Trailer for the live action movie adaptation of Daniel Clowe's Wilson got released today. What does Sup Forums think...

Trailer for the live action movie adaptation of Daniel Clowe's Wilson got released today. What does Sup Forums think? Personally, I think Wilson is one of Clowes weaker works. I would rather see a movie adaptation of David Boring or Patience.

youtube.com/watch?v=jjPxlzjuLww

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JzYllBpl-9I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah I'd rather see David Boring get a movie but I suppose this doesn't look like total shit? Idk a lot of the Wilson delivery and quality comes from the panel pacing and I can't see you really translating that well to film. It's impossible

I'm definitely going to watch this. Hopefully theree will be great original material.

I'm guessing it will be a lot different from the source material just like Art School Confidential was. There was some huge changes in the Ghost World movie too.

I think it looks bad, then again I'm one of those people who don't like anything from clowes after velvet glove.

Yeah, Wilson is probably the worst thing he's done. And this is some terrible miscasting. I was talking with Jeffrey Lewis about all Clowes' talk of "the comic is the be-all-and-end-all", "my comics aren't doorways to another medium", slagging off cape comics for being "fancy storyboards for future film and TV projects" etc seem really glib, now. I get that he might want to experiment in a different medium and all that but why not write a completely original screenplay in that case? Maybe he's taken good heed of the unfortunate, impecunious ends of some of his cartooning heroes to heart and wants that $, I mean it's not as if he hasn't "paid his dues", right?
That trailer does not fill me with hope at the prospect of Wilson: The Movie. In fact it looks shitty. I know it's not a popular idea in "post-modernity" but one of it's good points was that Wilson was so "medium specific". It's effect (or "main gimmick") is impossible to reproduce in other mediums, the "different drawing idiom for each page" thing. You'd think Clowes and the director could've at least attempted to play around with or make an approximate translation of that idea.
Yeah, a David Boring film could actually be good.

>Be Wilson, the most annoying sperg in the known universe
>Get movie

>Daniel Clowes

Ice Haven was such a bore. Not bad in a comic sense, but pretty forgetable in the story department.

Is that all you've read by him? If so maybe Ice Haven wasn't the best place to start in my opinion.

I thought Death-Ray was supposed to an adaption?

I was like wary because like why? but the trailer was entertaining and it looks like Clowes is really involved so I'm interested. Woody is great generally

*get

Wow, they're absolutely didn't get dry and sarcastic tone of original. I didn't like book much but it didn't deserve to be converted in this abomination

I was sceptical from the very first announcement, then when the cast was announced it only intensified 1000-fold.

I just wonder what other changes they're gonna make to this.

I like the trailer...
This is only his third into kino, heh.

Yes, I know.

Woody Harrelson has too much charm to play Wilson, and the tone of the comic is completely lost.
Also of all the Clowes stuff they could, why Wilson?, he has better and more easily adaptable stuff.

Same as Millar already

>>Be Wilson, the most annoying sperg in the known universe

I think Rusty Brown takes that award.

I really liked all the unconventional experimentation with the artwork in Wilson.

I'll try this movie, but I'm disappointed that it looks very safe and conventional.

It's a Adam Sandler-tier. All these overreactions and screams... Did they even read book before shooting?

Daniel Clowes is credited as writer for the screenplay so yeah, I think so.

>I would rather see a movie adaptation of David Boring or Patience.

Patience could actually work as pretty succesful sci-fi blockbuster. David Boring is probably better as a comic than a movie imo.

the trailer could also be horribly misleading like with Happiness but I don't know, it seems like either Clowes is fucking with people or he wants it to be more marketable
youtube.com/watch?v=JzYllBpl-9I

So he is considired a hypocrite now, right?

Was Clowes even involved with Happiness beyond the poster?

>blockbuster

Eh, I dunno about that.

Dude, Interstellar became a blockbuster even though the plot probably went over normal people's heads. Why couldn't Patience? It's not any more complex in it's time traveling than Terminator or Back to the Future. Or maybe you don't think it will work because of the anti-hero protagonist?

Clowes had nothing to do with Happiness other than making the poster for it.

No.

I thought the book was all right but compared to everything else he has done, it would be the least likely to be made into a film. I think Death Ray, Ice Haven or David Boring would all be more marketable than this. Any work where you hate the main character is tough to get into.

I sort of disliked the main character in David Boring.

They always do this with trailers. When you're trying to sell a movie to the masses, you gotta make it look dumb.

Why? He was a determined pimp on a mission. This is my favorite panel.

Dude in the thread about "sexist comic art/artists" talking about how "Clowes' art isn't sexy; he can't draw sexy women", toppest of keks. That whole scene is hot as fuck.

I always wondered if the chick David's banging on the first page is SUPPOSED to look like Scarlett Johansenn? Like a sly wink to his audience and himself?

Interstellar was also Oscar bait by a renowned filmmaker. I wouldn't mind a Patience adaptation, but "blockbuster" brings to my mind generic Hollywood style, whereas Patience would benefit from a filmmaker putting their own stylistic stamp on the story.

Nah, I just meant blockbuster as in successful in the box office etc.

He just seemed so detatched and cold. Like when his friend dies it's like he couldn't care less you know. Typical Clowes characters though.

Fair enough. I would agree Patience works well enough that a movie would be popular, if ever it were made.