Logan review

#1 cliché: hero drinks and doesn't want to help anymore
#2 cliché: hero beats up some southern racists
#3 cliché: racists show up in bigger numbers, and get beat up some more
#4 cliché: cute girl ends up being biggest badass in the whole universe (i.e. Dark Angel, Serenity, Let the Right One In, Fire starter..... come on, kids! Fill in the blank!)
#5 cliché: they reach a sanctuary populated by kids of every PC color in the rainbow
#6 cliché: hero dies so feminist-power poster girl gets to lead the multi-ethnic band of future X-Men/women/transgender-what-the-hells.

Other urls found in this thread:

denofgeek.com/us/movies/logan/262194/logan-a-perfect-x-men-movie-for-the-age-of-donald-trump
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>hating on logan
Hows the virginity treating you

>#5 cliché: they reach a sanctuary populated by kids of every PC color in the rainbow
the only thing that pissed me off, you just KNEW some executive forced them to do it

Now explain to me how each of those things are bad without simply resorting to calling them cliches.

Logan is a piece of shit I started hating him in the 2000's

#7 clichgay: OP is a faggot

You forgot crotchety and weathered protagonist reluctantly has his heart warmed by young/vulnerable companion he needs to protect.

The movie did actually suck, though...

Tried to post this on Netflix, and it said there was an "error" and couldn't post it.

No it didn't.

Yeah, it did.

>virgin shaming
You are either a redditor or a woman. Go away

there are cliches in every movie. nothings hasn't been done before. I'm a Trump voter, and nothing about this movie bothered me.

>characters personality traits and actions are considered cliche
B-but thats what Huge Jackedmans Wolf since 2001 ffs

God your such a numale op

DURRR FUCKING WHITE MALEEEEE

This movie is a piece of shit, you're just a frustrated redditor and can't see it.

Actually I am sorry to break it to you but Logan isn't such a good movie... I liked it first time but then I realized it is pretty bland.

The Wolverine is way better

>Being unoriginal in art isn't bad.

>5 out of 6 points are just angry that the movie wasn't conservative
Brilliant review, fuckass

>5 out of 6 points are just angry that the movie wasn't conservative
dude I am someone who loves the new American Horror Story season and like to see Trump referenced in tv shows and movies, but you have to admit Logan was very weak near the end and it triggered me how the director cut out that African kid talking to Logan while holding his toy when he awoke one night and he really should have left the Wolverine toy on Logan's grave.

WHAT A MISSED OPPORTUNITY

Not to mention there being no flashback at all was pathetic... so they brought back the whole cast for Future Past but we can never again see them together... what a shame.

As far as Wolverine movies go, Days of Future Past is as good as it has been, and it's not even really about him.

The whole film attempted to be deconstructive but ended up being more cartoonish than the MCU. We get it. You hate Trump. Now make a good story you cunts instead of shoving your virtue signalling in our faces over and over again.

It was made before like 8 months before Trump was elected though. Also it shits on any MCU movie. What the fuck are you talking about?

Because we saw it many times before, wich is by definition is cliche.

>#1 cliché: hero drinks and doesn't want to help anymore
Heroes refusal of call to action; the monomyth

>#2 cliché: hero beats up some southern racists
>#3 cliché: racists show up in bigger numbers, and get beat up some more
They were never implied to be racists

>#4 cliché: cute girl ends up being biggest badass in the whole universe (i.e. Dark Angel, Serenity, Let the Right One In, Fire starter..... come on, kids! Fill in the blank!)
Nigga I guess. Wolverine's daughter and all.

>#5 cliché: they reach a sanctuary populated by kids of every PC color in the rainbow
Bred from mexican girls, going to be atleast 50% brown

>#6 cliché: hero dies so feminist-power poster girl gets to lead the multi-ethnic band of future X-Men/women/transgender-what-the-hells.
Whole point of the movie was a Wolverine sendoff

2nd point - they were anti-mutant which in this world implies racism. Didn't read the rest because you're a stupid cunt. Carry on.

>they were anti-mutant
That isn't true either.

>anti-mutant
I remember they wanted to hire Logan.
Anyway, stick your head in the sand or continue baiting.

>Whether Trump had become president or not and attempted to ban immigrants from seven predominantly Muslim countries, his shadow clearly fell across the screenwriting process of Logan. He entered the presidential race by suggesting that many Mexican immigrants were rapists in 2015, and ended that same year by encouraging a complete (and unconstitutional) Muslim ban.

>When I spoke with Mangold in February about this very issue, he was aware that the stirring of dark forces in American culture had splashed over into Logan.

>“We’re just trying to reflect our world,” Mangold told me. “This movie, we finished writing the last full script was just about a year ago... and the politics of both what was happening in Europe and in USA were all around us while making the movie.”

denofgeek.com/us/movies/logan/262194/logan-a-perfect-x-men-movie-for-the-age-of-donald-trump

There is no denying the film basically serves as a political propaganda. Why do you think critics immediately jumped on its cock?

X-MEN:FC and The Wolverine are the only two good movies from the whole franchise. Everything else is subpar.

I find it interesting that their pursuers would show up by the dozens and blow/shoot/hack up anyone in their path, but were stopped by..... the Canadian border?!

>movie introduces metafictional aspects with the in-series X-Men comics for no reason other than "oh shit the secret base was real all along what a tweest"
>interesting human villains are trivialized by their creation of a Wolverine clone
>Prof. X's sendoff from the series is being killed by said clone, basically a bigger fuckyou than his apparent death in The Last Stand
>all mutants except Wolvie, X, and fucking Caliban have died out, which is fine in itself, but it's shitty that X just had an aneurysm that took out all the proper X-Men at once
The idea that he accidentally killed Scott and friends is fine enough for drama, but really every X-Man was in the same place when Charles's mind shit itself? This shit's even worse than Deadpool's joke that the only X-Men present are Colossus and the girl because the film can't afford bigger actors, or that Ant-Man ran into Falcon because Cap and Iron Man were doing more important shit. But the thing is both Deadpool and Ant-Man use those as jokes, not for dramatic effect.

The film is alright, 7/10, but it's just good capeshit because it tries more to be a big-boy movie than it tries to mirror the MCU formula or anything. Same as Batman Begins, it's fun but it's not really cinematic art (unlike TDK which is well-made as a crime thriller but sucks as capeshit). Someone can rightfully claim Logan is a good film if that person also enjoyed Age of Ultron and thus is ignorant of what makes for a good film.

> he actually things capeshit can be good
> EVER

literally lmao

Yeah, what was up with this? Maybe I need to rewatch it, but I can't really remember why the enemies would have issues invading Canada if they were operating illegally in Mexico anyway. If Laura escaped the Mexican hospital and got into the U.S., and the robot-hand guy pursued her into the U.S., why can he not walk into Canada? Especially when the children aren't going through an official entrypoint into Canada, and are just crossing over through the woods.

They weren't stopped at the border though. They would have followed them over if they hadn't all gotten killed.

>Sup Forums hates logan now
wat

cliche definition response of cliche cliche comment reply

They didn't care about the border. They just didn't know where in Canada the mutant sanctuary was.

Canada isn't a complete shithole and has a functioning army and police force, it would be a lot more difficult to operate there.

Is he a virgin? I mean, he drilled your ass pretty good.

>resorting to simply spouting 'cliche' to criticize
How dies it feel being a 16 year old cinema sins fan? Fucking miserable faggot cliche.

You must lead a very sad life if you can only see a movie through the goggles of ideology.

>Canada isn't a complete shithole and has a functioning army and police force

I've lived in Canada my whole life and you couldn't be more wrong. We have a small and pitiful army. Our police are fat,complacent and more concerned with meeting quotas than stopping actual crimes.

I'm a 26-year-old virgin and I loved Logan

More like /film/ hates Logan. I loved it when I saw it in theaters, but that's mostly because it moved me emotionally, which isn't really significant. I haven't seen it since March 7 or whatever was the date it came out, but I've thought about it a lot since and I just can't seem to think it's really as good as people claim. Better than most capeshit, sure, but it's not a good film JUST BECAUSE it's better than most capeshit.

>projecting this hard

>movie introduces metafictional aspects with the in-series X-Men comics for no reason other than "oh shit the secret base was real all along what a tweest"

It was done because the movie tried for a more "realistic" feel than the comics, which were much more cartoony. It's also done for juxtaposition, in the comics Wolverine is more of a standard hero while in Logan he's bitter and jaded. The rest of the movie is about him becoming more like the idealized hero in the comics instead of the cynical, "realistic" Wolverine. It's not just for a "twist" where the place is real, it's to suggest that idealism can continue exist even in a world where it's disappearing.

>interesting human villains are trivialized by their creation of a Wolverine clone

While the Wolverine clone was a bit cheesy, it made sense and had a purpose. He was an external representation of Logan's inner conflict. He was basically what Logan would become if he didn't change and continued down the same path.

>Prof. X's sendoff from the series is being killed by said clone, basically a bigger fuckyou than his apparent death in The Last Stand

It was supposed to be a brutal death. The fact that it was a brief and violent murder instead of a melodramatic sendoff makes it more serious and shocking, like someone we know in real life getting murdered.

>all mutants except Wolvie, X, and fucking Caliban have died out, which is fine in itself, but it's shitty that X just had an aneurysm that took out all the proper X-Men at once

Because the focus is on Logan, having a bunch of mutants would make it redundant. The fact that there are barely any X-men left suggests that Logan is set during a time when heroes are literally dying off, which is fitting because Wolverine's conflict throughout the movie is learning to become a hero again. He then sets an example for the future generation of heroes. In this case the setting is informing us about the character and his resolution.

>a movie moving you emotionally isn't good

Sup Forums, everyone

Yeah, It's overrated as shit. Some people said it's the best superhero movie ever! fuck no, it's not even the best superhero movie in 2017.

I wish Hulk and his retarded incest family was in it.

I choked up when Sansa Stark was about to access her Phoenix powers in Apocalypse, and when Godzilla vomits down the MUTO's throat, and when Gypsy Danger pulls out its sword, and when WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon DNA Digivolve in the dub of Digimon: The Movie, so an emotional reaction for me isn't a true sign of artistic greatness, even if I enjoy those movies. I almost cried when the nu-Power Rangers realized they were friends after Billy's "death."

best character, literally made the movie for me

To me the Wolverine clone was just a more straight-faced attempt at creating a generic enemy similar to the one in Origins. I don't like the clone, but I can accept its presence in the film because the whole X-23 plotline is about cloning Wolverine. It does make sense that they would perfect their Wolverine clone after deeming Laura a failure, but it still feels like a lazy choice of antagonist. It's one of those things that's probably passable in a comic book but just seems bizarre in an actual film.

And I can understand the brutality of Prof. X's death, but it really seems like a middle finger to the kids who grew up on the X-Men films and are of and age to appreciate Logan 16 years later. Or otherwise it feels like Stewart giving the finger to the character that people most know him from this century, as if he were to star in a J.J. Abrams Star Trek film that would kill of Picard in a brutal manner. Wolverine's death is both brutal and properly dramatic, unlike Xavier's, which is just plain brutal and doesn't receive an adequate emotional impact until the funeral some 15 minutes later. Even Caliban's death was better handled, with his grenade sacrifice.

I can agree on the point of Logan being about Wolverine and thus featuring fewer X-Men, as it worked well enough in The Wolverine, but it just strikes me as odd that we don't see any cameos of lesser mutants throughout the film. I get that the premise concerns a subtle genocide of mutants, and that Wolverine, Xavier, and Caliban only exist because they are hiding, but it seems "unrealistic" (an odd choice of word for a comic movie) to have literally zero other mutants other than the ones manufactured by the villains.

I don't dislike the movie at all, mind you. I just think it's highly overrated. Same with TDK, they're both good capeshits, but that's where the line ends. They aren't that good as real films. It makes sense that Mangold previously directed Girl, Interrupted and the 3:10 to Yuma remake.

Also, the girl was a Mary Sue. That's why I didn't like the girl in SW: TFA. She could out fly Solo, out-repair Chewbacca, out Force Skywalker and outsaber a Sith Lord.
Seriously?

>#1 cliche
doesn't happen
>#2 cliche
what? they were mexicans
>#3 cliche
again they were mexicans
>#4 cliche
who cares
>#5 cliche
did you even listen to the story? they're all immigrant children. Of course they're not gonna be white
>#6 cliche
kek

The only thing Laura had was her fighting skills, and cuteness, she isn't a mary sue.

#7 OP sucks dick

>it moved me emotionally

A hamfisted capeshit flick did this to you? Were you sexually abused as a child?

I know it's hard to believe, but some people still have empathy left. Must be hard being dead inside.

Who's the best actress ever and why is it Dafne Keen?

Either you're a teenager and/or you've only seen a dozen films in your whole life.

>Had they went with his son instead you be ass blasted over WM/AF

she's a qt.

>cute girl ends up being biggest badass in the whole universe (i.e. Dark Angel, Serenity, Let the Right One In
>cute girl
>Let the Right One In
>Eli
>girl

The actress is a girl.

So? The movie is about two boys.

Same here. He was so handsome and charming. He deserved so much better than what he got. Fucking kids.

I seem to recall that right in the beginning of the movie Logan murders a bunch of Mexican gang bangers doesn't that go against that?

Is this like tumblr where you're only allowed to shame certain kinds of people? Wild times we live in.

I'll concede that point, but come on, man. Every hero movie I've seen lately has the "almost rape" or "almost lynch the brown guy" followed by the hero stepping out of the shadows saying, "I said: leave her alone!"

If I wanted to watch obvious things I'd watch you kill your self

>#1 cliché: hero drinks and doesn't want to help anymore
I concede that point
>#2 cliché: hero beats up some southern racists
How the fuck were they racist?
Sure, the villain is southern but that dozen't mean anything and the first team that got slaughtered by the loli was Mexican police if I remember correctly
>#3 cliché: racists show up in bigger numbers, and get beat up some more
I don't remember this being a cliche, also again how are they racist?
>#4 cliché: cute girl ends up being biggest badass in the whole universe (i.e. Dark Angel, Serenity, Let the Right One In, Fire starter..... come on, kids! Fill in the blank!)
Well, that cute girl is a genetically engineered clone of one of the deadliest mutants in the world
So? The kids were born from Mexicans, how do you expect them to be all white?
>#6 cliché: hero dies so feminist-power poster girl gets to lead the multi-ethnic band of future X-Men/women/transgender-what-the-hells.
How's is it feminist? Where are the transgenders?
And Logan was dying from adamantium poisoning anyway

I cried when I finished Frozen, it was still shit.

Neither.

>#0 cliché: hero is a cisgendered hetero-normative white male
what did op mean by this?

Dont watch a film about xmen if you dont want anti racist propaganda you fuck.
that's the whole point of the mutants

>I loved it when I saw it in theaters, but that's mostly because it moved me emotionally, which isn't really significant
What

It was mostly nostalgia, having seen the X-Men animated series as a child, and growing up with the X-Men film series.

Shouldn't you faggots like this movie cause he murders a bunch of Mexicans at the start

I went into the movie knowing I will be moved by the death of Professor X, and trailers and TV commercials showed Laura holding Wolverine's hand innawoods, so I assumed that was the scene where they buried Xavier. It wasn't significant that the movie made me choke up when I actually watched it because I knew it was going to happen months in advance. It was the catharsis of having seen Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman to the end of their careers in capeshit. I'm afraid to rewatch the movie because I fear it might not move me so much a second time, and that it would make the film feel cheaper as a result. So instead I've built a psychic defense by deciding the film was manipulative garbage, so I don't have to worry about whether or not I'll be moved on a second or third viewing.

But mostly I was baiting a responder such as yourself, so that I might tell you I almost cry when I rewatch Digimon: The Movie, when Tai and Matt are about to dive into their computers. Would I call Digimon: The Movie a great film? No, it's shit. They cobbled together three separate Japanese films and threw together this bogus plot about Willis somehow being the mastermind while also being a good boy who dindu nuffin. Our War Game is a great anime film, but it doesn't affect me so much, because I have nostalgic attachment to the English dub version.

That's maybe a weird example, but the point is I don't personally trust my own emotional reactions to movies. I'm sorry you can't be as jaded and autistic as I am, user

It was good until the 3rd act, namely right around when the gang decided to hang out with the dindus.

Literally every superhero movie (hell, most action movies, and most -movies- in general) rely on unoriginal ideas to tell their story. Just because a movie contains some clichés doesn't mean that the movie itself is completely unoriginal.

I mean, you can say this about literally anything.
>communicating through speech instead of song or poem? What a cliché!
>there's three acts in this thing? cliché!
>there's a plot twist at the end? cliché!
>geez, a car chase? cliché!
>the villain has a tragic backstory? cliché!

Film as a medium is unoriginal because pretty much all hollywood movies follow the same three-act formula, similar tools for storytelling and exposition, etc.

Anyways, the biggest cliché is that some Sup Forumstard got angry because seeing strong women in movies upsets him, which makes him just as bad as tumblrtards who need to see equal numbers of males, females, blacks, whites etc. Go watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure if you want to see a universe populated solely by strong white men.

I didn't even watch Logan, I just wanted to point that out.

And why was it bad afterwards?

Great film, really is a modern Western

>black family farming in Idaho or wherever the fuck

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA SHEEEEEEEIT

>The Wolverine is way better

I'm fine with it. But people being retarded and ignoring points about Le epic hicks of the south being racist trope is fucking dumb. And fuck off kid. I enjoyed the movie but I never disregard obvious leftism - I also don't talk about it like Sup Forums or care. Kiss my taint.

>he put paint on a canvas, how cliche
>he sculpted the statue from marble, how cliche
>he wrote his book in english, how cliche

This is the argument you're making

This broke the immersion for me. I have met hundreds of farmers in my lifetime, never seen a black one.

But all the kids were beaners born from beaner mothers, who cares if they're beaners.

Its not like they were said to be "real Americans representative of America!"

>I've lived in Canada my whole life
You mean since your shitskin family immigrated here when you were a young boy, Pajeet