Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

I recently watched Fire Walk With Me and enjoyed it a lot. Sheryl Lee's performance was probably the best part. The girl can act really well. You get sucked into her role.

I understand it's not a perfect movie but why does it get so much hate?
I read that during 1992 Cannes Film Festival people were booing at the opening. Seriously?

Whats everyone's take on it?

bump

Its good but really fucking dark.

Literally "Reddit: THE MOVIE"
S1>S2>>FWWM>>>>S3

But why the negative response? Why the hell were people booing? It just seems like a long Twin Peaks episode which the fans should love. I think it's really underrated

It wasn't what people wanted. The series ended on a cliffhanger and instead of wrapping that up we got Laura Palmer's backstory, which we already knew about.

it's pretty well-loved nowadays and is essential w/r/t The Return

basically, the backlash was a knee-jerk reaction to it being very different from the show stylistically, with only a few returning characters, and that it was a prequel

You're wrong. It's an objectively bad movie. You should get better taste. Watch more film.

It messed with people's expectations

haha

L Y N C H E D

the first 30 minutes are total ass, but it's fine after that

>he doesn't like based Chet
get a load of this faggot

What the fuck was that Bowie scene?

He was talking about Judy.

If people say the ring protected Laura, why did Chet disappear when he touched it?

>It's an objectively bad movie.
explain

It's miserable and horrific and was a prequel to a tv show that had a cliffhanger. So people were stupid and reactive. It's fine now.

it's one of the most important scenes in the twin peaks universe and makes a lot more sense if you watch season 3

Because he isn't the chosen one.

I'm on season 2. Thanks for the tip though

pahhahahahahaha

The first 30 minutes are a hilarious parody of the tv show where everything is backwards. FWWM destroys the show, it sets out from the first moment to discard the tv shows light fluff and drags you into an upsetting nightmare. Starting by shattering a tv set.

Why the fuck did you watch fire walk with me then

Because I'm close to the end of season 2.

Nice bait

>Sheryl Lee's performance was probably the best part. The girl can act really well. You get sucked into her role.

Holy shit nigger, you are one retarded pleb. Her acting was fucking awful, it was beyond fucking hammy. Anyways, her acting detracted from the movie. It also felt incomplete to me because the real Donna was not there, which sucked. I liked the beginning but it kinda dragged near the middle end.

pfft you wouldn't know kino acting if it bit you in the ass.

t. literal retard.

unbased watch more film poster

Great movie, Sheryl Lee is fucking amazing. It's a shame the movie tanking critically and financially killed her chance at being a star, her performance is the best of any of the female actors in the series. I think reception would have been a lot better if the first thirty minutes were cut (I like the Chet sequence but it's ultimately just an inversion of the show's themes, and the editing of the Bowie scenes in the movie is atrocious).

Definitely my favorite part of the Twin Peaks franchise, and in my top three of Lynch films.

Because it clashes with the show's tone. Normies who were into the show weren't ready to experience Lynch going full Lynch with it. While the show obviously had a dark undercurrent, the main focus was on the more quirky, camp elements. The movie shows an incestuous rape scene, Bobby blowing some guys brains out, Donna being practically date-raped. It's like the tunnel in Willy Wonka, it just caught people off guard to the point that they couldn't understand it's obvious genius.

People were butthurt that Lynch went back to Laura Palmer when she was always the aspect that he was most interested in. I was skeptical when I first watched the series hearing it was a prequel but after I could see how he was totally right, seeing the horror of her life was absolutely riveting. To me, Twin Peaks is about her ever since, Dale Cooper is an entertaining and lovable side attraction.

Ray Wise is also total kino.

Because they wanted more of Twin Peaks the show and were angry that Lynch did something different and stylistically different. Kind of like the reaction to season 3 from some people.

>5000 threads later and /tpg/ STILL cannot definitively, with one voice, say who was in the wrong here

People keep saying it's "genius" but what's so genius about it?

At most it just fucks with audience expectations but it's extremely disjointed and gives us very little new info while expanding the backstory that really didn't need expanding.
Tonally and structurally it's unsound and Donna being recast is a severe misstep (why not omit here entirely if LFB won't participate?).
Same thing with Coop, who's reduced to a cameo.

Lynch has a lot of crazy ideas that mostly pan out in an interesting way but having FWWM be a prequel of sorts was a mistake and having Coop be trapped in Dougie for 95% of S3 is also a mistake.
Those two are simply bad ideas taken too far.

Another huge mistake is having the entirety of the TP universe revolve around Laura.
It would be far better if she was simply an opening move that set the tone of the show and the larger setting.

How would they omit Donna when she's Laura's best friend and already established to have been an important part of her last week? I agree it's not ideal but Moira Kelly did fine.

As for your complaint about Laura, she was always the most interesting part of the franchise to Lynch. Go read any interviews with him, even back when he was making the film he said "I couldn't get myself to leave the world of Twin Peaks. I was in love with the character of Laura Palmer and her contradictions: radiant on the surface but dying inside. I wanted to see her live, move and talk. I was in love with that world and I hadn't finished with it".

FWWM is literal pleb filter. The comfy pie and coffee fags can't get it, their minds can't comprehend that even in the original series, beyond the comfort of it all is the basis, the story of a dead girl who suffered rape and abuse throughout her life

>How would they omit Donna when she's Laura's best friend

By not focusing the entire movie on Laura and by not making it a prequel.

Which goes hand in hand with my other complaint that the whole thing after S2 took a huge misstep into focusing too much on Laura.

It's the equivalent of Lucas having the entire SW saga focus on Skywalkers to the point where Anakin was the chosen one.
Looks like Laura is the chosen one too.

Or how Ridley Scott had to explain the space jockeys and the xenos.

Instead of moving their respective franchises forward these guys decided to obsess with pottery with diminishing results.