Maybe because I have very low expectations, but this turned out to be watchable...

Maybe because I have very low expectations, but this turned out to be watchable. Better than the 3rd or 4th one at least.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_54IUIv97nI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Maybe because I have very low expectations
Honestly that's the only way to watch movies. People don't seem to understand that unrealistic expectations ruin more movies than bad filmmaking.

>better than the 3rd
get out

I thought it was the worst of the five
Events just happen without any reason. Like the ending, Barbossa was actually with them the entire time apparently, just watching them fight and doing nothing
The story was borderline nonsensical

And the opening scene with young Henry and Orlando was fucking appalling. Terrible acting, terrible dialogue, just terrible

Jack Sparrow became his own parody they really shifted the character from its roots.
He is now a cartoon character with slapstick comedy.
He used to be eccentric but also clever and has some sort of nobility now just drunk clown.
Worst one in the series imo

Man the CG was really bad. I think the 2nd movie had better CG than this shit. Young Sparrow looked awful. They can do young RDJ and Kurt Russell in the MCU, why can't they do young Depp?

Also that green screen at the end where they were hanging off anchors.

Young Russel looked awful what the fuck.

3rd one was non-sensical and too long. this one at least had the grace of being just 2 hours long and having a generic but understandable plot.

God damn this board has shit taste. It is legit 1/10 2/10 trash. I had no expectations and it was still that bad

>having an expectation of quality from the media you consume is a bad thing, because then you'll not enjoy all these shitty movies and end up having decent taste or something

n i c e

i love first three movie mostly watch them back to back.
4th one is bad but i like the mermaid qt in it.
new one is just trash.

So it's worse than the 4th one? Because that was seriously, really fucking bad.

It was decent with some laughable moments, shame they completely Flanderized Jack Sparrow but at least we had Barbossa to be competent as always.

>orlando bloom and keira knightley playing parents to a 20-year old

lol

Yep

1 4/5
2 3.5/5
3 2.5/5
4 1.5/5
5 1/5

yeah, they are both bad but i would put 4th one before 5th one.
Blackbeard was better than Salazar
Mermaid stuff was neat
i genuinely laugh at "someone make a note of that man's bravery" scene
i hate the penelope cruz's character
the new movie i just dont care,
Jack completely retarded
new characters has no charisma,
new bad guy just a bad rehash of barbossa from first movie.
tired cliches.

i liked kaya's tiddies in it

>That wedding scene
I'm sorry but you're fucking WRONG

but the "I do" scene is kino

You sure about that?

the fourth one was bad but i loved the idea of christian guys going around destroying the fountain of you because eternal life can only come through salvation
I want more movies about heretics getting btfo

So, I downloaded that trash. Couldn't get past the girl introduction. She's lived all her life on her own yet became an astronomer, of course accused of being a witch by backward priests because religion is bad and stronk womyn is good. lockpicks the door and slams it on priest face, YASS QUEEN .
Salazar looks like a very crappy version of Davy Jones, he keeps repeating "death" like a retard. Less than 10 minutes in and I was sick of it already

Literally only plebs thought the fourth film was bad
1 > 4 >2 >>>>>>> 5

Young Sparrow wasn't CGI though. Why do people not do research before looking like idiots?

i hated that they felt they needed not will and not elizabeth. just have a pirates movie with pirates, the non pirates have drug down every one of these movies. that dude who played salazar did a good job though

>"We found a young actor who looked similar, not quite like Johnny, and was a pretty good actor,” Bruckheimer told the group. “You take Johnny through the same scene [that De La Torre filmed], and then you kind of mesh them together. A company called Lola does this."

Watched it a few days ago. Story was meh. Hated Jack Sparrow, but liked the tributes part when he first became captain.

Definitely not better than the third but it was a big improvement over On Stranger Tides.

The chick they added was atrocious. You could remove her completely and the plot wouldn't change at all, the only scene that would need major re-writing is at the very end.
Aside from her is was acceptable.. ish. The script sucked, some of the performances saved it. Geoffrey Rush was on his A-game, but he's always on his A-game.

Are any of these movies worth watching? If so, when do i stop?

btfo

I actually liked it.

1>5>4>2>3 fucking fight me

First two are great. Third is okay. Fourth varies wildly depending on which characters it's focusing on, Geoffrey Rush chews the scenery raw and it's clear he's having a blast with his role and the fun is contagious, but when he's not involved the quality dips.
Likewise in the new one. Except Barbossa doesn't get as much screen time so there's less fun to be had.

Am I the only one who liked the third one?

3rd one is pure kino and the best in the series, I've no idea what people's issue with it is. Loved the whole expansion of the mythos and how grandiose and epic it was.

I think it's great. I consider the first three Pirates movies to be just as good as Indiana Jones.

>Geoffrey Rush
Seriously though, when is he ever not great in something?

i like the third one too.
All Gore Verbinski trilogy was good imho.
Davy Jones was most BASED character in recent history tbqhwy senpai.

The second best in the series for me, really loved the Davy Jones/Beckett part.

Half the movie is spent focusing on Elizabeth being a shrill, annoying mary sue.

Why do they keep making these without Gore Verbinski at the helm?
Fuck I love the first three movies so much and it's a shame this franchise is going to die because of shitty direction.

>I've no idea what people's issue with it is
Its really bloated and is all over the place. The setpieces were fun but it never feels like a logical procession of the story. Also seems like they flush most of what they established in part 2 down the toilet in the opening act.

The Verbinski movies were made the old fashioned way and it shows. They actually went out and filmed at remote Caribbean locations instead of just doing everything in a massive studio covered in green screens.

I've always liked it too even though it's the weakest of the first three, it's kind of like Return of the Jedi with pirates if that makes any sense.

The directing in the new one was passable, but the script itself was atrocious. Some of the scenes were great, the last one with Barbossa was fantastic. But it's competent movie making trying to shine from underneath an awful script. It's the opposite of Stranger Tides, which was just a shitty movie with a great script.

but most of the original trilogy were just filmed on californian shores lol

>be disney
>create jack adventure kino
>decide to make 2 part movie
>everyone is sick of will orlando and knightly
>decide to go back to jack kino
>decide to do it like 3year later
>implying hype will not dye, and fans will not re watch the previous works
>impossible a movie three years later flops, it must be jack is not kino anymore, orlando and knightly where the kino
>decide to film a movie 6 years later try to recreate orlando knightly kino + have them cameo it flops
>holy shit who would of guess

That was only for the first one I think. They really stepped it up for 2 and 3.

That film at least had like 2 or 3 genuinely good jokes and not that many bad ones, whereas shit movies like Guardians 2 are 95% cringe.

How did On Stranger Tides cost $410 million to make?
It looked way cheaper than the previous movies and felt more like an episode of a tv series.

The OG writers left after 4th one.
Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio also worked with Verbinski at The Lone Ranger

None of them flopped but like this user said, OST was insanely expensive for some reason.

Actors. I'm not sure of the specific rules for whatever associations Depp and Co are in, but a lot of Actors unions require that an actor be given an increased salary for every subsequent appearance. It's what led to Kiefer Sutherland being used for Voice Acting in Metal Gear Solid V, the Voice Actors union mandated that for every subsequent Appearance the original VA had to have their pay increased by 26%. After 14 appearances, that became a whole lot of money To the point that hiring a B-list hollywood guy was cheaper.

What you're talking about is called "scale". A giant movie star like Johnny Depp is way above that kind of stuff. His salary and back end points are negotiated by his agent.

flopped in quality to me man fuck your jew numbers

worst part of stranger tide is where are back to Orlando and knightly shit for 2 movies. Mother fucker why can they not just do jack kino. The franchise is dead when jack is dead, they "killed" barbosa

What about everyone else though? The midget crewmember has been in every movie, so have the two former navy lackeys. How much are they getting? Sure, Depp might get substantially more individually, but these movies have like 30+ recurring extras.

Next time word your post better, user. How did you think people would interpret the word "flopped"?

I agree. It's a solid 6/10.

Sorry for being a stickler for terms but an extra is just a background person getting minimum wage. Those guys are in recurring supporting roles that they had to audition for. But yeah, they certainly got paid more for their subsequent appearances.

So did she eat the priest or not?

WHERE DID IT EVEN COME FROM

>tfw no qt partly evil mermaid gf
I didn't like most of the movie but damn she was one of the few characters I almost went waifufag for

Except it was great, and the "Sparrow" scene was an excellent origin. The reveal that him prattling about tribute was a reference to when his whole outfit is made up out of gratitude tribute from a whole ship that he saved was absolute kino

yeah what happened to that storyline?

3rd had its share of problems but at least for me personally the entire Pearl vs Dutchman fight in the maelstrom saves it.

Still the 5th movie was much better than 4.
>dat feel when the implications of Cottons Parrot in the bottle in the 4th movie likely ment the entire crew starved to death/ate each other then starved to death in the 5 years between PoTC 4 and 5.

Also was shitty just how fast the Queen Annes Revenge and Blackbeard/Barbossas magic sword was removed from the picture.

I love it, and it has the most rewatch value, but that's because it is ludicrously packed to the brim with plot, and it's genuinely hard to catch everything on your first or second viewing. It's probably not a good film, but it was so much fun to pick up on all the nuances in later viewings that I can't help but forgive it.

It was atrocious
>muh worldwide Pirate organisation with hierarchies
>Chinese ninja pirates omg so kewl!
>Jack is actually super important and not just some random pirate
>Davy Jones and the Kraken teaming up with the British Empire casually
Absolute mess of a story which completely fails to understand why the first two were so good

>and the Kraken

wat

Kraken was Davy Jones pet but he couldn't control it so much as summon it and just let it loose, so Becket forced Davy to kill it

It killed the kraken off for no reason
It was a convoluted mess
Way, way too much magic. Pearl had no magic beyond the treasure, dead man doubled the magical stuff and then in tides there's so much magic bullshit that I just don't give a fuck about the story since magical bullshit will save the day.
The beckett scene was amazing though.

I still liked all the magic in the third one, since none of it was predictable or controllable. Releasing Calypso, for example, just created a fucking whirlpool instead of actively helping the pirates.

How did it die anyways?
I was kind of hoping it would show up during the final battle to attack the british ships.

I see a lot of confusion ITT so i might as well enlighten you with the truth

3>1>5>2>4

1 > 2 > 3 >>> 4 >>>>>> 5

Never stated, we just know Davy Jones killed it

Three is better than two. Does two have even a single truly memorable scene?

Beckett forced Davy Jones to make it climb on to the dry shore.

That's a fair headcanon, but there's no real evidence to back it up

The threeway fight is legit great

Do you fear death?

best guess is the Dutchman pulled up beside it underwater and opened fire with all its cannons.

5 was decent but the thing is Sup Forums shitposting threads came up with more fun plot of the movie than what the studio came up with.

Thing I remember most is the whole idea of
>Silent Mary whipping the Queen Annes Revenge and any other ships asses
>Jack gets the trident
>uses it to make all the ships trapped in the bottles back to full size
>turns into a clusterfuck as Barbossa starts controlling all of them with his sword to beat back Salazar while Jack and co get on the Pearl
>Turner and the Flying Dutchman pops up towards the end to finish off Salazar and crew and take them to the afterlife they deserve (heaven, hell, purgatory, the Locker, etc)

Alright, fair enough, that's a good line. Three's got a lot more than that, though, between Beckett's death, the battle in the whirlpool, and the genuine complexity caused by every main character having a different set of goals they were clearly pursuing.

Releasing the Kraken?

I was actually surprised with how much I enjoyed the new one. It was much more fun than the fourth which was a drag.

1 = 2 > 3 > 5 > 4

don't you ever bring up the fucking whirpool scene. The final 20 minutes of the 3rd movie were such a fucking abortion.

They literally show the body in the movie.

Yes, but that doesn't mean it was forced to crawl up onto shore. Giant Squid wash up on land sometimes when they die, it's not that uncommon.

this

>All the opening scenes
>Muh pirate lore
>Intricate enough plot
>Actually interesting characters
>The whirlpool scene despite what this abysmal faggot says
>This scene youtube.com/watch?v=_54IUIv97nI

3 was the best out of them all. It's a shame they actually renounced building a better cinematic universe just because it was a bit too long and normies didn't like it.

Fair point

The first is still the best. Its charm was a fluke, and that level of pure wondrous adventure was never reached again.

I wonder some times how ideas that seem so simple but so satisfying, such as this, are neglected over shit that actually makes the final cut

>watch a movie in a series that is insanely good
>being disappointed by a later entry is your fault because you hoped for the quality present in earlier titles

wow i feel so enlightened. everything is my fault always and i need to throw money at whatever I'm expected to

Why didn't they fire their cannons?

I enjoy 3 the most if I'm drunk. 1 is the best movie and endlessly re-watchable. The characters are at their absolute peak there.

They wouldn't have had time to evacuate, and there was no way the ship was going to survive even if they did

>YAG SPARLOWL!

I can understand this opinion only because 3 was objectively too ambitious
It's a scene women and faggots would never understand

Don't forget the Calypso and Davy Jones relationship it was great.
it was original and tragic
>burried his heart
>1 day on shore after 10 years
>betrayal