Are Japanese called nips because their flag looks like a nipple?

Are Japanese called nips because their flag looks like a nipple?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=38k58MbEPGs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What do we call the Belgians?

belgians?

woah...
it makes me wonder...

Japanese = Nippon
Nip for short.

but where did the japanese get the name from? seems like quite the coincidence that they designed both the flag and the name...

"Well now, the result of last week's competition when we asked you to find a derogatory term for the Belgians. Well, the response was enormous and we took quite a long time sorting out the winners. There were some very clever entries. Mrs Hatred of Leicester Said 'let's not call them anything, let's just ignore them' ... (applause starts vigorously, but he holds his hands up for silence) ... and a Mr St John of Huntingdon said he couldn't think of anything more derogatory than Belgians. (cheers and applause; a girl in showgirl costume comes on and holds up placards through next bit) But in the end we settled on three choices: number three ... the Sprouts (placard 'The Sprouts'), sent in by Mrs Vicious of Hastings... very nice ; number two..... the Phlegms (placard) ... from Mrs Childmolester of Worthing; but the winner was undoubtedly from Mrs No-Supper-For-You from Norwood in Lancashire... Miserable Fat Belgian Bastards. (placard; roar of applause) Very good - thank you, Carol. (Carol exits) But as you know on this programme we're not just prejudiced against race or colour, we're also prejudiced against - yes, you've guessed, stinking homosexuals! (applause) So before the streets start emptying in Chelsea tonight, Let's go straight over to our popular prejudiced panel game and invite you once again to - Shoot The Poof!"

Well thats not their first flag

>"jap", "nip"
>WOW UR RACIST
>"aussie"
>no problem white man :)

ah, thanks dude, that was fun to read

so youre saying they changed it once they found out what nip was in english? curious

Japanese have had some cool flags
m.youtube.com/watch?v=38k58MbEPGs

No, they call themselves "Nippon."

they changed it once they got nuked in the pooper twice by big daddy america.

Maybe the Portuguese

No, the Japanese call Japan "Nippon".

ah and because of this they felt humble enough to become the worlds nipple? I must admit it was very noble of them to take up the role honestly

Japan's name is actually 日本, which is read as either Nihon(にほん) or Nippon(にっぽん).

Japan is an exonym. Like how China is also an exonym, where as the actually name of the country is different from what foreigners call them.

well this thread had really made me think

Why do we even call it Japan if that's not what they call it themselves? It doesn't even make sense.

Well we first learned about these places by heresay, so we didn't know what they called themselves.

China is thought to be from a sanskrit word, that became an Arabic word, that then got transfered to English. Then it got to the point where that is just the word for them, and changing it would be annoying.

Oh also Imperialism and the general apathy about what the locals called themselves anyway.

So what the hell do the Chinese call china?

Home :)

They're called Japs. Vuile Jappen verdienen nog een atoombom, voor Indië.

All of you are retarded
see
on the nip thing

the rising sun flag was and still is the flag of the imperial japanese navy, even before WW2 the flag of the country itself was the red dot not the rising sun

Depended on the dynasty. Its official name currently is 中华人民共和国, or shortened to 中国 (ZhongGuo).

It's a su

"Nippon" is how they call themselves

"Sun"

"日”

They're called gooks

"Japan" apparently comes from the Chinese pronunciation of the same Japanese characters 日本, which would sound something like Jepen or Jepen-kwo, then when Marco Polo was in China he wrote it down using the latin alphabet as "Zipangu/Cipango" (pronounced something like chipango in English) and he introduced the word in Europe, which over time became Japan

There's actually some truth in this, I guess.

We called Japan "Nhat Ban" which is also based on the Chinese character and pronunciation. So "Ban" and "pan" is related, I guess. Not sure about the first word though.

日本 Nihon means "originating from the Sun" or something like that.

I'm just surprised that it doesn't really bother the natives themselves. I still find it surreal that native americans sometimes refer to themselves as indians. It's like embracing ignorance and taking it to the next level where it can never be undone.

Yeah, apparently Chinese pronunciation changed a little over time and that should be the one that was in use at the time Marco Polo was in China, nowadays the standard chinese romanization system would write it as rìběn/rìběnguó but I have no idea how that's actually pronounced

dont ever change

JAPAN
>NIPPON

JAPS
>NIPS

OP is fucking retarded and this is a slide thread

saged

Wasn't the origin of China the name of one of the westerner China states (so, closer to India), Qin?