DOCTOR STRANGE GENERAL IMPRESSIONS THREAD

I have only seen the movie yesterday so I probably missed the first barrage of threads, but what did everyone think of Doctor Strange?

Definitely top 3 MCU origin movie, with the single best finale of any Marvel movie. It didn't devalue the big bad, but still made the conclusion satisfying as fuck.

Cumberbatch sold me completely on the character, it was top notch visually from art direction to CGI, and I didn't expect to enjoy TAO as much as I did. I also liked to moral aspect of the story, which was surprisingly to the point.

The plot was a bit too by the numbers, but I immediately wanted to see more wacky magic adventures and read Strange books after the credits rolled, which is all that a Marvel movie could ask for.

Top 5 overall, imo.

the plot was probably simple on purpose, given that this was an origin story, but i don't really mind simple plots, nothing new under the sun after all

visuals are impressive, if you only need 1 reason to watch it, its this

How are the cams? Don't feel like waiting til January to see it.

Seeing it in a movie theater is really half the whole experience.

Saw it in Imax 3D was worth it

Really enjoyed it, but did anyone else think the characters looked a bit too goofy floating around in their astral forms?

Especially during that fight scene. I couldn't stop thinking about Casper the Friendly Ghost during that scene.

goofy, yeah

awesome, yeah

you cant have dr strange without indulging trippy astralness

Cumberbatch was shit as a surgeon, just fine as strange, and outshone by every other actor in the movie being fucking fantastic.

The plot was perfect, relevant, and without dumb shit just for the sake of screwing around.

What part of I don't feel like waiting til January do you not get? Why the hell even reply with useless posts like that?

I honestly wouldn't mind if Marvel scrapped the rest of the line up and just made Doctor Strange Adventures for the next five years.

It's the equivalent of listening to the Tron soundtrack throught a phonecall.

Deal with it, poorfag.

>watching cams
>in CURRENT YEAR or any other year
Do you have no standards?

Just pointing out that you're dumbass if you want to see the movie, but won't go to a movie theater.

>not flying to another country to watch it early in Big Screen

Must suck to be poor in a shitholcae

And what would I do at the theater? Say hello to the staff and have a nice conversation in the lobby then go home a few minutes later?

>CURRENT YEAR
January isn't current year, its next year.

Is there a country where the movie won't release until January?

If so, then you should have said so right away and not be a big fat dummy about it.

Wait anyway.

>hen you should have said so right away
>literally first post
You should stop trying.

I just assumed January was when the blurays came out you big baby. Talk clearly instead of shitting up the thread with your drama.

It was weirdly paced. I enjoyed it, but it has a lot of false climax moments, left me wondering what was meant to be the actual final bit.

Strange also feels very underpowered throughout the entire thing, like we never actually see him become the Sorceror Supreme.

Tilda Swinton's chinless bald head disturbs me too.

Wong said he still has stuff to learn when he puts the Eye back in its holder.
I'm sure he'll kick ass in MOTHERFUCKING THOR RAGNAROK THAT MID-CREDITS SCENE BLEW MY DICK OFF

his sorcery skills are great, but he's got a lot to learn before he can become sorcerer supreme

as fast of a learner he is, he is still way behind everyone elses skill level

So Strange's hands never actually healed to their original state, is that the case in the comics too?

It's not really addressed, like ever.

In the comics he goes to heal his hands then all the magic shit happens and all of that becomes more important.

He has no reason to be a surgeon again now that he's the Sorcerer Supreme

The last after credits scene pissed me off
>I took away your magic so you can't walk anymore
>that will teach you for using magic to cure your paralysis
>ok bye
I hate characters that have motivations like this. Just throwing a big tantrum and fucking shit up for no reason

How will they push Clea as stranges next love interest seeing as they basically left a big ol TBC sign on palmers forehead?

I went into this movie unaware that it was a Superhero film. The trailer grabbed my attention since I'm a huge fan of parallel dimensions and other bizarre concepts like that, and since Inception and Interstellar disappointed me so much I decided to give this one a shot.

Was a really pleasant surprise, perhaps not the smartest film around but a total joyride throughout. Loved the action scenes and seeing Strange floating around with his cape, beating bad guys up made me feel like a little kid again. I'd love to check out some other Marvel Superhero films I missed out on, so far people have recommended GotG, Iron Man 1 and the Captain America films to me

Man, just go with release order. You'll have your ups and downs, but will enjoy it as a whole far more.

Pretty solid choices, user.

Add Ant-Man to the list. There's a scene towards the end that you'll really enjoy if you liked the imagery of Dr. Strange.

I had a few gripes at nit picks with the movie but overall really enjoyed it and had a good time watching. Knowing pretty much nothing about the character I really liked Strange by the end of the film and though you could probably draw some similarities to other MCU protagonists I thought he was pretty unique.

I liked Mordo and Wong and would have loved to see more of the villain but something about Tilda Swinton seemed off to me. I dunno what exactly, maybe because a lot of the time she looked like a cartoon skull but she just didn't seem quite right in film to me.

Excited to see more of Strange, whatever he is in.

>I went into this movie unaware that it was a Superhero film

On what planet do you live?

It'll blow my mind if they give Strange a good amount of screentime in Ragnarok. That movie has all the right things going for it. I will never stop hoping.

Also
>tfw he raises the collar
>tfw he tells Palmer that he couldn't fill the void with her
that got a couple of genuine "o-hohoho"s out of the crowd

But he could fill Palmer's void.

Thinking of doing this

For some reason I always had the idea that Superhero films were just cashgrabs like the Michael Bay Transformers films, but Strange definately surpassed that by a lot. So I never paid the genre any attention.

>a good director
>Hulk and Dr. Strange
>Karl Urban
>Jeff Goldblum
>more Hiddleston Loki
>Natalie Portman is gone
If they manage to fuck it up, I'd be really surprised.

one heroic space viking magical epic is all I want. they have all the right components now.
they can shut down the whole studio afterwards for all I care

The quips. I hated the quips. I hated the people who bitched about quips in Age of Ultron, but I swear it was a joke every other line. We get it, you're witty. This wasn't a comedy, stop breaking the mood to show how dull you really are.

I liked Cumberbatch, but he was a bit subdued in his performance. The whole "I'M HERE TO BARGAIN" was too silly to be taken seriously. Overall it feels like almost every other character's first film - the first act of an unfinished film.

It was a feast for the eyes to be sure, but Marvel ruined the visual awe with it's ho-hum script and unfocused direction.

6/10 - Feast for the eyes, Sleep-aid for the brain.

I'm with you on this one. People have been bitching about quips in the MCU for years now, and while there have been some out of place ones, Doctor Strange was the worst about it. Too many that were too out of place and too not funny.

I'm here to bargain was fine by me, but good lord most of the Wong jokes aside from Strange stealing books through portals were flatlines for me. The goofier shots when Strange is sent through all of those dimensions was also disappointing. I enjoyed the surreal visuals, but some of those shots were trying so hard to be funny and failing at it. That could have been a really good scene if they either didn't try to include laughs in it or if they had someone with better concepts/editing/composition.

>We get it, you're witty.

But user, Strange WASN'T witty. Wong even points out that the people laughing at his jokes were the people who worked for him, kissing ass. Strange was shown to be making bad jokes to diffuse tension when he wasn't shining, rather than being witty and cracking jokes all the time to distance himself like Stark does, or being witty and diffusing tension while fighting like Parker does.

Fun flic, wholly enjoyed it.

eh, i felt that the humor was on point

The story was boring, and besides the trip sequence the effects weren't that impressive either.

I would agree that there were too many quips and most jokes went on too long.
I can forgive the wifi joke.
The "Like Adele?" was okay. But when he kept going with more names, it just fell apart immediately.

Or the cloak-related slapstick. Every one of those scenes could have been cut by half and they would have been better for it.

That being said, it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie.

Yeah, this was one of my problems with this film. Some of the jokes were okay and "mister doctor" got a chuckle out of me as did stealing books through portals but quite a few others seemed out of place,poorly timed or unnecessary . The cloak related slapstick was one of the worse ones.

the cloak is very specific, I feel. they gave it a lot of personality, which I appreciate, but I think they went overboard.

so I didn't understand

the cripple guy didn't actually heal, but is constantly using dark energy shit to keep walking?

>>tfw he tells Palmer that he couldn't fill the void with her
>But he could fill Palmer's void.
It is never outright said, but it is pretty clear to me that Palmer and Strange were fucking for quite a few years before his accident. It's just that it was a rather casual relationship. The back of the broken watch was meant to tell you that they were in love once, but that Strange was just not a very nice guy and they didn't progress very far. In short, she dumped him after he shouted at her.

not dark energy. just general magic.
mordo just went a bit nuts with his black and white worldview.

When Strange got that phone call in his car, was that potential patient they mentioned Rhodey?
I thought so, but after 8 years, can you really still be calling Stark suits "experimental"?

>was that potential patient they mentioned Rhodey?
yes.
I suppose the way they keep iterating on those suits makes all of them experimental.

The effects had the same problems as the Transformers movies. Huge things moving at a speed which makes you feel like they're not heavy, or even relevant. The whole shifting world thing was a nice visual, but utterly pointless to the story. The cape was annoying as fuck, all other jokes were okay. Fights were just a haze, you couldn't see anything properly 'cause of shitty close-ups during the fight.

I did like how it felt as if it were a comicbook. The resolutions were all very simple, yet effective. 7/10

Not a single empathetic character
They were too busy quipping instead of establishing anything to get you attached to
Not even Strange cared when bald monk lady died

Had good setpieces but was severely lacking on character substance

>without dumb shit just for the sake of screwing around.
dude portals in the library lmao
dude beyonce lmao
dude eminem lmao
dude wifi password lmao

It was alright, it felt... safe?

Didnt see much people when I watched it as well. maybe Super Hero movie fatigue is setting in?

It was alright. The effects were great and I really enjoyed Strange learning how to use magic. But once again I think Marvel failed with the villain. I was completely uninterested in Mads "story"

I'm usually not one to bring up the TOO MANY QUIPS WHY CAN'T MARVEL BE SERIOUS but them being funny right after Ancient One died really bothered me.

My backwater movie theater was almost full a week after the premiere.
Maybe it depends on the country/region.

I thought they said Strange training was going to span across the MCU? I really had a hard time gauging how much time had actually passed

>tfw audience fucking laughed at the freeze frame spinning shot of the chinaman tossing noodles on a pan

I'm not even fucking joking

useless to see the cams, the whole thing is a visual fx orgy.
If you dont want to wait you are shit out of luck

dunno, it felt like they really fast-tracked him. which is also why he isn't yet the sorcerer supreme by the end.

the movie seemed to have opened around the end of civil war because they mentioned rhodey, and ended foreshadowing ragnarok, so not much time could have passed.

No. They mentioned "some sort of experimental tank", which Rhodey's suit would not be called, seeing as he's the official Iron Man of the united states airforce. It was the guy field-testing Hammer's suit, who got his spine twisted around 180 degrees. That thing WAS experimental, and Hammer/The military guys would call it a tank to hide the fact that they were developing their own Iron Man armour that failed.

The movie can't have taken place after Rhodey got injured, because Shield had a file on Strange back in Winter Soldier. So it starts with Strange being a surgeon when Iron Man has just started showing up. Then he's off learning magic while the world gets crazy, saves the world and ends up on Shield's watch list, and then the after-credit's scene takes place after he's been keeping the world safe for quite a while. The Avengers Tower showing up at the start of the movie being a goof makes more sense than them voiding their own timeline.

I'm hoping that guy returns as a henchman.

makes sense, you are probably right

>It's easier to become a fucking wizard than a surgeon

This shit is supposed to take him years , right?

thats understandable.

Youll find good and bad movies as you go through release order, but you'll also find the one thing that make those movies standout, the shared universe.

Every one of the good movies is an attempt to a different genre within super heroes, be it a period piece a heist movie or a crime drama, but theres a reason why the marvel movies become so sucessful and it probably is that they tell stories WITHIN this fantasy world that each movie updates

he learnt enough energy to funnel into his wlaking and imedaitely gave up on learning more.

Mordo sees that as selfish and decided to disconnect him from the sources.

even the worst MCU movies don't qualify as cash grabs in my opinion. they contribute to the world-building at the very least.

my theater was full of people clapping at the screen and tipping when they bought popcorn in the interval

I fucking hate Cumberbatch but I actually enjoyed the movie.
People were, in my opinion, overestimating the amount of quips there would be comparing it to Iron Man. I didn't think it was nearly that bad.
And the CGI cape wasn't over done. Just enough of a presence that it gave one or two funny moments.
LOVED Mads, but then again that's what I went to see it for.
Was also happy to finally see what his role in Rogue One will be.

I can literally smell Mackey's cum all over you shill. Even my fob pajeet roommate who barely speaks any English knew it was a super hero movie. How fucking shameless can you be? Atleast have the balls to say that you loved the movie without trying to mask it

Same.
The film was awesome overall but i think it was too "compressed" if you know what i mean.
We see Strange train for what should have been some years for about what ,seem to me , some pair a months. They should have put a text saying the year every time they do a time jump, it could have given the idea of how much time had passed better.

>I'm here to bargain was fine by me
I was laughing, the rest of the audience was laughing. There's a better way to convey being trapped in a time loop that repeating the same phrase over and over. It was just silly. I don't want to make it sound like I hated this film, I think it was alright. It just wasn't as good as it could've been. It's like Antman and Thor - very solid concepts that worked well on film but were ultimately held back by a very cautious and very cheap Disney.

The problem is they want to make everything inoffensive and safe so they don't do anything memorable at all. I'm really struggling to come up with a reason to see the Carol movie coming up, and I've already written off Star Wars forever. Make better movies Disney, I'm growing tired of you.

more importantly imo, mordo saw what that guy was doing as going against the natural order. that's why he intervened.

he started to see all sorcerers as arrogant people who abuse their power for personal gain, hence "there are too many magicians in this world"

Same here, did I miss an inside joke or something? Everyone else burst into laughter.

>It's easier to become a fucking wizard than a surgeon

It kind of would be. To become a famous surgeon doing intricate surgeries you need to get the right clients to practice on and to garner you more fame which leads to more clients etc. and before that you need to be respected by your peers to get a chance to operate on the right clients with the right problems to gain new skills. With magic you just gotta learn what's there. If you've got a guy who's really good at learning due to having a perfect memory but is shit at interacting with people, just like Strange is portrayed, then magic would be the faster one to learn/achieve recognition in.

But I still think it took him years. His robes even changed/became slightly more intricate as the movie went on, which to me seemed to signify him gaining more mystical knowledge and rising in rank.

I guess you just live in shitty towns, because I didn't hear a single person laugh at that.
They were all too interested in the actual thing that was happening.

that was the stark tower from ironman 2, the beginning of the movie is set along ironman 2, the visit to tibet is after avengers ( the other masters mention avengers) and the ending of the movie is after avengers 2 and civil war

Like with any shared universe thing, its best to not be too specific with timelines because the weirdos that dont understand the super hero genre will start asking stuff like "Why wasnt strange and TAO in avengers 2 " or "Why doesnt batman just call JLA to defuse the bombs" instead of understanding that it would defuse any narrative and risk associated to the stories of the standalone hero if he just picked up a phone and called spiderman everytime he wants to change a lightbulb

It happened for me in the middle of sydney if that means anything to you

I don't get it, maybe they thought it was funny because it's not normal to see noodles stay still while the camera rotates? I can't think of anything else it could be

Yet in the films it felt like a month.
And saying that he really is talented for magic and learns fast doesn't help.

Maybe they don't know that that's how they're cooked and they all thought he was spilling.

Was it? I've been seeing people saying that it had the Avengers Tower "A" on top of it, to refute the start of the movie taking place along-side Iron Man 2. I myself don't really remember it well enough to say it wasn't an A, so I just chalked it up to being a goof if it indeed wasn't the regular Stark tower.

It was very clearly the Avengers Tower.

I was looking for an OsCorp tower too, but it moved quickly.

it definitely had the avengers A at the start of the movie
That probably just points to them not thinking things through properly, which is more likely than you think

It absolutely had the Avengers A on it, just saw it tonight.

So how many hours long will the Marvel Cinematic Universe movie edit be now?

>That probably just points to them not thinking things through properly, which is more likely than you think

The most likely explanation is that they simply told the special effects guys to "insert the Stark tower into this shot of skyscrapers", and the special effects guys just pulled up their recent files from when they've inserted the tower into skyscraper shots in the recent movies, because they didn't have the script on hand to tell them it was supposed to be the pre-Avengers Stark Tower and had no reason to assume.

I just watched it.
So stale and boring.
Great, but absolutely pointless visual effects.

This too for me. Too much focus on Cumberbatch, not much on anyone else.

Between this an Ant-Man Marvel movies have become extremely formulaic. The villain was trash, the fact that The Eye of Agamotto(spelling) was an infinity stone doesn't make a lot of sense to me because this whole movie feels extremely disconnected from the Avengers. And now I'm really starting to wonder how they're going to pull off Infinity Gauntlet.

Man, it's been 9 years since Iron Man came out and we're still fucking dealing with origin stories.

>But when he kept going with more names

I thought that was a nice bit of characterization, as Strange unsuccessfully tried to make the joke land on Wong. The Adele thing worked as a a joke by itself, the followup was as different type of humor, where we got to see Strange crash and burn at the iron face that was Wong. It also offered insight into Strange as a character, who up till now was used to succeed with pretty much everything.

>People complaining about jokes in a marvel movies

What the fuck it's like the 14th movie and people still complain about it.

Comic movies are meant to be FUN because are based on COMIC BOOKS, which are made to entertain readers.

We don't need to become dark and edgy with no jokes allowed. We don't want to become DCEU.

>we
Nigga Marvel is not your family business, they are a company that wants to sell you a product. Stop making excuses for them.

>And what would I do at the theater?

Watch a movie, duh.

I'd place it in the "Watchable for Fun" tier with the First Avenger, Winter Soldier and Iron Man 1 but nowhere close to the GOAT tier with Spider-Man 2, X2, Dark Knight, etc. that so far the MCU has only cracked with GotG

these posts are all the same

What did Winter Soldier do/not do that made you put it in that category? I'm genuinely curious because I think it's one of the best and I don't really see anything wrong with it.

The villain is shit, as always.