I'm actually a little scared

I'm actually a little scared.

How do you fuck up something so bad?

It wasn't laziness they put in tons of work into the costumes and even got the character names right.

What was their problem?

for one, this is not kuze, this has nothing to do with kuze.

Why did they even make this fucking film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v2soHxEN79c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>why did they make this film
This question would be more appropriate if the movie didn't have original characters or plot points. Why is it NOT being a direct copy a problem? You're being contradictory.

Because why even call it ghost in the shell if it's not going to be ghost in the shell?

It would be like buying a double whopper and getting a pancake or a pile of rancid shit.

>if it's not going to be ghost in the shell?
Would you say that there are no differences between the manga, Oshii's movies, SAC and Arise?

These are not arbitrary differences, nor did I expect it to be a carbon copy and I concede your point and it's a good one However, taking elements from two characters, meshing them together while also giving a completely different backstory and persona is just strange and pointless. At best this is ghost in the shell "abridged".

I can't even call it abridged because everything is so...twisted, so much is lost.

Stealing comic books from nerds and making it a normie money printing machine worked so they figured stealing Chinese cartoons from them would work too. That and they wanted to monopolize yet another industry to make sure you got your daily inundation of liberal propaganda, user

It can't be called an abridged version of GITS, because this particular story doesn't exist in the source material. There is no such thing as an abridged setting either, the live action movie can't fail as 'a portal to the GITS lore and philosophy' because it's intended to work as a standalone narrative that can be watched and understood without prior knowledge of the franchise, just like the animated movies/series.

If you have problems with the movie, you should be able to define them without needing to refer to other works. Live-action Kuze is a character, not a reference.

You would have a point except there is source material...but I'll play along, this was deviantart sonic ghost in the shell.

When was the last time anyone criticised Die Hard for not being like Nothing Lasts Forever? is Gladiator a bad movie for not being a truthful retelling of the life of emperor Commodus?

I liked it

>is Gladiator a bad movie for not being a truthful retelling of the life of emperor Commodus?

yes

I appreciate your comments at the same time it is my sacred duty to hate this film for being such an evil. Let me be clear, this is a bad movie, it could have been good if it had been more like the source material, that's the argument you seem to have a problem with.

The thing hollywood doesn't understand is that your film must have a good script. If it doesn't have this as essential requirement you either have rewrite it or throw out the project.

But they added diverse cast of side characters with no depth to make up for that.

As a cis white male, I get offended when the movie doesn't have people of color. Them being Black or Hispanic more than makes up for their single dimensional characters and motivations.

this is what happens if you let millenial nu-males do movies or anything for that matter.
They are the equivalent of GURRRL GAMERS.
They are all a bunch of facile subhumans who only pretend to be into certain things, because they think it will benefit them and make them shine and belong in certain circles they actually couldn't give less of a fuck about.

I've yet to see anything made by nu-males and hipster Redditor Gen Z shits that was actually done with passion and conviction and soul poured into it. So far it has all been uninspired trash.

That scene was still Kino, though.

As an oppressed minority I wonder why are you appropriating the emotions I feel when the movie doesn't have people of color?

Can't you evil whites stop from stealing everything from us?

i wish michael pitt would do something good like boardwalk empire

It wasn't that bad.
Compared to Death Note it was excelent.

This video explains it pretty well
youtube.com/watch?v=v2soHxEN79c

reddit

Because Die Hard is to NLF as the original animated GITS movie was to the Manga.

The live action GITS movie is the worst of all iterations of the story. Even the Appleseed movies are better.

What IS the source material? The manga? The 1995 movie? The second season of SAC? The live-action movie can't be exactly like all of them at the same time, and it can't be a direct copy of any of them because it's a 2 hour live action movie. What it is is a synthesis of the various Ghost in The Shell stories, mixed with some new ideas and a different perspective. The reason why I have a problem with your argument is because I don't agree that it's a bad movie. A movie can't just be bad for not being like some other movie, because that kind of reasoning allows one to argue that Birds is bad for not being North by Northwest, or that The Poseidon Adventure is bad for not being The Sound of Music. It means nothing at all. Where is the real criticism? One could say that the the movie has awkward shots with poor framing or insufficient lighting, or that you can see boom mikes, or that Mira's characterisation arbitrarily changes without reason between scenes...

I'm so sorry, I guess I learned my unconscious biases and tendencies to step on minorities feelings from my long since dead family members that were nazis that never met. Forgive me.

Loved this movie. Best movie I saw all year. Reminded me of goofy 80s movies like Robocop, Big Trouble in Little China, etc. But with a 10s spin. Hope to see more of this kind of lighthearted scifi would be good.

Like I said, you buy a whopper and you get shit with a whopper label.
>What IS the source material? The manga? The 1995 movie? The second season of SAC?

If you had watched the film like I had and put the dots together you would see that yes these are all the source material, they literally copied scenes from the movie and changed some things to make it original.

I'm not talking about those movies I'm talking about this one and I watched this movie because I liked the other ghost in the shell material and wanted to see the next thing with ghost in the shell on it.

False equivalence, user. Birds isn't based on north by northwest. Same for the Poseidon adventure and the sound of music. I haven't seen the 2017 movie so I don't know how it is but either way, that argument is not legitimate.

A movie's quality isn't a product of 'faithfulness'. It's a product of filmmaking efforts like writing, directing and acting. You are unable to perceive Ghost in The Shell 2017 as a movie, and that makes you unable to criticise it as a movie. Maybe you see it as some kind of tie-in merchandise to Shirow's manga or the 1995 anime, I don't know. That said, if the toyline for a Batman movie has Batman dual wield katanas or ride a war chariot, children will probably consider that a cool improvement rather than a terrible divergence from the source material. You're more easily upset than children.

>if you want to make a movie you need money
>if you want money you need dumb ideas
That' exactly what the director said in an interview

>Why did they even make this fucking film?

they needed an excuse to stuff Scarjo into a latex wetsuit and have her climb, dripping wet, onto a boat. and for this i thank them.

user who was supposedly involved in the movie's production at a fairly high level spilled the beans on how the movie's screenplay devolved overtime. If I remember correctly - it was rewritten completely after the studio brought in an anonymous female consultant. One of the things he mentioned was that the general theme shifted from AI and consciousness to female empowerment.

I don't know if that user was larping or not, but he seemed pretty convincing.

wether this is true or not, feminists have ruind sci-fi movies for good. Hideo Kuze has been turned into a weak beta autistic hacker in this film because villains must not intimidating

I don't think it's been mentioned but another major problem was that ScarJo was terrible. She got the character all wrong. She played her as some kind of unemotional autistic robot, instead of someone how was very introspective and even whimsical, someone who had a sense of humor, even in very dangerous situation.

Op here
Have helped me make peace with this film
however you must understand, this film is based of ghost in the shell, as much as it is an extrapolation it still is connected and maybe this is just my little wake up call into marketing or something along those lines.

It reminds me of the alternate universe missions on the metal gear solid 2 cd where it was an extrapolation of the mgs world but totally different like final fantasy.

Either way it was a dissatisfying film and I hated it but my autism won't let it go because ghost in the shell felt important to me.

Hideo Kuze was a Che Guevara inspired cyber christ figure revolutionary.

What we got was an emotional autistic shittier version of kylo ren

I can't even say him and the puppet master were spliced together, he's nothing like either only that he plugs into certain scenes.

Isn't he like an ultra badass who gets fucked up on drugs all the time and studios barely want to work with him because of how fuckin badass he is?

keep up the good work lads

great film provided you understand early russian cinema

But user, a whopper is a pile of rancid shit.

He's a piece of shit flake. He ruined Boardwalk Empire and Hannibal.

>Boo hoo they didn't follow my autistic animu to the letter like holy scripture

Fucking kill yourself, weeb. It was a fun movie.

>Kuze former soldier which turned into a messiah for the refugees
>against violence, orders his men not to fire

>this film he's some random hacker/ puppet master inspired hack job

The whole film was a mess

I'm loving how crude that gun prop is.

What was meant by this?

>another time
> :)

what the FUCK

I've been told by many a man that this single scene was responsible for the development of a straight shota complex.

Is it ever actually confirmed the major is female though?

They didn't get the name wrong they just realize they can't use the character because they can't use the plot for a series run their movie so they have to write their own story.
That's their downfall. They can make props and costumes but cannot write a story that fits what they got

I liked it too, user.

>care to find out ;)
Oh NOW I get it

Kid was smarter than me

>search google images to find THAT pic, you know the one
>Ghost in the Shell results are almost from the live action, only 3-4 from the original movie or SAC series

FUCK YOU HOLLYWOOD GOOGLE SHILLS
I COULD ALWAYS FIND THAT PIC ON FIRST SEARCH AN YEAR AGO

There you go now we are talking. Thanks for making it a pain in the ass to find a damn picture.