We kinda straddle a line between comedy and legit science fiction. we're kinda trying something new here

>we kinda straddle a line between comedy and legit science fiction. we're kinda trying something new here
>and it's not just a series of jokes that are followed for the laugh
>yeah, in 30 minutes we could really make it a sitcom, but with an hour- this is something that really hasn't been attempted

Other urls found in this thread:

indiewire.com/2017/09/the-orville-review-seth-macfarlane-star-trek-rip-off-1201874080/
metacritic.com/tv/the-orville
twitter.com/AnonBabble

are we seriously not going to discuss that seth fuckface who should've died on 9/11 didn't even see stargate sg-1 and now says he's the first person to do an hour-long action sci-fi comedy?

it mite b cool honestly
mite

early reviews are awful.

indiewire.com/2017/09/the-orville-review-seth-macfarlane-star-trek-rip-off-1201874080/
>it takes the basic framework of a “Trek” series and files off the serial numbers
>it’s hard to imagine how anyone involved with this project could be comfortable with walking onto that set, watching those episodes, and seeing how blatant the imitation is.

>there is something of an effort made to not be super-misogynist. And there is a same-sex relationship that is never played for laughs.
honestly the funniest thing about this is that in their futuristic narrative same sex couples are still so controversial that jokes about them are still taboo, several centuries later.

oh my bad I didn't know people had seen it yet, but you weren't kidding
metacritic.com/tv/the-orville
I usually take comedy reviews with a grain of salt, but if half of what they say is true it sounds awful

He got a minor role on Enterprise as some ensign if I recalle and I think he's been in love with Star Trek for a long time.

He's going to do his thing Seth MacFarlane but this is essentially his way of paying respect to something he loves.

epic post

>He's going to do his thing Seth MacFarlane
Oh boy, I can't wait for every episode to devolve into a musical.

I trust nothing because these people have an agenda to push, rarely appreciate comedy, and think they can rate shows with criticism such as "morally bankrupt".

Mommy wants you to tongue punch her filthy twat. Give it a good clean.

This is getting universally shat on by critics.

Imagine every other MacFarlane show except with 10 minutes between each joke instead of 10 seconds the rest of the time being filled with sub-Voyager tier Trek scripts all of which star MacFarlane as a 100% sincere, not ironic, not winking, not parody, leading mean.

I know thanks

>it takes the basic framework of a “Trek” series and files off the serial numbers

isn't that kind of the point? That's exactly what the marketing for it looks like

>it’s hard to imagine how anyone involved with this project could be comfortable with walking onto that set, watching those episodes, and seeing how blatant the imitation is

Is this reviewer even aware that the only reason this show exists is to parody?
>there is something of an effort made to not be super-misogynist. And there is a same-sex relationship that is never played for laughs.

so this review is completely worthless?

>early reviews are awful.

Reviewers are shit and didn't understand Trek until after it was a hit. This may be shit but don't expect them to know either way.

>>it’s hard to imagine how anyone involved with this project could be comfortable with walking onto that set, watching those episodes, and seeing how blatant the imitation is.

But that was the point. They couldn't get a Star Trek spinoff, they couldn't get a non-comedy sci fi show, so they backdoored it selling it as a spoof/comedy but evidently being more serious.

TNG was shit for two seasons with a few stellar exceptions so I have plenty of leeway to give.

>we kinda straddle a line between comedy and legit science fiction. we're kinda trying something new here

I'll wait for our boy Armond to give his two cents

for sure there will be a hollow deck singing scene but I think it will be more it parodying sci fi tropes which he's done on family guy and stuff before

Unrelated question but can someone tell me what the most famous episode of the most famous science fiction show in history is?

city on the edge of forever?

The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings?

>when you bait the normies but the trekkies bite instead

>>yeah, in 30 minutes we could really make it a sitcom, but with an hour- this is something that really hasn't been attempted

What is Farscape?

reminds me of george lucas trying to pretend episode 1 was daring and experimental

Is Orville pottery?

>Episode I wasn't experimental
What planet do you live on

Experimental =/= I liked it

Saw the Orville poster, with the font they used, I thought it said DRIVEL in the thumbnail. Had a smile at that.

episode 1 was experimental, and that kind of grand prequel concept was actually quite daring. It was also bad.

The only sci-fi comedy I liked was Megas XLR. Sue me.

Reason it's getting bad reviews is because the qt alien girl has no eyebrows.

Yeah but doesn't this just sum up Seth in 1 review?
>An air of self-congratulation hangs over the entire hour, as if MacFarlane, who wrote it, couldn’t get over his awe at his own bravery in engaging with a difficult, complex topic.

wouldn't that be the best of both worlds

Yeah this is him to a t

The one where Sulu chases people around with a sword while shirtless for whatever reason. Laughed my ass off.

The reviews have been terrible.

>TNG was shit for two seasons with a few stellar exceptions so I have plenty of leeway to give.
This probably won't last more than 6 episodes.

Yeah, but critics are cunts. It will be almost certainly be terrible but if it weren't them being wrong would be unsurprising.