Why is this show always either an A++ or F? Seriously, I've never heard any moderate opinions...

Why is this show always either an A++ or F? Seriously, I've never heard any moderate opinions. It's either the best thing that has happened to western animation since Adventure Time or an assault on humanity as a whole. Is it really that polarizing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/z1d81nM2Otk?t=376
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Besides some shippers assblasted their ships arent cannon or people being homophobic or extremly anti tumblr, its even better then adventure time. Cuz around this time in adventure times lifetime, it was going to shit fast.

The number one problem in SU is that they don't know how to effectively blend slice-of-life stories with their scifi adventure. It's always either all one or all the other. Episodes that take place in Beach City should be a completely separate cartoon from magical space battles with alien hologram people. I get fucking whiplash every time this show is like "here have some drama involving a family in the next town over that has NOTHING TO DO with our protagonists or their story or plot or literally anything. got all that? okay now let's talk about galactic genocide." I'm sick of it. Get rid of everyone in Beach City and just give us the fucking story.

Ok, here's a moderate opinion.
I enjoy the show, and think it's good, but it's certainly not for everyone and I understand that. While it is one of the best cartoons for children currently running, it has flaws.

it's alright

>The number one problem in SU is that they don't know how to effectively blend slice-of-life stories with their scifi adventure.
Im one of this board biggest fans of SU and even i understand this. However i can still enjoy townie for what it is, im just happy to get any new steven universe when it comes on.

Its also been running on for a bit too long. Seems to be cannibalizing itself a bit.

I dont think its been on too long. More like it has been running the same arc too long and needs to explore the galaxy

ITT we explain what's wrong with SU by accurately summarizing episodes that illustrate why Steven needs the living shit beat out of him.

>wastes thousands of dollars of his father's money to manipulate two adults into an uncomfortable conversation

I'm going to be honest, I hate Steven Universe and I've never seen a single episode, and can't bring myself to watch a single episode

And the main reason is his nose

It's so horrible to look at, I just can't stand it

He shouldve fucked pearl at the end. Anyone else felt cheated when she became horny for that inferior rose KO instead?

I think its fucking adorable, but i havent watched things just because i thought the animation was shit too

>"I want to help! I want to fix things! I want to face my mother's past head on and repair all her mistakes! Starting with you! Just kidding I'll just kill you again and keep pretending you don't exist."

I didn't mind the mystery girl that much, but that episode should have come BEFORE Mr. Greg.

Honestly I'm kind of neutral about it. I want to like it, but the pacing is so awful it overshadows all the other positives. You CAN probably tell the kind of story they want to tell (slice of life with science fiction/fantasy), but not like this.

>but that episode should have come BEFORE Mr. Greg.
Any reason why?

I get some of the criticisim, but im just glad theirs something funny to watch that i can waifu the shit out of. Not to sound like tumblr, but this and a few other things are the only things i have left to live for.

>I'll just kill you again and keep pretending you don't exist."
Dude, that was self defence and he did the opposite of pretending she didn't exist.

>I didn't mind the mystery girl that much, but that episode should have come BEFORE Mr. Greg.
What? No!

Mr Greg is the episode where Pearl finally get closure and can move one and she does in Mystery girl.

Rebounds are a thing.

Mr. Greg was about Pearl accepting Rose's 'death' , and also getting over Rose choosing Greg over her.

To have Pearl chasing after a hueg lady with pink hair after that kind of development makes the whole Mr. Greg thing seem meaningless.

He had no reason to bubble her after he poofed her. He should have waited until she regenerated and tried to work things out again. It was obvious by the time she poofed that she understood his situation and was grateful for his sentiments.

Manipulation require secrecy. He was rather upfront about that. If this is manipulation, then every human interaction is.

>He had no reason to bubble her after he poofed her.
Dude, she just tried to kill him.

>To have Pearl chasing after a hueg lady with pink hair after that kind of development makes the whole Mr. Greg thing seem meaningless.
No, it doesn't, quite the opposite, it's actually a proof that she is moving on. It's just a rebound.

before Mr Greg, Pearl wouldn't even have considered dating someone else.

Pearl doesn't see the Mystery Girl as Rose, so I don't see it being the case.

He poofed and bubbled her because she proved that she was too dangerous to work with. She was not going to be convinced to not shatter homeworld gems. She honestly believed that Garnet Amethyst and Pearl were completely deluded into believing that Rose was dead. Bismuth was just Jasper from a different point of view. Someday they may try to release her again and give her another chance, but they need to know the homeworld threat is over first.

>Why is this show always either an A++ or F?
Because the show is mediocre as fuck and the people judging it is either easily impressed or never impressed.

Personally, everything was great at first because it had an air of mystery with it's lore that keeps on popping up every now and then. I couldn't tell you how hard I got when it was hinted that the Crystal Gems may not exactly be the good guys. As the show passed on it just wasted it's time doing nonsense, Bismuth, a possible game-changer, got shelved in just 2 episodes. I barely now have the drive to keep on watching really.

I watch SU but I'm mad it's not as good as it could be.

Because that's how much it varies over the course of a season

This. They bubbled her to return to the "status quo", but that isn't how Steven does things. He'd just wait for her to regenerate, and talk her to his side of things. It's what he does. To stop it, gems have to literally corrupt themselves COUGH***JASPER***COUGH.

I personally love the show but hate when it starts throwing gay shit and women shit in your face real hard, leave that stuff subtle.

>That guy tried to hit on me he's literally Hitler

It's more like it opened as an A miniseries and was then consistently B afterwards.

It's not that Kevin was hitting on her, it's the fact that he was being a huge dick and referring to himself as an angel among garbage people. Even then, Steven got over his hatred of him the next episode Kevin showed up. What doesn't make sense about the whole thing is why Steven hated him for being a dick at all, but seems perfectly fine with Lars being an asshole to him all the time

Lars is not always an asshole though. That's why Steven likes him.

Steven is mad because he felt Connie's fear and uncomfortableness. Steven is fine when people hurt him, but not loved ones.

That's kind of what I figured as well. Seeing as he was hitting on Sevonnie, that means Kevin was hitting on Steven's girl by extension. I'd like to see the show actually go somewhere with that.

I agree that in general the Kevin thing does seem out of place. Steven is willing to talk things out and to forgive genocidal space hitlers, the hate for Kevin compared to how centered he normally is does seem a bit much.

And in answer to the OP's question, the internet is just the home of hyperbole. Everything is either the best ever or the worst ever when you talk about it online. Anyway, I don't know about "A+++," but I like the show a great deal but am willing to acknowledge that it has flaws. I think what it really needs is longer run-times so plot resolutions don't get rushed through so quickly on the rare times that they do come.

>Peridot
>genocidal space hitler

She looks just like Rose and don't pretend that that wasn't the point of her character.

Just because she looks similar to Rose, doesn't mean she is Rose, mang. What do you think is the point of her character?

Now that I have your attention, get this:

The story is made on the spot, the creators don't really know what to do with the Gems story so that's why you get sooooo many episodes about the town people that could have been solved with a conversation.

If you think about it, that's why when they set up a big threat like Jasper, Malachite, the Cluster, etc those things get solved in like one episode and they don't even do something special or that different to solve those problems!

They could have been on a vacation on the beach all that time and just write it so they already have a drill

Sugar had plans for the show through season 5

>What do you think is the point of her character?

That she looks like Rose so Pearl will fall for her because she looks like Ross, and if she comesback Pearl is going to date her because she looks like Rose and then they are going to break up because she looks like Rose.

Does it look like she had a plan?wasn't the season finale was some random shit?

For the record. Mystery girl isn't Rose. Mystery Girl is a human. Pearl doesn't even treat her like she would treat Rose.

So what if she resembles Rose? Did anyone expect Pearl to get hooked on a HUMAN of all things

I mostly agree with you that Pearl's attraction towards MG is because of her resemblance to Rose, up until the last point at least. But I think you give too much focus on the MG's resemblance to Rose, mostly because Pearl doesn't treat her Rose.

This, the concept/plot is amazing, the execution and pandering are fucking horrible. Even if you really try because you want to, it's difficult to tolerate. So the only rabid fans are your typical lesbian tumblr shippers who are willfully blind to the bad writing/pacing because it's progressive.

Also it tries to be an anime in all of the ways it shouldn't. Anime is badly written/paced but not generally *on purpose*

Each episode is either boring af slice of life or actually interesting and fun adventure. I'm sad that they no longer go out and explore temples, that was my favorite part.

I was actually surpised at how much I instantly hated this show. I watched quite some episodes to try and get into it but I just hate it. So much.

I hate the 'art', I hate the voice acting, I hate the story, I hate Steven and his Paki girlfriend, I loathe fatty purple gem, I hate the writing, and I hate the praise the show gets despite of all that.

I never had this reaction to a show before that wasn't like....The Nutshack or something obviously terrible. I dunno what to tell you, there is something about SU that really gets on people's nerves.

It's written by a literal Jewish Tumblr feminist, if anything it's a plus that you've been baited. It's understandable to acknowledge that it being biased is a flaw in itself, but to be biased in the opposite way isn't any kind of helpful critique.

Your opinion is very bad.

I don't even know what you're trying to say. OP asked for opinions and I gave mine.

Steven Universe is one of, maybe 4?, cartoons currently airing committed to world-building and a serious plot which is what makes it so popular. It also has a really strong liberal leaning which results in further polarization of opinions.

Overall its just so-so. Protagonist is weak-willed and dull, but glorified for some reason. Supporting cast is fairly strong and essentially carries the entire show. Setting is its strongest point, although the actual plot arcs and resolutions are somewhat subpar. Character design is good, even if i'm not a big fan of the painfully light palette.

Basically it boils down to the fanbase being so fucking annoying that you either join them or want them to die.

How is Steven in any way weak willed?

I admit that maybe that wasn't the best wording, sorry. Maybe someone can explain it better than I can. Hes just such a huge fucking pansy that I want to see him get bullied really badly.

I think you mean innocence, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but considering he's 14 and all the shit he's been through I could understand why you'd want him to toughen up and understand how the real world works.

this. Kevin is pretty clearly meant to be a goofy one-dimensional character for now. That made-up story about his sick brother was meant to joke about how everyone other character has some grief/frustration except him. He thrives off of Stevonnie's attention and only got truly upset when he was being ignored.

What people really don't like was how hamfisted Steven's anger seems. His dialogue didn't feel natural because the writers were using him as a mouthpiece for the times they felt uncomfortable because of some drunk dudebro at a party.

That being said, I love Kevin's unapologetic antagonism and I hope to see him more.

Does it look like she had a plan?

Yes, look at the diamonds. Pink Diamond was only mentioned onscreen fairly recently and White Diamond still hasn't been mentioned at all. Sugar's clearly playing the long game

I can't help but feel that something about the show was lost with the Lapis two-parter.

Season 1 is practically a completely different show.

But I've really stopped enjoying large portions of the show after Return/Jailbreak.
Townie episodes became an absolute slog after the plot escalated. Garnet feels like less of character and more of vehicle for fusion. Fusion became to much of a focus. The show is painfully and obviously building Stevonnie to being Steven's final form while it feels like he himself isn't really progressing.

It's a shit cartoon, that is.
You are right about everything. The art is shit, the story is meh and cringy, there's no actual character development and characters are just walking stereotypes and the humor is not funny, it's just quirky for the sake of it.
I really can't understand why this shit get so much praise because ''the representation of gay people'' and I really can't stand that thjere's always a fuckton of /su/ threads. Really there's the general, then bait threads like this one and ''camouflaged'' threads like ''post your waifu'' and op pic is /su/ related.
I mean, you sufags have a general. Isn't that enough for you or you want an entire board like /mlp/?

I think I could tolerate Steven if the plot didn't suck his dick so much.

The Lars episode was just infuriating. A 16 year old kid acting like Steven does is creepy. Steven looks like hes 10, so its (supposed) to be cute, but its not cute when an almost-adult acts like a retarded sperglord. The worst part was how the show played it up as if Lars should behave like this and everyone would like him better if he were just a hyperactive little bitch.

Everyone agrees that the Lars episode sucked, but that was more on the writers than Steven as a character.

I dont know, I'm a sucker for a well meaning kid, and thats exactly who Steven is. He just wants to protect Earth and live his life.

I watched it for the first time yesterday and it does have some glaring flaws; some of the character designs are garish, occasionally the animation gets a little too floaty, especially during fight scenes. Scene transitions are occasionally jarring, and sometimes the dialogue feels pretty unnatural. Also, Steven is pretty annoying and would be better as a side character.

That being said, shit like is either pure shitposting to get a reaction, or it's written by someone who's gotten to the age that they really shouldn't be watching cartoons anymore.
Despite "Le CalArts" meme, some of the designs are legitimately unique and interesting and there are some moments where characters do have good interaction.

SU is pretty decent for what it is. I wouldn't say it deserves all of the praise it gets, but I wouldn't say it deserves all of the hate, either.

/blog

We also know literally nothing about blue beyond what we saw in the answer. Not much.

SU is just okay, in my opinion. it's not terrible, it's a nice cartoon, but it's really boring sometimes. it's very hit or miss. The comedy and slice of life aspects are really okay, and the actual plot is kinda... eh. It's just okay.

I think the reason the CGs kept Bismuth bubbled is because they can't be completely sure she won't attack then, and Garnet and Pearl can't beat having to fight her.

Though what I'm really mad about is how badly they explained the situation, like they didn't mention the Corruption, the Cluster, or how the only reason there's still a planer is because Steven convinced Peridot to defect. They act like the war didn't end for five thousand years.

>ce. Steven is willing to talk things out and to forgive genocidal space hitlers,
And so did it with Kevin.

Why do most people forget that Stevonnie was ready to forget to Kevin the moment he told him his little sad story about his brother?

Why do most people forget how angry Steven was when he thought Peridot had betrayed her trust?

Everything is in character.

it's garbage

>he hate for Kevin compared to how centered he normally is does seem a bit much.

He was ready to forgive Kevin when he heard his sad story and got upset when he thought Peridot betrayed them again.

Only it turned out that Kevin was lying and Peridot was still on their side

youtu.be/z1d81nM2Otk?t=376

two guys tear into Gem Drill for its asspull explanation for how they stopped the cluster

i mean they really rip it to shreds

>Character design is good
SU honestly has some of the ugliest, least appealing character designs I've ever seen in almost any media.

>deliberately changing the writers credited
for what purpose

Its because those who see it as meh don't feel he need to either promote or voice there dislike of the show.