Literal translations of country names

Attached: 01_Literal-Translation-Of-Country-Names_WorldMa.original.jpg (2400x1600, 650K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nfKr-D5VDBU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan#Etymology
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 02_Literal-Translation-Of-Country-Names_Europe..original.jpg (2400x1600, 490K)

>country of the blacks
hue

Attached: 03_Literal-Translation-Of-Country-Names_Africa..original.jpg (2400x1600, 490K)

Attached: 04_Literal-Translation-Of-Country-Names_Asia.or.original.jpg (2400x1600, 473K)

Attached: 05_Literal-Translation-Of-Country-Names_NorthAm.original.jpg (2400x1600, 444K)

>land of the Franks
>land of the Angles
why not translating Franks and Angles ?

>that Frank comes from the Germanic word for "javelin" (such as in Old English franca or Old Norse frakka).[10] Words in other Germanic languages meaning "fierce", "bold" or "insolent" (German frech, Middle Dutch vrac, Old English frǣc and Old Norwegian frakkr), may also be significant.[11]

Mexico and Brazil's names are fucking radical

Attached: 06_Literal-Translation-Of-Country-Names_SouthAm.original.jpg (2400x1600, 396K)

rofl

Attached: 1522126904951.jpg (2400x1600, 702K)

Attached: 07_Literal-Translation-Of-Country-Names_Oceania.original.jpg (2400x1600, 412K)

Because being named ”land of “ it’s just unimaginative

Amazing luck it didn't mean "the latrine" or "my uncle fucks buffalo"

youtube.com/watch?v=nfKr-D5VDBU

To be fair, people are more likely to give new land a cool name than homeland

>little Venice
>larger than the real Venice

>Land of the Thunder Dragon
hands down every time

Pakistan is an acronym, how the hell they came up with "land of the pure"

>Land of the Pure

Attached: photo_3.jpg (580x435, 85K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pakistan#Etymology

The name Pakistan literally means "land of the pure" in Urdu and Persian. It alludes to the word pāk meaning pure in Persian and Pashto.[47] The suffix ـستان (-stān) is a Persian word meaning the place of, and also recalls the synonymous (and cognate) Sanskrit word sthāna स्थान.[48]

The name of the country was coined in 1933 as Pakstan by Choudhry Rahmat Ali, a Pakistan Movement activist, who published it in his pamphlet Now or Never,[49] using it as an acronym ("thirty million Muslim brethren who live in PAKSTAN") referring to the names of the five northern regions of the British Raj: Punjab, Afghania, Kashmir, Sindh, and Baluchistan.[50][51][52] The letter i was incorporated to ease pronunciation.[53]

This. By this logic, Malaysia should be "The Country of Malaya People"

>means pure
>get mad if they are called Pakis
What did Pakis mean by this?

Attached: 1488184315747.png (230x310, 72K)

woah
deep thoughts by finland

>Land of the high and beautiful

Interesting since "korea" in finnish is an old word for beautiful and/or classy

Really makes me think

Attached: brock lesnar miettii.jpg (612x574, 35K)

I thought Finland was supposed to be "the land of swamp" though.

That's more probable but officially there's no conclusion on the etymytology of the name.

not all pakistanis are ethnically paki

derives from bin cause you're fucking trash more like helstinky

Attached: 1401608405706.jpg (466x517, 82K)

Attached: images.png (249x202, 5K)

>Frizzy Haired Men
yup

Attached: vsk0i.jpg (1024x684, 268K)

bit rude wtf

This is wrong.Nippon means land of the rising sun but Japan comes from Japão (we introduced the name of japan,china and many other asian countries to europe),and Japão means Nowbread(ja/now + pão/bread).
China is Zhongguo in chinese which means Middle kingdom but China comes from Quina which means"group of five".Which comes from the 5 different kingdoms that ecisted in china when the portuguese arrived.Portugal national team is called "seleção das quinas" which means "team of fives" which have to do with the fuce blue shields in our symbol with five dots of christ

>iceland
>ice land
NO WAY

It's based on the native language it seems.

>Ice Land
>(Iceland)
It's called Ice Island in Chinese which is pretty damn close to Iceland 冰岛

How do countries with only 2 or 3 syllables have meanings that long?

Wait I thought you got it from the Southern Chinese reading of 日本 (Ji-pan or something). Because here we still keep using the modified Southern Chinese reading (Jepang).

But Greenland doesn't mean green land

Attached: 1444406324863.jpg (639x716, 86K)

>Port-ugal

Attached: 114.jpg (412x350, 47K)

Land of Crown Prince of Asturias

Fucking Name giving idiot Spainiard.

Attached: 4F623DC7-38C7-4142-B84E-31B47843F292.jpg (901x883, 97K)

In Cantonese Japan is pronounced Jat Bun
I think at one point Japanese was closer to Southern Chinese languages than it was now so maybe the Portuguese got it from the Japanese, then the Japanese had some pronunciation changes over the years and now they pronounce it Nihon/Nippon

I always assumed the first part of the name was from the greek for love, maybe the last part meant islands or something.

No. Magellan gave the name because of his inbreed king.
We’re supposed to have another name but we got stuck with his stupid fucking name.

>uzbekistan
>land of the free

or maybe Portuguese got it from Malaca Sultanate (Malaysia), because Jepang/Jipang was how Malay Archipelago kingdoms called Japan back then before pre-colonialism era.

Port of Cale/Cailleach(celtic godess).
Her name is also Beira.Which is the name of one our regions.

Attached: Mapa_das_7_Regiões_(inicial).png (249x366, 20K)

It wasn't Magellan who named you.Maybe if he did you would be called Joãonines

Beira is also a large city in Mozambique, that used to be a vacation spot.

England should be "Land of the Fishermen"

Land

Oh, then I stand corrected.

Attached: 42342250-CF25-4664-95E9-78BE7F866544.png (640x1136, 131K)

Land

In many alternate timelines Canada is "Borealia" (a la Australia)

Attached: mvugzCW.jpg.png (1600x900, 51K)

>algeria is named the islands