Persepolis

What does Sup Forums think of Persepolis, the movie version specifically. But you could talk about the comic too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-H-cWXr-n5I
youtube.com/watch?v=rlIAmCfHzbg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was really good

i loved it but i should watch it again before speaking about it because i was a teen back then

Nice get, but yeah I agree. Some people think it's too "artsy" but I think it's a kick ass film. One of the best animations I've seen.

Great film honestly, no shitposting here.
The art style and animation was top notch, the story had it's ups and downs (I consider the time in France to be the films biggest low point) but was fairly decent all around, and of course it was really interesting to get a view into Iran and all the shit that country went through from the view of an Iranian.

one of my fav animated movies. i borrowed the book from a teacher but i couldn't get into the art style. i prefer the movie a lot more.

's good

I have not seen the movie, but the comic is easily in my btop 10 graphic novels of all time.

I remember seeing a clip of the author IRL and she's T H I C C as fuck

She kinda looks like Micheal Jackson.

Proof that the Iranian Revolution was needed.

Great film. I haven't read the graphic novels yet but the movie holds out on it's own.

About the comic, i think it was ok but wasn't too interesting to me. Might be because i read Maus before it and was excepting something similar and shocking.

That's just shitty.

> feminism at work

she gets chewed out by her grandmother later

Wow, what a harsh punishment for most likely getting an innocent man's tongue cut out.

her grandmother is one of the people she looks up to the most and she makes her feel like garbage for her actions, i don't know what else you want

you do realize that if she wanted to put herself in a good light she could've just omitted the entire anecdote right

>i don't know what else you want
I want to say that was a cuntish thing to do so I did.

>you do realize that if she wanted to put herself in a good light she could've just omitted the entire anecdote right
So? That doesn't magically uncunt what she did.

I'd say the movie is perfect the way it is. Purists will disagree, since the comic has more content.

Was it shitty? Yeah. The author does not excuse it. But at the time she thought it was needed. It does not excuse her, but you can see both the logic she had and the awfulness of Iran.

Fuck, forgot.

Marjane should've written ms Marvel.

I'd like to read the comic, the movie was good, I have it on DVD and it's one of those that I like to rewatch from time to time, how is the comic compared to it?

Great movie but it's weird how much taking the little scenes change the tone of the story.

They weren't plot important so I totally understand why they had to cut them but the movie ended up being a lot more depressing without the little bits of Marjane interacting with friends and family on an ordinary day to day bases.

I think he's saying that her cuntishness wasn't excused by the comic, and was even condemned by other characters in it.

Obviously no one thinks she did the right thing, but the comic does make a solid point that she wasn't doing it to BE a cunt. She was doing it out of fear, which often leads us to pretty cunty actions.

This is like literally evil. Third-worlders are actually subhuman. Why are we letting these creatures into real countries?

Why are you defending her having a random dude arrested? Would you defend rape?

Fucking male privilege in action, holy shit! I hate feminists so much.

Because we chased the barbarians over the horizon, then we convinced ourselves that there never were any barbarians not really, that those who warn of us of barbarians are just stupid, and that those we used to consider barbarians just need a bit of love in order to not be so...well not barbaric anyway.
Western society is a victim of its own success.

It's a good film. Her grandmother was the best character.

What do you think we should do, lock her up?

She's remorseful, she won't do it again, and we as a society gain more by keeping her free to spread the story of the depths that she sank to in a moment of weakness.

Excellent, probably one of my favourite animated films honestly.

>She's remorseful, she won't do it again
Shame about what happened to that rando though.

Wasn't the word for barbarian invented by the Romans to describe the britons?

No. Greeks used to it to refer to non-Greeks.

What do you guys think an autiobraphy is? You only telling the parts of your life that make you look like a saint?

You've ALL done something immensly shitty at one point.

The whole Iranian revolution is a shame.

And the fact that she's open with us about her shameful activity makes her whole narrative a valuable learning experience for us.

If she had hidden that shame, if she had just presented a narrative of "Everyone else did shameful things, but not me, I'm innocent", then it wouldn't be a good warning about the darkness that lurks in us all. But she didn't hide it, and it is a good warning. Thanks Marjane.

How do you expect people to react to those pages? Do you think it would be better if anons here would condone of what she did, or laugh about that random man's fate?

The author was brave for being able to depict herself as a flawed person who did stupid things. But I think it's nice that even on a website like Sup Forums, people can feel empathy for someone who became a victim of injustice.

The author is also a victim of injustice. Her whole country is.

The reactions that I see lack any empathy towards her as well.

Sup Forums isn't feeling empathy for someone who became a victim, Sup Forums wants to condemn a woman who fucked over a man.

Do you know where we are

>Sup Forums
You mean the 3 anons out of thousands who did?

>Do you know where we are
I don't know where you are but I'm 9inch deep in your mothers sloppy vag.

The comic benefits from having a slower pace and more time to flesh things out. It's a lot more informative.

However, the movie is a lot more emotionally engaging. I teared up in a few places. Plus the "eye of the tiger" scene is amazing.

>marjene shares an anecdote of a shitty thing she did to avoid getting arrested while living in a totalitarian third world shithole

>"REEEEE FUCKING FEMINISTS MEN R SO OPPRESSED AMIRITE !!!"

Sup Forums never disappoints

Isn't the woman in question a communist?

The movie has a couple of cliches. Which is something that really disappointed me about it. They also kind of left out some of the best moments in the comic while also adding some not too buenos moments
Overall the movie is a solid 7. The comic is a 9
Outta 10 of course
>uncle abolish
Fug why

I really enjoyed the movie. The comic is solid and has more content, but the animation really adds to the story, and it tells enough asit is.

Why must you make me so sad, user?

Based grandma

>I falsely accused some one of something and they went to prison and/or got him killed
>You're a bitch sit here and think about what you've done
That doesn't seem like the punishment fits the crime. But this is the real world so I guess it's normal for people to get off lightly for doing horrible shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=-H-cWXr-n5I

Well it's the same rule-makers she lived under that where either doing the imprisoning or killing and put her in that position.
Authoritarian regimes man.

Nah. Sure authoritarian regimes are shit. But she went over to them and they didn't even see her until she did and told them the lie instead of just going home and meeting the guy some other time.

She isn't entirely blameless.

youtube.com/watch?v=rlIAmCfHzbg

To be fair her grandmother basically calls her a bitch and a slut later so that was kinda satisfying.

kek

One of my favorite animated movies.

Did anyone else find the English dub bad? My friend and I tried it at first and switched back to French 15 minutes in.

Couldn't like the movie or comic since the protagonist is a self-destructive jerk with no sense of awareness.

weeb

Marjane is cute! CUTE!

Yeah man, look at that group of feminist women that pulled that guy away. I bet they're going to report him to the queen.

:^)

WATCH IT MARJANE

This

The girl is way too cute.

I quite enjoyed it. The movie left out too much, but you can say that of any film adaptation.

Oh yeah no, she was entirely at fault.

It's just we are all much more likely to behave like shit in shitty situations. It's a human thing..or a living thing.

I think it's a tendency for people reading about those living during atrocities to overestimate their own bravery. It's like how every Jr High student reading about Nazi Occupation thinks to themselves "If I was there I would _totally_ be in the Resistance. I'd Resist so FUCKING HARD."

Then you get scenes like the opening of Inglorious Basterds, with this stoic French farmer completely collapsing after 5 minutes conversation with Christoph Waltz, and you think "goddamn, they weren't fucking around."