New Avengers Vol 2 Storytime (Part 1)

Welcome back Anons! I took a good long think on what we should read next, since the Heroic Age led to a lot of new books. I thought I'd force us through Bendis, and then move on past him. Let's get started with New Avengers Vol 2!

oh Immonen
i have no idea what this book was like

I probably shouldn't be thinking this from Bendis, but I probably should read some Hellstrom. All I know is from his Bendis appearances and a few bits in Defenders (so basically nothing)

It's better than his Adjectiveless Avengers book.

So yeah, this takes place at the same party Siege ended at.

i'm a sucker for JrJr and Kang but after that first arc I can't remember anything. like i think it was Hood and Infinity Gem junk

Danny, were you just keeping that dollar in your belt? Seriously, you don't have pockets on that onesie!

man I had totally forgotten Voodoo was Sorcerer Supreme. i remember he had a Remender book that died fast

who's the giant dude with Stature?

I went into my comic room, even on the collected trade Hawkeye randomly has those splotches of yellow. What the fuck, Marvel?

Yeah, he ended up healing Masque's face, and doing nothing else worth mentioning.

One of the Secret Warriors, Stonewall.

Good news Anons! At some point, enough people bitched at Bendis that he never did anything with Iron Fist for him to actually start doing shit with him!

Bad news, it's still Bendis.

You guys remember Victoria Hand, right? Now she's in THIS book.

Mansion > Tower

I miss it. i know it's like a hotel in uncanny and red skull is secretly in the basement or whatever

>Luke Cage is strong enough to do the Hulk's Thunderclap and send a woman flying backwards with enough force to break open pottery

Was it a book, or just a mini?

I think a book. Remender was a big fan of Voodoo, tried to use him everywhere.

They've had a lot of bases over the years, including a fully staffed ocean base (which, I feel like was made to sell action figures). But yeah, the Tower was never quite as good as the others.

Yeah, I haven't read much Hellstorm at all, but I can guarantee you nothing from Bendis or Fearless Defenders is really indicative of how he used to be at all.

I'm pretty sure he used to have more of a Thor style melodrama-played-strait feel, like something out of a Hammer movie, and nowadays he's much more "tryhard edgy Hot Topic goth kid" but as an adult, because haha Bendis thinks he's lame.

Thoughts on the "listed spells on the panel" thing that's been going on since Bendis started writing?

>"So you brought Wolverine here to STICK me?"

Use a bit more red dye in your hair, and he may do it for free.

it's a decent idea but i feel like you need something to back it up?? It doesn't feel like it's adding anything or helping with world building.

lol wut, really? When? that sounds very 90s.

I distinctly remember him being included in the Uncanny Avengers that occured just before Secret Wars.

>like something out of a Hammer movie

isn't he from that era of Marvel? 70s horror books.

also he and hellcat were a married couple for awhile..

So wait, doesn't this mean that Danny (or Luke if he repays that dollar) owns Tony's childhood home now?

Like, he's handing over the deed there, isn't he?

yeah he was in the original pitch for it but i think it took time for remender to get him.

Idk why Bendis gave the New Avengers more personality than the Main Avengers book that he was also writing at the same time. Or why bother having Wolverine and Spiderman on both teams.

So what do you think of this roster Anons?
Luke Cage, Danny Rand, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Mockingbird, The Thing himself?

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's REALLY hard to put Ben Grimm on a team and fuck it up.

To be fair, Bendis isn't so much "ruining" him, as much as it's just "not writing him well."
You want to see someone he's ruined, look at D-Man or Scarlet Witch.

it's a solid street team. Agree 100% on Ben.

It was THERE during the 90's, I don't know when it started. It got wrecked during Acts of Vengence.

Weird how they accept Hand despite the fact that she helped OSborn put a bomb inside Luke's heart.

>Or why bother having Wolverine and Spiderman on both teams.

Because they're popular, same reason they were on the first New Avengers team.

It's also jarring how Clint was moved to the main team. I always felt the New Avengers should have stayed together.

I think Hydrobase was also an attempt, as they periodically do, to get the Avengers out of New York.

Plus it let Under Siege's destruction of the Mansion sit for a while for more emotional impact.

Hey, if CAPTAIN AMERICA tells you to do something, you do it.

oh wait was that where Stringray had a lab or whatever? i remember that place

hail hydra

That last panel is mfw Fantastic Four return

I almost want to say someone TOLD him that, "No, Hawkeye has to stay with the Avengers."

>Carol immediately blames Skrulls

That's our Carol! (laugh track)

>that spoiler

That's why it's working so well for them. That wouldn't work if they got, say, Spider-Man.

Yeah, including Victoria Hand here still feels unnatural.

Very much so. He was part of Marvel's loosened CCA Monster/Satan push in the 70s and he married Hellcat when they were both long term Defenders.

Didn't Bendis also have Maria Hill as token woman "in charge"on the main Avengers book?

Oh, so he goes back to the Defenders? I'm only at issue 73, and he's been gone since before Gerber.

going down a continuity hole, fun trivia

>Patsy Walker #95 and the science-fiction anthology Journey into Mystery #69 (both June 1961) are the first modern comic books labeled "Marvel Comics", with each showing an "MC" box on its cover

>Stan called me into the office one day, and said he wanted to do a book called Mark of Satan, but this time, the hero/villain was going to be Satan himself. I went to a parochial Lutheran school, but I'm not religious, but I thought this was going to get us in trouble, and who needs it? I didn't even like the idea. So I went off and thought about it for a little bit, and I came back and said, "I think we're asking for trouble with Mark of Satan, but what if you made it Son of Satan? You could still have Satan as a character, but he's not the hero." It's a little different from [The Tomb of] Dracula, where the heroes were the human beings fighting the vampire. Stan loved it,

lol

Remove Wolverine. Like 1000% Remove Wolverine.

Otherwise... okay? Although this is post-OMD Spidey, so fuck him too.

Also, they could probably use a sciencey guy beyond Peter, who's science powers fluctuate wildly as the plot requires.

Other than that, solid. This is almost a decade into Cage being an Avenger, so fighting him as a team joiner is kind of a lost cause.

reading wiki it seems like Gerber was writing him in Marvel Spotlight and moved him to Defenders when that book got cancelled

What the fuck, Stan.

No, I think he used Quake for that. But they basically look exactly the same, so it makes sense you'd get them confused.

It barely survived into the 90s, and was replaced by a new and technologically improved Avengers Mansion after Acts of Vengeance.

So what do you think about this version of Bendis-penned Ben, compared to Guardians? I didn't read it because... well, I didn't want to.

It's gonna be forever funny that Maria and Quake have the same design.

Gave it a check and it's true. He put Maria in charge of the main Avengers team, but all she did was use a tablet to look up info on bad guys.

You said yourself, the plot requires a sciency-guy. In a better written book, that would be what Peter's there for. Sort of like how, in the Avengers, Beast got a lot stronger and more agile, because they don't need another science guy with Tony Stark on the team.

That's Rick Jones job!

>"We need a doctor. If only we had one... oh yeah, you STABBED the Doctor."

( And Sup Forums thinks Bendis invented Marvel's liberal culture trolling. )

Ah, remember when "Who would win in a fight between Cage and the Thing?" was a no-contest because of Cage's much lower power level/Ben having lost his powers and getting replaced by Cage as a temp?

So I never read the Hawkeye Mockingbird issue that explained the costume change, WHY does Bobbi randomly have goggles?

Remember Anons, Strange has been nerfed for a while now. This isn't the classic Strange, who could wiggle his nose, speak a rhyme, and solve the problem.

True. Bobbi (this bobbi) is hot.

Quake was meant to be a teenager, and she always has those power dampening gauntlets on.
Hill is an adult who is always angry.

>The spirit posessing Luke takes the time to fuck with Jessica for no reason other than because he can

Why is Peter being an asshole to Logan? Aren't they bros?

Like I said, I'm still reading Defenders now, and he hasn't been around since Luke joined them. Maybe he joins later.

What part of "looks cool" was so hard to grasp?

Oh yeah, the famous "Like an Egyptian Pharaoh?" panel.

It's not fair. Carol and Bobbi are ruined now. Reading this actually hurts.

>"For Satan's Sake!"

Comes back in issue 92 and they stick around until issue 125, apparently (Also, I think 125 is about when it gets rebranded New Defenders and features the reject half of the O5 X-Men)

I'm one of all three people who agrees, but I really do wish we got more Rick Jones.

Well that thing from the The Exorcist movie was a prick to everyone too.

I remember them fighting ONCE, and Ben punched him through a building, which then fell on top of him.

Patsy Walker is a dementedly old character and it's amazing she didn't go the way of Millie the Model, and she avoided that obscurity by becoming a Beast supporting character.

no one gonna talk about Danny one shotting giant possessed Luke Cage

I love her.

Well that sucks.

>From the books of Dormammu

MCU Mordo disapproves!

lol street level team

You don't mess with your bro, user?

>big time SHIELD Agent Victoria Hand takes time out of her day to swear in public

Wait until you find out who it actually is, and it gets weird.

>So go be an Avenger

The title of Avenger means nothing anymore.

Why bother? That's nothing compared to the time he took out an entire Helicarrier with one blow, which I think is his top feat, not counting The Living Weapon's weirdness.

>even the vaguely "demonic" beings use Bendis-speak

>But they basically look exactly the same

What are you talking about? Quake looks like Angelina Jolie from Hackers. Maria Hill looks like Angelina Jolie from Tomb Raider without the ponytail.

Completely different.

What is Immonen up to these days? Is he still on Star Wars?

Who called it a street level team? I never did.

>"You guys need a nanny."

Yeah, we'll get to that in a bit.

Also, I kind of forgot that Bobbi is also a scientist, but she's pretty specifically like a bio-chemist as opposed to your garden variety "super scientist" who knows everything about everything.

Black Knight would be an option for Science Guy AND Wolverine replacement, AND he has a preexisting working rapport with Danny and Luke

Remember when you could make Ghostbusters jokes without starting a flame war?

i always felt like that was the basic premise. This was the street team and Adjectiveless was the foes no single superhero can withstand

Bendis you're the one who ruined/killed Agatha Harkness

She's their SHIELD liason, so she may technically be one.

HUD stuff, basically.

She upgraded her mask to things with HUD stuff so her WCA spy home team could hit her up with updates and stuff.

What would the current Marvel civilians think of Yaaas Queen if they knew she's never seen Ghostbusters?

So are the webs even HOLDING the ghost things, or is Peter just wasting his time?