Weekly write thread

>MANDATORY
I. You will pitch your work as if you were speaking to a producer/editor in order to sell him the project. You will take into acount the intended audience, the genre, the appeal and the atmosphere of your work among other thing. Don't hesitate comparing it to other existing works in order to be better understood.

II. You will give your opinion about the work posted just above your own. Describing what you liked about it, what you disliked about it and what you would change to make it better.

>FACULTATIVE
III. You will sum up what your did to improve your work this week.

IV. You will describe the main flaws and lacks in your work (according to you) and tell how you intend to fix them.

V. You will describe what will be the next goals you intend for the creation of your work.

VI. You will share other work ideas you have in a few words.

You can also ask your own questions, either to another poster, or for the whole thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JDSf3Kshq1M
youtube.com/watch?v=5LScL4CWe5E
youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This weekend I plotted out most of the story arcs on paper. Felt good to get them out of my head in the vague shape that they were in. Giving them some fork helped with the pacing and beats.
Each one is about a page long, so I need to actually script it out which will probably be the hard part.
I feel like I should talk to an artist about panel placements and such, but at this point I just need to get it down in paper.

>fork
Form.

Bump

I'll full out the mandatory/facultative stuff in a minute.
Bump.

I've posted before, but I'll go again.

My story is about a group of Park Rangers that are taking care of a magical, spirit forest (kind of like a mixture between the Mononoke and Nausicaa flora and fauna).

It's more of a slice of life kind of story, no huge overarching plot like that, but with a bunch of smaller one shots detailing the day to day lives of the rangers taking care of the woods and the creatures inside of it.
It would generally be kind of light hearted with some comedy in it, I do have some plans for some darker/sinister stuff as my closing story.
I'm guessing it would do better with teenage/20 something year old girls than with boys. Hell, it could probably be a webcomic.
A major point I'd like to get across with this story is the beauty and appreciation of nature and forests (my dad would always take my hiking as a kid and I really appreciate that of him) so there'll be a lot of moments of awe from the characters, whether it be the rangers or regular civilians.

As I put in , I outlined my major story arcs on Friday and Saturday. Was glad to do it, I haven't worked on it in a couple of weeks. Right now I have five shorts outlined which really helps just get it all out of my head and not just bouncing around my head.

Major flaws, I'm not an artists so page layout planning will be difficult. I also need to finalize character names and designs. Not too difficult, but it still needs to get done. The lack of the bigger overall plot and character arcs could be problematic, but I'm going for a more low-key atmospheric/easy-going kind of story in general. I don't know, I'll continue mulling it over.

Next step is finishing outlining and character refinement.

Another idea I had was a retro-future robot solving noir crime in the techno slums.

I'm actually going hiking with my dad right now to get some pictures.
What kind of inspiration pictures do the rest of you guys have?

I. A couple of bee-people defend their hive and the surrounding area from a variety of threats, including wasp gangs, small animals, and a horde of plant-based crimes against nature. Shenanigans ensue.

Atmosphere is generally light-hearted, though it does start getting darker after the previously-mentioned plant monsters show up. Aiming for around the 12-18 crowd, but it could be possible to adjust up and down a bit. Not too sure about potential appeal, in all honesty.

II. sounds like it could turn out pretty interesting if it comes out well.

III. Character refinement, mainly.

IV. If there's anything I've learned from this, it's that my overall skills as a writer really leave a lot to be desired.

V. Current goal is, aside from keep trying to be a better writer, to keep coming up with episode ideas that don't tie into the overall plot, and finalize some details about the characters.

VI. In no real order:
>Fury Road-styled black comedy about a drifter who finds himself in a series of increasingly horrible situations after accidentally killing a bandit king
>Sitcom where Satan trains his son for when he takes over as ruler of Hell
>Capeshit about a schoolgirl who finds out her school uniform is a living weapon

As for other questions, what are some ideas for plant monsters that don't use carnivorous plants?

bump

No writers today?

Back now, not as picturesque as I'd like but it was still nice out.

Care to expand at all?

I'll post mine later, but bump in the meantime

no, since no one care about what the others write and the will just post their shit and go

the biggest problem with this threads is the lack of content and the lack of links
its easy to just say "a boy falls in love with a girl" and then post some more stuff about it and leave
but since almost no one is doing anything with their works it comes down to just leaving a resume of their work

What do you guys when you lose motivation? Like I haven't had any good ideas in a month or so and everything I try to watch or read to gain motivation doesn't work.

I'm feeling really terrible about it.

i usually just give it time
or move to another project, then i also lose motivation on that one and move back to the older one

not the brightest idea but it works for me

Write an intentionally bad story.
It's really fun to just be cliche every now and then.
Or use writing prompts.

Sure, anything in particular you wanted to hear about?

Nope, I haven't had much feedback on it, so I'm interested to hear unbiased talk..

>what are some ideas for plant monsters that don't use carnivorous plants?

>plant that releases sleep spores so that animals will fall into a coma and dehydrate, fertilizing the ground at its roots

>plant that sprouted over the gravesite of a restless spirit and is now possessed

>Kudzu-like plant that can take root in living flesh

> Last of Us style zombie parasite except it's a plant rather than a fungus

>>plant that sprouted over the gravesite of a restless spirit and is now possessed
Stray cat?

Goddammit Araki, stop stealing all my good ideas years before I come up with them.

Shit I don't know, I just been writing like three sentences a night because I can't focus for five seconds. It was suppose to be parody of cyberpunk but I'm pretty sure it's not really anymore.

You should have a bee with PTSD from a hornet purge.
youtube.com/watch?v=JDSf3Kshq1M

Also, look up hive diseases that bee keepers have to look out for, those are the things you can morph for your story. Things like mites and fungus.

>Kudzu-like plant that can take root in living flesh
You know, funny you mentioned that - I actually had an idea for a kudzu-based creature a while back, though that was more of a cross between a Chestburster and The Thing.

>is the lack of content and the lack of links
I can only speak for myself, but anything that I have linkable isn't really appropriate to just let the masses read. I can talk about my story broadly, but I'm not going to lay my whole plot and characters bare for everyone to see before it's ready.
And since I'd like this to be a comic, I need to get it drawn for maximum effect, so I definitely don't want someone reading it.

bump

bump

It would probably be more worthwhile to actually try and drum up some discussion instead of just bumping a dead thread.

bumping.

I. The story could be classified as a 'Power Ranger' type story. However, the story focuses on the more disturbing elements of the genre, like the fact that children are chosen for the job, the entire role of characters like Zordon and Rita. The theme of transhumanism is also a major one in the story. The characters will be an example of ascending humanity and all that implies.

The target audience of this project would be people who are over the age of 15. For some of the concepts that are introduced are quite disturbing, though you would actually need to be capable of reading between the lines to understand the full horror or scope of some of the actions that occur within the story. For example, a character might state that they have done something in one issue and when you gain more information later down the story, you realise just horrifying that statement is.

There are three major things that I am using to appeal the story. The first would be the twists and turns that the story takes. Nothing, or at least, very few things are as they first appear. The second is the scale of the story. It starts off as a one city, monster of the week story before evolving into a cosmic war on par with something like Annihilation. The third appeal is the character drama. The characters are always going to be as fleshed as possible. That means that everyone will have flaws and strengths, not just the protagonists. The antagonists will have motivations for doing what they do, they haven’t just decided to invade other planets and kill on a whim.

II. Sorry, but it seems that most of the other posters have said all I really wanted to say about the story above me. I really have no that much to add.

I feel like your audience range isn't realistic? I don't know many teenagers who would really go for a sentai deconstruction.
Also, this would really hinge on your writing ability, if you aren't really tight on everything it's going to read like fanfiction. So I guess be careful with that.

Yeah. It's why I have to take a while to create each character and each story arc. Don't hate me for saying this, but I take inspiration for Hickman's Avengers with the project. The way he gradually brings everything to Secret Wars is absolutely fantasitic, even if the Crisis doesn't hold up.

As for the age range, I really couldn't figure out who apart from teenagers and those who were over that age who would read and comprehend a deconstruction story.

I agree about my writing style. That's why one of the biggest ideas that I had was that I at first established the characters and the world. I don't immediately go grimdark and gritty. I instead, established the world for all it's faults and strengths. That's when I deconstruct the tropes of the Sentai genre and the character archetypes. But I don't use my deconstruction to make those characters, 'edgy', I just try and show what they would look like a more realistic world.

The problem with deconstructionist work is that your audience needs to be familiar with the tropes and expectations of the original piece to understand when you subvert expectations.
Any piece of deconstruction needs to be aimed at the people who already consume the original, and 15 year olds sure as hell aren't watching sentai. Gauge the success of the Power Rangers film to see of there's interest for this kind of thing.

Also, your scope sounds really big. Have you done something smaller?
I always see writers try and create their epic when they've never even done a short story and fuck it up because they don't have the experience necessary.

Yep done a couple of stories, that funnily enough focus on street stuff. The idea that I have is that which arc, the scale increases ever so slightly. See, the one thing I learned through those short stories, is that dumping your world all at once does not work. As for the audience, I think you are right. Probably need to wait and see. However, browsing over a few forums it seems that people want a grown- up Power Rangers show and judging by the success of Gaim there may be a market

I was really inspired after trip to Holland few years ago. Made tons of pictures of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and other cities. Wanted (and still want to) to write a story about masked hero (something akin to Kamen Rider series) about fighting secret invasion of robotic aliens in decorations of old Holland cities, but still can't come up with good characters and story arcs.

Don't increase the scale linearly. Look up the ideal plot curve. It's a bunch of wobbles. There's a YouTube channel that does game design work and they talk about it with God of War and star wars 4.

The problem with short stories is that it's generally the characters that take vast precedent over the world. You generally don't need to world dump, so of you do the audience gets confused as to why the writer is spending so much time on it. Especially on something as 'low stakes' as street stuff.

Well the idea that I had was that it would start as a local threat for the first 'season' and by the end of that part it would have grown into a much larger one with the hints that there was more to come.

By the final bit, the scale would be a galaxy, but you would see exactly how it came to that. Thanks for the advice though user and could you link the channel?

My story follows the day to day life of a young police officer and his rise to the top

I'm its got a bit of action and drama but I don't know how to write action and drama any tips?

youtube.com/watch?v=5LScL4CWe5E
This is the video, they just talk about games, but there's still some good lessons in there that apply to writing in general.
And most of their current stuff sucks so stay to the archives.

Find good action drama books and read them. See how they do it.

Alright, thanks.

How do you keep a villain with lots of psychological issues, superhuman strength and explosive personality consistently scary?
I mean, at some point you just expect them to flip out and kill someone for a slight (whether real or imagined) it just loses the impact it had originally and starts bordering on self-parody.

Watch The Professional.
Stansfield seems like the kind of character you're talking about, sans super strength.

thanks, know any with simple fight scenes

Nope, but it's only a few clicks away with the magic of the Internet.

thanks again

What format are you looking to make?
Prose? Comic? Cartoon?

Comic.
It's too small for a novel, plus I want the visuals to go with it. Also, I don't have the connections to have it be animated.

>"a boy falls in love with a girl"

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

OP: youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
ED1: youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
ED2: youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
PV: youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
EP 1: youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
EP 13: youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

Found it.

Can't defy the Keit-ai!

I'm smelling some intense samefaggotry