Was Mad ever actually funny in the past or did kids in the 50's-70's just have nothing better to laugh at?

Was Mad ever actually funny in the past or did kids in the 50's-70's just have nothing better to laugh at?

Other urls found in this thread:

gilbertpodcast.com/dick-debartolo-al-jaffe/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Your sense of humor evolves as you get older, what was funny then to you might not be funny now.

Simple dumb slapstick or toilet humor probably put you in stitches when you were rather young, but doesn't seem funny at all now.

It wasn't made for kids, it was for adults.

I had Mad Kids ten years ago and I liked that. It wasn't aa good as Nick Magazine or Disney Adventures but was fun. My library carries Mad and it's mildly amusing.

I used to read Mad and Cracked magazines and I once jerked off to a section in Mad called "A mad look at nudity"

>jerked off to mad magazine

surprisingly easy

both

I was trying to think, didn't Mad have like a buxom blonde reporter character? I keep trying to think of what here name was, but I keep jumping to little annie fanny, which was by kurtzman, but wasn't Mad.

MadMagazine has gone on record admitting the best Mad Magazine ever is the first one you read, then they become gradually more and more not funny.

tl;dr: Even they admit they don't have staying power with any particular audience, but there's always people who never read it before.

The first mad i read wasnt that funny to me when i was 13

That was Cracked. I forgot the name of the character though.

50's Mad during the comic era is pretty good, even if you don't get the humor there's enough in the art to learn from. 50's-60's-70's Mad Magazine era has its merits as well even if it could get formulaic.

Nice try, you're not satan.

>not jerking it to that one pic in the paperback about hobbies

Mad Magazine is not funny, or at most funny in a newspaper strip kind of way. It's old people humor.

Which I guess was young people humor back in the day.

Kurtzman era Mad was utterly brilliant. Stuff after that was kind of formulaic and filled with reprints. I remember reading Mads from the 80's that had content from the 60/70's thrown in.

uh oh

I was more of a fan of National Lampoon than Mad. Although I always did enjoy Don Martin's artwork.

Does anyone know if there are any good compilations of the 60s-80s issues? Pdfs, books or anything? My magazines are old, incomplete and falling apart.

good occasional fap material, this is stuff that my library offered

They used to have a Mad about the 60's/70's/80's/90's collection back in the 90's and 00's but I think they may be out of print.

Spy vs. Spy always gave me some giggles.

I have all the issues in pdf from 1953 to 2005.

Want me to mega them or something?

I would read the spy vs spy and throw everything else out.

magic eye was the shit.

Mad was the closet thing they had to chan culture.

Everything we see on the chans today, would be in MAD if the internet didn't exist.

There was a couple softcover 'best-of' compilation books.

Mad about the 60's

Mad about the 70's

They might still be available.

Yeah that was it.

please

>It wasn't made for kids, it was for adults

Well, yeah. The target audience for Mad was jaded college students.

>satan.
Satan?

>tfw dem Sergio Aragones lewd cartoons

This, MAD was my Sup Forums in elementary and middle school

>Tonight at Finochios
Heh.

>Mascot is a blatant Irish caricature.
>Everyone is completely fine with this.
It seems kind of bizarre in this generation.

>it's not gay if

As a Brit, I picked up a copy of MAD when I was on holiday in Florida as a kid, I thought it was pretty good. I've picked up three or four issues when I've come across them in comic shops since then.

Same, actually.
I even remember the issue I got.

Damn.... good question.

Back when I was a kid there were so few options of entertainment that Mad was an oasis amid crap TV and printed media dedicated to comedy.

I haven´t touched an issue for several years. I guess if I encountered one, I probably wouldn´t buy since there are so many options on the web. And if I bought it, I would feel just mildly entertained.

This was my first. It had a parody of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, a strip making fun of Amy Winehouse, and it had the word "wanking" in one of the comics, that was a right laugh.

Lighter Side of..., Spy vs. Spy, and fold-ins were worth a chuckle. The movie parodies were terrible though.

Good times.

Humor changes like clothes styles. Things that looked great in the 80s look silly now.
Take radom comedy movies like Airplane! ,Kentucky Fried Movie or Naked Gun. The movie were great at the time but this type of jokes only work if they are new and get you off guard.

We also had Mad magazines in Mexico. They used local artists works in addition to the comic strips from the USA version. Used to read them when I was young. Unfortunately, the company with the publishing right stopped from nowhere...in a MAD style too.

I found a torrent with the content from the same DVD-ROM I copied.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:OENK32O63TZCCKO5JT3CLYXFXL7YV7MG

Airplane! and Naked Gun are masterpieces faggot, if anything modern """comedy""" films are either low brow trash that would try and fail when put up against an older sitcom like Married With Children, or slow awkward autist garbage that wants you to laugh at people acting genuinely autistic (and not in a full retard way, just quite and wierd).

I actually got a bunch of these a few weeks ago. They're all from the 60s yet they read the same as the stuff from the 90's I remember when I was a kid.

Yeah, that's the thing about it. It was great back in those days for that reason. Nowadays with the internet being the way it is and with stuff like Simpsons, Family Guy, Daily Show, etc it's just kind of seen as the elder statesman. I mean it's cool that Al Jaffee is still doing the fold-in and Sergio Aragones is still doing comics but if other stuff tries to be edgy and biting it doesn't fit because everyone else is already being edgy and biting.

What?

I was more into the drawings than the funny shit. Especially those splash pages of movie parodies. It was like those I Spy books.

Mainly cause Berg, Martin, and Prohias were pretty consistent with their stuff. Prohias passed away in the late 90's and Berg and Martin passed away in the early 00's.

Also Gilbert Gottfried's interview with Al Jaffee and Dick DeBartolo is pretty good to listen to: gilbertpodcast.com/dick-debartolo-al-jaffe/

Post your first MAD

Here's mine. I remember loving the old "Take a picture of a celebrity holding the magazine and win a free yearly subscription" contest they had every issue, and ended up even carrying an issue with me at all times for a brief period, in case if I ever did stumble across someone famous.

Don't be mad at me. I just pointed out that the mainstream humor changed. It's not like modern humor has no audience.

Never thought I'd see Gilbert's podcast mentioned anywhere.

It's still better than SJW Cracked. Seriously anybody with a brain knows Cracked was nothing more then a shitty knockoff.

I'm sure I probably read one before this, but it's the first one I saw that I immediately remembered the accompanying strips.

Magazine Cracked was okay. And online site Cracked was decent as first.

But it really, really went to shit over the past what, three or so years?

It's sad when someone does an article this year that amounted to "the entire Arrested Development show is all a fantasy in George Sr's head" when people were already making fun of them for making articles like that.

Who did this Fractured image? Cause they were fucking dead-on about that site.

Cracked magazine was indeed a copycat, yes, but of the MAD copycats it held up on it's own well enough. Cracked.com has absolutely no connection to the magazine beyond the name and logo, and it's decline into far-left moral busybodying only happened in the past two or three years. Before that it was irreverent and didn't take anything seriously.

Calm down user, he wasn't saying what you just implied he was.