Is mathematics necessary to truly understand the world?

Is mathematics necessary to truly understand the world?

Yes

If you exclude the meme known as relativity.

dude calculator lmao

/thread

It helps.

This, it separates the weak from the strong, switch majors after realizing it

Nope.

The mechanics of the world, sure. For understanding how people that make up the human world works, you're probably better off studying psychology, sociology, history and politics. And even then you'll never have much predictive power; only an understanding of why people do what they do.

No

SInce we don't know "how the world works" yet that is impossible to say. Math is important for other things, like computers, medicine and everything else.

>Study psychology, sociology

Literally memes, you might as well study astrology

Sucks for me I'm shit house at maths oh well I'll just get a trade here in aus and still earn a lot of money.

Psychology is just case studies and statistics, if you want to know how people think you need to spend time with them and not be a fucking basement dweller, but you'll become a basement dweller after a while because people are fucking scum imho.

Mathematics is a projection of the human mind. It doesn't help you understand anything except the conditions of our thinking.

To answer what, how, when, and where, yes.
To answer why, no, it doesn't.

Without basi math you cant comprehend Maxvell equation.
Without Maxvell equation you cant comprehend ekectromagnetic field.
Without that you dont know FUCKING MAGNETS HOW DO THEY WORK?

>why did that boat sink
>Huehue God
Today is the day you learn that engineering is all about math you nigger Brittbong

Yes, because math is like the program code that defines everything in the universe. Math is more sacred than anything man can create or say. It is the model if measurement for the universe and dynamic forces within it. Without knowledge of math, you are like the prisoner in the cave looking at shadow projections on the wall thinking they are real.

I am not good at math, but I understand enough about math to grasp just how little I understand about this universe and the world we live in.

I just stayed up all night doing math homework and I know nothing more about the universe than I did yesterday. But I sure can prove that the square root of 2 is irrational and that the composition if two bijections is also a bijection

>what caused the boat the sink?
>how can we make sure this doesn't happen again?
Sweden, go home. Oh wait...invaders took it from you.

>is mathematics necessary to truly understand the world
Yes, it is by all means necessary. Sup Forums is the home of underachievers (just like any other place on the internet, really. You cannot expect anything truly intellectual on the web) and that is why I am not surprised to see all these mindless comments claiming that mathematics is not beneficial for our understanding of the world. Most of the people here haven't done anything math-related besides menial tasks at school.

Anyways, if you're interested in mathematics & the underlying philosophy, reading the "Philosophy of Mathematics" by Stephen Barker is a good start.

>implying you just calculate it that one time and it's viable
Kek this is why you don't make cars anymore

Yes. Mathematics is what separates man from the animals. If you ever meet a dumb person, there's a high chance he doesn't understand shit about mathematics.

>Muslim mayor
Yeah keep telling yourself you are not invaded

You stayed up all night for intro to abstract math? Serious advice: manage your time better before you start Real Analysis

1st homework of real analysis. I spent the rest of the week doing abstract algebra homework. I hope this won't happen again

London is to the UK as Honk Kong is to China, so idgaf about the Muslim Mayor situation. He's a British national who's lived here his whole life so I can tolerate that atleast.

It is indeed a projection but so is the world, so it does in fact help us understand the world.

By 'world' I mean the universe that we directly perceive and its hidden aspects that we perceive indirectly through scientific models. Beyond what we can perceive and conceive, there is the inconceivable, and that cannot be touched by logic or mathematics.

Yes, at least up to Calculus 2 and Physics 2. Linear Algebra and Statistics/Probability as well.

Underrated

Get this: GPS without relativity=orbital paperweights

GPS with relativity=GPS

Look it up faggot

>you're probably better off studying psychology, sociology, history and politics.
If you can't afford to study those subjects, but still want the same end result, it's rather simple... Just quit your job, dye your hair pink, acquire a pair of dark-rimmed glasses, pick up a copy of the communist manifesto, and start browsing reddit.

Started with Dedekind cuts yet?

nice meme

if you have enought data and a powerfull computer you could predict everything, so yes

That's bullshit, mechanics are fundamentally probabilistic so you couldn't do that

Don't know what that is to be honest with you Pajeet

Yes, faggot.

You won't even know how to use it if you don't know what you're trying to do.