Has the idea of the psychological effects of The Flash's powers ever been explored properly...

Has the idea of the psychological effects of The Flash's powers ever been explored properly? Stress from trying to do too many different things, the inability to save everyone, addictions or power trips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YMe1qlyuMXQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There was an episode of JLU where it's revealed in a nightmare that Wally's greatest fear is that he'll go so fast he won't be able to ramp back down and end up living out the rest of his life in the motionless limbo between ticks of the clock.

>time keeps dragging on

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm after. The Flash seems like a goldmine for stories like this.

i mean

the dude's fucking his sister in the tv show so

yeah i guess

and is married to her in the comics, whats your point?

youtube.com/watch?v=YMe1qlyuMXQ

Well there's Pietro Maximoff Syndrome.

These were both great. Speedster psychology is so interesting.

>Wally's greatest fear is that he'll go so fast he won't be able to ramp back down and end up living out the rest of his life in the motionless limbo between ticks of the clock

Man I always hated this page, I mean:
>Hey there, look, it's the Flash
>He's crying
>Let's take pictures
People can be such assholes.

Forgive my shitty memory, but I'd swear there was a story of a speedster whose powers not only made his body go fast but also his perception in a way that if he wanted to travel 20 miles, he would still have to experience the entire hours walking/running those miles while the world is slowed down around him.
So for example when he wanted to cross an ocean to stop a catastrophe at the other side of the world, he would walk for years.
And the story mentioned how he has to fight depression constantly, and how alienated he felt from the world.

I can't remember if this was a comic or something I read on Sup Forums...

exactly what i thought of

>I can't remember if this was a comic or something I read on Sup Forums...
I hope it's a comics because I want to read it

Its something that pops up in one off Super Hero comics.
In Black Summer, i can't remember if the speedster also compressed space to do more than short bursts of speed.
But Warren Ellis seem to include it, because its the easier way to try to paint speed as grimdark.

Marvel occasionally do it for Pietro. But not always.
Some of the Flash Villains WILL suffer from this.
The writers of The Flash show wants Flash to suffer from a variant of this, but they can't actually decide on the detail, so you get these one off scenes where he freezes the world.

If you actually had the Flash's powers wouldn't it always seem like this? Or would things feel like they were moving fast but still managable like driving a car?

Wally's hyperactive behaviour is part of his charm. He has messed up the thing sometiimes because of it. It' fun.

There's one Wally comic where he sometimes involuntarily goes into "speed mode" and the world freezes around him. I think he was talking to his fiance's dad when it happened

The speedster in black summer didn't really have a slowed perception of time, she just couldn't see in color because at those speeds light sort of broke down.

On a more comedic note, he mentioned once falling into speed mode while looking at Wonder Woman's tits.

Flash #91 was the culmination of a story in which Wally didn't save a person from being disfigured in a fire. He tried using Johnny Quick's formula to make himself even faster but eventually learned to accept his limitations. Good Mark Waid story and my favorite run on the Flash.

"speed mode"

I mean, I'd do that too if I was in his position, maybe even touch em a little

Yeah, it's a Donald Duck comic, I think "Return of Super Dooper" if I remember correctly.

Dick, Wally, and Roy are weird they aged up and grew but almost no one else did especially Trinity

I seem to remember a strip where Flash watches a chick-flick with his girlfriend, he gets bored and subconsciously activate his powers and makes the movie last a week.

Isn't there meme of Kenau Reeves that's literally that?

Typical.

It's weird because instead of aging the others up, they made it so they started sidekicking later. So they went from 10 at starting to like 14-15, so they were only with their respective hero 5 years before moving on.

Wasn't as big a deal with Wally and Barry (until Flash rebirth where Barry and Iris were suddenly younger than Wally) but Dick and Bruce's ages have been this sliding fudge for awhile.

Superman and Wonder Woman are immortal. They should have simply justified Batman's lack of aging with Lazarus Pit exposure, like they did with fucking Black Canary, instead of screwing up his timeline in New 52.

Older Wally may be due to bad luck with artists and the thing about him always looking slighty older than he is. Also, the fact that he probably has memories enought for a rather older dude. You can make your character old by dialogue as well.

There's a speedster in T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents who sees his own potential future deaths whenever he runs. It shortens his lifespan, too.

I'll never understand why they don't come out and make Bruce quasi-immortal already.

Dude has the Lazarus Pits as big part of his mythos and thanks to his connection with Deadman there's also Nanda Parbat, which became a huge thing in Batman's mythos. Nanda Parbat is a place where you can live an immortal life. Sherlock Holmes live there and met Batman once.

It would also explain how Bruce can heal from all his injuries.

I'm talking about the first Flash Rebirth. Iris had been an older Grandman since Waid reintroduced her in the mid 90s then bam, Barry comes back and she's beautiful mid 20s to Wally's very obvious 30s.

>CRT
>pixel
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

My guess is they don't want to invalidate his 'just a human' status, which is pretty dumb considering how boundless his abilities are accepted to be.

I don't get how they portrayed this as something bright in comparison's to Batman's authoritarian hold on Gotham when it even says "even the most harmless of wrongs"

Imagine if you couldn't even jaywalk without the Flash bumping you in the chest

What's the deal with this?

Dream reality created using superdrugs by a villain called The Key.

Oh. Cool.

Thanks.

Shes not his sister in the comics

There could be so much to tell. Make a whole standalone story with a more dark take of the character. It would be new, I'm not saying to go for something edgy but exploring an aspect of the character who is very often forgotten.

Yeah, Wally spent relatively a week when Linda took him to opera because he was so bored.

Barry has a better grasp on perception since he is the most grounded and patient one but Wally's impatience causes him trouble more often than not.

People connected to the Speed Force and the people around them age very weirdly. The SF is related to time, after all.

Thank you, user! this is the answer I was looking for
Now I can keep dreaming of having Flash's powers.

But the sister is a black hot chick and he's white so that's okay

>jaywalk

There's a great few pages with Quicksilver attending a dinner, he puts effort and care into eating slowly, but still finishes before everyone else has even started. Pietro is great for these moemnts

She was weird.
She needed to access some form of subspace "to go faster".
I can't even remember how she worked without that subspace.

Mostly because its a early crime of deal.
You draw guns? You lose them
You start a brawl? Suddenly you are blacks apart from who you are fighting

One of the things the X-Men movies did right, was the Quicksilver portions.
He can go into overdrive, anywhere, and do what he do.
Sure, the portion in Acopalypse is worse than in the previous one, but it was still amazing

Quicksilver had the best scenes in those two movies.

New 52 started with Flash depending on being able to think of outcomes so quickly that he got stuck thinking and got shot. Then there was using the speed force so much a portal would open and suck people in. And then it was losing track of time.

Late wew

>Suddenly you are blacks apart from who you are fighting

Freudian slips are the BEST slips.

So, like every day in the Marvel Universe, eh?

So he has a "semi speed mode" then?

That's cool. It really would suck if you only had an on and off switch and couldn't adjust it more then that.

>inability to save everyone

Why yes. Flash v2 #93 by Waid and Weiringo. Shook from being called out by this crippled burn victim that he didn't save in time, Wally uses Johnny Quick's speed formula, “3X2(9YZ)4A”, to send himself into overdrive. Wally starts moving so fast that the rest of the world is at a relative standstill and Wally can't slow down! Best part of the issue is Max Mercury catching up to Wally to counsel him, but Max cant keep up for long and eventually fades into relative immobility like everyone else.

My favorite single issue ever.

Oh shit, should've read the thread. Was it 91 or 93? Cover copy said "Out of Time" I think.

Wally's relationship with the Speed Force has always been a bit funky, I think.

Impulse seems to have a better one, even, ironically.

Looks like I was wrong on both counts. Issue #91, cover copy says "Get a Grip". Still think the story is titled "Out of Time", though.

The Flash (1987), Issue 91?

Definitely is the issue #91 of the 1987 run. It's just before Bart appears, I think.

Yeah, it's #91. Bart is on the cover of #92. Waid Flash will be with me forever. I'm glad I read it.