Will the M4 ever be replaced as the standard issue rifle for the US armed forces? It's such a solid platform...

Will the M4 ever be replaced as the standard issue rifle for the US armed forces? It's such a solid platform. I know they have held trials with Remington, FN, etc... To my understanding only some special operation guys have elected to use the FN SCAR or other rifles made by various manufacturers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pzi6tQbdI9k
youtu.be/lJs9sBBjLls
m.youtube.com/watch?v=X5MMgnMIpG4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it already is, the Marines changed from the m16a4 to the m4 as the standard rifle.

Same basic design though. The m4a1 and the m16a4 both feature the same basic charging handle, BCG, forward assist, gas systems, etc. Muzzle velocity, rate of fire, and feed system are the same basically as well.

If the US had as much money as they needed to purchase a sufficient amount of new rifles, they would replace it in a heart beat. Soldiers say they feel ut gunned by shitty old AK's in the middle east. BAKA.

Short answer. Not until there is a revolutionary advancement in small arms technology. IE. Caseless ammo, airburst munitions, gyro jets or directed energy weapons becoming practical and durable enough for use by infantry. Until that happens. The platform is "good enough." There is nothing on the market currently that provides any significant advantages.

They'll probably replace it with an LSAT derived rifle in 30 years when that project finally wraps up.

>any significant advantages

I disagree. There are many platforms in existence today that outmatch the m4. They just aren't as cost effective.

I like FAMAS.

Yeah. I have a friend who served in Afghanistan back in 06. Says the 5.56 is seriously outmatched by their 7.62x39. Often times taking multiple hits to drop one of the fuckers at any distance past 300 meters.

Same caliber that we use. Plus it's a French bullpup. No thanks.

Wasn't the US army trialing the ACR chambered in a calibre somewhere between 5.62 NATO and 7.62x32?

Can't remember the dimensions though.

Its because the 7.62x39 has enough mass to keep going. 223 just cant perform as well outside of closer ranges.

There are a gazillion of those things stashed in warehouses all over the world.
It'll take a plasma rifle for it to be replaced.

FN SCAR too expensive
M4 too small for Muh-Reens
Need something better. Trump said he will let the military use the best possible equipment without insider trading or corruption. How do you think we ended up with the "Universal ACU" Pattern the army got cucked over with? They can get better rifles than we have. But SCAR would be a long shot....

They were. I think Remington bought Bushmaster. Never heard much about the trials.

That is not the issue with the rifle, but the round itself and it isn't going anywhere.

>Can carry way more of them
>Designed to wound targets instead of obliterate them requiring the opposing forces to use more resources caring for the wounded

Hell, even the Russians followed suit with the 5.45 they use. We have the bigger rounds when they are needed.

Also, shit ain't a video game. Getting hit once by the 5.56 past 300 meters is still going to ruin your day. Even if they didn't drop immediately they would probably bleed to death in moments or pass out. It isn't like they would get cover and regenerate.

The M1A is a wonderful platform, but for widespread standard issue it falls flat with less ammo for the weight plus heavier weapon (think female soldiers).

Oops 5.56 not 5.62.

No because USA doesn't have money for that
Gee must be hard to live in a country that can't pay it's debt

I have the Ruger, and the other day I was looking at a cheap used S&W M&P someone else was buying, and I was like, maybe I should get that too, be able to arm neighbors in a riot or something. This platform is at a great point. It's very user-friendly for first timers, it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want, it is uniquely provided for in terms of accessories, and it is achieving a widespread popular understanding. It's like how Utes were twenty years ago in Oz.

>The M1A is a wonderful platform

Nah.

The insides are too exposed.

"M1A is good" is a dumb meme.

556-223 not good ammo for distance. Glorified .22 in my opinion. 7.62 not very accurate but I would prefer that. What they need to do is what the nazis did and have a nice submachine gun like the MP-7 and make that widely available to people who want it. And have a nice rifle for people who want that too. The one platform fits all is retarded and will never work.

Say that to our face fucker and not online and see what happens.

>Wasn't the US army trialing the ACR chambered in a calibre somewhere between 5.62 NATO and 7.62x32?

5.56 Nato and 7.62x39.

6.5mm is constantly trailed for military application.

6.5 Creedmoor (for example) has better ballistic properties than a 308(7.62 nato).

X25
And whatever smart gun we make it pair it up with

But really the X25 will become a hammer if it ever gets squad issued.
>Sniper?
X25
>Entrenched enemies?
X25
>Enemies behind cover and around a corner?
X25
Technical with an mg suppressing you?
X25
Enemy committing to a bayonet charge?
X25

It does matter. 5.56 looses velocity fast at distance. It's such a tiny round that when you push it too far, it barely penetrates. Yeah it will hurt but the wound the enemy may receive won't kill them. It'll just piss them off.

I already know what'll happen
youtube.com/watch?v=pzi6tQbdI9k

6.5 Creedmoor is a fantastic round. Low recoil too.

>There are many platforms in existence today that outmatch the m4

not in your average grunts hands.

You are playing the margins if you are talking about differences between the M16/M4 capacities and another rifles. Those differences are negligible once you factor in mediocrely trained human error

>Yeah it will hurt but the wound the enemy may receive won't kill them. It'll just piss them off.

Are you fucking retarded, nigger?

Tell me kfags why did 7.62 get replaced by 5.56 as natos standard calibre?

Was this the work of the Jews?

>One pants-on-head muhreen signle-handedly pushed the XM25's deployment back by 2-3 years.
We should have just called it natural selection and kept going. It would be starting to bleed into standard issue this year.

>2016
>Not creaming your pants everytime you shoot your AK-107

youtu.be/lJs9sBBjLls

Analysts realized that soldiers could have the same killing power as 7.62 with a bit less weight and a bit more tumbling.

No, SF guys mostly run M4a1 sopmod block II, mk 18s, mk 12s, scars, and hk 416s

I assuming you are the same person. Bullets start to lose velocity as soon as they leave the barrel of the rifle. It's simple physics/ballistics. Each caliber varies but they all have an effective range. Effective being the key word. Sure you may be able to hit a target at 900 yards with a rifle chambered in 5.56. But do you know how badly that round has slowed down by the time it reaches that far down range?! You're he stupid fuck sir.

Literally adds nothing to the original post.

It didn't even kill him, the fail safe worked pretty damn well given were dealing with explosives here.

That said 2-3 years in brass time is about a decade or so, unless we get into a near-peer war soon.

/k/ here. Honestly they'll probably fuck around with 5.56 loads and optics and shit but I could honestly see the thing being in service until like 2040 or so.

I always assumed he died, considering he had a grenade go off literally in his face. Next to another grenade. Stacked on top of another 8 grenades. Must be one hell of a failsafe.

>Was this the work of the Jews?
Could not help but laugh.

>I assuming you are the same person.

You'd be wrong about both bullets and identities, then.

5.56 is more than enough to kill anything that moves.

You're one of those fedora tippers that shits on .380 and 9mm because "muh stoppin' powah."

They've tried replacing it countless times. But no rifle currently exists that has enough improvement to justify the costs. Remember that the AR-15 family is the current for the entire Western world, so they're going to need something revolutionary to change that.

>5.56 is more than enough to kill anything that moves.
Ehhhhhhh. Yeah I mean you could kill a big ass moose or grizzly with 5.56 but I wouldn't want to have to.

Learn ballistics.

don't the more important forces already use hk416/17s though

>Marines want a rifle that is so light that they can carry it for hours without feeling anything, a round powerful enough to kill Allah Akhabar in one shot but small enough that you can carry hundreds of rounds of it, no recoil, cleans itself, and gives you a blowjob when you're lowly

Basically, grunts want a fucking magic wand and complain about every fucking rifle you give them because it doesn't scratch their ass when they want it too

yes. with an AK47.
/thread

Learn common sense.

The average sniper covers a distance of 800 meters.

You aren't likely to engage anything beyond 300 meters.

>b-b-but i wanna engage targets beyond the max effective range of muh M4

*tips fedora*

6.8 was tried with M468 and REC7. It was considered to have the better ballistics than the 5.56 or 7.62, but there are other factors to consider. Apart from the standard problems with switching your standard cartridge, it would mean other weapons like the SAW would have to replaced or rechambered for the new round. That's a lot of money, especially when the 5.56 is actually perfect for squad automatic weapons.

yfw hillary bans all rifles
seriously try to imagine this
because if she gets in office she'll do that and wont even stop there.

Just correcting the record fampi
also stop tripfagging tripfag

>Yeah I mean you could kill a big ass moose or grizzly with 5.56 but I wouldn't want to have to.

I agree, but it's dumb to pretend that 5.56 is nothing more than a foam Nerf dart, which is what this civilian tripfag is doing.

> that awkward moment when an American flag poster knows shit about guns

The Idea with small caliber being that if you wound the enemy, it will take 2 guys to save him, thus taking 3 combatants out of the battle. The thing is, they came up with this idea after WW2 when they were fighting Germans the didn't implement it until the Vietnam war. the problem with that is Gooks don't give 2 shits about a fallen comrade, they just keep coming.
It's that whole idea that we don't want to kill our enemy in a war, just mame him. Perfect example: Hollow-points are banned by NATO. They're too cruel for ISIS.

>There is nothing on the market currently that provides any significant advantages.

This is basically what it comes down to. Switching to a different system now would cost billions of dollars, they'd have to order new rifles, new parts, develop new maintenance techniques to teach new recruits, retrain all their armorers how to maintain the new rifles, and then there'd be a massive surplus of old rifles. Are there better rifles than the M16/M4 platform? Probably, but the real question is, are they so much better that they'd justify the cost of switching over? Probably not.

More likely would be a caliber switch (and even that's extremely unlikely, for the same reasons). If the US ever did adopt a new round, I imagine they'd switch to 300 Blackout because it would require the fewest amount of new parts to switch over.

Your a fucking idiot. You have no data to back up your arguments so you just reiterate what o say and throw some of this
>tips fedora
Bullshit. Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8 I'm so ir8.

Probably not, until Exalt finally researches magnetic weapons and becomes ADVENT.

>US military is beginning to integrate women into combat roles
>Thinking they're going to adopt a rifle that chambers a round more powerful than 5.56

Look at the current generation of military recruits. They're all a bunch of nu-male SJW's and women. No way they can handle .308 or 7.62 x 39

>getting this butt-blasted

When you come and raid my house with your Navy SEAL sniper section, make sure you shoot me with something other than 5.56, because I repel that shit like you repel women.

Actual grunt here. Nothing wrong with the weapon. Operator error, poor maintenence, and improper use cause 95% of the problems people have. Ineffectual wound vectors are caused by the ammunition used and the barrel length/twist. XM193 rounds out of a 1/12 twist 20" barrel produces HORRIFYING wound channels, this is how the weapon was originally designed. Currently we are using M855 rounds out of 14.5 inch barrels with a 1/7 twist. Which creates ice pick size wounds. But does better against light cover. So it's a tradeoff. Most kills are achieved by suppressing the enemy with small arms fire until airstrikes, mortars, or artillery can be called in on their position. So it's largely irrelevant.

Tl:Dr rifle is fine when used as intended. Army fucked it because grunts complained.

Fuck you, kek

How long before our soldiers sound like this?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=X5MMgnMIpG4

Please go back to Call of Duty.

The MP-7 is a PDW, not smg. Smgs are mostly obsolete for military purposes.

Warhead didn't detonate, that's the really really important bit

When America, and thus nato, adopts a round other than 5.556x45.

In other words, not soon. It's a platform that can be upgraded with the latest technology until we think "hey this is a cool invention, let's use this" and drop 5.56 in favour of it.

The West Bank and Gaza?

What in Davy Jones' locker did ye just bark at me, ye scurvy bilgerat? I'll have ye know I be the meanest cutthroat on the seven seas, and I've led numerous raids on fishing villages, and raped over 300 wenches. I be trained in hit-and-run pillaging and be the deadliest with a pistol of all the captains on the high seas. Ye be nothing to me but another source o' swag. I'll have yer guts for garters and keel haul ye like never been done before, hear me true. You think ye can hide behind your newfangled computing device? Think twice on that, scallywag. As we parley I be contacting my secret network o' pirates across the sea and yer port is being tracked right now so ye better prepare for the typhoon, weevil. The kind o' monsoon that'll wipe ye off the map. You're sharkbait, fool. I can sail anywhere, in any waters, and can kill ye in o'er seven hundred ways, and that be just with me hook and fist. Not only do I be top o' the line with a cutlass, but I have an entire pirate fleet at my beck and call and I'll damned sure use it all to wipe yer arse off o' the world, ye dog. If only ye had had the foresight to know what devilish wrath your jibe was about to incur, ye might have belayed the comment. But ye couldn't, ye didn't, and now ye'll pay the ultimate toll, you buffoon. I'll shit fury all over ye and ye'll drown in the depths o' it. You're fish food now, lad.

How have I never seen this before?

Idk. But it's a funnier read than the navy seal one