Conan: Born on the Battlefield

Hey Sup Forums, I bring to you one of my favorite comics from my childhood, with arguably the best arc of the whole series. This is Kurt Busiek's Conan, and this is how Conan came to be.

Now while I do love to share Conan with you all, I really really really do hate to do this, but I'm in a research methodology course at College and need to get some survey data for a teensy tiny no-personal-information-whatsoever measure that shouldn't take more than thirty seconds to complete. It would be an amazing favor to a fellow user if you could fill it out. I do apologize, I wouldn't ask this if my grade didn't depend on it, and I won't mention it again. Here is the link: uky.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8tR2AvQlD3eNA33

With that out of the way, let's dive into the earliest days of the most famous Sword & Sorcery icon of all time. Know, O Prince, that deep in the dark hills of Cimmeria, a king was born...

I hope you all are ready, we're in for a wild ride.

>Now while I do love to share Conan with you all, I really really really do hate to do this, but I'm in a research methodology course at College and need to get some survey data for a teensy tiny no-personal-information-whatsoever measure that shouldn't take more than thirty seconds to complete. It would be an amazing favor to a fellow user if you could fill it out. I do apologize, I wouldn't ask this if my grade didn't depend on it, and I won't mention it again

Well that took a bizarre turn.

We won't be joined by the regular series artist Cary Nord for this tale, instead we have Greg Ruth painting the pictures conjured up by R.E. Howard through Kurt Busiek

Yeah, I feel extra shitty for doing as such but I gotta do what I gotta do.

Welcome to your world, Conan

This story does a great job highlighting some of the best character traits about Conan. His fierce intelligence and insatiable curiosity at the world around him is really what makes Conan, Conan.

Done deal. Now bring on the epic adventures! I love this series, Busiek knocked it out of the fucking ballpark with this one.

I was eight years old when the series started publication, and I'm happy to say that it was chief among my pull-list at the time. I count myself extremely fortunate to have been following comics during it's run, I couldn't have stumbled upon better fantasy adventure fare if I tried.

This fuckin' kid

I'll be posting these letters pages & Robert E. Howard strips because dammit they're worth it.

Are there many books out there that still do letters pages, what with social media being as it is nowadays? I've become a tradewaiter of late.

Alright! We're continuing on with the second part of Born on the Battlefield, Conan #15.

This is probably the best compromise they could have done about the "born on the battlefield" bit. Perhaps it's what REH intended, but pregnant women fighting like regular people bothers me. They lose two Cimmerians if one is killed.

Yeah, depicting Conan's mother as an actual fighter in the fray at 8-9 months pregnant just doesn't work. There's a level of realism in REH's world where societies act like actual societies, and there's no way any group of people actual field very pregnant women in combat. Field nurse though? Works just fine.

No stopping here. On to part 3.

This should have been the basis for the reboot movie. The actors and designs were okay but the writing really brought it down.

Issue #4, we're past the half-way mark. Anyone still following along?

The Jason Momoa one? Yeah, I agree completely. Really, any of the early, concise arcs from this run would work.

It's disappointing that that movie had such a shit plot and writing, because Momoa really sold the role perfectly. The one moment where the writing lined up with how it should be was this bit in between the action where Conan's just being his big, grinning boisterous self at a port, picking up women by the armfuls and carousing about. That was good shit, way better than Arnold's interpretation. Well, for an instant.

I'unno, would you say Conan is at the point of ubiquity where a film wouldn't need be spent focusing on his origins, per se?

Dark Horse's first Conan volume was legit one of the best comics ever made.

>Kurt Busiek
>Cary Nord
>Dave Stewart
>Mike Mignola
>Timothy Truman

Such a good talent pool. Nord's artwork being just pencils with Stewart's colors right on top was also a truly inspired decision.

Most people don't even think Conan has a "origin".

Then fuck it, man. Just hop around and spend a movie adapting a single story or chunk of his life. Have a Tower of the Elephant story that also deals with his time as a thief to a good deal, stuff like that. Shit it's been written out so well for people one wouldn't think it'd be difficult.