Was there ever a time a adaptation surpassed the source material whether that be a movie or a TV show

Was there ever a time a adaptation surpassed the source material whether that be a movie or a TV show.
>Pic definetly not related.

Pretty much everyone says Blade Runner but I disagree

Kick-Ass.

Probably not. But i really liked the Watchmen movie. It was one of the last good comic movirs

Kick-Ass
Kingsmen
Civil War

not Sup Forums, but Trainspotting was an improvement. The novel was so aimless and scattershot, while the movie cut most of the fat out and vaguely focused the best bits through a loose narrative.

RED
Blade
30 Days of Night

>Civil War
This. That comic was a shitshow.

>30 Days of Night
I prefer the comic's art honestly.

A History of Violence
Road to Perdition

The Shawshank Redemption

Diary of a Teenage Girl. I found it better as a movie than a comic/novel/diary/illustory or whatever you call that one.

Any Millar adaptation

Including Wanted

So everything Mark Millar.

Marvel's Civil War.

Movie is just as much a shit show though.

I mean honestly they stop a biological weapon from being stolen, but because they failed to shield a bomb that the badguy set off, a handful of people die and they're acting like they're the cause and need to be put in check.

And it was like a super low number, like 10-25 people injured 5 killed or some shit.

The Godfather.
Game of Thrones the show has a better focus than the ASOIAF books, but the books aren't without merit.
As for /co), I think the Under the Red Hood movie is better than the comic.

Walking Dead

Guardians of the Galaxy

>Blade

Kinda yes. Seems like there are no Blade comics as good as the first movie. Blade movie was dope

>The Godfather.
Ever read the book? It is AS GOOD as movie. Both are brilliant. Actually maybe the greatest pair of book/movie to be made

They're both different, but the Hellboy films are probably better than the comics. And I love the comics.

Iron Man

Throwing in my vote for Kick-Ass and Civil War as well.

I also liked HTTYD's movie more than I did the first book at least.

Coraline

>Kick-Ass.

>Kick-Ass

How is it better than the comic book? The movie kept trying to make things brighter than they were in the comic. Big Daddy having a legit reason to fight the mob, Kick-Ass getting that girl in the end, Red Mist having initial regrets about betraying Kick-Ass, etc etc.

>Kick-Ass
Comic > movie

>Kick-Ass 2
Movie > comic

well it's not Sup Forums

The Shining.

Stephen King is super butt hurt the movie didn't adapt his story. The tone and 3rd act of the movie is much much better. The book is spooky and then goes straight shit hitting the fan and crazy. The movie is more haunting in its subtlety and insanity. They do different things, but it was a smart move to make major changes.

The comic was shit, while the movie was great. So that's that.

Welll, Kick-Ass the movie has Mark Strong so that makes it superior for that reason alone.

And then King went and made that awful made-for-TV version.

Nah man, I'm with you.
Blade Runner is a dumbed down bastardization of a good book and its cult following baffles me.
Tarkovsky's Solaris COULD be considered that by some, but I don't know. The book and the movie adaptation are pretty much apples and oranges.

>Shining movie
>subtlety
Let's get this straight. King is garbage and so are all of his adaptations. Shining movie can only be considered a comedy by anyone with taste.

I love the book, actually! I tend to think that the acting and directing of the movie really elevate the story and that all the subplots that were cut streamlined it more. But I agree it's a great novel. One of my favorite books turned into one of my favorite films.

>Red
It wasn't really an adaptation at all, though. Basically just a new story in a different genre with a few character names carried over

That's your biggest problem with it?

In the world of Civil War the shock and awe of being surrounded by superhumans has faded and been replaced with suspicion and distrust.

I'm sure movie Cap would have signed the Accords eventually, but they were trying to find and kill literally the last remaining thing from his old life as Steve Rogers so he had to go rogue to save muh Bucky