Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vo7RdOe5gJU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reason why 90's should be forgotten.

Imagine if Spider Man, Venom and Ghost Rider were thrown into a blender

this is what you'd get.

Because of your accidental birth?

Add a pinch of Doomguy, and you're good to go

corporate hitman got betrayed by his client. Blew him the fuck up.

because he killed a shitload of dudes, he went to hell

after he got to hell, the devil was like
>shit, you killed a lot of dudes. I want you in my army
"But I miss my wife though"
>okay how about I give you magic hell powers and you get to go back to the surface
"That sounds like it could no way work against me or have any ulterior motive"

So he returns to the surface to become edgy super-batman.
and then he fights various angels, demons, serial killers, supernatural threats, and gets into a bunch of biblical apocalyptic nonsense.

There's clearly some Prowler influence here as well. The gloves, the mask, and the cape.

Venom and Ghost Rider, I can understand.

But Spider-Man?

He's something to go through between pages of Sam & Twitch.

These contrarian youngsters don't get it. Spawn was THE comic character in the early to mid 90s. We all bought his books, his toys, watched his shitty movie, and the awesome cartoon. Problem with Spawn is that the comic books were being made up on the fly and the stories didn't make much sense. So, instead of meaningful resolutions to stories, we got no endings and ever changing plotlines (Spawn is a demon, no, a hero, now his costume changed and he's an angel? No now he's powerless, no, now he's the new God!)

The stakes were raised so high there was nowhere to go. We all burned out on him, and he faded into semi-obscurity.

There were some genuinely good Spawn moments. The Moore/Gaiman/Miller fill ins, Spawn/Batman is nuts, the first act of "Curse of the Spawn" was cool, and Hellspawn is edgy comics done right.

Most of it is shit tho DESU.

I fucking hated that self pity "we artists aren't treated like we should!" episode.
It didn't belong with the rest of Spawn and it was too badly executed to be taken seriously.

Great killer dies and is chosen to become a weapon for Hell.

Isn't that also Punisher?

>So he returns to the surface to become edgy super-batman.

Left out the part where the Devil sent him back 5 years after his death so Spawn had to deal with his wife getting remarried and having a daughter leading Al ( Spawn) to realize that he was infertile and never could've given his wife a child. He cries about this A LOT in the early issues

Also Spawn is one of the most powerful being on Earth, but every time he uses his powers a clock ticks down. When it runs out he'll be dragged back to Hell to await the coming war with Heaven. So Spawn is forced to deal with threats in ways that don't require his powers, hence all the guns.

And why was he allowed to leave Hell as Spawn? So that he can kill evil people thus bolstering Hell's ranks

Sounds like a less coherent Go Nagai comic, and that's saying a lot.

Yeah, 90's Image is a total guilty pleasure for me, but Spawn becomes unreadable after issue 100 because it was clearly meant to be the end of the series, but it just kept going. He has his big showdown with Malebolgia the demon lord that cursed him to become Spawn, Spawn wins and get's offered his place as a Lord of Hell, and it's still going 166 issues later

I'll never pretend Todd is a good writer, but Spawn is just really enjoyable trash

To be fair that was written by Dave Sim, who wrote Cerebus and is famous in the industry for being one of the most successful self-published creators ever, as well as decrying the stranglehold DC and Marvel have on comics every chance he gets.

McFarlane just did the art.

Edgy demon venom with a cape hosted by the corpse of a black guy.

Don't forget Deadpool because under the mask, he looks worse than Deadpool.

Don't forget Grendel.

McFarlane used to work on Spider-Man, hell he even designed Venom.

He's Venom + Ghost Rider.

Didn't a different(white) character become the new spawn at some point?

Anyway, Spawn and a lot of his villains at least look cool, if nothing else.

I read it years ago. Marathoned it until I don't remember what number. Had some ups and downs. Some ups were satisfying, but the downs (and there were a lot) were VERY down. Also that style of submerging the frames in textboxes is so fucking outdated, the worst thing to exist in the 90s, completely kills the flow.
The best things to come out of Spawn were the side-stories written by Alan Moore.

>Also Spawn is one of the most powerful being on Earth, but every time he uses his powers a clock ticks down. When it runs out he'll be dragged back to Hell to await the coming war with Heaven. So Spawn is forced to deal with threats in ways that don't require his powers, hence all the guns.
And then that was COMPLETELY FUCKING DROPPED.

What was with 90s anti-heroes having some kind of "ticking clock" with their powers that almost always ended up getting thrown out? In fact, they pulled the SAME THING with Flash Venom such that I'm starting to think that was supposed to be an intentional throwback to 90s anti-heroes.

being from Sicily, the fact that a fucking cyborg giant is supposed to go rampant here is hilarious.
we barely have highways.

You know what? I liked Spawn, sure I stopped reading it at some point around 100 but still liked it, it had it's own universe for the most part, I appreciate that in comics, sure it was dark but it never felt too edgy for me but just accepted that that is how it is, what else would you expect from a story centered around hell, besides it also had Sam and Twitch.
Also really liked the HBO animated series.

I like to think Iced Earth explains Spawn better than I ever could.

youtube.com/watch?v=vo7RdOe5gJU