Can season 1 of True Detective be considered Lovecraftian horror?

Can season 1 of True Detective be considered Lovecraftian horror?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X8zTSDFiI24
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

no u fucking faggot

No you idiot. There was nothing remotely supernatural in the show. Are you on dope?

Do you ever think before posting things on the internet?

it has elements of it though

well it was only good when we didn't know what the fuck was going on

>lovecraftian

did you even watch it?

It follows the formula of many of Lovecraft's works. Protagonist(s) working to uncover the acts of a cult where said cult's followers have unclear, mysterious, and disturbing motivations and practices. By the end of the story the protagonist (Matthew) finds his own mind to begin slipping as he becomes more and more invested culminating in him seeing Carcosa (which is if I recall correctly a direct reference to a cosmic horror in Lovecraft's mythos.) It's not clear whether or not what he sees is actually real and evidence that the cult was on to something or if it was just some fucked acid flashback but still.

samefag

>Hallucinations = The Supernatural

What the fuck are you on about?

Can OP be considered a massive faggot?
Yes

No. It never actually contained any supernatural elements, no matter how much some fans wanted it to.

Isn't clear if it was a hallucination. None of his hallucinations were anywhere near as intense or vivid as what he saw in Carcosa.

Yes it was the most lovecraftian thing in many respects in both movies and vidya. Ignore the shitters that say otherwise cause they have never read any lovecraft story.

Did we ever establish whether it's okay to mow another man's lawn or not?

This.

namefag

yes

He literally said that he suffers from hallucinations due to his time as an undercover cop and the massive amounts of drugs hes taken. Seriously go rewatch the show you clueless faggot.

Whatever he saw disappeared immediately afterward, and if Childress or Marty saw it they never indicated that they did. The smart money's on it being a hallucination.

You're a fucking nigger. That's the point. It could be either a hallucination or something real. His past hallucinations consist of him seeing distorted lights and patterns in a flock of birds. These are nowhere near intense as seeing a cosmic portal opening up in the sky.

You absolute fuckface. He made it VERY clear that they were just hallucinations throughout the entire fucking show. Thats his character you inept dweeb. He is mental.

It is not.

Reggie knew Rust would see Carcosa. He knew Errol would be there waiting for him. "You're in Carcosa now. He sees you."

The lovecraftian horror is about the unknow not the supernatural shit per se.

Yes. This guy gets it.

>Lovecraft isn't tentacles

Part of why season 1 was so good was how it flirted with Lovecraftian/supernatural shit without being totally overt and committing to it. If they had actually went all out with tentacles and space gods it would've been fucking retarded.

Yes, I'd say so and my opinion counts because i'm a confirmed genius

nor is rubbing another man's rubarb

This was such a brilliant scene
>youre in carcosa now..

Also, since when is anything supernatural a lovecraftian element?
This thread is mega shit.

I'd have no problem with it, in fact I hope in season 3 it's even stronger

Honestly I wouldn't be totally against it either. They could totally pull it off. I honestly wouldn't mind them tying the story to the events of season 1 either. Maybe the new protagonists eventually picking up the pieces and going after the Tuttles with Rust making an appearance again.

NO.

KYS TREVOR.

No, it would have been what they advertized it would be!

I surely was disappointed that nothing really lovecraftian ever manifested in the end. youtube.com/watch?v=X8zTSDFiI24

its literally philosophy 101 written by a pretentious community college professor.

YES

>saemfags his own thread after being shit on for 20 minutes

Stop referring as anything even remotely supernatural as lovecraftian, you retarded fuck.

But how would you know when you clearly dropped out in grade 8 Gummo?

Not one chance kek

Sup Forums btfo

"mmmm i got a clue" - matthew mckonyhey

What? I'm in the OPPOSITE camp. I was DISAPPOINTED that the show had nothing lovecraftian/supernatural going on, despite being advertized as so.

Isnt it about time Op deletes this shitfest and makes his usual gay Cthulhu movie pasta everyone shits on?

Name me three (3) "Lovecratian" tv shows.

True Detective Season 1 (2014)
True Detective Season 2 (2015)
True Detective Season 3 (2018)

batman vs superman

>lovecraftian/supernatural
Just stop.

I unno, LOL

No, U!

Why the fuck weren't Marty and Rust immediately arrested at the end? They weren't even legal agents of the law anymore, forcibly entered that house and threatened the retard with a gun before shooting Errol. Is that not illegal?

Marty made a deal with hothead cop

Idk but I know its ofter refered to as "McConaugheyesque"

>Hallucinations = supernatural
That's basically how modern gothic fiction works you fucking dunce

I thought it was made pretty obvious that all that was was Rust having yet another drug flashback hallucination.

I dunno, but I'm going to rewatch it to get the shit taste of The Return out of my mind.

I'd agree but there's no denying that vision in Carcosa is waaaay more intense than any of his past hallucinations.

True Detective S1 takes far more inspiration from Thomas Ligotti than H.P Lovecraft, if you want to talk Horror writers.

I think it had something to do with the location. He's at the spot where the guy he's been chasing for nearly twenty years lives. All the weird imagery, stick things, it's the culmination of Rust's detective journey. The hallucinations just got kicked up a notch due to that, IMO.

Caspar knew this

Finally someone contributes something worthwhile to this garbage thread.

Is this show any good or is it just a generic detective show?

actually good

It's not Lovecraftian it's Chambersian.
The king in yellow comes from the writings of Robert Chambers.
Even the fact that criminals and one of the heroes are probably mad and see mirages could pretty much fit into the style of that story circle.

>Lovecraftian

I watched it this way, too. I've read quite a few non-lovecraft novels that follow the same pattern. It didn't have a proper conclusion to be truly Lovecraftian horror, at least in my book. It did sink my mind into season 1 of True Detective though. That shit was unreals, with that pacing and acting delivery being attacked from two sides in the genre like that.

Absolute kino.

Chambers directly inspired Lovecraft's works. Dude loved The King in Yellow.

>A few instances of the supernatural
>Likely in one of the characters minds or more likely...
>Thematic elements for visual flair
>No lovecraftian elements or horrors found or even implied
>The entire thing is gothic horror at best in that regard

Nope.

Woody Harrelson is the luckiest goddamn man alive for a man whos father was a hitman.

>Story taking place over a long period of time
>Centered around investigation into a mysterious and seemingly insane cult.
>Damaged protagonists, one of which has continuous brushes with insanity
>Reoccurring dialogue on the true nature of time, dimensions, the universe.
>An actual fucking cosmic portal appears (whether it's a hallucination or not.)

This is literally the format near every Lovecraft story uses.

You tell me.

btw it was Satan