THE DCEU

What are they doing wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/31/suicide-squad-was-a-hit-tarzan-wasnt-a-bomb-warner-bros-surprisingly-solid-summer/amp/
twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/793969556213501952
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What are they doing wrong?

They don't want to compete with Marvel's formula after Green Lantern died on arrival, so they've been going for a gritty tone, even when it doesn't make sense for certain characters like Billy Batson or the Flash.

Will they recast Iris?

Except they haven't made a Flash or Captain Marvel movie? Why are you bitching about something that hasn't even happened you stupid MCUck?

I doubt it, unless she decides to jump ship alongside Famuyiwa.

I've defended the movies up til Suicide Squad and I really hope Clemons doesn't drop it. Losing Famuyiwa sucks too.

They have no plan. Everything they do is completely reactionary to what Marvel is doing or not doing, and to what's "in" in the movie landscape. Then it goes wrong and they panic, scrap everything and begin again.

Also, micromanaging directors and calling out competition without the work to back it up, which invites more criticisms and harbors no goodwill.

Are you fucking retarded? They made THREE movies, and TWO of them are the same style by the same director. Retards had a fucking seizure over BvS so they butchered SS.

This fucking evul WB maymay is retarded as shit.

Except the butchered SS made more bank, so that is where they're going to take their signal from

you guys can keep your racebent iris.

hopefully we get patty.

He's right. They panicked so hard they had Hacky-Sack and Goyer shoehorn as much storyline as they could into BvS so they could try to get them 'Vengers Bux as soon as possible with a Justice League movie.

Just like everyone else.

Hm, no surprise there.

WB and Sony are neck-and-neck in the race for "stupidest movie studio running headlong into bankruptcy".

Boco while you may be correct, you are also a faggot retard. Fuck off.

Yes sir...

Isn't Paramount not doing so well cause they got no franchises?

I don't think so.

They at least have Transformers.

Came here to write exactly this. Only you worded it better than I would've.

It's incredible how everyone called it when Snyder, Nolan and Goyer were brought on board for the Superman reboot.

They got the worst possible people for the job and EVERYTHING people predicted would happen DID.

So who is this guy and why should I care about his opinion?

After Batman made bank but Green Lantern bombed they tried to take the Nolan approach to the entire universe, got negative feedback because what people want for Batman they don't necessarily want for everything else, panicked and started backtracking in the exact opposite way (by trying to Suicide Squad of all things goofier when it was the movie that really should have been grim'n'gritty).
Also, they want those sweet crossover bucks without all the time and effort it took the MCU to build itself, so you get shit like characters literally sitting down and watching Justice League teasers in BvS.

Jeff Sneider is one of the biggest insiders in the movie industry there is. He writes for Variety.

Has this guy had any DC scoops in the past?

they're hiring people that don't understand/respect superheroes and what makes them appealing

Paramount has also had more bombs and lost alot of money

Ben-Hurr set them back alot.

They need to stop handling it as a "DCEU" and just focus on making each movie as good as it can be. Figure out how to link them together after you already have a good film.

Also, two big things to set them apart from Marvel: don't write each movie like you're writing a part in a trilogy or a series, go all out, put everything you got into it. Next don't worry about having to "set up" everything-- let the characters have a pre-existing history. You don't have to show us how Flash met Captain Cold. You can show through the dialogue and how they act with each other the kind of history they have.

Several.

>he writes for mashable.
Fixed.

WB isn't even close to going bankrupt.

Like what?

What they need to do is stop trying to do a cinematic universe because they're a stupid fucking idea that stunts creativity. Kevin Feige has single handedly ruined big budget film making.

They're not doing that great, though. They're putting all their eggs in two baskets: this and that stupid Harry Potter spinoff.

>They're not doing that great, though.

But they are, you fucking imbecile. They are objectively making money off of these movies.

The InSneider. I'm not saying he's wrong but this guy's whole M.O. is to read the entertainment news and say he knew about it yesterday.

superman should be bright shiny and optimistic in tone. the world is at stake, but have no fear superman is here.

batman should be dark gritty noir. some punk in gotham is doing something horrible and batman is going to make them swallow their own teeth.

flash should be a MCU quipfest

green lantern should be buddy cop action drama with sinestro. first as the mentor, the rival, and then the criminal.

cyborg needs to be a GitS philosophical sci fi movie.

Wonder Woman should Rami Xena Camp.

Justice League should be straight popcorn. 2 hours of heroes punching things. Like the first Avengers movie.

>let the characters have a pre-existing history. You don't have to show us how Flash met Captain Cold.

That's stupid. They tried it and it was just lazy.

Ya know what really sucks? Suicide Squad was relatively successful.

That just means WB will look at what they did for it and assume they can keep micro-managing.

>WB
>the company that made 5 of the top 10 highest grossing movies this summer
>the biggest non-Disney studio
>ever going bankrupt

You'd think someone would have politely let them know Batman in Justice League isn't the same as Batman at home.

WB was going through a pretty rough dry spell, senpai. Their stock only raised this year due to "Suicide Squad" and prestige features like "Sully".

>it's a person in the media ant-shilling DC episode
>the day before a new trailer is set to arrive

Yes, no ulterior motive here. Not at all.

>flash should be a MCU quipfest

Gross.

Because they didn't release much of anything last year aside from Mad Max.

>superman should be bright shiny and optimistic in tone

I mostly agree, he doesn't need to be full-on pollyanna-ish but superman should Always Find A Way.

The thing you *don't* do with Superman is put him in a no-win situation, like... standing in the midst of the cratered Congress with burning bodies all around him, looking completely impotent. But nobody would ever do that, right?

>IT'S A CONSPIRACY! A CONSPIRACY AGAINST MUH DC!

So it's okay when Marvel does it? I guess so since their movies are popular.

>The thing you *don't* do with Superman is put him in a no-win situation, like... standing in the midst of the cratered Congress with burning bodies all around him, looking completely impotent. But nobody would ever do that, right?

Really don't get why people had a problem with this. Superman doesn't always manage to save people, if he always did there'd be no stakes.

This is literally the opposite of true.

Disney makes their money off of huge movies, but they don't make any small or mid-budget ones. So even though Zootopia, Finding Dory, and CW did gangbusters, BFG, Alice 2, and Pete's Dragon were massive disasters. The only movie this summer that did worse than Alice was Ben Hur.

Warner Brothers' big movies still make money; Suicide Squad was a huge hit and BvS still made money. But then movies like Tarzan also made profit, and they make a ton of small movies that pay off big.

Saying WB is anywhere close to in trouble is fundamentally retarded, and about what I'd expect from a retard who doesn't like Amy.

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/08/31/suicide-squad-was-a-hit-tarzan-wasnt-a-bomb-warner-bros-surprisingly-solid-summer/amp/

>Edgar Wright leaves Ant-Man
>not a peep from the media
>John Favreau leaves Iron Man after executive meddling during Iron Man 2
>no one gives a shit

The media bias is hilarious.

There was no real overall goal or plan when they decided to jump from MoS to DCEU. It puts more pressure on each singular movie to succeed and rectify any problems the previous did. WB was in the perfect position to grab the audience that was ready to move on from Marvel, but they bungled the launch.

There is still hope, but everything relies on Wonder Woman and Justice League. I will say SS was able to nab the minority and women 24 and under group though.

They're actually in the process of creating their own Hasbro movie universe with Transformers and GI Joe. The person they put in charge? Akiva fucking Goldsman.

You can't make this shit up.

You should have that selective memory checked, people talked a lot about Edgar Wright's departure.

And Favreau declined to return for a sequel, he didn't drop out of the movie one month away from principal photography. And certainly wasn't the third director the movie lost.

To begin with, we are 2 movies in and Clark Kent doesnt have friends.

Because casuals only have a vague idea of what Superman is, taken, often second hand, from the Donnerverse. Superman's my favorite superhero, but given that I like him due to relatively dark stories such as Up, Up, and Away, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Secret Identity, and For the Man Who Has everything I feel that I like some obscure character who happens to share the same name as the famous one.

Pretty sure the BP movie had a couple drop out and another movie not out yet did.

>Up, Up, and Away

Superman for All Seasons, though Up, Up, and Away is good too.

It's really a perfect shitstorm. There's no real direct cause as to why the DCEU is so disappointing (some may say Snyder), but it's a collective fuck up between writers , producers, directors, and random suits. They're trying too hard, they're directionless, and like previously said they're reactive. Hell the last 2 movies felt like I missed 3 other installments. What's amazing is how WB creates these movies that expect you to know these characters, and at the same time treat you like an idiot.

Kill Tsujihara and take his place, please.

>and at the same time treat you like an idiot.
thats because you are

Up, Up and Away is not dark at all. Are we thinking of the same story? Johns and Busiek wrote it, right? That story is extremely light-hearted and optimistic, and it shows that Superman is fundamentally a great person even without his powers.

Not Transformers, actually.

You'd think they would be included, but no.

>shocking news drop
>I knew this would happen guys, expect more to come! I wont say anymore to protect my sources
>shocking news drop
>I knew this would happen guys, expect more to come! I wont say anymore to protect my sources

Literally a Sup Forums poster

Nope. They approached two directors that didn't accept it, which is different.

The only two directors to ever drop out of a Marvel Studios movie were Patty Jenkins and Edgar Wright.

Movie bloggers hailing themselves as "journalists" are *surprise* up their own fucking asses

Way to reach for low hanging fruit. If you're going to shitpost, at least give me something creative/funny to laugh at

Nolan saved and inadvertently killed DCEU

>Makes a passable trilogy of Batman movies that revive the franchise
>Another iconic Joker enters the annals of time, but also the actor fucking died
>Nolanverse is independent of DCEU but the market for Batman is already saturated so they can't just make more Batman movies
>Make grimdark Superman
>Lets that shitty movie set the pace for the whole DCEU

How do we fix this, Sup Forums?

I have zero clue who this man is, who Famuyiwa is or what "shuffling in May" he's talking about, but "WB is fucking up the DCEU" is about as sure as "The sun is going to rise tomorrow morning."

THAT BEING SAID,
That snarky little "LOL, no. Wrong." reply makes his credibility fucking tank.

There's nothing wrong with a "grimdark Superman" but based on the financial success of Suicide Squad and on what we've seen of Justice League via the trailer, they'll probably add quips to appease the people who need literally ever cape film to be the same.

>If something isnt grimdark, it is the same

You guys are really idiots, like Warner executives that think that they are obligated to do the opposite of other companies.

Everyone hated that movie, though. Especially Sup Forums.

>if something is grimdark its bad

You guys are really idiots. Your entire argument is that the DCEU should have the same tone as the MCU.

Those were both huge stories in nerd media around that time you retard.

Jeff Sneider is a well-connected Hollywood insider; Rick Famuyiwa is the second director to abruptly drop out of "The Flash", just two months before shooting; and the "reshuffling in May" refers to WB making a big deal out of Geoff Johns being promoted to mapping out the DC Cinematic Universe when in truth he's still just a producer/writer answering to the WB commitee.

Johns is burning it down I guess
Either he has no power and is just PR claiming to change stuff or he's really destroying everything

I really hoped SS would bomb so they would just halt all their comic book movies, wait and try again in a few years.

Making Snyder the architect is the absolute worst way to start a universe.

>they let a guy who never should have done anything but smaller budget R rated movies decide more or less everything
>this same man is known for polarizing audiences and endlessly jerking off to surface level biblical metaphors
>Gadot and Momoa objectively can't act yet they're supposed to headline their own movies
>all those rumors about how WW was being rewritten while filming, pic extremely related
>Flash is now looking for its THIRD director and from what we know it's going to basically be a condensed version of the CW show
>if there was a good movie somewhere in SS, it was butchered to hell in editing
>even the little things like starting a universe with an older Batman who already has white hair and a dead Robin makes shit convoluted and kills a bunch of potential storylines

I think the sole silver lining about the DCEU is no matter what, Snyder is definitely fired after JL wraps. There is so much potential for genuinely good films with these characters and it depresses me that THIS is whats in the public's mind when it comes to these characters right now.

Oh no a movie two years from dropping is gonna get delayed. Whatever shall we do?!
Its upsetting that Rick left but this probably happened months ago and just got finalized. And i doubt WB would just drop him without a back up in mind.
Why does all logic just leave in sad attempts to shit on the DCEU

I have friends who work there. It's a complete mess. Geoff Johns and an army of script doctors are pretty much hastily rewriting all the scripts they have so far to add more comedy and eliminate the darker aspects that WB had previously mandated for these movies. "Wonder Woman" will be hit the hardest, "Justice League" seems like it'll manage, though. The others have a wider berth to figure themselves out, though the "Dope" guy's script for the Flash will most certainly be scrapped, it's way too wild for what WB wants right now.

Honestly place your chips high in "Shazam" and "Dark Universe". They're being developed on the fringes and have the best shot at being capekino.

Nothing/Everything depending on who you ask.

I don't really believe you. On the off chance you're telling the truth, though, what's Snyder's status? Do they keep him shackled to the wall between takes?

Sure you do buddy, and my uncle who works at Nintendo told me where to find Mew.

>all those rumors about how WW was being rewritten while filming, pic extremely related

Why. WHY. WHY DO THEY NOT HAVE THEIR PRE-PRODUCTION SHIT SORTED BEFORE PRODUCTION STARTS. Didn't this exact same thing happen with Suicide Squad???

Y'know if you weren't a moviefag you'd realize that what people are asking is more for the DCEU to be like the DCU instead of the MU.

Having a bunch of jaded """"heroes"""" in fighting while the crowd boos them is the Marvel Comics bread and butter. You don't fix Superman by giving him the PR problems of the X-men.

>I really hoped SS would bomb so they would just halt all their comic book movies, wait and try again in a few years.

Stay mad mousenigger

From what I'm told he's still free to direct "Justice League" as he sees fit, WB told him how they want it and he's not going to stray from their demands anyway. He's been bumped down as the mastermind behind the DCEU, though, now he's just another producer/writer alongside Johns and some other guys.

He hasn't been JUST'd, Warner still thinks he's an asset.

>more like the DCU

>quoting the movies to try to seem legit
>says capekino in the same post

You faggots don't even try anymore.

>Stay mad mousenigger

It blows my mind that people unironically defend MoS & BvS and legitimately believe them to be genius films.

At least with Sup Forums threads, you know its mostly memeing.

That'd make sense. In WB land, it makes much more sense to get three different scripts pitched, then Frankenstein them together

Putting movie titles in quotes is the proper way to do it, you imbecile.

They're going for the same release schedule the MCU has by putting out 2 movies a year. There's no problem with that, but the thing is they're still trying to figure out just what the fuck their cinematic universe even is.
They release a movie, it gets shit on critically, and instead of taking a year or two between movies to correct their mistakes, they butcher the movie that's already started production.

El Maybe just posted this on Twitter

twitter.com/elmayimbe/status/793969556213501952

Titans in the DCEU

No it's not, you use italics
Fucking moron
Source: studied film in college (inb4 shitting on a non stem choice, I don't have debt and have a job)

Honestly at this point they should just fucking scrap everything and start again from scratch. They've done literally nothing but fuck up until now and Johns was my last hope for the DCEU but it seems he still doesn't have any actual power and his promotion was just for pr.

No it's not. Have you ever actually read an article in your life?

He's such a faggot.

Sup Forums doesn't allow for italics. So it's either quotes or ALLCAPS.

Quotes is better. AllCaps just looks like you're shouting at random.

The only thing that will kill the DCEU is Justice League doing poorly. For Christ sake they have to revive Superman for this shit.

Because they're reporting negatively on something you like? Go fuck yourself.

>Johns was my last hope for the DCEU but it seems he still doesn't have any actual power and his promotion was just for pr.
How can you even tell? The only movie that has come out since his promotion thing was Suicide Squad and he wouldn't have had a chance to do anything to that one.
You can go all Harbinger once Wonder Woman comes out, THEN we can see what kind of effect, if any, he has on the movies.