ITT you explain your reasoning for opposing or supporting interplanetary travel

ITT you explain your reasoning for opposing or supporting interplanetary travel.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WM88Pyq8Vs8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I dont understand why someone would oppose it apart from the amount of money it would cost.

It would be incredibly beneficial to research our understanding of the universe.

in my opinion there should be a world space program instead of individual countries having to allocate some of their own budget towards doing their small part.

I don't want to drink my own piss.

We can't do it effectively yet. Even faggot pilgrims traveling across the Atlantic had more of a chance at surviving coming to the new world then we would going to mars. Plus, there's no point going somewhere we can't sustain life yet, that's the whole reason exploration even exists

So much room for activities. Taking dominion over nature is our borderline spiritual duty as human beings.

Interplanetary travel maybe. Interstellar travel never.

BTW, nice picture of an Orion ship. Too bad it will never be built.

We're going to annihilate ourselves long before we achieve such dreams.

I hope you're prepared to become a tombworld.

interplanetary sex will be degenerate

i support interplanetary travels as long as passengers pay it from their pocket not mine.

There's actually a ton of people using this rhetoric: "We have no business in space, while there still are problems here on Earth". Makes me fucking furious...

It's our birthright as humans to conquer as much of the universe as we possibly can

I like earth

But i'm not stopping you guys, go ahead. I'll stay here in Denmark meanwhile.

>our birthright

Explain please, i don't see how that is our "birthright"

The desire to co-exist with other intelligent life and learn of their culture/technology.

Germs

Necessary technology not available for 500 more years. Waste of time and money now. Let dot com nerds fuck around with trying to capture asteroids and mine them, good enough.

Both.

Humans have no choice but to colonize space. In order to survive we will NEED colonized planets.

However, we must expand at a slow, controlled rate. There is a trillion things that can kill us in space, one of which is hostile aliens. If we come into contact with a civilization that is more advanced than us, you can kiss the human race goodbye.

We need to expand slowly, and constantly consolidate our resources and defenses.

you're already drinking someone else's piss

>mine additional resources from asteroids
>conduct studies on foriegn planets
>develop cheaper means of travel

No point on the basis there's nowhere else to go with any reasonable chance of success

Not to mention Earth is the absolute best place for us

But no, we'll continue to fuck it up, because muh something something

Monkeys and dolphins are too distracted by their day to day lives to care about space. Even if they did care, we have big brains and they don't.

Thus it is our birthright. If we don't do it nothing else will.

I oppose interplanetary space travel because there is a small, but real, chance it could lead to the jewing of the universe.

I hate gypsies. I don't want to see our entire species turning into space gypsies

We'll inevitably run out of resources as a species, so we have no choice but to leave this rock for another eventually, provided we don't become extinct first

No, there is a choice. We can just stay here on Earth.

too progressive
Im happy with this planet
one distant day when we can justify it, maybe,...

ooo! ooo!

The Emo Who Has Asthma Attacks game!

This galaxy belongs to humanity, if some xeno scum wants to deny it they will met our wrath

>tfw no qt 3.14 turian gf

born too early to explore the stars
just shoot me in the face right now lads

Reminder that your tax payer money could be going towards NASA to improve the Human race instead of buying quanishaisha's weaves.

>Trump becomes president
>Makes nice with Russia
>A new space race begins, Russia/USA vs China
>suddenly North Korea uses their hand-made rocket building skills they've honed over the past 20 years to launch a manned mission to mars
>the peasants onboard are thrilled because they think there's more food there than in Best Korea
>there isn't, but North Korea gets to Mars first and China sends a successful rescue mission, planned well in advance and made entirely to copy and one-up the script of The Martian
>Russia and USA pool their nuclear arsenal and decide to make a mission to one-up China
>they create an Orion-class ship and send it to the Centauri system to the newly discovered, possibly habitable world there, and fuel it with the combined nuclear arsenal of both nations

but now his own

I would be really upset if my taxes were going to NASA.

My friend works for the government as a pro bird watcher doing bird species conservation. And I hit his take on nature and our human role in it. Even by his hippy view, if we are really one with the earth, if ants and the animals are really equal to us, then we are the vessel for all life on earth to use in order to get redundancy to our fellow life forms on this planet. As great as the ants are, realistically they won't have a chance to escape this planet and get redundancy to their species without our help. And so that is our purpose as humans and it is about time that nigger obama dropped his inferiority complex and unleashed the full potential of humanity.

>could be going towards NASA to improve the Human race
i didn't know NASA is in charge of eugenics programs and exterminating shitkskins in US.

TRIGGER WARNING: Post deals with issues of ableness

Because the shitlords that currently promote science fiction eg Star Trek refuse to make their star ships wheelchair-friendly.

I mean it's literally against current laws. What did they do, genocide all mobility-challenged people in the 24th century?

A self sustaining ship that can support multiple generation travel would allow interstellar travels without FTL drives. And you know perfectly well that it can be built, only reason it's not is because of non-militaristic space treaty and the fact that there's no point.

fuck reasoning, we have plenty of obligation no matter what our beliefs. space colonisation would save humanity;

>resource dwindling becomes laughable
>politics become ignorable over massive distance
>stop buttraping earth (if you buy into all that)
>actually mark our present time as significant in humanity's story rather than leaving it as a time where we ate burgers and cruise missiled each other
>globalists AND nationalists become irrelevant

cant wait tbqhwyfam

>What did they do, genocide all mobility-challenged people in the 24th century?
Cyberlegs?

As it currently stands we'd likely die of radiation or some form of organ failure after prolonged time spent in space. I'm not going to go look up whatever articles discussing it but basically we'd never survive long enough to travel to another solar system. I like the thought of researching ways to counteract those effects and creating new forms of propulsion that could get us where we need to go faster, but everything in its current state is still weak compared to all that we can dream.

>I don't want to go to space so I will prevent others from doing this
>I don't want to play music so I will prevent others from doing this
>I don't want to own guns so I will prevent others from doing this
>I don't want religious freedom/freedom of speech so I will prevent others from having it

Typical muzzie/totalitarianist mindset.

this fucking pisses me off I think im gonna go do something in public over this.

I don't think you understand the distances involved between neighbour stars. The amount of inbreeding that would have to occur to sustain the population on such a ship would be ridiculous.

>globalists become the new nationalists
>galacticism is the new globalism

Other forms of nuclear pulse propulsion exist that are much more efficient. Look up Project Daedalus.

Talking about space exploration makes me dizzy
Anyways, i saw in some documentary that communication between earth and mars would be incredibly slow (telephone and internet) so i cannot imagine it in other planets

This is an interesting topic. Doesn't inbreeding cause acceleration in evolutionary forces?

This is an interesting topic. Doesn't inbreeding cause an acceleration in evolutionary forces? I mean if the crew is large enough that it can go 3 generations without brother and sister then is that enough to avoid retardedness?

Star Trek Discovery better fix this.

We should start a petition

You don't need legs in microgravity environments.

Even if it does, it introduces fatal genetic defects much faster.

More like used their medical technology to fix any defects present in either a fetus or a person post-birth.

It's hundreds of years from now, would it really be that hard?

>enterprise had a black guy in a wheelchair

yeah well, fuck it I don't know.

Because the galaxy is ours and must be conquered

>It would be incredibly beneficial to research our understanding of the universe.
first of all, what? what does that even mean, to research our understanding of something.
second, we are not going to be doing the researching, the people whom we will never see again ever will.
We simply supply a bunch of leftist fetuses with the entire budget of Israel defense.
and send them on a mission to nowhere, for some droid to raise them on an alien planet whose atmosphere may or may not be able to terraform, in which case you've just started a dying colony.
also, isn't space known pretty much for being a place full of absolutely nothing?

Clearly he doesn't realize that we couldn't possibly build a self-sustaining ship right now.

See the enormous failure that was the Biosphere 2 project.

if you watch the last episode of enterprise you realize it was all Riker's holodeck program, loosely based on history

also the answer is simple, they don't let rejects into starfleet

>Was all rikers holodeck sim

Wat

Lets fucking do it!

There is literally no reason not to.

>oh, b-but what about the starving kids in Africa!
Who fucking cares? I'd rather explore the Universe and meet Aliums than feed those useless fuckers.

> in my opinion there should be a world space program instead of individual countries having to allocate some of their own budget towards doing their small part

Even though I agree with you on some parts, I think only real competition between countries and corporations can create an outcome that will make sure we can travel in space.

I'm all for colonizing other planets because Earth needs competition.

Nations on Earth can't compete with each other any more because our weapons are powerful enough to destroy the planet. Our economies are now so tightly linked that no one is willing to rock the boat. We're all in this together now and we'll either succeed together or fail together.

When Earth fails together humanity needs another planet to pick up the slack. Other planets won't have to worry about invasion and won't be tightly coupled to the Earth economy. When Earth slides into decline, or its globalized economy crashes, Mars can have a good laugh, get to work, and carry on without us.

I only oppose them returning without a probationary quarantine period so they don't come back and infect the entire planet with fast-acting space aids and wipe the whole species out.

nope, retard there will always be competition without even countries. competition is a human desire and sometimes it's fun.

Let's not pollute the universe with niggers

>there should be a world space program

Globalist scum

>opposing or supporting interplanetary travel

We can finally run from niggers and Jews.

>what a waste of money. For that amount you could solve the hunger problem in the world, muh african chiluns !!!!

The solution is an all female crew with a massive sperm bank :^)
All male babies aborted of course! The feminist dream.

have an immortal population then :^)

would love to have signed up for mars one (if it ever actually happens). have the qualifications, but i have responsibilities here on earth (kids).

it is our nature to explore and conquer what people believe is inhospitable. we will conquer the stars.....ok white people and asians will anyway.

It's completely unfeasible at the present and isn't worth it scientifically. Sending robots/probes is a lot more effective.

I have less of a problem with actual planetary travel than with the gay faggoty homo "let's make Star Trek real" science cargo cult. It's become a huge thing in the last decade. Everyone "fucking loves science" now, though what they actually love is sensationalist stories and being associated with science because it's popular. They don't actually care about science or else they'd do some actual research on it rather than sharing shitty sensationalist sci journalism articles on Facebook.

This faggotry has grown to such monumental proportions that it is literally religious. Call it futurology, singularitarianism, or transhumanism, just autistic sub-classifications for really wanting to make scifi real and making uninformed spectulations about The Future. A.I. God will be invented and wipe all of our assholes, post-scarcity and UBI will give free shit for everyone, we'll all have immortality via cyborg bodies and an afterlife via mind uploading, we're going to colonize space with technology that may as well be fucking space magic.

Google, other tech companies, and a whole array of charlatains are promoting this movement. Elon Musk lives off that shit by tempting sci cargo cultists.

Let's make a deal. We can send people to Mars to inevitably die, and in return all the science cargo-cultists and launched to the moon.

It's for Singularity to deside

With our current technology it would take 17,000 years for a human spacecraft to reach the nearest star.

It is completely impossible for us, and if you think differently you're an ignorant faggot.

lol memeularity.

"God A.I. is going to make scifi real."

I mean, singularity will happen sooner than intergalactic space travel. If any of this will happen

Other planets are so shit that their will be no competition. Do you compete with Penguins of Antarctica or Himalayan Empire? Even after full scale nuclear war Earth would be better place to live than any other system planet in Solar system.

asteroids and solar flares. Also resources
Mankind had 3 haves of Earth colonization driven essentially by the hunger.

Fucking wat

I like W40k and want a god emperor.

This guy gets it

>asteroids and solar flares.
No asteroid or solar flare will turn Earth into Mars or, God forbid, Venus.

>Also resources
You will spent order of magnitude more recourse trying to reach them.

>Mankind had 3 haves of Earth colonization driven essentially by the hunger.
Yeah moving on foot to places where is more food is so similar to spending income of million of people to send dozen people to walk on bare rock with no food in sight.. Colonization's were movement from shit places to better, space flights are exact opposite of this.

Keeping all your eggs in one basket is a terrible idea when you can trip on a rock that will explode your legs.

These guys don't get it because they are popsci faggots.

>No asteroid or solar flare will turn Earth into Mars or, God forbid, Venus.
So backup colony is a good thing, right?

>You will spent order of magnitude more recourse trying to reach them.
It depends. Take for instance living space.

>Yeah moving on foot to places where is more food is so similar to spending income of million of people to send dozen people to walk on bare rock with no food in sight.. Colonization's were movement from shit places to better, space flights are exact opposite of this.
Not always. Sometimes people just fled from certain death.

It's a waste of time. Everything humans need is right here, yo know on the planet where humans actually evolved?

I dread the day exploration will be banned on ecological reasons
>bolluting Bars is like wrong :DDD

This thread is irrelevant and hypotethical since it's the "sphere theory" gets weaker every day and therefore space travel remains science fiction

Fuck those stoopid ocean travellers. I have all the bananas I want here.

Yeah i mean fuck exploration right, Christopher Colombus was such a huge retard. why the fuck did he leave, there was plenty of soup for him in spain

At this time nobody really gives a fuck.

Whos going to pay for all it?

WE MUST EXPLORE THE OCEAN BEFORE WE EXPLORE THE OCEAN OF SPACE!!!!!
>inb4 metor

let us alllllll remeber the reason we have a space program is so we dont go the way of the dino

>So backup colony is a good thing, right?
Build it on Earth. It much more feasible than on other planets.

>Sometimes people just fled from certain death.
This is another wording for:
>from shit places to better
If Gods decides to move you from Earth to Mars right now then sure death awaits you there.

>Build it on Earth
Pic related

If we the people are able to use future technology to create ressourcless wealth, the only thing from stopping scientific progress is humanity itself. We need a common enemy to be united or atleast something that divides us. Im not sure if humanity is able to work united towards progress. But that doesnt matter now. First we must eliminate the people who want to use future technology only for themselves before we think about our next steps.

Old world countries had capabilities to reach America for hundreds years before Columbus. In Columbus time overall numbers of ships in European fleets were thousand but they were still to lazy and scared to sail into America. They departure only after technology made it literally next corner away. Were are thousands of Mars capable spaceships comparable at least to humble NiƱa in regular commerce use again?
youtube.com/watch?v=WM88Pyq8Vs8
Wait for that first then talk about colonisation

For. Human race has gone too long without large scale exploration missions.

I support it. Because Earth doesn't have that long left.

Vaults far away from impact would be fine.

>from shit places to better
It's better for mankind to die trying.
Anyway, we don't have technologies that will allow even temporary Mars base. But it's better to develop them.
For instance, we still don't have autonomous air purification systems. Even ISS uses open cycle air purification, they require chemical supply from Earth. There is no real protection from cosmic rays (ISS is within Van Allen belts, so it doesn't need serious protection). Proper protection for a few months in space will require something more fantastic than any sci-fi movie had yet imagined.