/swg/ - Screenwriting General

What are you working on? What can you show us?

-- Resources --

>The Internet Movie Script Database (IMSDb)
imsdb.com/

>Screenwriting Software
- Fade In (Windows/macOS/Linux, $79.95) - fadeinpro.com/ [Works with Fountain]
- Highland (macOS, $29.99) - quoteunquoteapps.com/highland/ [Works with Fountain]
- Slugline (macOS, $39.99) - slugline.co/ [Works with Fountain]
- Amazon Storywriter (Web, Free) - storywriter.amazon.com/ [Works with Fountain]
- Trelby (Windows/Linux, Free & Open Source) trelby.org/ [Works with Fountain]
- WriterDuet (Web, Freemium) - writerduet.com/ [Works with Fountain]
- Scrivener (Windows/macOS, $45.00) - literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.php [Works with Fountain]
- Adobe Story (Web, Freemium) - story.adobe.com/
- Celtx (Web, Freemium) celtx.com/
- Montage (macOS, $29.95) - marinersoftware.com/products/montage/
- Final Draft (Windows/macOS, $249.99) - store.finaldraft.com/final-draft-10.html
- Movie Magic Screenwriter (Windows/macOS, $249.95) - screenplay.com/catalog/product/view/id/30/category/8

>Fountain, a free and open source plaintext screenplay format (works across multiple text editors and screenwriting apps)
- Website - fountain.io/
- Introduction Video - youtube.com/watch?v=X3ZdiUqrZ1g
- Fountain for Vim - vim.sourceforge.io/scripts/script.php?script_id=3880
- Fountain for Emacs - rnkn.github.io/fountain-mode/
- Fountain for Atom - atom.io/packages/fountain
- Fountain for Visual Studio Code - marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=massivedanger.fountain

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=IATW9Ay-wws
studiobinder.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have script in the works about a kid who witnesses a miracle first hand which ends up forming his whole life. He ends up biting up more than he can chew and finally before one last bedtime, he spits it out.

Is it a short film?

film is always short if you really think, it represents singular ideas

What's a good way to organize my ideas into a coherent plot line?

Is there a way to make lines horizontally equal in length in Fade In? It really tingles my autismo senses but I have yet to find an option that allows it.

Who else is struggling to a write a script for a micro budget movie? My mind is running blank on this. I could write a script for a big budget movie no problem.

write a drama

Write with no limits, then focus on the limits afterwards. Take your time, dude. If you ever feel like you need to rush it, don't. Rushing creates bad story, like MGS5 or Star Wars Prequels.

Take a look at this video. It's entertaining as fuck, but still looks great.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=IATW9Ay-wws

I'm really struggling with not "directing" in my scripts. Some say it's bad, others say to just write like you write.

Here's an example that you see all the time that I want to write in but don't know how or if I should:

>night, some house. villain approaching his victim with a knife
>he gets closer and closer
>looming over his victim
>he lifts his knife and brings it down but
>we cut to the outside of the house and only hear the screams, don't show it visually

How do you write it? It kinda seems lame to write all that foreplay and then do
>EXT. HOUSE - NIGHT
>The house looks as ominous under the moonlight as we hear the victims nightmarish screams.

to be honest with you, it sounds boring. Try to play more with your characters. What does your character want? and why? these kinda things will help in your creative process

Is this a meme?

I recently wrote an 8 (?) page horror short flick.

I have no interest in directing and even if I did I don't have the equipment, budget, cast, etc. etc. necessary to even begin thinking about putting production together.

If there are any people here who have connections, please call me, pls

if you've written a script, i'd be down to read it my dude

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

HIS NAME IS JOHN WICK

Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon?!?

I'm working on a couple of ideas in my mind. Never felt competent in my ability to tell stories so I've always been very self-conscious about it all.

One idea is kinda unformed in my mind right now. A drama that depicts a split between reality from the perspective of people who've invested their consciousness too heavily in technology. I can't really say much beyond that. My vision of it uses color and light and sound to illustrate delusions and reality. I would think of it as something like Punch Drunk Love but more paranoid and serious and less comical.

I've been thinking of another thing lately that I would love to draw up but I'm worried that it should be something that comes only after (if) I've had experience in filmmaking. It would essentially be about a director working on a doomed production using digital video in the mid-1990s before The Idiots was a thing.

Do you have Final Draft? When i feel REALLY compelled to make decisions outside of writing in my script I just use some script notes to make sure I have that image in my head.

Try to expand on your imagery and be creative with how you present the scene to the reader. Form the image in your mind and try to bring the significant little details out. Start with an establishing shot. What kind of house is it? Is it dilapidated and rural or is it a pristine suburban family home?

Anyone here uses Scrivener? I have an issue with the pdf compilation and can't find any answers with google. Basically, in the pdf file, the last line on the page is cut in half and on the next page it's repeated.

Been using StudioBinder which is way better than Celtx studiobinder.com/

I want to open with a black screen for 10 seconds accompanied by a voiceover. How do I signify a black screen?

Do I use 'EXT. BLACK SCREEN' as a scene heading?

Use "OVER BLACK:"

Thanks!

>we'll pay you on first day of shooting :)
>2 year development hell
>we'll keep you updated :)
>*crickets*
>ok we're shooting now but there's trouble with our foreign investors. First payment rollout comes soon, promise :)
>crew members start to file fucking lawsuits
My blood pressure can't take this shit. Filming wraps up in October and there's still the possibility that they last-minute cancel everything, wish me luck lads.

May may