Now that EmDrive may just work and we found

a fucking livable planet on Alpha Centauri 4.2 lightyears away, why in the world are we still at war and binge spend on the F-35... if we could strap those nice EMDrives on a fucking spaceship and go motherfucking colonize the galaxy?

Other urls found in this thread:

mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/science/alpha-centauri-breakthrough-starshot-yuri-milner-stephen-hawking.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because if we cloister ourselves in ivory towers and spend all our money on going to another planet, we won't be alive when we've gotten around to developing the technologies up to being usable.

You wanna get beheaded while doing calculus?

No one's stopping you Achmed. Strap that shit to a rocket, put a chair in it and soar into the sky

Lol, the TWR of the em drive is wayy below 1. It wouldn't even be able to lift itself off the ground

just use an MDMAship goy no need to develope science.

>why in the world are we still at war and binge spend on the F-35

because kikes like money

>Alpha Centauri

Proxima Centauri

>meme drive

As much as I want it to work, the EmDrive is horseshit and you know it

This
We have the Islamic Question that needs to be answered first, and I am a fucking staunch supporter of the space program

You put it in space with a regular rocket, then use it to go somewhere... Y'know, what with space not having a lot of friction in it.

It isn't confirmed that it even works, and I'm extremely hopeful. Don't get hyped yet. Honestly they just need to stick one on a cubesat and send it up with a payload soon. Just try it and see what happens. The potential benefits outweigh the cost.

It may be a case of when theory has to catch up to discovery.

First of all, the EMdrive is a meme and I'm not convinced.

Secondly, we're the only ones binge spending on F-35s. What's your excuse, Klaus?

>Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri was some kind of prophecy
which faction are you going to join Sup Forums?

There's a Solution to questions like those.

Any plan that would culminate in sending a rocket/whatever would be invalidated in like 20 years.
The first ones to fly would be greeted by a civilisation built there by people sent there after them in faster ships. In that case, why send them there at all?

The Knights of Kek

Because the Nazis didn't win WW2

Now humanity will descend into shit and we will be forced into another 1000 years of Islamic dark ages. The Chinese will pollute the planet to our species extinction.

EMdrive is only useful to help keep satellites in orbit and allow them to maneuver without needing fuel, because it has shit thrust.

Holy Poly! That's funny as fuck, you smart bastard!

>>Alpha Centauri
>Proxima Centauri
Don't be a nerd, nerd.

>What's your excuse, Klaus?
Well, hello, Burger, knock knock... haven't you seen the millions of Muslims coming to our door and wanting gibmees?

Meanwhile, your F-35 isn't even fucking needed.

Penn state astro undergrad here. There are plans to use an array of lasers that would be built/located on earth then be used to propel a mini solar sail to .20c. The payload would be a chip about the size of a quarter with a camera and transmitter. This craft could reach A. Centauri IN OUR LIFETIMES.

>because it has shit thrust.
What? It has good thrust. You can get to 0.2 light speed in like a year or so.

Noice.

>Actually believing this shit.

>This craft could reach A. Centauri IN OUR LIFETIMES.
And the fucking EMDrive could go there in our lifetimes AND fucking come back, by reach 0.8c outward and inwards. We could have a fucking mission which takes say 14 years. They be back and Letterman is still on air, I tell you buddy.

>What? It has good thrust. You can get to 0.2 light speed in like a year or so.

yeah and you have to decelerate for the same amount of time.

Sure if you consider 91.2 µN at 17 W which is about the same force as a grain of rice sitting on a table.

We first gotta confirm the state of the planet. All we know is it's size and that it lies in the habital zone. Thing could be a fucking Venus for all we know.

The engine works, yes. Electric propulsion in space isn't a meme or fiction, the theory is solid.

The problem is you have to propel mass. To do that, you need to invest enough force and slowly gain momentum.
To do THAT, you need your EM drive to either have a huge supply of propulsion matter on board, or manage to develop a device that produces a fucking huge ion scoop. This is and always have been the main problem, and will take some time to solve.

I've seen a few threads about EM drives on Sup Forums, it's sad how everybody don't have a clue what the fuck this thing is even, and start throwing clickbait-level headlines as "facts".

Because if we do that we'll miss the coming global race war

No one is confirming shit. It really amazes me how a bunch of numbers and computer simulations some NASA nerd makes in his mum's basement can convince people of this utter bollocks.

>missing the point of reactionless thrust

Nah you can do pure energy as the propellant but the force of it is tiny. Way better to use energy to accelerate matter as the propellant.

See you later, space Cowboys

I don't understand what you're getting at. We'd literally be sending a camera to take pictures

>why in the world are we still at war and binge spend on the F-35
Because killing Muslims is better for the long-term future of mankind than is pursuing a physically impossible technology that memed its way through peer review by a fluke.

That's not how it works faggots. The break through is that this shit would allow propulsion without fuel. Think less traveling to other solar systems and more cheaper satellite, visiting mars, and asteroid mining.

It's not a FTL drive dumbass, and without FTL technology it would take years to visit even the closest star.

>he fell for the SSTO meme

Ya, gonna send a camera 4 light yrs away? Cool.

>Without fuel

kek. Good one. It takes 850W to produce a tiny force. Even if it's reactionless (without propellant) it will still take fuel to power.

a rule for the new planet- NO NIGGERS

dot talk about this space shit, i cant afford to waste my shitposting time playing stellaris.

We can't do this until we're off the current economic (monetary) system. Then answer is in your question.

For immediate progress, we would need to start making use of complete automation.

>yeah and you have to decelerate for the same amount of time.
So?

You get to 0.2c, or let's make it easier 0.5c in say 2 years. Then you stay on that speed for 6 years and then you decelerate for 2 years - 10 years time and you just flew 4.3 light years and are IN A FUCKING DIFFERNET STAR SYSTEM BONES!

>We space opera now

What a time to be alive

>what is reactionless propulsion

Read up on what the EMDrive exploits to gain thrust.

Nope. We'll use fuel to get into orbit but this drive could help prevent orbital decay or even increase orbit slowly over time. Those problems are still a big pain in the ass for us, we have to send rockets up to the ISS every few years to prevent it from crashing down.

So instead of burning fuel every months or so and having to replace them we'll just exert a force from the EM drive equal to the atmospheric drag

I still don't see your point

A satellite using its solar panels could use it to do orbit correction by applying a little thrust over long periods. It would greatly lengthen the life expectancy of satellites which are dependant on internal fuel otherwise.

Eli5 on em drive?

How do I downboat this comment?

Because no human has left the earths atmosphere and lived to tell about it.

Quit believing the lies

Haha, they're still using money.

Converts electricity to thrust in vacuum, which should be physically impossible.

Because someone needs to be the first.

this

based pedro gets it

space travel is a hoax. its that simple.

My point is what are you basing your belief in this bullshit on?

>Bones
>4444

The EmDrive is a scam. It's not getting us anywhere.

>0.000001 N have been deposited in your account

Its thrust, presuming it actually works, is God tier because it doesn't need reaction mass to generate it. That small continuous acceleration would be paradigm shifting in terms of making interstellar travel a reality. Even transit within our own solar system would be vastly more practical.

>being this optimistic
You're on Sup Forums, your optimism should be long dead.

Brought to my attention by my professor who studies exoplanets. If you also just google it you'll find multiple articles.

>SSTO
yea no, you deliver them via lifters, then utilize them.
The whole ISS wasn't one launch either.

Holy quads

Plus, it's still to see if the design/efficiency can still be improved, squeezing out more than micronewtons of thrust.

Thrust? Lol how? How is thrust a form of energy?

From my understanding we have already drawn up some plans to FTL drives that would work in theory.

Problem is we do not know how to shield our ships and stop the drive from simple shooting out of the ship.

It works, they just can't explain how. Basically, they found this phenomenon, while comparing nominam and real course of ISS, it differed insignificantly like seconds of difference.

We have to stop supporting niggers

Jews can't control us once we're off this rock, that's why they'll never let us leave

Lol, nevermind. You're not getting it.

And other forms of propulsion don't?

The difference is that the em drive can stay turned on and ultimately push craft to those high speeds. Conventional propulsion is limited by the mass of its reaction fuel.

Here's my take on it;

Let's say that the MemeDrive works, and in simple terms uses electricity to generate thrust via microwaves in a cone shaped structure.

We would be able to generate the required electricity by other means, say nuclear engines or so which should take up a lot less space than filling half a space ship with fuel to keep it going.

This would at least revolutionize current, local space travel and allow us to take direct control of our solar system eventually.

money is arbitrary you retard. if humans collectively want to colonize another planet for our own survival, it will be done

Shlomo you missed the innovation of the EMdrive, buddy

Exactly which is why I kept asking you for clarification. But you keep giving me vague smug replies.

Stop holding the planet back then you filthy kike

we can get there in 50 years traveling at 0.0841 speed of light

Well your cited evidence that this is actually a real thing was "my professor told me"and "there's articles about it". In other words, you have none.

>Now that EmDrive may just work
lmao

First result on Google
mobile.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/science/alpha-centauri-breakthrough-starshot-yuri-milner-stephen-hawking.html

It's not some super secret insider project that I pulled out of my ass.

Why are you being so difficult

>sorry, can't do it, being cucked is more important

I like our excuse better, even if it is the F-35

Did I hint anywhere that I didn't believe there are articles about it? An article is merely a report on something - not evidence or proof of anything.

LOL I just clicked on the computer simulation video of Alpha Centauri at the top of this article. Like I said, it really does baffle me how a bunch of computer simulations and photoshop images made by some NASA geek in his mum's basement can fool the world.

>a fucking jew spreading misinformation
It doesn't use chemical propulsion, Shlomo.

And then you discover that all the planets are desolate shitholes because Earths are one in a million, something breaks and it takes a decade for any backup and everyone dies and nobody ever does this again

This universe was not made for our benefit

Don't be an anti-intellectual cuck, Mohammed.

I decided not to even reply, seeing the responses that demonstrate my point.
>chemical propulsion
where the fuck did i even say that, god damn, burgers are so fucking stupid.

>And then you discover that all the planets are desolate shitholes

That is why we build a fucking big telescope here first to check out those planets first. It's like if Columbus could just look over the ocean to America and check out all the islands and shit before he even set a toe into the ocean.

you could say the Solution would be the Final one :^)

Gotta hand it to these eggheads, they come up with great ideas, but their manufacturing abilities are absolute shit.

"Hey we need a stand for this to display it to the world"

"I got a couple chunks of badly cut waste wood ends and the remnants of a hacksaw."

"Perfect, this will look real nice when its done"

As long as they leave my circles alone I'm just fine.

You've gotta be fucking kidding me with this perpetual motion horseshit. Stop using logic wrong.

Neither can ion drives. The point of them is fuel efficiency.

People have an unreasonable preconceived notion that science does not know anything when it gives them answers they don't like,

so to most folks, spectroscopy wouldn't prove anything either way, because humans are dumb and did not evolve to discover truths on their own.

Doesn't matter either way. Space is only good for esoteric trivia to base a phd thesis on, oh and satellite communication networks. That's it.

Ion drives are more efficient than this EM drive, that's the point.

but they require fuel, whereas an EM drive can operate indefinitely as long as you have electricity
that's the whole point

A pity it does not and can not work.

Put one in orbit and have it change its orbit several times and i'll admit to being wrong.

Until then, imma stick with the conservation of momentum being a fundamental constant of the universe, no matter what that embarrassment of nasa, harold white, has to say about it.

Why the fuck is there so much opposition to the EMDrive? Yes, it violates the Third Law, but we also used to believe that light travelled through fucking aether. I've never seen so much backlash to this - the guy who made it is being called a crank, is having his career trashed, is being compared to cult leaders.
We have the empirical evidence. We just need to send it to space and test it, which is fucking nothing. Why the hell is there such opposition? Who's preventing this being further tested? Jews, perhaps? Maybe they want to stop white people escaping earth?