Ok, let's settle this Sup Forums. Is it worth seeing today on it's own merits...

Ok, let's settle this Sup Forums. Is it worth seeing today on it's own merits, or just a time capsule of late 90's/early 2000's culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N9jxfkHAmRw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a good movie and it has aged pretty well but the edgelords of Sup Forums will never give it credit.

Still is a pretty good movie.

Avoid the sequels though. They are even worse then they already were back then.

It's pretty gay now T B H

It was always gay, like its directors.

It's Keanu Kino right up there with Point Break and Bill and Ted

It's kino on all levels, a perfect specimen

It's a cheap ripoff of degenerate animu and Neuromancer.

The second one seemed like it was going to be an interesting sci fi movie at first, but then it all fell apart into yet another shitty action blockbuster in the end.

fuck off you edgy teens, it's a great movie
Op's question is silly, vfx heavy movies are always a time capsule of sorts anyway

First two are still great, third is mediocre.

My 28 year old friend saw it a few weeks ago for the first time and he loved it.

The thing that sucks for people who watch it for the first time years after its release is that the movie has been parodied to death and it has influenced so many others.

having cyberpunk tropes doesnt make it a ripoff

I started to think about this movie when thinking about Twin Peaks.

"We live inside a dream."

The Matrix trilogy makes even less sense than Twin Peaks.

Matrix is a computer simulation created by machines to control people and use them as batteries.

THAT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE8

Was he /ourguy?/

It makes sense if you think of the machines as the good guys.
Think about it. We create sentient AI, and start a war with it when we decide it has become too smart. It beats us and, instead of exterminating us as logic dictates, it keeps us alive in a simulation. In the first movie Smith tells Lawrence Fishburne that the matrix isn't a utopia because humans wouldn't accept that and their brains rebelled and died. So they created a realistic world to keep us occupied, where the rules are fair and, as long as you don't try to fight them, perfectly reasonable.
And, so that it's not a total loss for the altruistic machines, they use our bioelectricity to power the same machines that keep us alive.

The machines did nothing wrong.

Both.

It absolutely holds up today, and as someone who came of age in the late 90s, watching it still brings me to tears in terms of just how much we've lost, culturally, since the late 90s.

It was even more incredible than it looked.

One of the most under-the-radar aspects of the film that makes it great is the score. The leitmotifs and variations/swerves on them are god-tier.

why don't I have friends like you to to talk about film irl? everyone cares about is talking about how "badass" the IT remake was or how hot such and such actress is. I love you guys.

I have a friend his theory is that 9/11 fucked it all up basically. He might be unto something. I mean even culturally you look at the 90's list of movies, it's an insane list of great movies, you look at the 2000's and it's a clear downgrade in hollywood in particular.
I don't know man, I'm just freestyling here but yeah I tend to agree that we lost something

rewatched twice last week it still holds up even the cgi is good in some places its perfect

Everything went to shit when the faggots born in the 90s became adults

N-no bully ;__;

Fucking disgusting little reddit queers. Why dont you try not acting like a fucking woman?

But it's the baby boomers that are still in charge man. 90's kids are not even 40.

HOP ON

90s born queers are the vessel for everything from wrong with the world.

boomers are retiring, x-ers are running things.

Literally just watched it today.

Holds up extremely well. Dont watch the garbage sequels tho

you never met a millennial? brace for glory user

>mfw 10th anniversary bluray has green filter over all in-matrix scenes

it's a good transfer overall, just fuck that grading they did

>90's kids
They were born in the 80s. 90s born queers are completely different.

>tfw just watched this for the first time 30 minutes ago

It's still a nearly flawless action movie. No matter how many times you rewatch it over the years, you will still appreciate things like the lobby shootout and savor the dialog in scenes with Agent Smith.

Unless you're a pleb that is.

The concept of a simulated reality was more refreshing and provocative for people then, but it's still a solid theme.

it was a requirement to fill the void inside people that were paranoid of the new approaching millennium. I love these kind of escapism movies. it was the fashion of late 90s. fight club was also released the same year, so was LOTR.

90s kinos are TOP TIER COMFY

Sequels are equally garbage.

fellowship came out in 2001

The human characters are painfully shitty, none have personalities aside from Cypher, the story moves in a very clunky and unnatural way too. Visuals are 10/10 though, it's amazing how much worse the sequels look.

>90s kinos are TOP TIER COMFY
Holy shit, this. Everything that comes out today is so damn cold, mechanical and off putting, like robots made them.

>Holy shit
Fucking faggot. They know hyperbolic little shits like you will gobble it up regardless.

This is basically the gist of the Matrix story. Humanity had achieved a state of basic bliss where every need was accounted for, except the need to make others suffer. The machines were an easy outlet for that singular need until they rebelled and overthrew humanity.

The resulting slavery of humanity was meant to be poetic. The machines delivered to humanity that one thing they could not live without - suffering.

Fate it seems is not without a sense of irony.

> Is it worth seeing today on it's own merits

Yes. You fucking cretin.

youtube.com/watch?v=N9jxfkHAmRw

God have mercy on Man and Machines for all their sins.

Go home reddit.

>Go home reddit.

I'm sorry?

great and insightful post!

i just saw it yesterday again and it was an ok movie, the scenes are all well made. But the story is kinda meh, the sequels are bad and matrix 1 just feels like a part of a whole

Go home reddit.

>you are not the choosen one
>damn i am the choosen one

thanks for the (you)

matrix is overrated

All three aged pretty well and the time has shown that the first is slightly overrated and the sequels are not nearly that bad as everybody says. Just bear in mind that Matrix is cyberpunk fantasy flick, not some kinossieur's revelation.

The best movie ever made

Its good and so is reloaded desu

this

the matrix and alien are my fave movies of all time

take your STALKER, 8 1/2, and other faggot 10 hour foreign shit and shove it

pleb/10

Characters suck, story sucks, action scenes and visuals are good. Somehow the sequels managed to get that formula worse.

>Characters suck, story sucks, action scenes and visuals are good
That's a hot take right there. I wish I was as smart as you so I could analyze movies like high school powerpoint presentations.

Why was '98-'05 such a fucking comfy time period?

The Matrix is great
Reloaded is ok
Revolutions is a piece of shit
The Animatrix is great

Reloaded is also shit, but at least has some fun action pieces, which Revolutions lacks.

Which is why Reloaded is ok and not complete shit like Revolutions

it's still top notch action kino, absolute classic.

You don't need to be smart to notice any of the above.

Reloaded is just as trash as Revolutions.

the IT remake is good and has Chung-hoon Chung as the cinematographer, it's not immediately bad because it's popular you gigantic close minded hipster pleb get off my board.

Not robots studio executives who are far more cold and joyless than any robot.

There are two things that aren't trash in Reloaded, the Merovingian introduction scene and the first half of the highway escape. Revolutions has the war of Zion sequence. Trash movies.

If you think you can't get anything out of a movie not made in the current decade, you're hopeless.

This is the correct answer