Is there such thing as an "overwritten" character?

Is there such thing as an "overwritten" character?

no

Never.

Yes

TRUMP BTFO

tfw coherent characters are considered overwritten

ur mom nigga

Thinking up a detailed backstory for a character is not bad writing in itself, it helps understanding how to make the character act in as many situations as possible; bad writing is constantly pretzelling the script to set up reasons for the character to bring up and showcase that backstory as much as possible

the
>le daughter le died
was too much.

also in general he has too much COOL stuff
>le secret agent infiltrating bikers for years
>le daughter le died
>le weird father who give no TV and only hunt xD
yeah ok.
at least they didnt add the ability to fucking see future but your nose bleeds.

>thinkin up ah detailed backstory for ah character is not bad writin in itself, it elps understandin ow to make tha character act in as many situation as possible, bad writin is constantly pret-zellin the scrip to se up reasons for tha characters to bring up an showcase that backstory as much as possible

if you think this character was "overwritten" or "overdeveloped" you have no knowledge of screenwriting or character development and should kill yourself

>you have no knowledge of screenwriting or character development
>ooooh you didnt have film 101 or read this and that AND DONT KNOW THE RULES SO YOU ARE WRONG

no man fuck off clown.

A plot can be overwritten, rarely characters themselves.

And I would say that the last three episodes of the first season of TD were certainly overwritten, so many unnecessary twists and turns accompanied by countless "let's go for a beer" exposition filled dialogues that by the end you don't even care about who is the killer anymore.

jej

I'll repeat myself until you reddit cucks learn it.

Season 2 > Season 1

wrong

Best goy.

of course a board of preteens is gonna love cheap philosophy, what do you expect? True patricians know that S2>S1

what are ya, one of them nazis?

also do you think Rust was a nazi? I think so. textbook alt-right personality

I liked both seasons equally and am really happy 3 is on the way.

No, in that the work should remain below the surface. If your character is still announcing shit that happened in his past to nobody's benefit, you haven't finished writing him yet.

>cheap philosophy
But practically no one's heard of antinatalism?

Trump is such a fucking marysue

Not a bad point.
Trump has wealth, women, a long history among the elite, sleeps only 4 hours a night, is uniquely charismatic, a celebrity with worldwide fame, has his name on buildings everywhere AND won the Presidency.

Yet nobody thinks of him as a gary stu because everyone shits on him.
Rust needed more people to be fed up with his bullshit.

>sleeps only 4 hours a night
That explains a lot

Don Draper is the archetypal overwritten character for me

For a show that apparently prides itself on realism and subtlety, I think Don's backstory is bizarrely complicated and overwrought. Every vignette into his past reveals some new sordid woe is me chapter. As if living in a stereotypical great depression farm and seeing his father get kicked by a horse wasn't enough, he has to have lived in a whore house, gone to war and got blown up, etc, etc.

I don't think it was necessary, and added almost nothing to his character or the immediate drama of the present. I think it would have been more challenging but more rewarding to draw the attributes that made him into the man he is from a more ordinary backstory, one that doesn't rely on a novel's worth of outlandish stories. No other character required it, why did he?