When did the Flintstones get grimdark and preachy?

When did the Flintstones get grimdark and preachy?

The mid 60s

>Gritty realistic Flintstones reboot
>Not about the various intelligent prehistoric life used as tools revolting after years of abuse and invalidation

>get grimdark and preachy?
It's on the same level of Futurama

Same time it got good

I feel like it goes a step further than Futurama. Fred breaks down into some real maudlin shit the closest I remember Fry getting was his speech about the moon.

Fuck off, Dickman!

>There are people disliking this comic simply because it's a reimagining of The Flintstones
>There are people who think this is an example of DC making things edgier and less light hearted
They didn't buy or read comics to begin with though

Neither do fans of this comic judging by the sales

Jesus Christ.

>under 15k by #3
God damn it

To be fair, even with that creative team, nobody expected it to be this good.
I imagine "Flintstones comic" is kind of a hard sell.

So, what genocide is he talking about?

I think the new issue may boost things up a bit.
I've been seeing panels being posted across social media and having it spread by word of mouth.
Some cast it off since they think it's an edgy mess and believe every comic out there is a work of "SJW" while others are genuinely interested.
Maybe it can get the boost it needs?
Oh who am I kidding nobody buys comics that aren't capeshit and they'll just read it online

they fought a war against some "people from the woods" so that maybe? i dunno i have only read a little about it

Tree people. They needed them to fuck off to build Bedrock. Bedrock was built on the ruins of their homes atop unmarked graves with their bones for bricks.

I'm usually a textbook trade waiter but I might have to get out and buy the floppies to this, I really want to support it

They set fire to the forests and the tree people lived there.

Before Bedrock existed the Cavemen lived in fur tents. Fred's boss decided that they should bulldoze the nearby tree people area and use their living space to build bedrock. He tells everyone that the Tree People are savages who threaten the livelihood of their society. Fred and Barney enlist in war, burn down the tree people's homes, and killed as many as they could. By the time the smoke cleared they realized they committed a genocide with the sole survivor being Bamm-Bamm who Barney adopts because he has slow sperm.

They genocided a neighboring tribe of Tree People to get their land after Slate and Mayor the Destroyer convinced them they were an invasion force. Fred realized what they did when he realized there were kids among the dead bodies. Barney adopted the only surviving Tree Person.

holy shit

that's kind of amazing, i'm honestly surprised, i'll give it a read later then

It's mostly what this week's issue was about.

Mr. Slate wanted to build Bedrock on land covered in trees and occupied by tree people, the Fred, Barney, and the other guys who would later become the Water Buffalo Lodge were duped into massacring the tree people.

Bamm-Bamm was the only survivor.

isn't it Betty the one who's barren?

Welcome to the post Bojack Horseman era where everything has to have preachy life relatable problems that losers in their mid 20s can obsess over

>duped
Ha! They still live in their nice new houses, don't they?

neck yourself

Nah the Fertility Shaman said Barn had slow sperm.
Might as well reap the rewards of the most regrettable decision you ever made that will haunt you for life.

>Bojack invented drama
There's fucking humor in the series
The only reason why people assume Russel's Flintstones is boring preaching is because the serious panels are the ones that go more viral.

>preachy life relatable problems
Yeah, because PTSD, and Marriage are such relatable topics for people in their 20s.

you don't need to be the first to popularize something

It is for some of them.

That's the price of being a modern stone age family.

Yabba dabba doo

>preachy

I never understood this term.

Every medium is there to tell some kind of story or get something across to the reader so what determines when something is being preachy.

Something becomes preachy when the message is more important than the story, basically.

>tfw genocide is the reason why we're the only species of human left

Something is preachy when happens.

Basically when everything in the story exists in service of the message.

If I make a story where:
>the main characters are all well fleshed out
>but then some of them get shot in a school shooting
>so all guns get banned after some debates where strawmen are knocked down
>and the world lives happily ever after with no more violence forever and ever

That's still preachy.

Whenever its a message I dont like

This comic is wierd because while I can imagine Fred having either his cartoon voice or John Goodman's voice from the movie, but I can literally only hear Barney with his cartoon voice.

Same here.

But you just made a story about people dealing with gun control and the effect tragic events have on your well rounded characters/world.

The page with "there's cavemen in the car" basically just needed a laugh track at the end and it would feel like a classic bit

No, because the whole point of my story is to service one goal of banning guns, and does not actually show or engage any other opposing opinions except when they are easily able to be knocked down by me.

It's like that one comic panel that gets shown a lot where Michael Jackson confronts Neo-Nazis and accuses one of the leaders of having no chin. It's an easy strawman to knock down without actually confronting any of the opinions discussed by the opposition.

It wasn't a strawman, he was making a point of why do people who claim to be a genetic master race have shitty physical features, because that runs counter to their belief.

Probably in this panel. Didn't you notice when you were posting?

...so you made a story where your ideals and characters win? Sounds like a normal but flawed story to me.

>Michael Jackson

I think Preacher would be a tolerable read if it was actually MJ as the main character

It's still a jab about appearance over actually confronting another character, even if you put it in a greater context.

That's my point. The flaw is that it's preachy. This is the point I'm trying to drive across.

If the Bojack studio ever branches out, I'd be satisfied if they did a Flintstones miniseries adaptation.

>It's still a jab about appearance over actually confronting another character, even if you put it in a greater context.

They're Neo-Nazis, everyone knows what they stand for and everyone except people who agree with them think they're deplorable. You're not going to find some "well let's see things from their point of view" stance because people know exactly what their view is.

It's one of the few groups that's kinda justified in any shit they're given.

But if that's the case then every story is flawed because the proper way for story to end without it being preachy is for a literal stalemate and nothing gets resolved...wait a second.

Or the resolution has consequence still.
Though personally I don't think that's the only way to preachy.
Not to mention a lot of satire tends to be preachy anyways.

Satire can't not be preachy because its purpose is to use humor to make a political and/or moral point.

>It's still a jab about appearance over actually confronting another character,
It's a jab about hypocrisy, actually.

But Bojak is just a tamer version of Duckman

What the fuck, I wanna read this now

It's weird how the new Flintstones is amazing yet all the other weird Hanna-Barbera comics suck dick