What happened in instrumentality? Was Shinji made aware that he's a fictional character...

What happened in instrumentality? Was Shinji made aware that he's a fictional character? What was the point of this film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gGLWNVG9e3Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Buddhist apocalypse. Watch Angel Beats or read Wikipedia about Buddhism. Instead of going to Heaven you just stop existing.

Humanity turns into a mass of consciousnesses with no individuality able to experience each other's thoughts and feelings as their own
Shinji rejects this because he still has a strongly defined sense of individuality and reforms his body due to how AT fields work, Asuka does the same
I don't know how Rebuild fits into all of it, I only watched 2 of them

Rei/Lilith/Adam produced an anti-A.T. field which caused all of the A.T. fields of Lilith-based life on Earth (namely humans) to collapse, and revert back to LCL fluid.

So humanity basically became one united colony organism, but individuals have the choice of reforming their bodies and returning to the physical world which Shinji does.

Bingo.

Rebuilds don't fit in at all. They are an alternate timeline and don't effect the main plot

the end of the anime > End of Evangelion

Does anyone talk about how parts of the series seem to ape a lot of Fellini?

>Comparing the endings
Each ending only works with the other. I don't see how someone could prefer one.

Rei, the giant creature in OP, is a clone or derivative of an alien called lillith. Rei is basically omnipotent and brings about the end of days by activating a giant alien artifact that turns all life on earth into a jelly able to recall and reform the conciousness of the individuals within.

Shinji, our protagonist, is a lonely little bitch boy and would rather be a lonely individual than some chad slime.

Or somehting like that. Best part of Eva is the cool robot stuff, plot is draining and largely exists in its own vacuum.

Shinji felt more complete as a character after the anime than he did during the movie

Evangelion is basically an eastern analysis of western ideas. The epilogue of eoe is from Godard's Breathless, for example

>Best part of Eva is the cool robot stuff

>Clone or derivative of Lilith
Close. She is a clone of Shinjis mother, with the soul of Lilith. That is why she combines with the giant crucified Lilith in EoE.

Other than that you are MOSTLY right. The reason everyone turns into LCL is because of the joining of Lilith and Adam, not because of the "artifact", which really is inconsequential as far as the anime is concerned

Well yea, that's because you are getting a look directly into his mind. I don't even think it's that important to see that character development if we don't get to see it's effect on him as a person in EoE

>
>
>Bingo.
>Rebuilds don't fit in at all. They are an alternate timeline and don't effect the main plot

Dogg is you retarded?

They take place AFTER the series. They stressed that so hard in the third movie. How did you not pick up on that?

They take place in a timeloop that occurs after the series ends. It's still it's own self contained series of events. They may come after in the overall continuity, but they have zero impact on the original show and movie.

Rebuild clearly takes place after EoE, how exactly it all fits together is still unexplained though and it might forever be.

Read
It's a timeloop.

Read the Evangelion manga. The manga, like the reboots, is in a timeloop following the original series and completely reenforces that's where the rebuilds take place.

I read the manga up to nearly the end (the rest hadn't come out at the time) and there was nothing about it being a timeloop as far as I remember. But sure, it could be a loop (I personally don't like the idea, a loop with Kaworu trying to break Shinji out just reeks of Madoka), point is it definitely takes place after the original EoE events.

some idiot stole an alien carcass to trigger an apocalypse just so he can see his dead wife again. Shinji is a dumb teenager that was used to do just that. The point of the movie was to make fun of weebs just like the tv series and to kill off as many characters as possible

>film
This isn't even a flick desu senpai
Go back to and stay there

Specifically 8 1/2 at certain parts. The end of the series reminded me of the whore house scene in 8 1/2

Guys we have like six threads already about the Twin Peaks finale. Use one of those.

The manga literally ends with the timeloop happening. We see it right in action.

Honestly it's fucking kino. I recommend any Evangelion to check out the manga any time they want to revisit/rewatch the series. It changes just enough to keep it fresh but overall keeps the same tone. A lot of people actually prefer the manga ending to the anime.

I think I stopped reading right as the Seele soldiers invaded NERV

Need to pick it back up and reread it in full

I see. I'll read the stuff I'm missing soon, hell I might just re-read the whole thing. I still like to believe it's not a loop per se though, just that after EoE someone set in motion shenanigans that made people come back from the LCL with no memory of the events for some reason.

He accepted to destroy individuality, so it turned everybody into LCD, the orange liquid.
Basically they wanted to all souls to be together, in a single entity, that was the point of instrumentality, and that's why Gendo wanted it, to be together with Yui.
Together, humanity would be godlike.

The point of the film tought, is Shinji deciding that no matter how much pain amd sorrow people cause, he wants a world with individual people. So he steps out of the juice with Asuka at the end.

LCL* sorry

There is evidence that the Rebiuld films take place after the impact on End of Eva.
The red sea, eva corpses, blood stained moon, Kaworu saying he will make Shinji happy *this time*, etc.

I never really understood why Nerv was invading if Gendo wanted the same thing they did. I got the feeling they wanted something different, like they wanted evolution while Gendo wanted devolution or something like that but I never really delved into Evangelion enough to clear that up

>The only way to achieve true happiness is giving up your own individuality.

>But if you give it up you are not really able to experience happiness nor anything else.

Shinji realizes that the world of instrumentality isn't really real, that humans need pain and others to truly exist, and that instrumentality is really just denying this truth, a stubborn refusal to face reality.
It's like being born just to dream, in this sense you are not really something that was ever alive and you mine as well just not even exist at all.
The real world can be upleasant, and people are bound to hurt each other and get hurt. When Shinji was on Earth all he ever seemed to feel was pain, and he feared he would never find true happiness. When he is finally shown heaven, the world he wished for, he understands all that really matters is being able to experience and love others. People will struggle with each other, struggle to know each other, their true selves and this can cause pain, but it derives from hope thay one day you will learn to fully understand another. It is this struggle, and the little hope that comes with it, that makes life something worth living.
In the world of instrumentality others don't exist and so the hope is gone.

he wanted to trigger an apocalypse and kill millions of people just to see his dead wife
he stole huge amounts of money from them

>he wanted to trigger an apocalypse and kill millions of people
But isn't that what Seele wanted too anyway? And they weren't dying anyway, they were becoming hive-minded primordial soup, which is pretty cool you don't have to pay bills anymore or anything

They didn't want the fate of the world in the hands of his son, and the evas to top the impact.
That's why they developed the Dummy plug, and deployed the series evas.
Shinji still won tho, so he got the keys to heaven.

They both wanted to manipulate the development and outcome of the Third Impact for their own ends.

They wanted the same thing for different reasons.

>What happened in instrumentality?

Rei/Lilith (the same entity in truth) combined all human souls into a single psyche. They could break apart if they truly wished it, but only Shinji and Asuka did so

>Was Shinji made aware that he's a fictional character?

no

>What was the point of this film?
fans were angry at how the original TV series didn't resolve any of the plot elements and just focused on Shinji's mind for 2 episodes.

It was Judy

The instrumentality is a metaphor for the internet ... when we re able to see whats in the mind of others humanity will reject itself and either self destroy or destroy the internet.

Yeah no shit, but it still takes place after EoE. Why do you keep reinforcing a point everyone is aware of?

youtu.be/gGLWNVG9e3Q

Sort of like we all have the choice to disconnect from facebook and live in the real world again.

>Shinji resets everything to a world in which the 2nd impact, NERV, and everything/everyone he knows never existed, and only he remembers how it all came to be.

Comics ending is the best Eva ending, by a long, long shot.

what gave those specific two their senses of individuality? does it have to do with their experiences in the Evas?

>chad slime
someone do the drawing with shinji as virgin non-conformist

I love both of these things but this shit is autistic as fuck.

>Seele soldiers

That was the UN

>be kid downloading anime almost 20 years ago
>download the eva hentai movie
For so long I thought that was the ending ova and I never finished the series because I thought the creator just said fuck it and wrote the orgy in because he couldn't tie up his confusing story. Nothing back then had thumb nails, so it was just titled eva-ova

Bump

Try replying to a post and generating discussion you fucking mongo

The point of the film was that Shinji was finally given the opportunity to achieve true connection with others (through instrumentality), but he rejected it, choosing individuality and the possibility of pain. It's about him finally facing his fears. The end.

Shinji realises it's better to face reality even if it's painful and rejects existence as part of a gestalt hive mind

It was the JSSDF

The art style was super accurate too.