Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GBW-p5eME_8
youtube.com/watch?v=G-b-CfHbPGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=DaIZvCDWAcQ
youtube.com/watch?v=493pL_Vbtnc
youtube.com/watch?v=NmAAEntLaYI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

for a more recent example

FUCKING AIRPLANE!. Not only is it a bad film by itself, it also inspired possible the worst genre in the history of film. That movie gave Seth McFarlane a career.

Comedy is very hit and miss - you either get it, or don't. It's not really about the movies - their popularity, age, or anything - just that if they click with YOU or not.

kys

Ghostbusters was more than just a comedy, you ignorant millennial queer

Animal House was so boring and unfunny I refuse to watch any of the other older National Lampoon movies.

Anything with Bill Murray is shit.
He talks too much and isn't funny.

Cornetto trilogy

I'll bite. Ghostbusters was never meant to be a jokey joke comedy. Dan Aykroyd wrote it as a supernatural fantasy adventure with comedic elements.

Interesting. I watched it recently and was surprised by how well it holds up.
youtube.com/watch?v=GBW-p5eME_8

Some Like It Hot
Annie Hall and basically every Woody Allen movie where the faggot acts
Back To The Future

>lol pub and beer and lads lol
>britishisms haha

Worlds End was especially bollocks.

>Women are funny, deal with it

>and can you please put some pants on, I find it a little weird I have to ask twice

that line was good

Meme-ty Python and the Holy Grail

How Airplane!, a movie I love, gave a man I hate a career? Despite some superficial similarities, their comedy styles are totally different

>Worlds End was especially bollocks
>world ending aliens
They could have done anything. But no.

Agreed. Ghost Busters (2016) was superior in every way. If people took off their nostalgia goggles, they would see that. Kind of like how the Sequel Star Wars was a better sci-fi fantasy with darker and mature elements than the original trilogy.

Absolute pleb, Airplaine is amazing

Airplane is terrible. It led to the Scary Movie films and all those shitty parodies.

Stripes
Brewster's Millions
Beverly Hills Cop
Spaceballs
The Princess Bride
Dr. Strangelove

Ghostbusters failed in every aspect, horror, comedy, and romance.

Fuck you, the Hot Shots movies are great.

>Anything with Bill Murray is shit.
>He talks too much and isn't funny.
I feel that way, but only when it's young Bill Murray. Why is old Bill Murray so much more funnier and likeable?

>Some Like It Hot
It's somewhat funny. Not hilarious, but not the worst comedy.

Zac Galifinakis carried the entire movie and it killed his career.

>The Princess Bride
HOLY SHIT THIS!!! I should've began this thread with The Princess Bride. I've never had to force myself to laugh more in my life. The Princess Bride contributed to completely destroying the comedy genre, it's absolute shit.

Well yeah we're talking "classics"

On behalf of the elder millenials, I hereby take the bait and for the record, totally disavow my idiot juniors.

35 year old here. I'm with you brother.

Airplane didn't invent this sub-genre of comedy that relies on parody and silly self-aware sketches intermixed with puns and ironic dialogue.

I never liked this even when it was released. Absolutely boring and unfunny movie.

I'm going with Superbad or Anchorman.

What?

>silly self-aware sketches intermixed with puns and ironic dialogue.
literally Airplane.

I didn't say it wasn't made up of that, just that it didn't invent that particular mixture.

alright, can't argue with that.

How can the greatest comedy of all time
be unfunny garbage?

Good catch, but Annie is more like a rom-com and not just pure jokes.

Same with a lot of the movies people are listing. Back to the Future ?

>hurf hurf im older this makes my opinion more relevant

Ghostbusters fucking sucked eat shit

What I'm taking issue with is OP classifying it as strictly a comedy when it combines multiple genres.

It really didn't, you just need loud explosions and (((quips))) every minute, as opposed to every three minutes, or somesuch.

You don't at all appreciate, for example, the humane humor in the scene where Bill Murray simultaneously bests his antagonist, and /wins over some guy/ with his perfectly-timed sales pitch: "IF WE'RE WRONG, NOTHING HAPPENS! We go to jail, peacefully quietly, we'll enjoy it! But if we're RIGHT.... and we CAN stop this thing.... LENNY. YOU, will have saved the LIVES, of MILLLIONS, of registered voters."

Logical, clean, funny. You really are dumb. Go do a snapchat session or whatever the fuck.

I unironically agree

Ghostbusters fails at those other genres too though.
Horror - not scary in the slightest
Sci-fi - little to no actual ghostbusting
Romance - Sigourney Weaver hates Venkman the entire movie and they have no chemistry

>hates Venkman the entire movie

That's not true.

>You don't at all appreciate, for example, the humane humor in the scene where Bill Murray simultaneously bests his antagonist, and /wins over some guy/ with his perfectly-timed sales pitch: "IF WE'RE WRONG, NOTHING HAPPENS! We go to jail, peacefully quietly, we'll enjoy it! But if we're RIGHT.... and we CAN stop this thing.... LENNY. YOU, will have saved the LIVES, of MILLLIONS, of registered voters."

That's not funny. Witty doesn't mean funny. This is the only funny scene in the entire movie. The introduction of The Destructor had potential to be funny, but the execution is bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=G-b-CfHbPGQ

Only redditors like and praise that movie. So you are right.

im young and hip.
go back to redit.

Maybe not hate, but she isn't interested in him. And he shouldn't be interested in her. Sigourney Weaver isn't ugly at all, but Venkman is set up to be a bit of a sleazeball in the very first scene when he's lying to the blonde student and trying to sleep with her. He's set up as a guy that prioritizes looks over everything and that characterization is kept consistent when he first meets Dana.

Sigourney Weaver is not a traditional beauty though, she has a strong jaw and isn't bodacious. The very first impression we get is that he'd be into someone more like Marilyn Monroe or Christina Hendricks and nothing is over done to challenge that impression, he continues to not be interested in her outside of how she looks.

Ghostbusters 2 is still shitty, but it's a better movie.

>Ghostbusters 2 is still shitty, but it's a better movie.
Stopped reading there. I hate Ghostbusters too but the second movie was the same as the first but worse in every way.

>Sci-fi - little to no actual ghostbusting

They showed as much as they needed to of that. If you want more of that, go watch the cartoon spin-off. It's honestly better.

The joke is that Ray thought of something totally innocent for The Destructor's form, but it's ruined by using a symbol that only exists within the universe of Ghostbusters. Nobody in the audience has a connection to the Stay Puft Marshmalllow Man. I don't think comedy should rely on references because it's lazy and becomes dated, but for this joke to work, it needs to.

The Destructor could've been a Snoopy balloon, or Woodstock. The Peanuts will never fall out of the American public's consciousness.

American Pie and Road Trip. I still like Eurotrip though.

>American public consciousness

fuck off third world cuck. Sharia law says its time to get off the internet and prep the muslim to fuck your wife.

>Stopped reading there.
That was that end of the post.
>I hate Ghostbusters too but the second movie was the same as the first but worse in every way.
It's more fun, it has more Winston, Dana is an actual character, a more interesting villain, the romance subplot is a lot better, Louis x Janine, and a better soundtrack.
It's schlocky and kind of kiddiefied but it has a lot more good than the original.

youtube.com/watch?v=DaIZvCDWAcQ

This.

CHECKED

The joke works fine thanks to the visuals, which kind of evoke similarities to brand mascots like the Pilsbury Doughboy.

Using an actual brand would have been way too on the nose, especially considering the actual instances of product placement in the movie.

Also, only middle aged women give a fuck about Snoopy.

prep the bull.

Boomer garbage

This thread is disgusting

That's like saying Alien inspired Paranormal Activity

blazing saddles

naked gun

haven't seen animal house, but that's probably lame as fuck

because young bill murray walked around with a smug satisfaction of being "bill murray"

old bill murray says very little, looks depressed, and lets the joke work around him

Animal House is distinctly American so I do wonder if it loses a bit in translation in other countries.

>this is jimmy fallon in the future after the drink takes over his life

>blazing saddles

name 1 joke.

Blazing Saddles is GOAT
youtube.com/watch?v=493pL_Vbtnc

Fuck you, Stripes is amazing.

Films like Airplane! and Hot Shots are hilarious for those 30 and over because they encapsulate the era when they were released. It was a happier, more care-free time. Everything didn't revolve around ego and trying to outshine everyone around you.

If younguns (1990+ kids) enjoy them then fair play but I'd understand why you can't.

>when the sheriff says to the old woman in the most sunny, pleasant and friendly tone possible: Good morning, Miss ___! and she calls him a nigger.

>the opening scene when the white workers save the minecart instead of the protagonist

>the ongoing fact that you're too much of a sensitive sally to appreciate it

all bring a smile to MY face

I'll agree with that. I was born in 1982 and have sort of an obsession with comedy from the mid-70s, especially early SNL and The National Lampoon Radio Hour.

>They called me............................................ Jim.
youtube.com/watch?v=NmAAEntLaYI

Blazing Saddles is a masterpiece, only low point is the farting scene, and it's not that bad.

>It was a happier, more care-free time
>what is the Cold War
>what is living in fear of nuclear winter
>what is the Vietnam War
>what is Watergate
>what is the Iran hostage crisis
>what is the Iran-Contra affair
What a dumb underage post, or oldfag with rose tinted glasses. The idea that people didn't have ego or tried to outdo each other before 1990 is also completely retarded, considering the 80s are completely characterized by neoliberal economic policies.

>b-but social media and smartphones!

You're absolutely correct.

>t. man with girlfriend

You are talking absolute shit. Young people had nowhere near the the ME! ME! ME! mentality then as they do now

trivializing the supernatural by making them normal exterminators is pretty funny.

I like the part where they shoot their packs at the lady, and then Murray goes "we thought you were someone else." I like when Egon goes "I collect spores, molds, and fungus."

Honestly I don't like Blazing Saddles very much either. Naked Gun is my favorite comedy though. Maybe just because the only time I watched Blazing Saddles was with other people, and I've always seen Naked Gun alone.

Comedy movies are just less funny when you watch them with other people, especially the older ones.

And you know this how?

GO be mature somewhere else

>what is the hippie generation
wrong again, you were just one of them back then so you didn't notice.
Narcissists and idiots have always existed, the internet just made them louder and more noticeable.

No, man with sister.

there are good bits in naked gun, absolutely. i liked when oj got shot a lot, bribing the dock owner, and the chalk outline on the water

but there's SO MUCH filler and stuff that is plainly not comedy, specifically toward the end when it has to have a big climax

I guarantee he was born after 1990.

>spaceballs
Spaceballs is not considered as a classic comedy lol

that sounds pretty hunky dory compared to world war II.

>Look mom, I'm being a contrarian again.

I didn't know this is considered a classic. Watched all 3 recently and enjoyed them all, but I don't remember much about the first except thinking that 2 was better

Nuclear War would have been far worse than WW2, and we got dangerously close numerous times.

This. The Cuban Missile Crisis is scary as fuck to read about.

would have, if it happened, which it didn't, unlike an actual war fought across the planet.

Sounds like somebody's scared because they though there was no meaning to life so they could be a decadent shitstain for 80+ years.
Oh boo hoo for you.

Are you replying to the right thread?

"the sheriff is near..."
GOAT of all GOATS
you have no fuckin idea
cause we don't need no stinking badges , lily lily legs