So all this talk about the Dr Strange movie got me thinking

So all this talk about the Dr Strange movie got me thinking

I know it's a meme to give Reed Richards a hard time for not curing cancer and world hunger and stuff by now, but isn't Strange like 100x more guilty of this?

Considering the kind of power he wields, couldn't he just ABRACADABRA and solve pretty much every problem on earth and create a utopia?

He literal job is keeping things in check as far as magic is concerned. As to what those "checks" are and who put them in place, I don't know.

Almost all the outside help other than fighting monsters comes at a cost.

He has to keep shit in check and balanced or else, I don't know, Oblivion fucks everything or Dormammu starts eating planets or some shit.

Someone post that long web-comic of Superman using his powers exclusively for mundane practical societal fixing then after 100+ years he's a corpse in a museums and labeled
>Superman: a transitory power-source

Super beings with immense power aren't responsible for fixing every micro-problem in society, it's the same logic why every single human doesn't become a doctor or scientist despite having the ability to learn those things and work exclusively for the betterment of the world.

In Marvel, cancer is like universal entropy, not real cancer

Because then nobody will flip my Mcdouble and serve me up an extra large fries with it

>See: Dark Knight Returns: Flash

Running on a treadmill eternally to give the world "Free Energy" is a hellish way to live

What about Whor and Mar-Vell?

Even though you didn't say please

For who? The 1 guy running or the BILLIONS with free energy?

that's not the way magic works

>well how does magic work
there's the problem

For the bored readers and comic book stores in a market where "ISSUE #10, BRINGING IRRIGATION TO AFRICA" exists.

I'd read that

I would buy it off of you when you're done reading

>Considering the kind of power he wields, couldn't he just ABRACADABRA and solve pretty much every problem on earth
His magic has always been more about manipulating universal and other-dimensional energies from various beings and powers, and from his own human mystical potential. It's not pulling rabbits out of hats or just speaking some words and the whole universe just changes, unless someone can show me an example of that. That's more like Scarlet Witch or Zatanna.

Sure, I'd remain with the other three variant covers

You woke up this morning without Cthulhu turning the sky to black tar and the oceans to blood as his screams drove all humanity to homicidal madness...

And did you thank your Sorcerer Supreme for that today?

Magic is a tempermental bitch and always comes at a cost. Like, Strange might be able to cure cancer but it would probably give everyone squid dicks for arms or sterilize an entire generation or make them into I Am Legend zombie vampires or something.

His, arguably, most popular story is about him finding the cure for cancer. It doesn't go well. Unlike with the superscientists Strange can't do that because the rules say he can't. There is a rather vague rule that says "magic can't do anything technology can" or something along those lines.

Unlike Reed he has much bigger issues he specifically as the Sorcerer Supreme is the one to constantly be dealing with, he doesn't have the same time for mundane society.

Plus magic is more than just waving your hands and saying "abracadabra" as if that would solve all the world's problems.

Vaughn's a hack, news at 11.
Seriously I don't dislike his writing but fuck The Oath.

entropy because the universe wants them dead

This.

>ctrl+f
>The Oath
>0 results

thanks Sup Forums for ruining this board.

Read The Oath, it is a great story that talks about this subject.

Vaughn isn't the one who made up that rule. I think it goes back to the 60's era, although I'm not 100% sure. What exactly are yur problems with the Oath?

The problem when you create a world based on the abilities of a single guy, it's that the world will only last as long as said guy.

I'm assuming got posted while you were typing. does not use the words The Oath so your search wouldn't have picked it up, the best thing to do is read the thread before posting just in case.

If you knew you could make the entire world a much better place and the cost was your own happiness and well-being, would YOU do it?

Thank you, Doctor Shitpost.

Yeah, that rule ruined The Oath for me. Still entertaining, but it's such a constrained and forced story point that I feel it should be best left ignored. I understand that character like Strange need to have some sort of limitations to their powers but surely they could've came up with something better than that horse shit.

Also is Cucumberlizard going bald? I noticed his hairline as of late looks mighty fucked up in interviews and etc, in the movie it just looked slightly odd. In this close up it's just all the more evident with his face all bulging like that. No offense to the guy, but on looks alone they should've went with another guy to play the Doc. Timothy Olyphant was my number one pick on that criteria. Also Bendydick isn't nearly half as charismatic as he or his fanbase think he is, considering he got outstaged by the fucking carpet from Aladin cosplaying as the Cloak of Levitation

Yes.

There are literal monsters outside of the universe who want to eat us and Dr. Strange abides by a series of treaties and oaths that keep them from doing so.

That is a Sorcerer Supreme's job. Keeping Them out.

Marvel magic DOES have a way it works, though, Joe Q aside.

You make pacts with spirits outside of the universe. Those are the guys Strange calls on when he's calling on Ikonn or the Faltine or, in real early adventures, Dormammu himself. They lend you power in exchange for some cosmic equity-they get ups for their spells just being USED, and if you use a powerful enough spell they can call in that favor. Plus if you don't have a proper mentor or source of power like Niko's staff they can fuck you over in exchange for magic lessons.

In the biggest case of Bendis Not Getting It, the dude made Strange stop invoking the extrauniversial entities and just use scribbles of magic words or wave his hands when he can get away with it. Drives me mad. Fortunately he seems to be going back to proper Strange magic.

It was a bad rule and most Strange writers ignore that because Strange can fly and science can let people fly.

A better reason would've been that magic couldn't cure things like science can because its MAGIC; it treats Wong's cancer in a way incompatible with modern scientific thought, requiring Strange's spirit quest.

Benedict has the high english forehead and hairline.

Even their women have it.

Doom talked about this to Amara in recent Iron Man issues, if magic is used to fix such things, the trade-offs will possibly be worse than what was cured

>I'm keep in' it warm with my face!

fucking lost it

in a way, strange decides to do just this in the movie voluntarily getting killed over and over again by Dormammu in a time loop in order to keep the dark dimension from destroying earth. It could have been hours before Dormammu gave up, but it also could have been months or even years.

What Strange have you read besides it and that pic, out of curiosity?

That's why god gave man free will.

Whatever trades I can get my hands on. Mostly late 60's-75ish. I do have a few of the abysmal 90's Strange storylines. I also have Season One and am looking on getting my hands on Fever. I have the starter kit collectin, but I don't have a cord for my portable hard drive at the moment. I've been a fanboy since I first saw him in Spider-Man TAS and since then he has been my absolute favorite cape.

Dr.Strange couldn't even cure an old ladies bullet wound.

Thanks for letting One More Day happen, Dr.Strange, you dick.