Could you adapt it?

Could you adapt it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N8bWwBxLxSs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dragon Ball? Definitely, martial arts and adventure are well worn territory for film, it would only take a competent director who can adapt them without ignoring the more cartoony elements and tone of DB.
Z and after would be pretty much impossible to film, since CGI flight and ki blasts would make for horrendous action sequences

No, dont try again

Depends on what arc

>Plague of gripes spent half a fucking hour whining about how Tien wasn't the toughest coolest guy on the team

after what we know is possible with avatar or michael bay if he gave a shit, a condensed frieza trilogy could absolutely work

Android/Cell sagas were better

They could do it like Pirates II and III where they shot them at the same time for consistency and then just released one per year.

If a good director/writer team was on board, the studio didn't meddle too much, and they had legit choreographed fight scenes I think it could happen.

>Sup Forums on Sup Forums

make it a light hearted comdy/action movie about kid goku, preteen bulma, and kid krillian.

they're looking for the last dragon ball, and find it as the prize in a martial arts tournament.

goku and krillin have mostly comedic fights against joke opponents. then there are 2 legit antagonists. one is a martial arts champion. he doesn't know what the dargon ball really is. feels insulted to have be in a tournament full of clowns and children at first. then he starts respecting goku and krillin. then there is the nameless namekian. the mysterious green man that quickly and brutally defeats his opponents. he knows what the dragon balls are.

Well, he was more whining at how retarded they made him in all of super by not using or mentioning his vast array of techniques. Meanwhile everyone else DID get a Toriyama wankjob.

DragonBall could definitely work. I don't know if I would start off directly with the freeza saga. Saiyan arc is pushing it.

Yeah, that's not all that hard. You just have to know what inspired Akira, and you'll be able to match the intended tone.

do you think they would allow this scene in?

Dragonball is so entrenched in usa culture that they wouldn't even have to do much back story for any of this. It would be a film to cash in on the fans that have come back for super and the other animated films that have come out recently and for any new fans who started with super/are rediscovering their love for dragonball. You just have to tell the story concisely so it fits into one and maybe two films.

Is Android 18 white

Is there such a thing as a manga that's completely and utterly unadaptable?

you're a big bone.

Make a trilogy.

>Dragon Ball
Adapts the Demon King Piccolo saga while throwing in concepts and parts of other DB sagas. Specifically make the Red Ribbon Army a 3rd faction chasing the dragonballs alongside Piccolo and Goku. Make Pilaf the joke villain as he is in the original anime saga. Also include the basics that Dragonball establishes. Bulma and Goku meeting, training with the Turtle Hermit, and one of the Budukais. All set to the backdrop of the Piccolo Saga.
Age Goku up quite a bit. Maybe make him ~14-16 and Bulma a few years older.

>Dragon Ball Z
Adapt mainly the Saiyan Saga. Stay a bit more true to the anime with the plot.

>Dragon Ball: The Frieza Saga
Adapts, obviously, the Frieza Saga and the Namek saga. Again, keep this one pretty close to the anime and straight forward with the story telling. Maybe tease a Cell Saga movie after the credits, but never follow up on it. The trilogy would be much more satisfying ending here.

The main goal of the movies should be to replicate the Dragonball feeling as closely as possible. Get the Henson Creature Shop to do all non-ki effects. Think a more colorful Dark Crystal for reference.

>Could you adapt it?

Sure. I thought Capeshit or Game of thrones was retarded but Ive seen enough decent ones.

In particular a TV series about the whole Krillen and Gohan on Namek and avoiding getting their shit kicked in and hiding could easily be done with a tone like a Star Wars movie and affects like a Capeshit movie.

Berserk because they either cut things or don't get the right people to do it.

>97 anime is almost perfect apart from using colorized still frames of the manga in place of animation
>doesn't have Wylad
>no Skull Knight
>that cliff hanger which is actually great imo
>CGI movies have janky animation but were getting better as they made it
>2016 Berserk doesn't have Lost Children
>2016 is god awful cg that even Reboot and Beast Wars looks better

97 is one of my favorite animes so I'm biased.

To be fair, it is odd that a character who was consciously included this big story arc was given so little attention compared to everyone else
If they were only going to give Tien the smallest of character developments and bare bones fights, why didn't they just give his spot to an actual joke character like Yamcha

>gohan played by idris Elba and trunks played by jaden smith.
NO
NONONONOONONONONOOONONONOONOONOOOBONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT!

>Blond hair
>Blue eyes
>Alabaster skin
What do you think

Treat it like Harry Potter...

Movie 1:
>Bulma finds Goku
>Hunt Begins
>Find Oolong, Yamcha, Puar, Roshi, Tien, Baba.
>Each fight better than the last.
>Crane Hermit is also hunting the dragon balls. (for RRA)
>Tien is final fight, Goku loses.
>Tien barely wins, invites Goku to Boudokai

Movie 2: Boudokai
>Everyone is back
>Krillin and Goku Meet and Train with Roshi
>Red Ribbon awakens Piccolo while they hunt for Dragonballs
>Piccolo interrupts final Boudokai Battle
>Goku/Jackie Chun defeat Piccolo who all team up to defeat RRA.
>Gero vows revenge on Piccolo/Goku

Movie 3:
>Saiyan Saga
>Basically Man Of Steel

Movie 4:
>Freeza Saga
>Ginyu Squad is already on Namek with Freeza
>Vegeta destroys Namek to kill Freeza.
>Kills Goku in the process.
>Everyone's pissed at Vegeta.
>The greater good
>Team resurrects Namek, turns out Goku's not dead.
>Ends With Future Trunks Tease

Movie 5:
>Future Trunks/Androids
>Opens with Future Trunks timeline, Gohan dies.
>Gero's Revenge
>Goku is not incapacitated, but defeated by Androids
>Team is completely overwhelmed by Androids
>Ends with Cell absorbing androids.
>"You have 5 days"

Movie 6:
>Cell
>No Cell Jr, just good old fashioned rocky 4.
>Goku dies for reals during final assault.

Movie 7:
>Cash grab Buu saga.
>This begins the next "Phase"

All shot in motion capture.

>All shot in motion capture.

Did you try to make a long post just to completely shit on it at the end?

You put a lot of thought into something no one will read.

Yes. Only way for it to work though.
I also need 200mil per movie, but it's guaranteed at least 45mil box office.

10/10 will never happen

Not Bay or Cameron - whoever does Guardians of the Galaxy. Blue people and Green people, comic relief and whatnot.

absolutely

you'd have to completely disregard saiyan hair genetics tho, every character other than goku has realistic asian hair
and if you had complete license for violence and adult humor particular to dragonball, absolutely yes.

this but as a 17 episode netflix series.

What about now

Casting Goku will always be the hardest part, along with makeup/costumes

But otherwise it's very doable. My dream adaptation would go like this
>trilogy of films

>first film directed by Spielberg
>humerous adventure film, similar tone to marvel capeshit (probably more light-hearted actually), but a genuine fantastical adventure as kid Goku meets Bulma and they go on a worldwide hunt for the dragonballs in a race against the red ribbon army. Film ends with Goku accidentally meeting and killing King Piccolo

>second film directed by Ang Lee
>early adult Goku enters the world martial arts tournament as, after he was born, Piccolo very quickly gathered 6 of the dragonballs and the last one is the prize for the martial arts tournament. It would be a martial arts film at its core, like a pg-13 version of the Raid. But tonally it would still be very surreal and have lots of light-hearted moments

>third film directed by Gareth Evans
>literally a pg-13 version of the Raid but with kai, aliens and explosions. Goku and Piccolo must team up to stop the Saiyan invasion of earth.

>trilogy acts as a metaphor for growing up. In the first film the world is bright and fun with talking animals and yellow clouds. In the last film, there's not much dialogue and a lot of fighting and destruction and grey skies

3 movies for Dragon Ball

1st goes mostly follows the first arc, cut fluff episodes and make Pilaf somehow responsible for fires under Ox's castle. End with climatic wish on dragon and Goku saying he's going to train with Roshi.

Mix the two arc and the first tournament arc for 2nd movie. Start 2nd movie with Goku looking for Roshi but instead he runs into Tso who is doing kidnapping Chi-Chi to coerce the Ox King and Goku stops him but accidentally kills him in the process. He finds Roshi and trains for the tournament which is mix of the first 2 tourneys but ends similarly to the second with Tien defeating Goku but first renouncing his master. It ends with them eating together in a group laughing.

Movie starts with Krillan's death and plays out as a quickened version of the King Piccolo Arc. Instead of Tambourine killing Krillan, Piccolo kills Krillan, Roshi and Chiaotzu right off the bat while looking to grab Goku's Dragon Ball. Goku discovers the discovers his dead friends and the missing Dragon Ball and runs after Piccolo, fights him and loses but is saved last second by Yajarobe. Piccolo looks to find the rest of the balls while Tien and the gang try go to Roshi's to find out who Piccolo is and how to defeating him.
I

you have to realize that the humor is different. would you show a kid goku genitals along with a 14 year old goku grabbing bulmas breast confusing them by dragon balls. Now for 3rd world countries this i no problem but for USA politically correct you cant even show a nipple.

Yajarobe takes Goku to his master Corrin to heal then train then take the holy water. Bulma researches who Piccolo is and finds a scroll with the evil containment wave which Tien steals. Piccolo takes over the country, and them fights Tien and the Goku who triumph. Either end series here or tease the birth of Piccolo Jr.

Have it be a sequel to Evolution which tells the events of the first season of Z

autism

I came up with most of a 6-film series for Dragon Ball alone, partly for the simplicity of adapting the series with its arcs being so clear-cut and fast-paced that they can easily fit into 2-hour films. The problem is America doesn't give a shit about Dragon Ball, and Evolution ruined it for any casuals who were aware there's something before Z, so it would take forever to get into a Z series.

>Dragon Ball Part I
Don't really know how I'd do this one exactly, since we'd have to introduce Goku, Bulma, Oolong, Yamcha, and Pilaf's crew. I guess we'd set the film up with the aftermath of Burdock and Gine sending Goku to Earth, with a silhouette of the Great Ape killing Gohan during opening credits, then move onto Goku meeting Bulma, following the manga as closely as possible (without showing Goku's cock). Then somehow burn through the Oolong mini-arc, possibly skipping his transformation powers because they don't exist past Pu'ar's appearance anyway. The second act would be mostly Yamcha shit while also trying to wedge Pilaf into it, and the big battle would be against Pilaf with Goku transforming into the Great Ape. Chichi would be here somewhere. I guess have a montage of Dragon Ball collection, so we can get based Monster Carrot in there too.

>Dragon Ball Part II
Roshi. Krillin. Lunch. Tournament. Jackie Chun. The films would be violent enough that they'll be PG-13 regardless (which is basically a children's rating now, what with all the capeshit), so we can get away with Ranfan stripping and Bulma flashing Roshi (if we obscure enough of her ass that audiences can tell she's nopan.

>Dragon Ball Part III
Red Ribbon arc. Use a shitty montage for Goku's progress through the tower, throw Taopaipai into a chunk of the second act, and have the third just be Goku cleaning up at the main base.

>Dragon Ball Part IV
Another tournament, this time with Tien, with focus on the Crane school versus the Turtle school.

>Dragon Ball Part V
King Piccolo.

into a netflix superhero marvel show easily

>Dragon Ball Part VI
Piccolo Jr., but he doesn't go giant so we don't have to deal with the fact that he can't transform to fight Raditz later. Have a faggot post-credits scene of Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta in space while the Son family is enjoying peace away from Piccolo's evil.

>Dragon Ball Z Part I
Saiyan arc in its entirety. Probably skip Saiyamen and just have Nappa fuck everyone up. Cut between Goku training with King Kai while the others fight Nappa, I guess.

>Dragon Ball Z Part II
Namek saga, maybe skipping Zarbon and Dodoria, but definitely including the Ginyu Force.

>Dragon Ball Z Part III
Frieza arc with the "5 minutes" only barely stretched past an actual 5 minutes. Have a fake ending with main cast credits before going into a condensed Trunks arc.

Then a trilogy for Androids 19/20, Androids 16/17/18 and Cell, and for Cell Games. And another featuring World Tournament + Dabura and co., Super Buu and his absorptions (ending with Potara tease), and a finale with Vegito's fight and Kid Buu.

Anyone is free to condense these further into less than 15 films, but I think it would be too messy to cut out too much of the whole series, unless the plan is to make as few films as possible. A single film versus Freeza would be good, but it would make little sense without Vegeta being set up, or Raditz before him, or Piccolo Jr. before him. I don't think King Piccolo is really necessary for DBZ, though. Hell, a DBZ movie could be made coming off of Evolution

>thread about if dragonball could be adapted
>write outline of my perfect adaptation
>"omg how autistic"
what did he mean by this?

4U
Garouden would be easier to adapt and the fight against Tsutsumi would be pure kino.

Make it happen

>6 whole movies just to reach Z

Waaaay over the top. That just overkill at that point.

Realistically you don't need more than one DB film before going into Z territory. People aren't here for an entire movie about Tien. They want ki blasts and super Saiyans.

Do what this guy said

How would they do goku's hair?

Looks fucking ridiculous

I wouldn't let this faggot play Mr Popo

He would make a great King Piccolo.

They carry themselves the exact same way. I actually hate Dwane Johnson as an actor, but imagining his booming voice representing King Piccolo is just too spot on.
Probably recast piccolo jr though. Jr is much more collected and carries himself a completely different way

Only looks rediculous because that guy is ugly as fuck. That hair could definitely work on the right face. Especially if there was an entire studio worth of effort put into it.

No it's because no human has hair that naturally grows in that shape. Goku's hair wasn't kept up by gel.

You don't really think that a hair style has to BE natural to LOOK natural, do you?

I'm not a hairstylist but I don't know how you could comb hair into that shape and still make it look natural.

>Take the fights from Reloaded/Revolutions + Man of Steel.
>Tone of GOTG (live action DBZ would be campy as fuck, so embrace it)

This

>HBO
Trunks would be lusting for Chadhan's dick in every scene.

>preteen bulma
what's wrong with you

This

Young Bulma is pure sex.

i don't think dragonball would work as films. getting the tone, cast, universe etc. right and concise would be near impossible.

dragon ball z however, could easily be made into live action films imo

2h40m each, trilogy; one frieza film, one cell film, one buu film.
you would need great screenwriters, who could condense certain characters into each other, and speed up the plot. you would also need to take certain elements out of the story, such as the red ribbon saga, and the excessive early goku/vegeta fights.
i would also have piccolo start as a good guy desu.

Saiyaman/World Tournament sagas were best.

But that's prime bulma right there. She wasn't even a preteen in the show.

>Getting the tone and cast right would be near impossible

Everyone keeps saying this but already fixed this problem last night.

Jim Henson Creature Shop portraying all the monsters, dinosaurs, costumes, etc would look AMAZING and hit the tone just right.

CG would never be the way to go for Dragonball, but I see spectacular puppetry working perfectly for the franchise

No, they didn't. This doesn't address casting at all.

Oh yeah true. Fixes the tone problem though. Casting would still be tricky.

The only one I can imediately agree with is Dwane Johnson as the Demon King. Everyone else gets a bit tricky.

I have seen someone in the past suggest the new Spiderman kid as Chiaotzu, which I can ALMOST see. Maybe he could actually make a good DB-era goku

Who would be playing Yamcha, aka the biggest loser in the DB universe?

lol Yamcha cucked the shit out of Vegeta and then went on to be a pro baseball player

Zac Efron

He'd make a better Tien or even Goku

>cucked the shit out of Vegeta
In which universe? I mean he got killed by Vegeta and then Vegeta stole his gf.

Jonah Hill as Yajirobe

Gary Oldman as Master Roshi

Yeah, I'd just do what Del Taco did with Hellboy.
>be respectful to the source material, but throw out the shit that wouldn't work
>use mainly practical effects & costumes where possible
>only hire actors that would actually fit the characters
I'd also do a shit saga, like Emperor Pilaf. Probably a safer bet than doing a fan favourite.

>angry manlet always ranks #1 in female popularity pools
What did they mean by this

im imagining Gerard Butler as Vegeta, huge spiky hair, asshole grin and all and im laughing my ass off

Show me 1 (ONE) good example of a movie with CG convincing and good enough for the style of fighting needed for DB

The answer for ki blasts is and always has been Man of Steel

Any other effects should be practical.

Speed Racer

Tell me something like this could be adapted
youtube.com/watch?v=N8bWwBxLxSs

It's impossible to make a super saiyan or even a fucking kamehameha without it looking like a youtube college clip

Why would a Kamehameha look any worse than a generic Hollywood laser?

Probably. You have 6 arcs in the original Dragon Ball. They follow a pattern of adventure -> tournament. The simplest way to tackle this is to have two arcs each season. The hardest part to find a place for is Red Ribbon. Which is strange since it's treated like Dragon Ball's Holy Grail.

You could try to merge it with the first arc, but Goku might be going on too much of an adventure too soon, and following it up with the lowest stakes tournament of the three doesn't sound like a good idea. Try putting at the start of season 2? Maybe. The transition to from Red Ribbon to the 22nd TB just doesn't flow though. The stinger at the end with Krillin dead would be great though as a season finale. That being said, I still think opening the season with the early episodes focused on Tenshinhan as the antagonist only to completely flip the switch and go into the Goku-Tien team up in Piccolo Daimao would work better. Having the tournament at the end of each season diminishes the value of it when the stakes are so high the third time.

It's just that, if I were to dedicate a whole season to one arc, I wouldn't pick Red Ribbon unless we made it the very first season. I would pick the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. Everything coming to a head with season-long build up and one of the most draining fights in the series. I'm racking my brain with how to find a place for it.

she was 16 there. Goku was 14

I know. What do you think preteen means? Before 18?

>Pussy whipped in the end
dunno what do you think

To make a meme movie you need the king of memes

preteen is before 13 dude. BEFORE your teens.

make the fights same as in kung fu hustle

Cell Saga was the worst of Z.

That was my point though,

Good luck making the characters not look like the worst thing ever. How the hell do you do Ginyu? Piccolo? Vegeta? Krillin? Frieza? Nappa? Tien? Choutzu?
It's as much of a stretch as doing a live action Mickey Mouse movie imo, it would just look really, really wrong. You can't even make Edward Eric look like a normal person in live action, what makes people think you could faithfully translate Goku?

My point is Bulma was never preteen in the anime or manga.

>splitting up saiyan and Freeza sagas, while trying to do all of DB in one.

There is too much DB to cover in one movie. Especially if you want to throw in a Budokai too.

Cast
>Goku- Chris Evans, Chris Pine
>Vegeta- Jaquine Pheonix, Karl Urban
>Piccolo- Anthony Mackie
>Bulma- Deborah Ann Woll

Style of Action
>Since the Z fighters move faster than the eye can see, it should be high speed fighting with moments of slowing down motion, then down to actual slow-mo.
>Matrix style

Effects
>The characters should be slightly mo-cap.
>The world should be as practical as possible.
>Puppets and make up for the most part.
>Sound should be as good as Dunkirk.

Movie 1
>Vegeta and Napa arrive, Z fighters fight them off.

Movie 2
>Frieza Saga

Movie 3 part 1
>Android Saga

Movie 3 part 2 (cause they do that shit now)
>Cell Games

Then go back to Dragon Ball as prequels.

DB =/= DBZ

Millennials should not be allowed to post

Funny, that's my point too.

>Is there such a thing as a manga that's completely and utterly unadaptable?
Boku no Pico or any story regarding offensive/controversial subjects like Pedophilia, incest, rape, etc....

It literally got adapted into an anime