"The Batman" (2018) script a mess

>“I was having dinner with a couple of executives who know other executives who are working on the [forthcoming] Batman movie, The Batman,” Ellis tells me. “And they were just telling me that there are serious problems with the script. And that the executives I was having dinner with were complaining about people who work on the Batman movie. And they just said they went to the studio and they said, ‘Look, the script is … Here’s 30 things that are wrong with it that we can fix.’ And [the executives] said, ‘We don’t care. We don’t really care. The amount of money we’re going to make globally, I mean 70 percent of our audience is not going to be seeing this in English. And it doesn’t really matter, these things that you’re bringing up about the flaws of the script.’ So I do think global concerns play a big part in how movies, and what movies, are being made, obviously.”

Things aren't looking good.

theringer.com/movie-industry-shifts-peak-tv-arrival-moonlight-f0a5ddd85384#.

Other urls found in this thread:

independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/bret-easton-ellis-names-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-one-of-the-best-2016-films-so-far-a7011041.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hold up...THE Batman?

Interesting!

>“I was having dinner with a couple of executives who know other executives who are working on the [forthcoming] Batman movie

So it's a rumor.
Big whop, wanna fight about it?

Well, shit...

I lost all faith when they chose Johns as a consultat anyway

He isn't the best expert about Batman stuff to be honest

>So it's a rumor.

That quote is from Bret Easton Ellis

death stroke aka Slade is a titans villain. he has no part being in a batman movie. The DCEU should roll out a Teen titans movie after there justice league slate.

Wow what a shock, executives are retards. And water is wet. And cum has cum in it.

Why do the jews hate DC so much that they spend all this time spreading malicious rumors?

Sage.

And later in that article:

>In lieu of a sophisticated superhero movie, Ellis laments the lack of innovative filmmakers working the limits of the studio dollar, pushing for bigger and more personal visions.

>“There will not be another Coppola,” Ellis says. “There will not be another Spielberg. There will not be another Scorsese. There will not be another Altman. Because the melding of that kind of artistic mind with a cultural experience, which was going to the movies and watching a large-scale film on a giant screen that’s not IMAX that isn’t a Marvel movie, is over. It’s shifted to television, and that basically now what we’re going to get on television, is someone trying to recapture the glory of 20th-century cinema on TV.”

More importantly he's also a fucking idiot that couldn't write his way out of a paper bag.

he isnt wrong

but there will probably be a capeshit backlash at some point

They probably just played Arkham Origins and took inspiration from that.

The studio doesn't care if the movie tells a coherent, cohesive narrative. It's going to make a shitload of money, domestic and international, no matter how awful it is - and it's all because of the IP.

God, I hate modern filmmaking bullshittery like this.

Dude's right. The last major "personal" filmmaker is arguably Tarantino, and he's stopping after two more films (not that I blame him).

>a DCEU movie is a fucking mess
You don't need insider rumors to tell us that, pal.

What about Del Toro?

Are we ever going to get a DCEU production news story that isn't "SHIT'S FUCKED"

>And [the executives] said, ‘We don’t care. We don’t really care.
I 100% believe this story

Well that's probably true

People have been saying this since the Avengers.

I'll believe a cape film backlash is happening when the environment around them forces me to think as such

>The studio doesn't care if the movie tells a coherent, cohesive narrative. It's going to make a shitload of money, domestic and international, no matter how awful it is - and it's all because of the IP.
Sounds like the DCEU production process in a nutshell to be honest.

"We don't need to care about the property, it will sell on name alone!"

Bret Easton Ellis names Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice one of the best films of 2016 so far
independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/bret-easton-ellis-names-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-one-of-the-best-2016-films-so-far-a7011041.html

>I head from by ex girlfriend's cousins best friend's roommate's aunt's great grandmother's crossing guard that the Batman movie is going to be bad!!

Marvel arguably runs on that to a broader extent with the Marvel Studios label. Any MS film is all but guaranteed to be at least watchable.

But yeah, DC/WB doesn't give a shit if the movie is good so long as it makes shitloads of money.

Oh yeah. But seriously, there isn't gonna be another "personal" filmmaker unless the studio implodes upon itself. Much like AAA games, $200 million films on a regular basis can't be sustained.

It's not that bad but yeah.
He heard from executives talking shit about other executives. And who knows how much they know about the movie, when it was said, what's changed?

This sounds so fucking fake. It sounds like a Donald Trump speech.

DC is doing well in the comics department but mediocre everywhere else (apart from the tv shows a bit), especially the movies.

Marvel is doing well in the movies but mediocre everywhere else, especially the comics.

marvel tv shows aren't bad either desu

The vigilante?

you all need to realise that what this dude is saying is probably true, they dont care about quality they care about money, which is why they cut MoS and BvS so poorly before releasing to the market.

literally who?

DC games aren't bad either. Although they've put them on the back burner seemingly.

Author of American Psycho, among other things. Not surprised he would like BVS.

Man this is hilarious. How obvious does the shilling have to get? Is the script for this movie even finished? Who are these so-called "executives"? His right hand and his left?

its thanks to executives that bvs got cut and sqaud ended up 2/3rds an entirely different film, i doubt this dude is lying

>literally who?

You need to be 18+ to post on Sup Forums

But that would contradict the "we don't care" quote. If they actually didn't care they would have let Snyder do the 3-hour cut and wouldn't have asked Ayer to cut those Joker scenes and change the tone slightly (if that did indeed happen).

I don't understand. Isn't Affleck writing the script himself? What's this talk about "the studio"?

I have no faith in the DCEU to make a good Titans movie.

All the rumors about BVS and SS in regard to the studio and how much of a mess those movies will was more or less true.

It's a meme. Didn't he say he would write it after being done with JL?

It's more like "we don't care until it starts looking like it could have us lose money"

>all these tryhard pretenders trying to be the next Faraci
well, it is good fuel for marveldrones to shitpost

Wouldn't having a bad script lose money? How is "but lots of people won't hear it in English" a counter argument? Is it literally just dialogue that they don't like? It all just seems a little fishy to me.

>How is "but lots of people won't hear it in English" a counter argument?
It's like how people say to people who watch their anime subtitled, "You only like subs because you can't understand what they're saying" except in reverse

>‘We don’t care. We don’t really care. The amount of money we’re going to make globally, I mean 70 percent of our audience is not going to be seeing this in English. And it doesn’t really matter, these things that you’re bringing up about the flaws of the script.’

There are people who unironically believe that the movies made by people who think like this are not only acceptable but exceptional in fact.

I am so glad I've already given up on the DCEU. This is fucking shameful.

>People will still defend it as being "deep" and "artistic" unlike Marvel Movies.

I think the genre just needs for something to come along and do it better. Deadpool set a good example others are trying to copy.
We are in dire need of a truly bleak atmosphere, for example. Copying comics that never get dark enough, or are too edgy when they do, won't suffice. There's very few big comics that dodge tropes correctly and manage to be original.
Worm really comes to mind as something that could change the setting up if it ever became a visual media, but that's because I'm biased and don't really know much about the cape setting outside of Marvel, DC and this one cape-novel.
But basically, its when more people try and dare the status quo that new eras arrive.

Marvel fan here MoS and BvS made me give up Marvel and the MCU sucks! I can't believe I ever liked that garbage! Had to tear down my poster of Iron Man and put one up of Zack Snyder. He's the real hero here. So glad I gave up on the MCU.

>people, especially on Sup Forums, defending a Batman movie

the Burton's movies are the only ones that aren't straight out hated

>it's a "DCfans stick their head in the ground and pretend things are fine" episode

Okay.

Now.

If you were writing a Batman movie, what would you make it about?

>We are in dire need of a truly bleak atmosphere, for example.
Logan

Jesus, this is Damifag tier faggotry

the dark knight returns

Watchmen came out in 2009.

I have high expectations for that one, yes. But mainly because I have a hug dudebro boner for Hugh Jackman

Yeah, nobody watched that. Also the movie wasn't good

Deathstroke breaks out all of the criminals from Arkham and Blackgate. Nightwing comes on and tells Batman "I'm here to help, but I doubt you'll let me." Batman responds "Actually I could use all the help I can get. In fact, I would have called the rest of the League if they weren't busy on their own missions."

Batman and Alfred make special suits and gadgets to take down each specific threat, Nightwing helps too. They take them out in cool ways.

Mid-credits scene you see Lex angrily revealing a power suit saying "I'm coming for you, Man of Steel!"

>Snyder's wife (producer) lets him have his way directing BvS
>Execs get scared after initial screenings and start trying to put their hands all over the movie
>Execs + Snyder fuck up BvS (Theatrical Version vs. Extended Cut)
>Backlash from BvS makes execs start trying to meddle in SS, making it more "Marvel-esque"
>Execs meddling fucks up SS to the point where the final cut is nothing like the initial trailer. (I'm a DCEU fanboy. I loved BvS for its potential and the fact that it tried to be different from the superhero movies we've grown to expect. I still wish it was more muh Superman and muh Batman. I hated SS)
>Constant rumors of trouble surrounding WW (director leaving and being replaced)
>The Flash movie has been through 2 directors and it hasn't even begun filming yet
>Execs seem to think there is a simple fix for every situation.(They kept Snyder on a long leash on BvS; so they shortened Ayer's leash and gave Rick Famuyiwa so little control over his project he left)
>Execs still think they know what makes a good movie and think they know how to use these characters
>Execs decide that the movies don't even have to be good
>Execs still tell themselves that they are doing a great job (this is the worst part)
I haven't heard a single good thing about WB execs, especially when it comes to the DCEU. How did these people get these jobs? What makes them think that they should have any creative input or any authority besides ok'ing budgets and projects?

>Mid-credits scene you see Lex angrily revealing a power suit saying "I'm coming for you, Man of Steel!"

FUCKING CRINGE!

>unnamed source

So just another made up bullshit like with BvS, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. Mouseketeers are gettin really desperate.

Yeah, it's in tune with his character.

My thoughts exactly.

> WW is gonna be good

Actually the executive meddling technically started before that with the "meh" reaction to MoS leading to MoS2 getting pushed way way back in favor of immediately getting Batman in.

So we never got a proper post-Superman's beginnings movie before he "dies" and now Batman is the frontrunner of the DCEU.

A friend of a friend saying a script is bad makes me not believe this story. Also it's the execs point of view which is almost always wrong. I trust Ben and Geoff more than some out of touch exec who knows shit all about comic books.

this is DCEU we are talking about. their track record isnt exactly bronze if even

DC: Meh at movies, good at comics, decent at games, great at cartoons and alright at live action tv.

Marvel: Successful at movies, bad at comics, okay at games, mostly awful at cartoons and generally good at live action tv.

Not really too different.

Track record beyond gold. BvS was the greatest movie of all time, so it's pretty hard to top that.

I agree with you. The execs see things primarily as money makers. They aren't story people or people who care about comic books like Ben or Geoff. His notes are probably more humor, more action, more blacks, more women etc shit like that. I doubt this rumor is actually true though. It seems so he said, she said.

Bret Easton Ellis is nearly Joyce Carol Oates level of delusional as anyone with a twitter account can verify.

And no, he's a terrible writer as well. The American Psycho novel is complete fucking trash and he should be so lucky that Mary Harron fixed his shitty book.

I don't think it contradicts much. With Batman being in a title of a movie it's a license to print money. With a flick like Suicide Squad comprised of mostly c and d listers, they start tightening the reins and hiring their own editors which probably ruined the movie but whatever.

Weirdly enough Titans are almost a listers since 30 somethings watched the original cartoon and babies are watching the new one now. Doing the classic line up and making Deathstroke the badguy with a few Batman cameos would make WB bank. I'm surprised DC went with Suicide Squad first since no one gives a shit about that team in real life while Teen Titans are almost normie tier. Pretty strange.

It's a business. Marvel movies are paint by numbers and all have the same tone, lack of interesting villains and stories but are successful because they stick to the Iron Man formula which has proven financially successful.

WB has always pumped out Batman movies and they always make money. If there is one character in the DC universe that doesn't need micromanagment or execs giving a shit it's Batman.

This isn't a Legion of Superheroes or Seven Soldiers movie that requires alot of explaining, d listers and characterization. It's Batman, Execs now it'll make a gorillion dollars just from having Batman in the title. It doesn't matter. I don't believe the script is bad because that seems like a dumb rumor because Ben and Geoff are good at what they do. You should be glad Goyer and Snyder having nothing to do with a DC movie for once.

Rotten tomato says otherwise but youre entitled to your opinion

DC tries to be deep and artistic and fucks it up. Overall has dark tones and aren't really safe or even normal linear movies. Hires expensive arty directors who get pissed off and want to do their own thing. Often more edgy than the norm.

Marvel has a formula for a light hearted action comedy movie invented by Iron Man 1 and don't try to be anything else. Every movie is linear and very light on villain, story telling and heavy on jokes. Hires cheap tv directors that are easy for the studio to manipulate.

>DC tries to be deep and artistic
You mean Snyder

SS wasn't deep and artistic at all. Of course, it was also hacked up garbage but that's a separate problem

and you believe him?

killer moth is the main antagonist, does lots of moth stuff

KGBeast vs batman fight where beast is drunk on quality russian vodka

80's Magpie wanders around in fishnets a lot and shows off her fat ass a lot

kite man cameo

Eh.

Marvel started with Iron Man 1, The Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor

DC starts with MOS, BvS and SS leading into WW.

I don't see much of a difference in quality. I think all of these movies were 5 or 6s/10 except WW not out yet.

it was very good freind

True, because screw trying to do Superman right. Just throw in Batman. It's ironic that the execs rely on the IP to rake in the money for them, but don't get these characters enough to know what makes them tick.

This is true. I know this guy, who knows this guy, who knows a guy, who knows this guy's cousin who knows Snyder's nanny and she says its true.

2/3 movies have been Synder so yes. Ayer is an artistic director and there were a few shots and interesting themes of the government being kind of fucked up in DC needing to hire mass murder types but it was muddled by the shallow Guardians of the Galaxy vibe and obvious studio meddling.

I think the biggest problem with DC is editing. If both of Synders movies were 30 minutes shorter and if Ayer was allowed to cut his own movie then I think all 3 DC flicks would have been better received.

I'm hoping Geoff and Ben having more power over the future movies and Synder and Goyer having less is a good move. I want Wonder Woman, Aquamang and Flash to be good. Not really worried about Batman movie because the rumors of the script being shit seem like bs.

Err, foreign languages don't hide plot holes or other script issues, if anything they make them worse.

iron man 1 was actually a good movie
DCEU has yet to have a good movie, and Superman and Batman are huge names. they fucked up bad

Already happened friendo. Can the Miller dick sucking ever stop?

Snyder succeeded in his depth and artistry.

Teen heroes who stay teenagers don't work in live action.

Fuck off, Johns in batman it's a huge mistake

Superman has been fantastic in the DCEU

If I am ever in charge, people who say "We don't really care" in a professional context will be sent to concentration camps.

I guess that's why he's been so divisive, and they had to bring in Batman into the picture for the second movie, because he has been so fantastic...

I just personally feel that someone who succeeded could not have been in charge of a movie called Batman v Superman and it end up doing significantly less than Ice Age 4

Hollywood has been shit for most of its history, having artistically driven directors was an anomaly.
Now creativity is back in the hands of independents and that's fine.

Timeline for good superhero flicks in my opinion was Superman 1979 for making people give a shit about a man who can fly, Batman 1989 for making audiences forget about campy 60s Batman and making him a dark character again. Blade came out in 1998 I believe and gave us a rated R d list superhero movie that was fun to watch. Early 2000s we got Xmen and Spiderman which showed us we could get characters following the comic book storylines and make it work for general audiences. Memorable action, action, music and villains. Several years later we get Nolan Batman trilogy, the second one elevated the genre so much (i'm meh about it) that superhero flicks getting oscars doesn't seem so bizarre anymore. Iron Man 1 comes out and a 4 or 5 movies later Avengers the cash crab begins comes out. Marvel Disney buyout sees a clever formula in Iron Man 1 for a comedy superhero movie that can be replicated. A dozen movies later Marvel Disney is raking in bank with a "shared-universe" franchise. Deadpool rated R comedy that shows superheroes can be dark and funny instead of light and child friendly and recent Xmen movies have come out trying to replicate Deadpool and the Avengers success. DC has begun a shared universe of there own trying to invoke the Dark Knights vibe of Heat and other dark crime movies to mixed reviews.

It's important to remember that this genre has fluctuated in quality and has only gotten extremely popular in the last decade or so. I think we need a seachange for superhero movies. A blend of silver age, comedy, darkness, action, a threatening or believable villain and good acting/gravitas is probably what the genre needs or It'll just be the new western and we'll just get them now and then forever and varying quality.

>It'll just be the new western and we'll just get them now and then forever and varying quality.

I wouldn't mind that if the quality were good. I'm tired of all this mass produced garbage. I do kind of miss when super hero movies were more rare, that made them more of a treat or a spectacle instead of the norm and status quo.

Affleck wins Oscars for writing, and is a Batman fanboy, so of course I believe this bullshit rumor...

Of course Deb lets Zack do whatever, he's carried her career, contrary to popular belief.

>there are people who actually believe this