How's Your Webcomic? #325

It's time for webcomics again! Are you making one? Tell us about it. Share, share!
Prev:

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
design.tutsplus.com/series/how-to-draw-animals--vector-21311
bug-quest.tumblr.com/post/152798815305
youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
lezhin.com/en/comic/1st_us_contest_theworld
inkandrubbish.com/LaxLegends/
youtube.com/watch?v=1urMrFo2xSs&feature=youtu.be
freakanimes.com/collegeusa/
imgur.com/TiTzidO
bug-quest.tumblr.com/post/152831044460/
monster-lands.com/
aminoapps.com/c/west-tree-universe-amino
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

do I seriously need to bump this?
here, here's the image that was missing

>TFW I'm not even good enough for the scrub artist resources
Any good beginner level tutorials/classes online? With something like art, it's always hard to tell who's just talking out their ass when trying to teach.

that's a good attitude you have there, not all teachers are automatically good.
cant speak for classes, but a really good source got posted a thread or two ago
design.tutsplus.com/series/how-to-draw-animals--vector-21311

Wow, lots of stuff in there. Still hoping for more of a proper class type of thing, but a bunch of smaller tutorials like will certainly help a lot too.

Got tons of ideas, but breaking into books is very hard, especially since so many of my ideas would only really work as young adult stuff, but comics are much more open with that.

i suggest you sit down with some art you like and reverse-engineer it. look at how it's constructed (if you're lucky the artists will have blogs assisting with that), how it accomplishes what it accomplishes.. and if you can't do it on your own, ask guys like us about it. we might be able to help. just nerding out with people who have similar interests can go a long way towards really understanding the meat of something you otherwise just enjoy as candy

Honestly, I think that's even above my level right now. I've always loved faeries and have a couple dozen short stories and two or three novels written, but I haven't been able to find a publisher. The final straw for me was when I stumbled on a Camilla d'Errico book and absolutely fell in love. Just for the record, that is Camilla's art, not mine obviously. I'd really like to be able to do something with the melancholy, dreamy tone in the vein of those, or CLAMP's Clover. I've been practicing but not seeing much improvement on my own.

I'm also still thinking about And Then Emily Was Gone months after reading it, but I don't think Iain Laurie's more grotesque style fits my writing at all. Same with Woodring, though his stories are some of my favorites.

ah okay. well, a lot of that is the soft coloring, which is something I'm pretty inexperienced in. otherwise I think you should practice a lot of different styles of eyes and pupil sizes so you can get that ethereal dreamy look. that's a major part of it.

Have you tried the construction basics just so you at least have figures to start customizing the features of? you're never too amateur for that.

Yeah, I've been practicing a bit, but without a solid tutorial, I feel like my foundation and basics aren't anywhere close to me being comfortable enough to improve or experiment on. It's like trying to build a house from scratch without a blueprint and then trying to give it a style after the fact. I definitely need more help with the basics than anything else right now and then I can start worrying about how to emulate or create a style after I can draw a consistent and recognizable person at all.

i hear you. But maybe these scrub resources aren't as beyond-you as you think.

Maybe when a third person shows up to this thread they can give you some better tutorial reccommendations.. I wish I could help myself.

not sure.. where everyone is...

I've just made the apex webcomic.
Pack it in boys, there no point in continuing.

weirdly reminiscent of Stickin' Around

terrible

I disagree

Who are you to judge? Let people makes up their own minds, snob.

bug-quest.tumblr.com/post/152798815305

Okay

I think I got this under control.

I may be able to get this down in time for november 18th (exactly 2 years since it started)

When i'm done with that, I think ill change my name to 'Jam' (or LandBeast, maybe - one of the two)
Mediocre Scrublord was always kind of a meme name. I was like, 13.

Try checking out drawabox.com.
Also Proko on Youtube.

aw dude i love scrublord. i'm going to reference it in my comic someday, because it has great anagrams. I have that written down, it's planned. it abbreviates nicely too, my good blord. blordy. rublo. scrubbles. eh whatever do what you want.. but JamBeast is more memorable at least.

anyway I'm glad you're under control. I've been struggling to write for the last few days and it's nice when you get that feeling of getting back behind the wheel now that you've finally got your maps.

i have fond memories of people shouting "SCRIMBO", "SCRIMBOMB", "SCRIMBILLION", "SCRIMBLES", "SCRAM-BOP" etc at me.

It was catchy i suppose, but i'd like the change. Jam is nice.

I can't believe it's been 8 days since the previous update.

I know this isn't the actual guy posting but... wtf black nips?

just though id let you guys know, from my few weeks of absence ive been taking a break from comics, and practicing. I started basic drawing classes, and plan to start a life drawing class, so ill report what comes out of that in a few months. for now, here's a picture of pams butt i drew a few weeks ago.

I don't know about a cohesive class (at least not a free one), but there are quite a few youtube channels dedicated to teaching various aspects of art.

youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
This video is a pretty popular one to link. Exercises like these can help you build up your drawing muscles and get your art to look more clean and consistent. That makes it easier to learn other things too, because you won't have to focus so much on just getting a line straight or drawing a circle, so you can pay more attention to whatever you're studying.

That said, I think if you're really still a total beginner the most important thing is just to draw a ton. Try to fill a sketchbook per month. Because the bad news is, your everything needs work, but the good news is, you can still learn something from drawing pretty much anything. So have fun with it. Then once you don't feel completely like a fish out of water you can still go for a more structured approach and work out specific issues.

Racist

oh and this other one I drew a couple weeks ago aswell.

>black nips

nice perspective shot. i'm glad you're taking classes, strawbles.
freckled clavicles are a lot of fun, but those boobs are pretty high. Remember, when you're looking down at the torso, the clavicles form the top of the weird-shaped cylinder we're made of, basically functioning as the front-side version of shoulder blades.. so in this view you'd want them further down and more converging. you'll get it though. keep working on those skeletons

> etsy store
> 0 sales
This autistic depresses me.

Bump.
Wall of text is better now, but probably still not good.

Bonus comics for after the book

How do you come up with this? Would you mind livestreaming your next comic so we can see your process?

Bumpin'.

Hmmm. Don't know if this counts:

lezhin.com/en/comic/1st_us_contest_theworld

I got third place in a webtoon contest. Webtoon is the name koreans give to their webcomics. I had never done one in that style, which kinda shows (exposition everywhere) but it was a pretty fun excercise which I really reccomend.

Neat art, but the constant closeups are kind of annoying. I can't get a good feel for where characters are in relation to each other, what the spaces they move in are like, and it removes all dramatic potential for a sudden close up when every single shot does it. I get that it's a lot more effort to draw backgrounds and full body shots and maybe you were under a tight deadline for the contest, but please try to zoom out a little more in future chapters.

Thanks!

Still no idea if there'll be any future chapters, though. The editors told all the winners that it was a possibility, but they've remained quiet.

meanwhile in my comic, my protagonists finally met

inkandrubbish.com/LaxLegends/

You don't know? Do the organizers have the rights to the comic?

Bump.

that's cute.. have I seen you before?
gotta ask, does the space at the bottom signify something?
I tried opening this and the last file and alternating them to see the difference, and it looks as if wind is blowing the leaves and fur around

I made a choice that i think goes against most of my past decisions, this comics protagonist is going to start off already grown (Physiologically). I thought i would be a different story since i could put myself in his shoes just to better understand what i can do.

I need to try really hard to execute this comic. And sketches won't be enough.

Moving slowly every day.

I should be moving into all the linework and coloring after adding the last few characters. Adobe draw is a blessing.

a neat design for sure. one of the rare cases of that kind of eye-corner-nose that I actually like.. even if I'd still like it more if the tip went down a little further
100 points for chupacabro

>"Yeah! I'm gonna work and upload some good stuff today!"
*Sees an artist present a whole bunch of really impressive stuff*
>"... Oh."
Does anyone else here feel like this at times? I guess it's just being nervous to show some of my work when someone else with way better skill can do it better. It's a bummer.

Maybe i'm off... So between these two whats the optimal choice?

Depends on your definiton of "Better Skill"...
Thing is its okay to feel inept, because that what should really drive you to better your own resolve.

If you take a look at this thread you can see every artist has a slight advantage and disadvantage over the other.

One guy might be amazing at Anatomy, but there's someone else with great Expressions and a unique understanding of color. One artist might draw background so realistic and beautiful you might start to look at every comic to see their background and evaluate them.

To conclude, Just post it. Best thing you can get from this is a critique and the sill to strive for excellence.

This guy >Use to draw like this. The Boner Loincloth

that is one subtle difference. the biggest thing i'm noticing is the eyes are at more of an angle in the first one.
but yeah the first one has a slightly longer nose and I think that helps. the bigger the space between the tip of the nose and the mouth, the more unintelligent a character looks (see incredible hulk) because apes have a long space there. so you're doin just right. and i love the little mouse guy

IIRC they have exclusive rights to publish the work for a year, but if they want to do something else with it (I don't know, a tv show or whatever) I still have input and $$$.

>lasercheese.jpg

>and it looks as if wind is blowing the leaves and fur around
Hah, yeah, the improvements are getting pretty subtle considering how long I spent on them. Probably a sign I need to finish up and move on.

As someone who wasted years on being too nervous to show my work myself, I'm probably not the best person to tell you how to conquer that feeling. But I feel fairly comfortable telling you that it can really hurt you in the long run, so you mustn't give in.

Post your work. Everyone's anonymous assholes here, we won't bite.

I don't think a difference that minor is worth worrying about. It's a really minor detail that will be lost in the unavoidable variations from panel to panel, especially once you factor in expressions and perspective.

Can you upload more chapters to the site, though? Or would you have to wait for a year and publish somewhere else if they don't okay it?

Time for the first ask!

youtube.com/watch?v=1urMrFo2xSs&feature=youtu.be

Ask questions if you want!

Though, if you want a clear awnser, you'll have to choose your character wisely.

I wish I had the kind of energy to animate shit like this

It's pretty easy man, I made this in only three hours.

For curiosity's sake, how long do you usually spend on your comic pages?

Well, for West tree, it's about 1-3 hours depending on how complex it is.

College Usa takes about 30 minutes to and hour.

I don't think I've seen College Usa. is that like USA or like usagi?

It's an alleged parody of Dumbing of Age that he keeps posting in the DoA threads in spite of frequent protests that it's completely unrelated.

It's pretty much an alternate universe of West Tree and is a parody of DoA.

freakanimes.com/collegeusa/

oh right, I remember this now. didn't know you kept it up
willis certainly needs a new orifice torn, but since I don't read DoA I probably wouldn't appreciate the parody

Well, I mean, I've made it so that you can enjoy it as it's own thing, I mean, it's still a product of West Tree and the characters still act like themselves, so you might enjoy it.

WIP of the next page!

no need for the second ? in panel 4
uncomfortable*
forced my* hand
disappointed*

interesting hatching in this one. very interesting.

Problem Sleuth tribute.

Throw the slice of pizza to bait the boys out of dangers way with one hand, and shoot the rocket with the other

Hey, thanks for posting this! I was just wondering what I should practice for today.
Hope you don't mind.
imgur.com/TiTzidO
Hope I didn't mess her face up too hard, your faces are pretty stylized.
Good luck and have fun with the life drawing!

bug-quest.tumblr.com/post/152831044460/

Makin Headway.
Gettin' Her done

unstable*

also wow really nice scenery layout here.

well if I'm going to marry her I'd better meet her parents..

On my website, I use the empty space to stretch the panel away from the buttons, so that it doesn't look so cluttered. It matches the background, so it can't be seen normally unless you saved the picture. There's nothing important down there really.

Huh, that's one way to go.. but you could also have just put an invisible table on the site to space things out

A new chapter of Monster Lands is starting, so here's the cover page.

You can read my webcomic here: monster-lands.com/

Finished this page!

Getting artsy with the patterns and stuff.

so artdeco

bump

and again
cmon guys

these threads are a mistake. just let it die

Do you think webcomics will ever catch on? I don't understand why westerners can't shit out webcomics like Japan can with manga. Maybe because there's not much money involved but come on, it's not always about money.

And by this I mean bump.

it's cultural i think. japan has a buying-comics culture. people stop by a konbini and it's like eh i think i'll get this comic, maybe this fashion magazine.. they think nothing of spending MONEY on that shit
in america it's like fuck that i'm not payin for SQUAT. even when cape comics were big business they were being printed on toilet paper and sold for a nickel. everything past that has been built on that, and nowadays they see them as nothing but movie promotion. people are still willing to buy a movie ticket, that's ingrained in us pretty hard. part of our culture. you take your date to the movies, you see them with friends, etc.

The average web comic aims for shit, so they turn out shit. They look at outliers like ONE and the simplistic look of cartoons and think "i can do that" without understanding what made them successful. So they skip fundamentals and copy lowest common denominator stuff because they lack the work ethic and attitude to create something exceptional.

Just look at the average comic in this thread. Most criticism or negative opinions are met with hostility. People prefer a hugbox to a more critical environment like /ic/ (which as of late is getting pretty shit too). Westerners are coddled and all think their shit is special.

oh look at clever dan. I bet you think you're smarter than everyone here. well guess what?
you're also here
in the webcomics thread on Sup Forums

You're looking at it all wrong. People aren't doing webcomics just because they're easy and they want cheap success, they're looking at it as a highly accessible way to express themselves. The "me too" isn't something as crummy as "i want to be famous too", those people don't last long at all. It's a "I want to tell a story too", and they do. Forcing some kind of quality product standard onto them is only going to stifle their creativity and shows YOU have the fundamental bad understanding of what making comics is about.

Exhibit A, taking it personally. No interest in discussion, just "well SO ARE YOU".

What are the implications of my being here? How are they related to the points I made? The reality speaks for itself. I'll still read your reply, but won't bother wasting any more time with you.

Yes that is also an explanation to his question, but doesn't refute my response to his question. No one is talking abut enforcing quality standards, you can keep the thread however you care.

What am I taking personally? Your assessment of the threads? You weren't criticizing my comic in that post, you were just being a smug piece of shit who thinks he's contributing but isn't in the slightest, just speaking to be heard.
>No one is talking abut enforcing quality standards
then I must have grossly misunderstood you. what DID you mean by that post?

alright, having re-read the thread, I realize now you were replying to , and therefore not coming completely out of nowhere. I just got pissed off at how so much of what you said was bullshit, and overly-repeated bullshit at that, and I legit don't understand why you're here if you think that. we'd both be happier if you'd bugger off

Does anyone ever feel like the webcomic format is holding their story and art back more than it's helping?

In what way exactly?

So is your comic supposed to be purposely shitty, or is that just because of the art?

Sycra is another youtube artist to check out

I'm still in the writing phase, working the kinks out of the first chapter. Struggling right now with finalizing the design of the main character and conceptualizing the town. But I am planning on debuting it by the end of this month.

Synopsis: Aliens take a small mountain town into space on a 5000 year journey. No one ages, but you can still die from murder or other means. Main is a girl who is weak but put in very difficult situations.

Imagine under the dome mixed with lost and walking dead sort of drama. Once I get it up and running, I'll link it here for Sup Forums

I agree that the "looking for quality in a mountain of shit" factor is one of the main problems in webcomics becoming super mainstream, but I don't think it's because webcomic artists are particularly low-work ethic people - there's just no barrier to entry to keep all the terrible shit from getting published like there is with physical comics. Without webcomics, nobody would have ever seen shit like Jennfer's Show or Hathor the Cow Goddess - they'd just be lying around in a crazy person's house somewhere.
With the advent of online "publishers" like Hiveworks or that have an application process so that people can know ahead of time that at least the comic won't be the insane ramblings of a paranoid schizophrenic, I think that's about to change.

Yes, I purposely make my comic look shitty.

I have invested a small loan of 1 million dollars into a laboratory in California called Dewd industries, where I have tons of scientists researching and testing ways how to make my comic look as perfectly shit as possible. We create the shit, we smell the shit, and if were feeling daring, we even give the shit a little taste in order to deliver the most pristine shit out there that you can't find anywhere else.

Hope that answered your question faggot.

Oh lets be honest, print comics are frequently awful as well. There is no medium where you don't have to wade through shit to find the good stuff.

Yeah, but webcomics are really bad about it.
If Marvel publishes a comic, it might suck, but it's passed a few people with veto powers and it has an editor to check the spelling, artists that are usually at least mediocre at their art, a writer who's probably written other things before, and an implicit promise that the story won't just stop updating from one page to the next.

Compare that to the glut of webcomics made by people who can't write or draw or spell, and go on random hiatuses without any warning or resolution, wasting the time you spent reading.

West tree is now on amino! Become a member today!

aminoapps.com/c/west-tree-universe-amino

>Who knows, your feed back may even change how the series !

HOW THE SERIES WHAT!?

I'm curious Dewd, how many people actually read your comic?

Too much creative freedom and lack of a second opinion makes it tough for people who genuinely want to make good webcomics.

I swear to god that if Tim Buckley had a bit more sense and friends, he'd actually be half decent.
Same thing with Dobson and Alex Ze Pirate. Fun concept, but nobody was there to keep him under control.

Definitely. Say what you will about things made by committee being bland, but things made without ANY outside input are usually even worse.

I'm back with this, man, I can't believe I almost forget to make more strips due to that other work I'm sure no one will read.
In any case, before getting into colours, I'd like to check on with you in case I'm missing something.
Thanks to the user last time that helped me with the low angle fucks up I did. I hope I'm not wasting your good will by fucking it up again this time, I made sure to check, but you never know.