Rick Famuyiwa dropped out of THE FLASH due to tone, scope and Cyborg

Rick Famuyiwa dropped out of THE FLASH due to tone, scope and Cyborg.

His draft had a darker tone than WB is comfortable with now that they're retailoring their movies to be lighthearted and fun. It was still within the standards of superhero movies, but had an edgier slant, touching on themes of police corruption and how people can be backed into corners by the system.

The scope was also smaller than what's expected of a tentpole superhero movie. It is borderline character-driven and features relatively low stakes in comparison to the other DCEU movies that are all approaching world-ending threats.

Finally, Cyborg. Warner wants to make Cyborg happen, but JUSTICE LEAGUE alone isn't doing the trick. They've been polling selected audiences, testing predetermined scenes, and so far not only Cyborg is the member people seem less interested in, but as he's portrayed in JUSTICE LEAGUE he doesn't seem to be turning any heads either. He's relatively humorless aside from interactions with the Flash, who is scoring much better, so they decided to add him to the standalone Flash movie to ride off of the Flash's coattails. Famuyiwa's latest draft gives him a moderately sized role as Barry's confident, but WB wants more, including adding Cyborg into action scenes and maybe even giving him his own secondary antagonist, and Famuyiwa couldn't handle the pressure.

In terms of plot his draft centers on Barry Allen at the crossroads of his life after saving the world in JUSTICE LEAGUE, not knowing where to go from there. Barry's mother, Nora, was murdered when he was a child and his father, Henry, was wrongfully blamed, and Barry is obsessed with proving his innocence and is plagued by nightmares of the day she died. There are subtle references to the presence of the Reverse Flash, but that plot thread is mostly reserved for another movie.

Simultaneously, Leonard Snart is climbing the ranks of the city's criminal underworld due to his timely precision and cold approach to heists. His sister Lisa is in a coma and Snart is trying to protect her from their father, decorated police officer Frank Snart, who works with Barry at the police station. A parallel is drawn in that while Barry's father Henry was wrongfully blamed for his wife's murder, Frank actually did kill his wife and abused his children, but used his resources to cover it all up.

Barry foils Snart's robbery early on the movie, and while in prison he's approached by Cadmus, a government-sponsored research institute connected to A.R.G.U.S. that is using convicts in illegal genetic experiments to unlock and weaponize superhuman abilities. Snart is offered specialized treatment for Lisa in exchange for participating of an experiment and agrees, but it seemingly goes wrong and leaves him on the brink of death. Cadmus representatives attempt to dispose of him and recant their promises to help his sister, so Snart breaks out. He has become a meta-human as well with the power to produce inertia, slowing down molecules around him to the point of absolute zero, and generating ice around him as a result of the molecular stall.

The draft at hand generally follows Barry as he tries to stop Snart, who is going on a rampage against his former accomplices who betrayed him and Cadmus, as well as attempting to steal the medical technology needed to save Lisa. Frank becomes involved, attempting to stop his wayward son, and Barry soon suspects that he has something to hide and launches his own investigation.

Iris West, in this context, is Barry's oldest - and only - friend, an aspiring reporter who has been rejected by numerous publications because of her radical approach to journalism and her tendency to expose people in powerful places. Iris clearly harbors feelings for Barry that he's unable to acknowledge. At his behest, she launches into an investigation on Cadmus.

In the end, Barry realizes that he doesn't need to stand shoulder to shoulder to Superman and use his powers to change the world in grander ways. He has a duty to the people, and his speed is a means for him to help them individually. Likewise, he realizes he has a responsability to the truth that extends to solving the numerous cold cases that were buriued by Frank Snart and other corrupt cops and bring closure to their families.

Iris learns of Barry's secret halfway through and gets into contact with Cyborg, who aides her in her investigation into CADMUS. Meanwhile, Barry and Snart have a violent final confrontation after Lisa seemingly dies due to Frank's and the Flash's intervention and Snart goes after them both for revenge. Snart is ultimately defeated and Frank survives, but is then arrested in light of Barry's exposure of his crimes.

The Flash reaches out to Snart in prison, but Snart denounces redemption, claiming that being a criminal is all he knows and he can't turn his back on it, only move forward. But he assures Barry that any good criminal follows a code and that he might have to find friends that can help him measure up to the Flash, leaving the door open for the Rogues.

Iris' evidence on Cadmus is blocked by A.R.G.U.S., so Barry reaches out to Batman (yes, he makes an appearance), who has dealings with the agency (through Amanda Waller, though she is neither named for appears). Waller sacrifices the head of the Cadmus program, Dr. Jerry McGee, who is disgraced by the exposure of his experiments with Iron Heights inmates.

Barry finally realizes how much Iris means to him and they profess their love for each other, and Barry vows to bring his father out of jail, reopening his case with permission from his new commanding officer Darryl Frye. Other supporting characters with no particular relevance are David Singh, James Forrest, Cecile Horton, Gregory Wolfe, among others.

A prospective after-credits scene alludes to Lisa surviving her apparent death by becoming trapped in an astral plane and appearing to Snart as a "ghost".

DC has no fucking clue how to make movies.

I'd have probably liked this. Not super deep, but seeing a superhero do a different style of story structure always has a chance to be interesting and I like police corruption stories that have a positive outcome.

Oh it's you. The guy that continually puts out bullshit movie rumors on here and Sup Forums.

At least they are a more entertaining read than:
>Chat noir.: Admit it, whether you like the show or not. Everything this guy does in the series is fucking hot.
>How can people sexualize this?
>Yaaaas!!! make it happen Marvel
>Karen Berger: Name a smarter comics editor Protip: you can't
>Misery.: How do you think it would feel to have sex with Misery? Please,be honest. I need to Know.

That type of shit needs to be burned with fire, a pseudomostlikelyfake plot that is at least fun to read is hardly the worst thing on this board.

Chill the fuck out, faggot. Jesus.

Diamonds

Man, fuck Cyborg! I'm already kind of pissed we're likely getting a shitty Flash movie, something I WANT to be happy about, and just the thought of that tin asshole lazily forced in the movie just annoys me to no end. Have him play solitaire on the Watchtower until JL2 for all I care. Fuck meta Cold, and the DCEU

Yee

God knows why they want to put Cyborg in the Justice League when he clearly doesn't belong. Just make a Teen Titans movie and put him there.

They needed a black guy who didn't have Black in his superhero name.

And they can't touch green lantern because that film died on arrival.

Martian manhunter.

I'd have used Static.

His Flash plans sound bad so I'm glad we're not getting that movie.

Fuck shoehorning Cyborg in though, like said. He's not interesting except for memes like BOOYAH and HIT THE SHOWERS.

And waffles.

Agreed. It seems like a perfectly reasonable Flash starting movie which doesn't need to throw too much exposition as to his origin and powers and allows them to play out naturally.

If DC wants Cyborg to be a good character they need to hire someone really good - like Alan Moore good - to just have free reign on Cyborg for five years or so. Let them add in a proper Cyborg supporting cast and rogues gallery.

>Martian manhunter.

That would make too much sense.

He's been a member of the Justice League for 5 years. They aren't getting rid of him, make your peace with J'onn J'onze?

>His draft had a darker tone than WB is comfortable with now that they're retailoring their movies to be lighthearted and fun.
Complete lie. Snyder said Flash would be the one to bring levity to the JL BEFORE BvS even came out.

Sounds pretty cool but
>touching on themes of police corruption and how people can be backed into corners by the system.
What? THAT'S too edgy??

could just have Kilg&re as the villain and would be cool to have Flash/Cyborg team-up
easy fix

Really, from that, the only thing that could get really dark is if we have some really dark flashbacks of Snart's abusive father, and maybe not skewing away from any murdered bodies during some investigations.

He's not black and he's about as popular as Cyborg, while being harder to write around.

Ezra was growing on me as the Flash too, shame the film will most likely be a disappointment.

But if he can be less mopey and likeable than Gustin's Flash (which isn't hard) then I'm in. I like they've adopted a Wally West type of persona for him, DCAU Flash was great.

>they've adopted a Wally West type of persona for him
When will this meme die?

No one has ever cared about Cyborg. He is bland and just not interesting. DC just keeps pushing his boring ass to get black asses in seats.

Well Ezra-flash seems a lot more youthful and energetic than silver age Barry ever was, I liked the comics but Barry had little personality. Modern Barry is an improvement but that depends on who's writing.

DCEU Flash seems like the young newcomer with the comic relief like he was in the DCAU. Comic Wally less so but I'm talking about cartoon Wally here.

>>The scope was also smaller than what's expected of a tentpole superhero movie. It is borderline character-driven and features relatively low stakes in comparison to the other DCEU movies that are all approaching world-ending threats.
fuck
this is what i wanted

It was garbage from the start. Dark and gritty work for batman, and it works for characters like Green Arrow, but for the Flash it was pretty shit.

this sounds so great.
fuck WB

Same. That's why I was excited when they announced Cold and Glider to be the villains. I knew we were getting a smaller scale story than the usual "end of the world" DCEU movies. Hope they keep some of these ideas for the final product.

ohh .. this boring shit again i dont care about..

Steel.

>The scope was also smaller than what's expected of a tentpole superhero movie. It is borderline character-driven and features relatively low stakes in comparison to the other DCEU movies that are all approaching world-ending threats.
Oh so it would have been good and WB couldn't stand that.

can they have steel without superman?

A superhero film without city/populace-damning risks in a genre where that's the norm?

I would've gladly paid to see that.

>tfw we will never have anything nice

I'm SO fucking tired of all this world ending bullshit.
Hell, in all 5 spider-man films he had to save the whole city or some shit, and Peter has always been a street level hero.

I want to see smaller scale threats; every comic isn't about some massive world or city ending catastrophe and every film doesn't need to be either.
Suicide Squad should have been smaller scale.
If every Hero can save the whole city on their own, why should they assemble for the JL/Avengers?

If the solo flicks were smaller scale, it'd make far more sense, and leave fewer questions about "well, where is Hero X during this event?"

They already did, with Shaq

>I want to see smaller scale threats

People want bigger scale stuff for movies, broheim. They want spectacle and big stakes, otherwise they feel cheated.

kek
i forgot about that.

they've been trained to want that. every cape film has been by and large the same, which is why TWS and CW were good, they gave us something different. (political/spy stuff)

Character driven cape we've still yet to recieve, and its not as if i'm saying the movie should FEEL small or overwhelming, I'm saying the scope should be smaller.

>only batman can be dark meme

I hate this fucking meme. Its like Batman got grandfathered in, since he had a dark movie, during the 80s, back when cape films were allowed to be dark.

>You live in the universe where Batman is a murderer, Superman threatens humans and killed all the Kryptonians, Wonder Woman isn't strong and intimidating, The Flash isn't fun and Green Lantern isn't around
Who the actual fuck approved of this DCCU?

I don't think it'd be the best ever like other people are saying, but it definitely sounded interesting, bar the obligatory Cyborg and Batman cameos.

I hope whatever comes out of this is just as good, but I won't hold my breath.

>>You live in the universe where Batman is a murderer,
Not anymore
>>Superman threatens humans and killed all the Kryptonians
Threatened....Lex Luthor and Batman, two people who can take it. The only Kryptonians he killed was Zod, the ones in the Codex weren't even "alive" they were just data really.
>>Wonder Woman isn't strong and intimidating
I think she is
>>The Flash isn't fun
Come on. All he's been so far is fun.
>>Green Lantern isn't around
I'll give you that one.

>>You live in the universe where Batman is a murderer,
proof on that?

>and Green Lantern isn't around

Maybe he's, you know, doing his fucking job and being in SPACE rather than policing on Earth with no jurisdiction.

Can we get proper casting now? no shit Iris

I generally like what he was going for, but I understand why it didn't go through. Hopefully we get a story like this someday, though.

Yes, warner brothers interfere in more of your movies development,drop several directors because they wont bow to the sudden changes you demand, that you "think" the audience wants off polls and retarded selected audiences. This hasn't backfired on you AT ALL in the past.

He's right. Co has been invaded by tumblr and black people. Shit fucking sucks. Comics used to be my safe space. I hate sjws and how much they're pandered to.

gotta need a source of that claim.

the newest TT animated movie was trash except for when they went for hell and Cyborg ate Pizza with the gang in the end.

throwing memes around with the other TT is not that bad, you can work with that.

Said movie had Damian, it was fucked from start.

Only time Cyborg will ever belong in a movie is if they make a Teen Titans Go movie

lol

Boo-yah indeed.

>putting Lisa in peril for Len angst AGAIN
>meta Snarts

>yfw they make cyborg say lets hit those showers to get the gen meme audience

Mr. Terrific 2, Because why not?

this

DC doesn't really own Static. He isn't an option.

>shame the film will most likely be a disappointment.
DC should of stuck to the DCAU and DC comics marvel on the other hand should stick to movies and tie in comics.

I actually really like this

Did you not see BvS? He shoots up a car full of people until it blows up, he miniguns some pickups until the blow up and he kills KGBeast. It counts as murder under the felony murder rule.

>Jerry McGee

Speed Demon confirmed?

I wonder how they would've gone about his origin story.

>
Simultaneously, Leonard Snart is climbing the ranks of the city's criminal underworld due to his timely precision and cold approach to heists. His sister Lisa is in a coma and Snart is trying to protect her from their father, decorated police officer Frank Snart, who works with Barry at the police station. A parallel is drawn in that while Barry's father Henry was wrongfully blamed for his wife's murder, Frank actually did kill his wife and abused his children, but used his resources to cover it all up.
I would've loved to see this, but this WB after all.

That is really interesting to me. Why hire good directors if you're going to meddle with everything and fuck it up. Ayer is a cool director but SS felt disjointed for probably the same reasons.

Snart is shit

>They've been polling selected audiences, testing predetermined scenes, and so far not only Cyborg is the member people seem less interested in, but as he's portrayed in JUSTICE LEAGUE he doesn't seem to be turning any heads either.

I don't really care about this movie anymore. How are the other Justice League members testing with audiences?

Well he's going to be the villain of this movie regardless of how you feel about the character. Sorry. I like him though.

think about this from an out of touch execs POV

>A: we need a black man on the league for diversity!

>B: what about...

>A: he can't have "Black" in his superhero name, or have electric powers.

>B: What about Green lantern? There was that black one, we could get Idris Elba to play him, people might like that

>A: No, that Reynolds Green Lantern was a flop. no green lantern.

>B: What about that Steel Guy?

>A: Who? Nobody knows who that is

>B: What about the Martian? We can make his human form a black guy

>A: No no, he's boring, his powers are too similar to Superman. And that's a cop out. people will think we are copping out of putting a "real" black person on the league.

>B: Well.. lets think about kids. That Teen Titans cartoon is pretty popular, there's that Cyborg guy.

>A: that's perfect! He's the new Leaguer. He'll be the tech guy!

well he aint a white (martian) either so what the hell is he

Do captain cold stole Mr freezes back story and iceman powers?

Not bad. I could see that as a Flash movie.

Do you really trust the current DCEU to create a good Teen Titans movie?

DC tv is the bomb

Why do they need one? Fucking divershitty.

Green.

>Simultaneously, Leonard Snart is climbing the ranks of the city's criminal underworld due to his timely precision and cold approach to heists. His sister Lisa is in a coma and Snart is trying to protect her from their father, decorated police officer Frank Snart, who works with Barry at the police station. A parallel is drawn in that while Barry's father Henry was wrongfully blamed for his wife's murder, Frank actually did kill his wife and abused his children, but used his resources to cover it all up.
I actually really like this.

The whole thing sounds pretty good, honestly. If so, this could be bad that Famuyiwa dropped out.

Fucking VIXEN?

Come on.

Let's put it as "brooding" then or whatever. I am sure you get what I mean anyway.
Flash can be "dark", sure. It's often times actually darker than Batman and many other properties to many people's surprise. But even when it is, it still doesn't carry itself with the same tone as the aforementioned works.

literally who

Seriously?

She's in Legends of Tomorrow, right?

Only thing about her is that her powers might be kind of redundant with WW already there.

Wait, people actually like and watch that garbage? lol.

:^^)

Deadpool was popular and when you get down it it was just a guy trying to get his girlfriend back from the badguy.