IT'S

IT'S

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/da8s9m4zEpo
youtu.be/M503sFDPthM
youtube.com/watch?v=PnSqlRi9fy8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sill better than Harry Potter, the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though

"No!" The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

fuck you rick berman

I thought this would be a Nutshack thread.

Is this /DeadMemesGeneral/?

BEEN

BEEN ONE WEEK SINCE YOU LOOKED AT ME

kek

So dense

OH SHUT YOUR FUCKING FACE

I smiled

I... may have gone too far in a few places.

That entire documentary on the Phantom Menace is a fascinating look inside George's mind and the eccentric ideas he was eager to present to audiences, not knowing the reaction that was about to come his way.

what is it with Ricks?

up there with Overnight and Hearts of Darkness. Watching a disaster in slow motion. Scene after scene of George saying weirdly stupid and kind of embarrassing shit awkwardly to his production heads and Episode 1 crew. Basically performing for the documentary with zero self-awareness.

youtu.be/da8s9m4zEpo

>IT'S
MONTY PYTHON'S
FLYING
CIRCUS-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S
*Trumpeting Fanfare*

Wher's the "it's so dense" part?

>00:01:06 - - This is real real this is real real real lots of real lots of real, real this is gonna be tricky, thats real lots of real real thats real whoops oh great AHHHHHHHHHH AGGHHHH I was feeling so good about my ability to do that and I screwed it up. (awkward laughs, sideways glances)
>00:02:06 - - I know this is going to work because it's impossible... The biggest issue is volume, there's a lot of STUFF and of course that's the stuff that creates the world.
>00:02:27 - - Jar Jar is the key to all of this, if we get Jar Jar working. Cuz hes a funnier character than we've had before
>00:02:31 - - John Knoll tries to explain that they're not where they need to be do reasonably accomplish what's being asked of him for the final battle, everyone laughs awkwardly while George just changes subject to the pod race and the big flipping lazer sword battle that they're also not prepared for.
>00:03:10 - - Kind of duplicating the Luke Skywalker role but you see the echo of... where it all is gonna go. Instead of destroying the deathstar they destroy the ship that controls the robots.
>00:03:24 - - Again it's like poetry. So that they rhyme. Every Stanza kinda rhymes with the last one (smug asshole face) hopefully it will work (looks around to check if they're laughing at his smug ass joke, they're not)

But that's not what i asked, i asked for the part where Mccallum says "It's so dense". Is it in another documentary

>~00:04:45 - - casting baby Anakin, George giving retarded direction to a terrible child actor and just vacantly approving it
>~00:08:40 - - Rick Berman arriving to English Rolls Royce soundstage
>~00:09:24 - - Spielberg gets a tour. Meets the "new storm trooper." George says It's gonna be great. Spielberg says THATS gonna be great. They repeat this back and forth.
>00:10:18 - - George explaining "the way he works" to his AD and Rick. Literally explaining The Fundamentals of WS then move in for coverage to a seasoned professional. Berman nervously sips coffee. AD asks him if he wants to say action, he's entirely hands off about it and gives shitty direction to his AD about what to do.
>00:12:13 - -Budget meeting. George: I don't care how we get it done. I don't care who pays for it. Our budget is $50 million. That's how much we have. (producers look at him confused). John Knoll, VFX sup and inventor of photoshop, again tries to voice concern after George's retarded comments. Jeff Olson (nervous bald guy, VFX producer) are both having a hard time trying to explain that they only have 2 wakes to fully VFX Jar-Jar's face etc.
>00:14:13 - - George, to John: The real point is how can we manage to change the operating procedures to completely revolutionize the way we make movies so that this is all doable, because it's not just this picture but its the next 2 pictures and and if this picture works everyone is going to want to do it on their pictures. And what are we gonna do? You know... (pic related response) nobody can afford to do it at these prices...
>~00:15:00 - - George introducing Jett to Ewan autistically while they shave his perfectly good hair and give him a retarded sideways rat tail.

>00:17:00 - - Jar Jar fitting. Jeff Olsen tries to explain that, because they are now doing Jar Jar fully VFX with just the actor there as a reference, they are wasting over a million dollars on having the actor wear a suit for no reason. GEORGE: WELL A MILLION SAVED IS A MILLION TO EARN.
>00:17:45 - - SFX and costuming team fitting the Jar Jar suit. Butthurt Creature FX supervisor says don't worry if the suit gets damaged (because it's a cartoonish waste of time and resources)
>00:18:20 - - George talking to a flustered Rick, again saying that the suit will help the VFX team when everyone is telling him it wont. Crew struggles with how to shoot motion capture with a big dub jar jar head.
>00:19:20 - - George telling Jar Jarto walk more like a cartoon nigger. They watch the footage. GEORGE: IT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD. WHEN YOU KIND OF (SQUINTS) WATCH IT WITHOUT YOUR GLASSES IT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD

That moustache guy can see the trainwreck coming

The ironic part about Mccallum saying this about the prequels, is that "dense" tends to be a synonym for "fucking stupid"

>~00:25:00 - - begging of production. Lucas obviously explaining gaffing to DP for the documentary crew
>~00:30:00 - - George, frustrated with Child actor, tells him it's ok if he says words wrong. Says "we got something useable there."
>00:33:52 - -Location shooting in desert. George isn't yelling action anymore, sits in the shade and yells cut.
>00:34:15 - - George LITERALLY SWITCHES TO AN AFRICAN ACCENT and asks Jar Jar, IN A FULL BODY RUBBER SUIT IN THE DESERT FOR NO REASON how he's doing. Jar Jar says he's hot. George says he's also hot. End scene.
>00:35:50 - - Full staff of wardrobe and costume assistants focused solely on keeping Jar Jar in his useless rubber suit from literally dying. AD justifies scheduling a shoot in the summer in Africa as being like a holiday.
>00:36:00 - - storm destroys desert set
>00:40:00 - - Jar Jar head placement test near end of production. They explain that, as they said would happen, the costume made animating harder. Lucas now passive agressively says, "so WE spent $100,000 on that suit when WE didn't even need it." And fucking Punished John Knoll is now in a position of having to defend and justify George's decision to George about the fucking the Jar Jar suit that he knew was stupid months earlier.

>WELL A MILLION SAVED IS A MILLION TO EARN.

Even the editor couldn't make it a coherent story

>~00:42:00 - - Post production starts.
>00:44:00 - - George saying to make the final battle more like water balloony.
>00:45:40 - - George in the Edit bay. They show him the boring, static shot with no coverage that he shot on set. George gets all wound up about "creating a shot" to green screen out the black guy so he stops moving. GEORGE: It's 3d Editing.
>00:47:00 Goerge leaves. Editor, frustrated to crew, "Well maybe you got what you wanted there. You got the George "I'm directing in the editing room" sequence. Which is what he loves to do JUST change the actors performances yknow... stares into middle distance... we've gotten into that in the last few weeks. We're in the habit of not taking ANYTHING for granted. If we can take one actor's performance from one take and resnych him with everything else we're doing lots of that. (nervously fidgets) To me... it's fantastic you can do that but it's opening up a whole world of you know that just muliples the number of decisions you can make it in a cut.

>~00:50:00 Go back into reshoot. Finally just reshoot JarJar in a mocap suit.

Am I wrong to feel that despite all it's flaws there are indeed brilliant bits in TPM as well?
I've always been mixed about this one. And I wasn't a kid when I saw it.

>00:55:00 - - ROUGH CUT REVIEW BABY!!! "It seems like a lot of short scenes." GEORGE: It's disjointed. It's bold, in terms of jerking people around, but.... I MAY HAVE GONE TO FAR IN A FEW PLACES.
>00:55:25: In the space of 90 seconds, you go from lamenting the death of hmm Male Hero, to ESCAPE, to slightly comedic with Jar Jar, to Anakin returning with his tag. It's a lot in a very short time.
>GEORGE: IT BOGGLES THE MIND... I mean I thought about this quite a bit and the tricky part is you almost can't TAKE any of those parts out now (everyone starts stupidly agreeing with him).
>00:56:00 - - Rick and George. Rick: When you think about the very first Star Wars, sitting in there (the rough cut screening) and it starts up and YOU DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL are...
>GEORGE: It is a very hard movie to follow and I've done it more extreme than I have in the past it's stylistically designed to be that way AND YOU CANT UNDO THAT. But we can diminish the effects of it. Slow it down a little bit. If it's intense for US.... a regular person is gonna go NUTS.

>that sinking feeling when you realize that Lucas lost his mind and you can't say anything about it or he'll cut contact with you instantly
>that additional feeling where you know hundreds, if not thousands of people in his employ must feel exactly the same way, toiling away at some lunatic's project, not even sure what to think of it
>madness tangibly overcoming you when you sit down with him at a video game tie-in meeting and he seriously suggests a character's name should be Darth Insanius

not in there unless I somehow missed it. I think it was in a promotional featurette.

lolol

Just goes to show you that when some people have absolute creative control they lose their mind.

Another shining examples is Coppola in Twixt, which is amateur-level garbage with moron-level special effects.

I was a kid in the early 2000s and grew up on a lot of shit. And now kids get decent movies.

>Literally every superhero movie except for Spiderman... Until 7 years later when 3 came out
>All the bad CGI movies that weren't Pixar like the Bionicle movies
>Pokemón eXDe
>Anime wannabes
>Star Wars prequels

I'm kinda jealous of kids today. They have an MCU, New good Star Wars movies, cartoons with great storylines and beautiful art.

>They have an MCU, New good Star Wars movies, cartoons with great storylines and beautiful art.

You have it too oldfag

>gives it an ethereal, otherworldly quality that the audience isn't even actively aware of
I like it

based pasta

5N@F movie with similarly built animatronics when?

been in development for 3 years, hasn't started filming yet

Your picture is the sound designer

>doesn't know Ben Burtt was the credited editor for the prequels

I think Disney should consider bringing back George for another movie, but in a creative consultant role. He's best when he's pitching ideas and has other people to filter out his good ideas from the bad and execute them into something worthwhile.

THE CURRENT YEAR

Don't forget Darth Icky

God, that scene where he realize that they made a shit movie is hilarious and sad at the same time. He knew that stuff didn't make sense, but had no time to fix it.

Why didn't someone just tell him no? They didn't even have to straight up say no, just talk to him and try to get him to reconsider the scene or decision.

He seemed so fascinated by the one that kind of looked like him.

I don't think there's that many great parts though. Qui Gon and Obi Wan are good. Despite Darth Maul not talking he was a cool looking villain. The final fight scene and music between Qui Gon, Obi Wan and Darth Maul too.

But even then, 2 of the best 3 characters died in that movie.

I found myself daydreaming the other day about what I'd do if I were given the "keys" to remaking the prequels from scratch. I'm not talking about a tweak here and there, I mean rebuilding it from the ground up.

**The Jedis aren't some elite cadre of soldiers, but an outcast band of knights whose existence is tolerated by the Republic but they're never given much respect or recognition.

**Anakin and Obi-Wan are only introduced as adults, already battle-worn, long past the teacher/mentor phase.

**Anakin is openly involved with whoever Luke's mother is. What splits them up isn't some overdone drama but, rather, Anakin growing increasingly distant when tempted by the excesses and hedonistic pleasures introduced by well-heeled politicians like Palpatine who exploit him.

**Anakin's wife is essentially abandoned by him. She finds comfort with Obi-Wan, who'd always fancied her but never acted on it. Once Anakin finally begins to realize what he's lost, he discovers their relationship and turns his back on them both for good.

**The Clones aren't some army. Wealthy citizens of The Republic are having innocent people's forcibly cloned for optimized body parts, a process which kills the host. The Republic is too corrupt to stop the practice, so the Jedi take it upon themselves to break it up.

the pod race is still fantastic though. the soundtrack is probably the best of the prequels too. The art direction is pretty good as well. Now storywise yeah it's flawed.

**Obi-Wan discovers Chancellor Palpatine's role in creating the clone body farm and tracks him down to his throne/palace on a lava world. Anakin anticipates Obi-Wan's arrival and the two square off. Anakin has Obi-Wan on the brink of defeat, but taunts him that after he's finished off, he'll wipe out their shared love interest next. This awakens an anger in Obi-Wan he's never felt before, allowing him enough of the upper hand and forcing Anakin into a lava pool.

**Luke and Leia's mother doesn't die in childbirth. She tries to stay in hiding with her babies, but Anakin can sense the childrens' presence when they're all together. This leads to the decision to break the family up.

**Luke's mother tearfully gives up her son to the Lars family (Owen Lars is once again Obi-Wan's brother, as in the original ROTJ novelization) and goes into hiding on Alderaan with Leia.

Originally padme was meant to die when Leia was like 7, but George changed it later on

I don't know if I would of hated kid Anakin if they had gotten a better actor. I guess grown Anakin would be the way to go

looks like a bunch of dragon dildos

Puppets to Pixels doc is actually pretty good memes aside

It shows George is great when it comes to special effects & has a real passion for it, but he really shouldn't have been behind the directors chair

that's a screencap from immediately after they sat in the edit bay making the black guy stop moving. He was absolutely editing that shit.

it should have been George's ex wife

you just know

Does puppets to pixels contain the so dense quote?

holy shit everything about fucking Jar Jar was a disaster from the get go.

youtu.be/M503sFDPthM
At like 7:40 there's actually a different quote of him saying it's so dense.

Alright which one of you made this?

youtube.com/watch?v=PnSqlRi9fy8

Now that we know how this timeline turned out, I think I'd rather have George going at it willy nilly, improvising at every moment, rather than the calculating and unoriginal people at Disney.

He wasn't "improvising at every moment." He was waffling. Being indecisive, insanely wasteful and delusional isn't good filmmaking. And the PT wasn't "original." It "rhymed" remember. He was knowingly copying the script beats from ANH for TPM, he was just a terrible filmmaker and the people that made it good in the first place weren't there anymore. He WAS calculated, he was just also incompetent and unable to see the woods for the trees or whatever. Unlike fucking narcissist George, Disney is actually hiring talented people to write and direct. Filmmaking isn't an individual endeavor, and the PT highlights that.

And fuck the idea that Billionaire Lucas and ILM and Lucasfilm were some scrappy independent underdog compared to what Disney is doing. he was way more of a cost cutting cheapskate aloof studio head type than anything that Disney is doing.