'll cut casuals some slack.

>Get this Sup Forums shit out of here.
it will be beautiful to see homecoming flop like GB2016 did :^)

>as a marvel drone
Indeed; marveldrones consider movies more important than comics.

>it's a "Sup Forums bitches about everyone not being white" episode

>it's a "i am gonna shill and shitpost with a trip, how they will pay me otherwise?" episode

Sounds like you've never been to New York City, the place where nearly all these movies are based. Even the historically black or Chinese neighborhoods have TONS of different races living in them.

"SOMEONE IS PAYING YOU TO HAVE A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME!"

nothing says totally-not-a-racist like declaring a fictional characters ethnicity wrong and deliberately changing it for claimed moral reasons.

Why are people demanding that everybody in the new marvel movies needs to be black when only 17% of america is african american.

This shit is getting retarded, when will they stop, when the cast of every movie ever is all black?

What percent of New York is black?

>Diversity only means Black these days.

It really does, and it makes no sense.

The black demographic makes up 12% of the country but every other character needs to be black in the movies? Including a nordic race of god-aliens? Come on now...

Meanwhile, the hispanic demographic has already surpassed blacks at 16% and rising, but no push to get the latino representation up.

Asians are 5% of the country but might as well be Inuit on the movie screen for how rare they are.

If hollywood wants to be diverse, maybe they should show more religious affiliations onscreen? A quarter of the country is Catholic, how about showing that more often? But no, thats the *wrong* sort of diversity.

>Moviegoers are more determined than ever to see the real world reflected in film, and that means inclusive casting needs to become a norm.
Cause, you see, only Tumblr watch movies, right?

Wouldn't this fuck something up with China, though?

>WELL WHY NOT, WHY CAN'T HE BE MUSLIM, HUH?
Pretty sure being a wizard (and pretty much anything else but Muslim) is an affront to Allah.

>I doubt even Lee or Ditko give a shit.

Ditko shitposts on Sup Forums. He probably gives a shit.

>fans and critics have started to call out hollywood for rather homogenous casts

which fans and critics, pray tell...?

if my town ever had a performance of Othello played by a white man when the script calls for a black lead role, i would not see it.

Do you understand yet?

Premium weapons-grade bait

>black Kingpin
>black Fury
>black Heimdall
>black Electro
>black Kree
>whitewashing

Do you part, Sup Forumsmrades.
I, for one, won't go to see it.

Yeah, didn't you see? They whitewashed Ancient One! KEK
Those racist bastards.

I would if Mary Jane's whiteness ever came into play in the comics. Othello is Moorish, his appearance is important because he's from a part of the world where there aren't any white people. These Marvel characters are American, they could look like anyone. I would see your point if they cast a black guy as Captain Nazi or something, where the character's race was consequential to the story.

I wish America was less obsessed with race and gender.

>Moviegoers are more determined than ever to see the real world reflected in films about gods, aliens, monsters, robots, and men in spandex fighting other gods, aliens, monsters, robots, and men in spandex.

I want to leave

>black Kree
? The Kree are blue

I blame Obama.

Black people can be Kree too! Check your fucking priviledge!